Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
When I was young I was very confused that one person could be both the Doctor and Worzel Gummidge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
First time I'm really entering this Doctor Who thread. First things I got to ask.
I'm just starting out Series 8, and I'm kinda digging. Peter Capaldi is freaking awesome. Can you guys recommend me any other classic Doctor stories where one the classic Doc's that act similar to this one? I like cranky Doctor.

Now time for the odd part of my post.
So, I'm the type of person who likes diving into the muck of fandom's to find some weird, weird fan-creations. Mostly because I'm curious what the heck makes them think up this stuff. Since I'm fan of Doctor Who, I eventually found something quite weird. Since this is the Doctor Who threa,d and I haven't found a rule banning stuff like this, so what the heck.

[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4444371/1/in-this-world-you-cannot-change] In this world you cannot change[url]

Its a Donna/Master shipfic. Well, its kinda a ship-fic. It's hard to explain it.

The premise basically is that due to a series of events after Series Four of Modern Doctor Who, Donna ends up finding an amnesiac, homeless Master. Due to another series of events, the Master gains enough his memory, to know he's a timelord, that he is the Master of all. Throughout the entire mess, Donna regains her memories of the Doctor, and somehow both of them end up a few days before the Series 3 two-parter. You can already see the chaos in that.

The only reason I'm mentioning this fic in this thread, is because out of all the bad poo poo I've read in fandom, this is actually decent. It's more like a Doctor Who adventure, with Donna smacking the poo poo out of the Master. And due to the Master not fully being well, the Master, he doesn't murder her immediatly in response. And the twist at the end of the story actually is pretty good, for a fanfic.

Its the only time I can honestly say that a Doctor Who fanfic was decent.

So yeah, check it out, make your own opinions on it. It's your choice. I just thought it would be an interesting Doctor Who related thing to bring up.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Logical1234 posted:

First time I'm really entering this Doctor Who thread. First things I got to ask.
I'm just starting out Series 8, and I'm kinda digging. Peter Capaldi is freaking awesome. Can you guys recommend me any other classic Doctor stories where one the classic Doc's that act similar to this one? I like cranky Doctor.

"Vengeance on Varos."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Three and Six are probably the ones to go for if you want cranky Doctors. Three also lends a lot of visual cues to Twelve, while Six's actor (Colin Baker) has more or less said that Capaldi's getting to play the Doctor that he (Colin) always wanted to.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Give yourself over to Big Finish, too. Let it consume your soul.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Talking about cranky Doctors and nobody has mentioned the king of cranky Doctors himself, William Hartnell? Shame on you. My personal favourite Hartnell serials are the Time Meddler and the first episode of An Unearthly Child.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

cargohills posted:

Talking about cranky Doctors and nobody has mentioned the king of cranky Doctors himself, William Hartnell? Shame on you. My personal favourite Hartnell serials are the Time Meddler and the first episode of An Unearthly Child.

Time Meddler owns so hard. The Aztecs, too. Til she saw those two, my wife didn't like any pre-Tom Baker serials.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Hartnell is an amazing cranky old man, especially in the first season stuff before he softened up by necessity and became a warmer person. As already mentioned, The Time Meddler is a pretty great story because though he's softened somewhat, there is a new companion onboard so he has some fun at his expense, and then they turn his surliness/playfulness against the antagonist of the story in a way that works really well.

Colin Baker tried to recapture some of that sense but he was hobbled by a lot of stuff completely outside of his control, Vengeance on Varos is his best story but there are still a lot of crap it has to work around.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Harry Sullivan just put his foot in a giant clam. Inside a cave.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CobiWann posted:

Harry Sullivan is an imbecile.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm phoneposting so I can't go into the detail I'd like, but if anyone gets a chance in the run-up to the Genesis review to listen to I, Davros they really should. Despite a little prequel-itis, it serves as a great bridge between the manipulative Big Finish Davros and the hyper-focused monomaniacal character in Genesis. I also liked the gradual breakdown of Kaled society and it has the most :froggonk: explanation I can think of for where he got all those Kaled mutants in the first place...

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I just read Hunters of the Burning Stone, which collects Doctor Who Magazine's comic strips from 2012 and 2013. The titular story was the comic's 50th anniversary celebration, featuring the return of Ian and Barbara with the caveman tribe from An Unearthly Child turned into intergalactic super-hunters by aliens in a villainous turn that's equal parts very fitting and completely, totally insane.

