Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, it was "I want it that way" by the Backstreet Boys. In my defence, I thought that was mid-90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
When the Doctor Who movie debuted on Fox - "Always Be My Baby" by Mariah Carey.

When I graduated college – “Smooth” by Santana featuring Rob Thomas from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

When I finished grad school – “Foolish” by Ashanti.

When my stepdaughter was born/Rose debuted – “Candy Shop” by 50 Cent featuring Olivia.

When THE COAT was born – “Happy,” Pharrell Williams.

:cripes:

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 29, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I am exceptionally proud that when I was born, the British #1 was The Chicken Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NemkBVSnUt0

Hoooold a chicken in the air!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I never understood the fascination with Singles. Even if I liked the song, what I was going to do with just one? Put in on a loop?

At least albums had ~1 hour of entertainment.

Top Selling Album in Finland when I graduated from High School:
Nightwish - Wishmaster

Top Selling Album when Rose was shown here for the first time in September 2006:
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death :rock:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

When the Doctor Who movie debuted on Fox - "Always Be My Baby" by Mariah Carey.

When I graduated college – “Smooth” by Santana featuring Rob Thomas from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

When I finished grad school – “Foolish” by Ashanti.

When my stepdaughter was born/Rose debuted – “Candy Shop” by 50 Cent featuring Olivia.

When THE COAT was born – “Happy,” Pharrell Williams.

:cripes:

When Matt Smith was born, it was Jack and Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp. :corsair:

What a horrible derail, I apologize profusely.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

whatsabattle posted:

What a horrible derail, I apologize profusely.

Anyone here born when the song from The Rings of Akhaten was #1 on the charts?

Besides, why worry about a derail? This is probably the only thread in TV IV Deadpool doesn't look in on!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 29, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently mine was a Nickleback song, whom I did not know even existed by the time I graduated high school.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 30, 2015

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
"SOS" by Rihanna, which heavily samples "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, which is featured in the Doctor Who episode The End of the World. Boom, two degrees of separation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

adhuin posted:

I never understood the fascination with Singles. Even if I liked the song, what I was going to do with just one? Put in on a loop?

Listen to another song afterwards?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CaptainYesterday posted:

"SOS" by Rihanna, which heavily samples "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, which is featured in the Doctor Who episode The End of the World. Boom, two degrees of separation.

Apparently we graduated high school the same week, because it's SOS for me too. But I lived under a rock back then, and hadn't even heard the song itself until months later in college.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

adhuin posted:

Turn it over and play the B-side?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

adhuin posted:

At least albums had ~1 hour of entertainment.

Ha-ha. I usually got the opposite comment from people.

"Why do you buy the whole album? There's only one or two good songs on an album."

No, you listen to poo poo performers who can only make one ok song.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Nick Briggs sighed as began casting a series set against the history of recorded music. "MOTOWN OF THE DALEKS", "NASHVILLE OF DEATH", "PRISONERS OF SUN RECORDS"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

After The War posted:

Nick Briggs sighed as began casting a series set against the history of recorded music. "MOTOWN OF THE DALEKS", "NASHVILLE OF DEATH", "PRISONERS OF SUN RECORDS"

I can't believe you forgot Hotel California.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Horror of Glam Rock

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Horror of Glam Rock

Which already has a sequel about a band covering the hit from a one-hit wonder. Big Finish did the thing already.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

computer parts posted:

I can't believe you forgot Hotel California.

...OF DEATH? Time loops are reserved for Shearman.

Bicyclops posted:

Which already has a sequel about a band covering the hit from a one-hit wonder. Big Finish did the thing already.

Zygon Who Fell To Earth being so closely released to Boy That Time Forgot made for an unpleasant Magrs-does-Lidster period in my release date runthrough. Thankfully, I got to The Ultimate Adventure soon afterwards, and it was exactly the remedy I needed. Daleks and Cybermen goofier than ever, ridiculous dialogue (actually written for children), direct descriptions of what the characters are seeing, ham, ham, ham... it was a blast. Only thing that bugged me were some tacked-on songs for the companions that didn't fit. Not the Mercenary Space Bar owner's song, though, that was :krad:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the day I was born, the number -one song was "Bohemian Rhapsody", because it was re-released after Freddie Mercury died. The number-one album was Greatest Hits II by Queen. I have no idea what the number-one song was when I finished school: one of these ones.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

After The War posted:

...OF DEATH? Time loops are reserved for Shearman.

