Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

What did you think of the Cybermen?

They were okay, but despite being integral to the plot they still felt kinda superfluous. What I remember best about them is Cyber-Control going mad due to TEMPORAL CORROSION (which is pretty much just invented for the purposes of this story), like it was some kind of Cyber-Syphilis. They certainly weren't objectionable in their presence, and were handled pretty well, but like most everything else in the story they're secondary considerations to the emotional rollercoaster of Charley's departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grim`
May 6, 2004

there's no lies to the game of eyes

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder who'd have ended up playing Eight if Paul McGann hadn't broken his leg and was able to do Sharpe.

Tony Slattery.

Is there still an irc channel and does anyone still watch episodes there?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grim` posted:

Tony Slattery.

Is there still an irc channel and does anyone still watch episodes there?

Sean Bean. But he'd only have lasted the movie before regenerating.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Clever clever episode titles and some synopses released. Spoilers, no doubt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/fd3d5d2b-bb11-4e24-862e-7ce282413e1c

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Barry Foster posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/fd3d5d2b-bb11-4e24-862e-7ce282413e1c

Four double parters? Two to open? Interesting move.

Also, Reece Shearsmith seems to be reprising his LoG outfit for Gatiss :haw:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Autonomous Monster posted:

Basically the only episodes that aren't two parters are 8 and 9. Or 9 and 10 I forget which. What I'm trying to say is that there are only two episodes that aren't two parters. This coming from the man who claimed, just 3ish years ago, that you could tell any story in one episode. Funny, that

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

This seems like a good thing to me. Less chance of overly rushed episodes, which is my doctor who pet peeve

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Finally got around to finishing watching Torchwood: Miracle Day. I'd have liked it better if anyone in the show knew what exactly the Blessing was.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Barry Foster posted:

I can't believe this is out in 5 days. I started working on S9 in December, and I'm still here, making this job even longer than Atlantis (although Atlantis felt longer because it was bloody rubbish). Quite keen to see the end result, despite never having been a DW fan. It's like no other job I've ever done. Definitely enjoying how much promo time my big perspex map (and the thing the Doctor is holding) is getting in that link. I'll probably never get to work on a Star Trek, but this was as much fun as I'd hoped that would be. Getting to work with/on visual icons is very rewarding. Beats whatever cop show/gritty south London drama I'm going to end up on next.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man oh man new Doctor Who all is right with the world all is good :neckbeard:

echoplex posted:

I can't believe this is out in 5 days. I started working on S9 in December, and I'm still here, making this job even longer than Atlantis (although Atlantis felt longer because it was bloody rubbish). Quite keen to see the end result, despite never having been a DW fan. It's like no other job I've ever done. Definitely enjoying how much promo time my big perspex map (and the thing the Doctor is holding) is getting in that link. I'll probably never get to work on a Star Trek, but this was as much fun as I'd hoped that would be. Getting to work with/on visual icons is very rewarding. Beats whatever cop show/gritty south London drama I'm going to end up on next.

That is awesome, I'm extremely jealous :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

Oh wow, well done mate! I'm proud of you :)

I tried looking for you on the Book of Faces a while back but had no joy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: A spinster, Not-Charley-Pollard, a lecherous policeman and an epileptic ghost walk into a Girls' Boarding School....

Long Synopsis: Nyssa is teleported into a Swiss Boarding School by an experiment of the Doctor's gone awry. The Doctor fears an apparent poltergeist might have a "mundane" but far more sinister explanation, and in true 5th Doctor fashion a whole lot of people die.

What's Good:
  • The comedic elements. Though this isn't a comedy, the story is at its strongest when it is having fun with the characters and situations that arise. The Scottish Spinster's bizarre insistence that all the windows be left open to let the cleansing air in to keep people "pure"; the teasing of the ghost about hanging around a girl's boarding school; the Doctor's frequently exasperated insistence about post-hypnotic suggestions; Nyssa's own exasperation about the Doctor continually declaring something mysterious and then refusing to elaborate further. There is a lot of amusing dialogue in this story, bemused characters reacting to events or the often ludicrous biases they encounter. In particular, there is a frequently running callback to the implication that one of the girls is only going out with the local policeman (including planning to elope with him) in order to get a rise out of her parents. Her frequent,"I wish I could see mother's face when she sees/finds out about this!" continually play up the idea that she is rather immaturely toying with her own life, the lives (and affections) of others in a childish fit of revenge for being dumped into the boarding school in the first place. It doesn't always work, but when the comedy hits it hits well, and carries the story through some of the less endearing sections.