Hunters was the strip's big finale to its own then-ongoing metaplot du jour, which I didn't find too appealing here, but it works well enough as a stand-alone anniversary story, too. It's a lot of fun, mixing elements from Classic and New Who rather cleverly. I have a soft spot for the DWM strips throughout the ages for just this reason, really: the strip is in a pretty marginal position when compared to the TV show, or even something like Big Finish or the IDW/Titan comics, which means its contributions to the canon at large are inevitably pretty minor too, but at the same time it's often able to play with past Doctor Who in all its more or less obscure forms more freely than the more mainstream stuff can. It can do stories featuring Beep the Meep or Shayde or Kroton the Friendly Cyberman and have just as much heft to them as ones with the Daleks or the Master. It's fanwanky, yes, and there's a limit they sometimes reach when it all gets a bit derivative and tiresome, but it's obviously by fans for fans, and its heart is in the right place.

The collected editions are very well done, too. I especially like the author comment sections at the end - these really made the Eighth Doctor collections, and I'm glad to see they've got commentaries for the newer strips, as well. They've got a lot of fun little tidbits in there (like how before he decided to use the Tribe of Gum as the villains, the writer was going to have the aliens give their psycho-metal space-hunting suits to the Aztecs from The Aztecs), and it's just nice to see how much care and work goes into what some might see as pretty inconsequential fluff in the back pages of a tie-in magazine. The old Eighth Doctor collections are, as mentioned, especially great, so definitely get your hands on some of those if you can.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I'm positive they just put that giant clam into the story because they realized if they didn't have something awful then they'd have made a perfect story and it would all be downhill from there.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Somebody please get The Clam as an avatar

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm positive they just put that giant clam into the story because they realized if they didn't have something awful then they'd have made a perfect story and it would all be downhill from there.

The clam is part of what makes it the best story. Doctor Who needs ridiculous cheap props or monsters to truly be Doctor Who.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today I learned (or was reminded) that Jon Pertwee was Croft and Perry's first choice to play Captain Mainwaring on Dad's Army. That would've been a bit :stare:. Perhaps not quite as :stare: as the hypothetical scenario in which the Third Doctor is played by Arthur Lowe, but :stare: nonetheless.

(Though taking a step back, hardly outside the realms of plausibility, since Pertwee was best known for comedy and music hall before he was in Doctor Who.)

Not only that, but he became a household name through being one of the three stars of The Navy Lark on radio, in which he played the ship's terminally light-fingered chief petty officer. He could definitely have done it, although in a completely different way to Arthur Lowe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So I'm almost done with my Series 8 rewatch and holy crap, I'm reminded of how loving bad In The Forest of the Night is. And not even for the weird "meds are evil" argument. It's just so poorly structured, scripted, and directed that it seems like it was improvised and thrown together at the last minute and rushed out the door. Were they paying too much attention to the finale to check up on the production team on this episode?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, anyone who has Archives, would you mind going back to the Forest thread for me and grabbing my initial bile filled review of the piece of poo poo?

I'd like to cross post it to the Toxx thread when it's time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The good thing about Forest is that it doesn't really progress the overall story in any way (Danny finds out Clara is still palling around with the Doctor, which he basically already had done in the previous episode) so it can be safely skipped if you're rewatching. Or just watching for the first time, even.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

Hey guys, anyone who has Archives, would you mind going back to the Forest thread for me and grabbing my initial bile filled review of the piece of poo poo?

I'd like to cross post it to the Toxx thread when it's time.

quote:

This episode was harmful.

This episode made me feel something- raw seething anger.

Honest to God, not the usual internet bullshit angry in a good way or angry in a fun way.

This episode was moronic, and HARMFUL to me personally.

I don't really care what anyone else has to say on this one. I'll listen to the thousands of ways you could redeem loving Christmas Carol, go ahead, that's all plot bullshit.

I don't care that the trees were magical or that the sonic screwdriver is a magic wand or that the problem just goes away or that the people aren't there or any of it because it's in the end just factors of a dumb story that isn't going to hurt anyone.

Clara CHOOSING to kill children instead of saving them? Not THINKING about the fact that they have a time machine that can zip around and grab MORE people? Such as parents?