Zygon Who Fell To Earth being so closely released to Boy That Time Forgot made for an unpleasant Magrs-does-Lidster period in my release date runthrough. Thankfully, I got to The Ultimate Adventure soon afterwards, and it was exactly the remedy I needed. Daleks and Cybermen goofier than ever, ridiculous dialogue (actually written for children), direct descriptions of what the characters are seeing, ham, ham, ham... it was a blast. Only thing that bugged me were some tacked-on songs for the companions that didn't fit. Not the Mercenary Space Bar owner's song, though, that was :krad:

We also can't forget 1963: Fanfare for the Common Men. Probably one of my favourites just for the goofy Beatles stuff going on.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Peter Davison is the Doctor in...2112: The Solar Federation.

Or, since I've been FINALLY playing this game non-stop...

Jon Pertwee is the Doctor in...The Ranger With The Big Iron On His Hip.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just came across this little wrongity in the Toxx thread.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hot Fuzz is as good as Ghostbusters

No. Nothing is as good as Ghostbusters.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I don't know, the boy might be onto it.

(Ghostbusters wins, but Hot Fuzz and Caddyshack come really close to grabbing the crown)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

Just came across this little wrongity in the Toxx thread.

Normally I'd agree with you.

Let me put it another way: Hot Fuzz is at LEAST as well-made, if not BETTER-made, than Ghostbusters, on top of being just as outrageously funny and brilliantly-conceived.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

Normally I'd agree with you.

Let me put it another way: Hot Fuzz is at LEAST as well-made, if not BETTER-made, than Ghostbusters, on top of being just as outrageously funny and brilliantly-conceived.

It's not even close to being better made than Ghostbusters. Good Lord man. It's a very well made film, but it's not THAT good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Could be some of you are remembering Ghostbusters a little too fondly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Mind's Eye makes the best use so far of the new three episode format Big Finish has been using around this time (I have no idea if this continues), but it basically cheats it by essentially making each episode a separate story for each character. Supposedly an exploration of the subconscious desires of the Doctor's companions, the story's biggest strength and ultimate failing is that it relies on retreading ground many other stories have already done as well or far better, both in Doctor Who and broader media. There's nothing particularly wrong with the story, and it pulls off what it tries to do quite well... but I was left with a sense that I'd kind of seen it all before - though it predates the story by well over half a decade, it probably also didn't help that I'd so recently seen Last Christmas which takes a similar conceit.

On an unnamed planet, a military trooper named Ukarme is shocked to discover another human running around in the jungle, moreso because he's not wearing any protective gear. Shooting the man with a stun-gun despite his friendly behavior, he brings him back to his military research station where he, Major Takol and Professor Darrius Hayton try to figure out the mystery of who he is, where he came from, and how he survived in the lethal jungle without any protective gear. The man isn't much help himself, he surprises them by waking up and is very pleasant and helpful, but he doesn't know his name either, his title is the Doctor but beyond that he has no memory - he has amnesia.

This is a 5th Doctor story, by the way, you'd be forgiven for thinking I was talking about Paul McGann :doh:

The amnesia subplot goes NOWHERE, making it even more useless than it normally is. The Doctor has no recollection of who he is but quickly remembers his name, remembers his companions, remembers he is an alien - basically beyond the initial few minutes of confusion he's no different a character than he normally is. With enough memory back, he basically acts and talks and reacts in all the ways you'd expect the 5th Doctor to react, and though he makes it clear at the start of the story that he's only remembering the basics of his life and much of his memory is still inaccessible.... at some point it becomes clear that the story is purely being written for Peter Davison's Doctor and they've either abandoned the amnesia subplot or forgotten about it. He's just got his full memory back unremarked upon, at some point while listening you'll realize that he's just completely back to normal, leading me to wonder what the point of the subplot was at all.