• India Fisher. I could basically listen to India Fisher talk all day (MasterChef is an aural feast as well as a visual one, as she explains what meal we are currently seeing) and it is no exception here. She has an incredible voice, and if I lived in England I'd probably sign up to Natwest Bank just to hear her on the phone when I call up to check my balance (none, it's all gone on Big Finish). So the fact she has a large part to play in this automatically is a bonus for me. She elevates the material she is given, with any other actor the character of Peril Bellamy would have really grated, instead she is tolerable.

What's Not:

• Peril Bellamy. Without India Fisher voicing her, Peril Bellamy is an awful character. She is (quite deliberately) an utter brat, and it is infuriating to listen to her - and to be fair, her companion Alison - skip merrily and uncomprehendingly through the disasters befalling them. Nothing seems to have any impact on them at all, at one point they witness the death of a person they know very well, and in the very next scene they're joking around and quipping exactly as they were the scene before. Similarly, the destruction of a helicopter and its crew not only doesn't scar them, but they don't even seem particularly concerned about the fact they're now trapped in the dangerous situation they were supposedly desperate to escape even BEFORE things got deadly. The idea seems to be to write Peril (and Alison) as flighty, immature girls and not entirely cognizant of the seriousness of the situation they've found themselves in. Unfortunately there is a fine line to walk between capturing that sense of childish incomprehension without making the characters either seem stupid or offensively self-centered, and the story doesn't really pull it off.

• The exposition. This story is written by Andrew Cartmel, former Script Editor for the tail end of the televised run of Classic Who, often credited with turning the quality of the show around (too little too late unfortunately) and being responsible for some of the better stories of the 7th Doctor's run. Unfortunately, perhaps because he's dealing with a purely aural format, Cartmel fills the story with ridiculous levels of exposition, with characters shouting about what they're seeing/what is going on for fear that the viewer will be lost otherwise. Scenes where the characters are menaced/attacked by inanimate objects see those characters providing a running commentary as they flee in panic for their lives, making sure to lay out every detail of what is happening. It breaks the suspension of disbelief, frequently reminding the listener (well, me at least) that they're listening to a scripted audio play.

• The setting/period. I'm still not entirely sure WHEN this story is set, the writing and the "voice" of the characters suggest it is set at some point in the first half of the 20th Century and presumably between the World Wars, but references to technologies suggest that it may be set later than that, making the characters or Peril and Alison in particular feel time-displaced. This may have been intentional, but it gives everything an oddly quaint and primitive feeling, the characters are so isolated from the outside world not just geographically but in terms of their entire mindset. Everything feels very anachronistic, distractingly so.

• The supernatural elements. As I mentioned in my write-up on Loups-Garoux, I get annoyed when Doctor Who just straight-up incorporates completely supernatural elements into a story. There is usually at least an attempt at some kind of "rational" explanation, which being sci-fi are generally just a techno-babble bit of fantasy anyway but at least offer the pretense of a "grounded" explanation. Throughout this story, the Doctor offers such explanations - psychic abilities mistaken for ghosts/poltergeists etc - but also takes a strangely adversarial relationship with another character who refuses to just blindly embrace the idea of the supernatural/exotic without at least first testing out more mundane possibilities. Then at about the 2/3rds mark the story just dives headfirst into the supernatural, as a ghost does show up and is exactly that... a ghost! The Doctor makes a rather lame comment saying it isn't really a ghost but just a manifestation of energy latching on to a psychic residue.... but with no basis on anything other than he just doesn't want to say "ghost". The ghost itself retains a complete personality/memories and it just straight up the person it used to be. It's a really odd, jarring thing for me, and colors my whole feeling on the story in general.

• The "mystery". Much of the first 2/3rds of the story are occupied with the Doctor attempting to solve the mystery of what is going on at the school. Unfortunately it is written in such a way that the Doctor holds his cards ludicrously close to his vests, meaning the listener can't figure things out for themselves because much of the Doctor's deductions are based on information only HE has - in that event it is akin to the old school Sherlock Holmes stories I guess, but I can share in Nyssa's frustrations as she demands explanations to cryptic comments from the Doctor and he refuses to give any.