That's pretty bad. That's god awful.

Here's what killed the episode for me and after which I, MYSELF, cannot enjoy.

I would have shut this episode off if I was not watching with others. I still almost did a few times.

A child is hearing voices, and ALL the Doctor can say is "why are you giving her medicine" out right stating that hearing voices is not a bad thing and is not harmful and that the child did not need medicine.

And since the Doctor is the role model of the show and this is a show for families including children, that means ANY child will hear that message.

Especially the children WHO NEED THAT MEDICINE.

As a brother who had a sister with schizophrenia and sociopathic tendencies? gently caress You.

As a person who has severe ADHD and needs medicine to function properly? gently caress YOU.

As a grandson who lives with his grandmother who has dementia?

And if that wasn't enough to piss me off, we have this WONDERFUL tid bit that is UTTERLY THROWN UNDER THE RUG- the military is going to be spraying CITIES with DEFOLIANT AGENTS?

HUMAN POPULATED AREAS.

As a grandson whose grandfather died due to lung cancer brought on because of exposure to Agent Orange?

Words, written or verbal, do not begin to cover it.

All of it, all of it just piled on, one after the other, made this an inexcusable episode of television.

If I wasn't as invested as I am in the series and franchise as a whole, this episode would make me quit watching.

I am dead serious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you very much.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I liked it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

I liked it.

I'm happy for you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The whole message of "meds for mental issues are bad" really soured me on Doctor Who as a whole for a while...I mean, did NOBODY who had script input on that episode realize what a lovely and potentially dangerous message that is to send? Didn't Capaldi or Coleman get to that point in a table read and go "What the gently caress?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: The Doctor gets sentenced to death for a parking violation and Lucie is desperately trying to get to the pub.

Long Synopsis: The first episode of season 2 of The Eighth Doctor Adventures, the Doctor is hauled into court after being caught exiting the TARDIS which he has landed in a no-parking zone in London, 2008. To his surprise, the judge is the infamous Hanging Judge, except he doesn't look like him and clearly has no idea of the man's personal history. Time shifts back several centuries before the Doctor's eyes, and he is sentenced to death, along with "Springheel Sophie", a tightrope walker accused of theft. Meanwhile, Lucie who was doing some shopping in 2008 while the Doctor waited finds herself in early 20th Century London. Her attempts to return to where the Doctor dropped her off sees her encounter a mysterious river (with a 2008 pub just across the other side). Eventually reunited with the Doctor (and Sophie), the three traverse the river across multiple timelines within London, pursued by multiple versions of the same man, uncovering the secret of what is happening and why.

What's Good:

• The premise is immediately engaging, starting comedic with the Doctor being hauled before a Court before allowing things to turn sinister with the shift in timezones and the obvious out of place Hanging Judge, who not only is in the wrong time but appears to be an imposter PRETENDING to be somebody in the right place at the wrong time. There's a great sense of wrongness just beneath the surface, which the Doctor and Lucie obviously know from the start, but it is is elevated by the fact that various characters they meet uneasily admit at times that EVERYBODY knows something isn't right, but are too scared/overwhelmed to face up to it head on and so live in a troubled "blissful" ignorance (think about the second warren in Watership Down). The Doctor figures out relatively quickly the basics of what has happened and why, but the eventual reveal of the depth to which the occupants of London have been imprisoned is a pretty great moment, and a neat sci-fi concept.

• The Casting: Clare Buckfield (who played Trisha Tomorrow in The Horror of Glam Rock) is immediately likeable as Springheel Sophie and slots in very well as the Doctor's companion, the two have good chemistry together though she's a bit too gimmicky to be anything more than a single story companion. Sheridan Smith as Lucie gets a chance to shine, as her separation from the Doctor means she is left to make her own way through the labyrinth of London timezones, and she even gets a companion of her own in Yellow Beryl, a Canary Girl (voiced by Katarina Olsson, who played the Headhunter in season one) which also doubles as a little peek into an often overlooked/unremembered part of British history. Rupert Vansittart is excellently cast as the various avatars of the Sepulchre, he has a fantastic voice and it is used to good effect. The nature of the various time zones means he gets to play around a bit with his portrayal too, in order to differentiate the various versions of himself that continue to prop up throughout the story. Plus of course Paul McGann is as always excellent, and whether because he liked the script or this was perhaps the start of a new block of recording, he just seems engaged/enthusiastic about the part which shines through in his performance.