The planet, it seems, has a "split-personality" - an eccentric orbit means it gets different lengths of days and nights, and the flora and fauna acts and operates differently depending on whether it is day or night. This is most clearly realized in the Jekylls - lemur-like creatures that are docile and friendly during the day and aggressive and deadly at night. They have evolved in a symbiotic relationship with an odd plant found on the planet, one which affects the minds of its victims, causing them to fall into a stupor that allows the plant to gradually absorb and digest them. The flowers keep the victims docile by triggering a dream-like state where they don't realize what is happening to them in the real world, adjusting as necessary to deal with any outside influences. The only ones "immune" to this are the Jekylls, whose behavior has been modified to make them essentially shepherds who bring victims to the flowers - usually the other creatures on the planet. The Doctor, Peri and Erimem landed on this planet and the latter two were immediately caught up in the flower's "spell", while the Doctor was knocked for a loop but managed to stay awake, suffering only minor and temporary amnesia as a result. Upon regaining his memory of his companions, he begs Major Takol - a tough, no-nonsense woman - to send Ukarme out in his protective gear to track them down. He does so and locates Erimem, and it isn't long before the Doctor is volunteering to be exposed to the flowers while Hayton synchs his mind with Erimem's and allows him to enter her dream and convince her to leave it.

A story with the basic idea that reality isn't real on at least one level (and usually more, getting meta as things go deeper) is hardly new, and has cropped up in various movies and television programs over the years and decades. There is nothing wrong with the concept (hence the repetition) but you have to do some pretty cool stuff with it (like Last Christmas did, I'd argue) to make it stand out from the crowd, and this story fails in that regard. Roughly two episodes worth of content is made up of the Doctor entering first the dream of Erimem, and then later Peri's after Ukarme finds her as well. This episodic feel works fine with the structure of the audio, with the over-arching story being allowed to flow without having to worry about stretching the rather thin content to make up three episodes. As the Doctor attempts to convince Erimem and Peri that they're dreaming while alien flowers try to absorb them, a small conspiracy is being unraveled in "reality" as Hayton reveals his scientific interest is trumped by a financial one, and we discover that Takol and Ukarme aren't quite what they seem to be either. In typical Fifth Doctor fashion, everything ends in death and horror as everything falls apart, night falls on the planet, the Jekylls break free, betrayals and counter-betrayals occur and escapes fail. The story ends on a rather downbeat note, with Erimem being heavily affected by what has happened in particular, and the Doctor asking her not for the first time if she wants to continue traveling with him. This time she isn't quite as sure that she wants to continue, though sadly this is a character beat that doesn't feel particularly organic.

In Erimem's dream, she finds herself leading an Earth Colony in the 25th Century that she has decided to build on the systems of governance she is most familiar with - her time as Pharoah. Things aren't going well though, for some bizarre reason people aren't entirely enthusiastic about operating under a system that hasn't been used for thousands of years. While her servants appear to be fully devoted, there are radicals calling for a complete overhaul of the system, including one in particular who is gaining popular support. While her adviser strongly encourages her to have him arrested and/or executed, Erimem is convinced that she can weather this storm, or even turn it to her advantage. Thanks to the fact this is a dream, the audio is able to get away with a lot of confusing or conflicting concepts that exist within her dream - advanced technology and ancient systems reside comfortably side by side, and Erimem's servants feel time displaced in their obsequiousness that feels entirely genuine as opposed to a put upon act. Even so, even Erimem notices (as you do in a dream) that some things make little to no sense, like the fact that one of her servants has served her for twenty plus years since she (the servant) was a little girl, which makes no sense at all given Erimem's own age and memories. When things start to fall apart in the dream as her subconscious deals with the threat her body is facing in the real world, she clings on to the fantasy tucked away in a panic room designed to keep her safe that simply keeps her barricaded up uselessly while her empire (and outside, her body) falls apart. The Doctor's arrival comes in the nick of time, as he forces her to face up to the discrepancies in her reality and realize it is a dream, which causes it to tumble down and fall apart. Pulling her into reality, the Doctor almost immediately heads out to deal with Peri, leaving Erimem to flounder as she tries to get up to speed with the actual real-world situation. Given the length of time given to it, Erimem's dream should have been an opportunity to explore the inner mindset and motivations of the character. I feel like this was the intention, but Erimem plays such a passive role in her own dream, and the fact she has to be saved by the Doctor, robs it of any real sense of impact. I don't feel we learn anything particularly new about Erimem, we already knew she was struggling to reconcile the futuristic wonders she has seen with her own time, her very different mindset and cultural values that make her almost as much an alien as Turlough or Adric. Interestingly, in the dream it is the Doctor and Peri who leave her, as opposed to the other way around, and I'd almost think that THIS was her major concern - a few audios have given me the vague impression that the Doctor is half-hoping she'd leave and even Peri kinda hopes she may go, but on the surface both are always keen to see her stick around. I suspect that it was intended that the latter be how we were supposed to view things, but almost from the get-go I've had this sense that writers were so unsure of how to deal with this completely new character that she never truly meshed with the established characters of the Doctor and Peri, and beyond the rather easy "let's make them giggling sisters/friends" thing she had with Peri, Erimem has mostly been a character who stands out for the wrong reasons, because she doesn't quite fit in.