What's Not:

• Rupert Vansittart has an excellent voice as previously mentioned, and his multiple incarnations means he gets to play around with his performances. Unfortunately, the central voice of the character - The Sepulchre - is a big letdown because it mostly disguises his very distinctive voice behind a sibilant hissing. His voice is too low, the hissing/whispering too prominent, obviously concentrated on to the point that it comes at the expense of his performance. Given that the Sepulchre is the ultimate bad guy of the story, it's a shame that it is the least intimidating of the various voices Vansittat employs throughout the story. His Hanging Judge would have been far better as the central antagonist of the story, but he gets sidelined in favor of the Sepulchre, who is at best underwhelming and at worse a distraction. It's a waste of Vansittart and a potentially interesting bad guy.

• The running time is too short for the concept, especially as the opening story of the second season. A London divided into various sections of its own history would be a fascinating place to explore, but no sooner is the concept introduced than the issue is resolved and the Doctor and Lucie are moving on. Initially the plan for season 2 was to follow the same structure as season 1 - an opening and closing 2-parter - but this got changed around as they worked through their scripts. So this story ends up kind of hanging in the wind, it's a pretty cool sci-fi concept that doesn't get room to breathe, and might have been better left as a mid-season 2-parter if they weren't going to open the season with one.

• The resolution leaves a lot to be desired, which ties in with the above issues with too short a running time. At the end of the story, the Sepulchre and his "avatars" have been defeated, and the Doctor and Lucie leave Sophie and the other inhabitants to live free of his influence. Which is great and all.... except that we've already learned that they're physically stored inside the actual brain of the Sepulchre, so are they essentially living inside a corpse? Or at best a comatose figure in some laboratory somewhere? The thought is pretty horrifying, but while Lucie does bring this up in passing, the Doctor dismisses it all so breezily that I get the sense Big Finish just decided it was too difficult to resolve the implications raised by the story and just make a handwave "everything will be fine now" statement before moving on. I mean, at least the Doctor could have offered to return all those people to their proper places/times. I think this might be the result of the concept being too "out there" and not really being understood, though it is entirely possible that is a result of my own shortcomings/failure to understand - the people appear to be physically present (just incredibly miniaturized), but then how was the Sepulchre and his avatars eating them? Were victims taken out of the "brain" and eaten by the Sepulchre when he was feeling peckish? Did he feed on their psychic energy? If that is the case aren't the people still at risk simply being inside his mind? What happens as his brain activity runs down? What if Mrs. The Sepulchre comes down to his pantry to see why he hasn't come to bed yet, revives him, and he kicks everything off again? - good sci-fi should make you ask questions, but not because it feels like the creators overlooked/misunderstood or failed to realize their own premise.

Final Thoughts:

Well cast and well performed, Dead London is too big a concept crammed into too small a story. Forced to wrap things up too fast and leave too many unanswered questions, as an opener to the second season of The Eighth Doctor Adventures it doesn't quite work. With all that said, it is still a thoroughly enjoyable story, and though the concept doesn't get fully realized, it is a cool twist on a theme we've seen many times before (the Doctor quickly guesses what is going on, but not how deep/crazy it goes). Certainly worth a listen, but oh what might have been.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I've finally gotten around to watching the latest season of Doctor Who, so I'd like to give my late and useless two cents.

First and foremost, I love Capaldi in the role. He's exactly what the Doctor should be--abrasive, aloof, but incredibly useful, intelligent and arrogant. His capacity has been reduced in these episodes and I think that works a lot better to the "formula" of Who than the more hands-on roles played by Tennant and Smith. The fact that Capaldi is often the damsel in distress is no doubt a response to the (rightly so) complaints that Clara was loving useless dead weight in the previous seasons, and the pendulum has swung so far in the opposite direction without going too far that I'm actually genuinely shocked at the rapid increase in quality and variety that Moffat's current team has brought to the show.

Clara is good. She's great. A very useful, active and competent Companion, maybe a little TOO good at what she does, but honestly I'll take it if we get more awesome scenes of her saving the day as we did this season. She takes a direct role in every episode and is often the primary hero of the day, while Capaldi largely just facilitates her adventures with information, gadgetry or support. It's a great change and I'm actually shocked that the Internet Feminist crowd hasn't latched onto Clara, because she's a strong, independent and well-written heroine who is the star and primary force of action in a major network sci-fi show. She ought to be getting a lot more coverage and acclaim than she is, and the radio silence about her performance this season is really baffling to me and my friend, who is an even bigger fan of her than I am.

The episodes were really solid this season as well. There wasn't really a weak one of the bunch, although I found myself zoning out during the episode where the world gets overgrown by plants. The supporting cast is solid and I liked the focus on Clara's co-workers and especially her students. More episodes featuring the kids would not have been amiss, and they play well off the grumpy Capaldi.

Capaldi's Doctor is definitely a massive about-face compared to the cuddley Smith and I personally love the hell out of it. I've always preferred the Doctor to be more alien and more callous, which he was fairly consistently shown to be in the Classic Who days. He still has a good heart, but he's not terribly concerned about human feelings and being seen as a hero. In fact, he was largely uninterested in helping people in the Classic days and that's sort of returned a bit, with Capaldi even going so far as to just peace out and let the humans solve their own loving dilemma at the end of a particular episode.

The theme of soldiers I felt was not as deftly handled as it could have been, but it IS consistent, maybe too much so. We get the imagery, we get the various views on it, and it all comes together nicely in the final episodes, which really brings to close the War Doctor story arc once and for all. Missy is a cool villain and I enjoy the character progression that he/she has undertaken, with the original's penchant for ridiculously complicated plans now being manifested through utter insanity. How is she alive though? Wasn't she/he For Reals This Time dead the last time we saw them?

Loved the super cool "cameo" at the end, thought it was nice that the Doctor finally got to pay his proper respects, and it feels right that Capaldi is the one to do it, since he's kind of a Classic doctor returned to life.

Overall, a really solid season, and so much better, in just sheer consistency, than the last Matt Smith season. I think Capaldi's Doctor hasn't been fully figured out yet, and I kind of hope he gets a nice long run to build a proper legacy for him. My one concern is that the show's probably lost a lot of its fanbase, because the Doctor isn't pretty anymore, and that's going to reduce the ratings and make them can Capaldi quicker than they would normally. I trust this won't happen, though, because he's just so loving good in the role, I'd be overjoyed to see him have a tenure longer than Tennant's.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really love the chemistry that Capaldi and Coleman developed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Capaldi just did an incredibly nerdy interview on the Doctor Who FB page (I can't seem to find a way to link it, since it's just a post...).

He has great taste in episodes. His favourites from Classic Who are pretty predictable, but his favourites from the new series?

Rose, The Girl In The Fireplace, The Vampires of Venice, and the Rings of Akhaten :getin:

Just watched it, and man, he is the real deal. :allears:

We are so incredibly lucky to get him and Moffat running the show at the same time. It's a wonder they can get anything done between nerdily talking about Doctor Who all day.

One of these days they have got to get Capaldi, Moffat, RTD, and Tennant in the same room for a round of Doctor Who pub trivia. Video that and put it on the internet. :swoon:

If I ever had a chance to ask Capaldi or Moffat a question at a convention or an AMA or something, I'd ask them which of the 4 would win!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Capaldi/Coleman chemistry really is great, it's funny looking back at the concerns that she wouldn't be able to work with anyone other than Smith, especially since the two had such a comparatively short time together in the first place and didn't really click together as a duo until Day of the Doctor.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today I learned (or was reminded) that Jon Pertwee was Croft and Perry's first choice to play Captain Mainwaring on Dad's Army. That would've been a bit :stare:. Perhaps not quite as :stare: as the hypothetical scenario in which the Third Doctor is played by Arthur Lowe, but :stare: nonetheless.

(Though taking a step back, hardly outside the realms of plausibility, since Pertwee was best known for comedy and music hall before he was in Doctor Who.)

On the subject of DW and "Dad's Army": I feel that John Le Mesurier would have made for a really great Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the subject of DW and "Dad's Army": I feel that John Le Mesurier would have made for a really great Doctor.

"I'm terribly sorry, but would you mind awfully not exterminating the human race?"