Peri is in more dire straits, the flowers have moved into what Hayton has classified as a deeper stage of absorption, to the point that he claims Peri doesn't even really exist anymore. He wants to experiment on her, determined to figure out how the flowers work, and more importantly how to weaponize (and monetize) their abilities. With unexpected help from Takol, the Doctor is able to enter Peri's dream to, where he finds himself - to his great disgust - in a kind of lovely daytime soap opera with Peri as the lead female character. She has a wealthy and handsome boyfriend with a son (played by Thomas Brodie-Sangster of all people!), a jealously happy best friend and a life of leisure. Despite the length of time she spent on the show, Peri was always a bit of a blank slate, something that Big Finish attempted to develop themselves, and it's this character treatment that they work with in this story.... which makes even less sense, because while this story was made AFTER The Reaping, it is set chronologically before it. Peri looks for a replacement ready-made family because she has "lost" her own, but chronologically speaking at this point in her travels, her mother was still alive and as far as she knew was still together with Howard. Of course, in dreams things don't HAVE to make sense, so maybe the "loss" Peri is dreaming about is the sense that she abandoned or lost her family when she chose to start traveling with the Doctor after Planet of Fire. Subconsciously, that may be why everything starts to fall apart. Her "son" despises her, and her attempts to develop a relationship with him/assert her authority sees her wracked with guilt when she dismisses a complaint about a headache that ends up being a symptom of meningitis. She discovers her best friend and her boyfriend in a compromising position, and when she flees the scene in tears she is hit by a car. But when outside interference keeps her alive, her dream changes around her to take the changes into account - her "son" forgives and starts to accept her, her boyfriend reveals it was all a misunderstanding and that in fact he is proposing to her, and it's all wonderful and sweet and everything she ever wanted.... till the Doctor shows up and in a rather delightful line complains that she's borrowed her "life" from a lovely soap opera (which Peri has indeed been watching constantly from within her dream). In what is perhaps the strongest moment of the entire audio, as the Doctor tries to convince Peri that she is living in a dream, her "son" and boyfriend chillingly begin to threaten him, essentially becoming the voices of the flowers that are trying to eat her alive. Brodie-Sangster is REALLY good at this part, helped by the fact the actor has an otherworldly sense to him anyway - the moment where he coldly tells the Doctor he isn't needed here is REALLY good. Peri's eventual acceptance that she is in a dream is more impactful than Erimem's, which makes sense since she was in deeper - but again it proves a disservice to Caroline Morris, who kinda NEEDS the stronger material since she's already the "third wheel" simply due to being the Big Finish creation who came in to hang out with the pre-established television characters.

Back in reality, everything falls apart as the Doctor tries to lead the survivors to the TARDIS to escape. Without giving too much away, by the end of the story the Doctor is thoroughly dismayed by the events of the day, while Peri is still reeling from the very real feeling of loss she is suffering and Erimem is questioning her continued presence on the TARDIS. It all ends on a downbeat note, fitting for the story (and a nice tie-in to the feeling of the 5th Doctor's televised run) but also with a sense that there could have been something more. It might be cliched, but I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop and for the crew to realize that their reality was itself just another dream, and while the audio avoids that pitfall, it doesn't really have anything else in place - it feels like an incomplete story, one that could have been more engaging or memorable but decided just to play it safe.

Mission of the Viyrans, on the other hand, doesn't mind taking some chances. Set at some undetermined point after The Mind's Eye, Erimem is conspicuous by her absence and Peri is EVERYWHERE - literally. A virus (most of these one-off stories have featured some form of virus) has infected the people of a holiday-world and is turning them all into Peri, leaving her on the run as everybody she sees undergoes horrific physical changes and turns into a blank version of herself. The story is structured in a way where we learn off these events at the same time as Peri, whose memory has been deliberately wiped by mysterious creatures called Viyrans. They are terrifying in that they are disembodied and truly alien, they struggle to articulate themselves from a mindset that Peri can understand, are almost callously indifferent to her terror, forcefed her brain memories before wiping them, and berate and push her to answer questions and remember things without any context. Eventually, as the audio progresses, Peri is able to piece together what has happened, and from that point of view is able to finally connect to the Viryans on a personal level and achieve something constructive. While the Doctor is mostly sidelined throughout the story, Nicola Bryant takes the opportunity to shine and more than carries the piece, and the ending is extremely well handled. In a neat little twist, a final expository scene is included midway through the closing theme to give closure to the story - while not entirely necessary (it was obvious through context what had happened) it was nice to explicitly lay out exactly what happened. Of further note is the careful way of writing around Erimem's absence, with dialogue between the Doctor and Peri suggesting plenty of different scenarios but not tying them down to anything. I assume Caroline Morris will return for more stories (story?) in the future, but this one suggests it is set at some point after she was no longer traveling with them, either by choice or due to other, potentially more fatal circumstances. It is a nice teaser for things to come.

The Mind's Eye is a perfectly acceptable, standard story that has been done before and since and not just in Doctor Who. It plays things a little safe, especially considering the boundless possibilities of the dreamworld scenario it plays with, but while this means it never really rises above itself, it also never pratfalls or does something spectacularly stupid. I prefer audios that at least try, and this isn't one of those, but I can't say I particularly have anything against it either. Easily forgettable, but solidly put together and not at all a waste of time to listen to.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BSam posted:

Could be some of you are remembering Ghostbusters a little too fondly.

Clearly subtle indoctrination

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hot Fuzz is better than Ghostbusters, and what's more: Ghostbusters II is better than Ghostbusters!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I like certain parts of Ghostbusters 2 a helluva lot but that's just objectively false.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Hot Fuzz is way funnier than Ghostbusters, possibly because I've watched the latter far too much.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ghostbusters is a great movie but the jokes are actually a little thin on the ground and the characters and plot hang together loosely in places (Winston especially is underwritten). It really barely compares to something as tight and compelling as Hot Fuzz. I-m-o!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, not only is Hot Fuzz a hilarious comedy, it's also a genuinely compelling murder mystery, a horror, a police action flick. It somehow blends all these genres seamlessly without ever doing less service to any one of them, a feat it has in common with Shaun of the Dead.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I had a friend once describe Hot Fuzz as a 90-minute buildup to the greatest, funniest, most action-packed 30 minute punchline ever.

I don't know if it's better than Ghostbusters, but it's the best of the Cornetto films for sure.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hot Fuzz and Ghostbusters are both excellent movies, but neither of them are the apex of human cinematic achievement or anything.

(Now, Back To The Future on the other hand...)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FreezingInferno posted:

but it's the best of the Cornetto films for sure.

Now that I'll agree with.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TVIV>Doctor Who: Back off Cyberman, I'm a scientist.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
But does either Hot Fuzz or Ghostbusters give us THIS?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slz9HvCQMGE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I sort of enjoy The Blues Brothers more than Ghostbusters.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So, how many people in the world are there who have genuinely seen all of Doctor Who? Including all of the now-missing episodes? I'm going to say the figure's quite small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Theoretically some must exist. Diehard fans. Colin Baker says he watched the first ep back in 1963, and presumably a bunch since (probably excluding 1987-1989).

• Locked thread