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Having grown up with Porridge on the TV for years, I still think it bizarre they considered Fulton Mackay to play the Doctor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Best bit? When they got to the point in the script where they have to escape from the burning wicker man, McGann complained "I'm still wearing that bloody cravat?"

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I just watched Claws of Axos for the first time, and I was struck how similar the gold Axons looked like the Host from Voyage of the Damned and wondered if it was a weird callback RTD threw in there. Or it could be a complete coincidence and I'm the first person to even draw that comparison, which I'd prefer because otherwise every time I think of the otherwise decent Third Doctor serial I'm reminded of that loving mess of a Christmas special

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

Not only that, but he became a household name through being one of the three stars of The Navy Lark on radio, in which he played the ship's terminally light-fingered chief petty officer. He could definitely have done it, although in a completely different way to Arthur Lowe.

Different indeed. I've no doubt he'd have played it well, but I suppose it's because my entire image of Pertwee is as the Third Doctor, so I imagine he'd have been too similar to Sergeant Wilson.

Too bad Capaldi's busy with Who at the moment, because I reckon he'd have made a great Frazer for the remake film they're doing (which I probably won't be going to see).

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Heh. My dad once told me he wanted John Le Mesurier to play the Doctor when he was a boy. :D

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Best bit? When they got to the point in the script where they have to escape from the burning wicker man, McGann complained "I'm still wearing that bloody cravat?"

That does remind me of Sophie refusing to apply a tightrope to allow the three of them to escape because the Doctor and Lucie are untrained and "might fall to your deaths".... and she says this while THEY'RE IN A BURNING WICKERMAN.

Then of course Lucie points out,"Well why don't we just use the rope at an angle and slide down to freedom?" :laugh:

Espilae posted:

I just watched Claws of Axos for the first time, and I was struck how similar the gold Axons looked like the Host from Voyage of the Damned and wondered if it was a weird callback RTD threw in there. Or it could be a complete coincidence and I'm the first person to even draw that comparison, which I'd prefer because otherwise every time I think of the otherwise decent Third Doctor serial I'm reminded of that loving mess of a Christmas special

No it has definitely been noticed before, it's such a weird thing because obviously they bear nothing other than a superficial visual similarity to the Axons, and yet RTD is such a Doctor Who fanboy he can't have been unaware of the similarities.... either that or he was making a reference to the BAFTAs!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Anyone got a favorite reconstruction? Mine's The Macra Terror, it really is scary sometimes (and I'm usually not scared by Who at all) and moves well. It is to my great shame that I have only watched the first episode of Troughton's inaugural episode.

This is from a while back, but my favorite reconstructed serial is The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve, followed closely by Power of the Daleks.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Burkion posted:

I'm happy for you.
This is why I like this thread. It seems like most other places on SA people are itching to argue about something to bolster their ego. Here you can like whatever you want, because who the hell should care about someone's contradicting opinion on a subjective piece of media.

jivjov posted:

The whole message of "meds for mental issues are bad" really soured me on Doctor Who as a whole for a while...I mean, did NOBODY who had script input on that episode realize what a lovely and potentially dangerous message that is to send? Didn't Capaldi or Coleman get to that point in a table read and go "What the gently caress?"
I hated that episode so thoroughly I never gave it much thought, and I feel you're right (for the very most part) that people should be on their prescribed meds. But I think what the episode was trying to say was some children are prescribed certain medication because it helps them fit into the gears of society, and not because it's what best for them or well suited to their particular situation. They failed in communicating that however and it came across as a general "Don't trust pills kids!".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I hated that episode so thoroughly I never gave it much thought, and I feel you're right (for the very most part) that people should be on their prescribed meds. But I think what the episode was trying to say was some children are prescribed certain medication because it helps them fit into the gears of society, and not because it's what best for them or well suited to their particular situation. They failed in communicating that however and it came across as a general "Don't trust pills kids!".

Yeah, it would not have been hard to send the message of "Well, yes, human doctors do know what they're talking about and medications can help with a great many things, but in this one particular instance its actually aliens", but if I remember it correctly, the Doctor literally has a line to the effect of "Oh someone starts hearing voices and the first thing you think of is medicine!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Oh I agree with you, it was executed poorly. Like everything in that episode, and half the things in that season. I'm gonna go back to my classic cave now and watch some Power of the Daleks.

• Locked thread