• The sci-fi "twist" in episode 4. My own feelings on the supernatural elements aside, at least that is consistently the basis of the story. But then in episode 4..... aliens show up! They're not the explanation for the ghost/poltergeist (though they did orchestrate events), they just show up in episode 4 to give bigger stakes to the story, as we suddenly cut from trying to keep the inhabitants of the school alive to a threat to the entire planet and maybe even the galaxy itself. It's a frequent issue the revival had as well (particularly under RTD) where the stakes ALWAYS had to be world-changing. Though the Doctor does make cryptic comments to the aliens throughout the entire story, they still seem to just appear out of the blue and completely change up nature of the story, and again it has a very jarring effect. The ultimate fate of the invading aliens is surprisingly dark, and what I think is supposed to be a triumphant moment comes across more bloodthirsty on the Doctor's behalf.

Final Thoughts:

Winter for the Adept is a jarring, sometimes unpleasant story to listen to. It's not aggressively bad, and is actually quite enjoyable in parts, but the tone is all over the place and makes it difficult to settle in to, and especially difficult to suspend disbelief. Throughout most of the story I was extremely aware that I was listening to a scripted story, there isn't much of a sense of verisimilitude. The unabashed supernatural aspect also annoyed me, though that is a far more personal thing, and the writing for the characters ranges from comedic to frustrating. There is also a very high death count and the Doctor's attitude towards that feels a little off to me, even if it is kind of in keeping with how things generally went during his television era. I'll say this for it though, India Fisher obviously impressed in her performance, because her character wasn't written particularly well but lead to the casting of one of - if not THE - best Big Finish companions there has ever been, Charley Pollard. For that alone, I have to say I'm glad this story exists.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 15, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I actually enjoyed this story, for the setting mainly as the secondary characters didn't get much to work with and it made them seem much weaker. It's the fourth episode where everything just falls apart, especially with the "twist" when the aliens show up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The whole thing with the mad spinster who ran the place and was obsessed with purity really just ended up feeling like a complete waste of time, and introduced a lot of factors to the story that promptly go nowhere. I actually would have preferred it if it had turned out the guy who died in the avalance decades ago was her boyfriend and that had driven her into bitterness and her insistence that the girls stay "clean" - instead she just kind of gets taken out of the story and had zero impact on anything other than being a slight red herring. Same deal with Alison really, she didn't really do much to distinguish herself from Peril, in fact sometimes I got confused which was which until India Fisher's voice came across a little stronger.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 15, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I actually enjoyed this story, for the setting mainly as the secondary characters didn't get much to work with and it made them seem much weaker. It's the fourth episode where everything just falls apart, especially with the "twist" when the aliens show up.

Yeah, it was a bit as though an entire act of Caves of Androzani had been devoted to the ridiculous monster they threw in because "hey, gotta have a monster". Not that Winter was otherwise on the level of Caves, but I mostly enjoyed it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Has there been talk yet of branching the audio talk into a thread in RGD?
What is a good 8th Doctor audio to start off with?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:toot:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lampsacus posted:

What is a good 8th Doctor audio to start off with?

Eh…the audio stuff is only really discussed during the hiatus, so I don’t know if it quite warrants its own RGD thread….maybe a full-blown Big Finish thread, though, but it’s really a niche fandom of a niche fandom, coming from a niche fan.

As for where to start with Eight?

Storm Warning – Eight’s first adventure with Charlotte Pollard, Edwardian Adventuress. It’s more in vein of the classic series (four episode about 22-26 minutes a piece) and it does suffer from the “it’s an audio so we have to describe EVERYTHING” blues, but India Fisher’s chemistry with Paul McGann is simply top notch.

Blood of the Daleks – The Eighth Doctor Adventures are done in the vein of the new series (two 25 minute episodes with a few two parters of four episodes total) and feature Lucie Miller, a strong willed Northern lass placed on the TARDIS as part of a Time Lord Witness Protection program.

Dark Eyes – A self-contained storyline with four box sets with four episodes each, seeing the Doctor face off in a long game with the Master (played by Alex MacQueen) and the Daleks. The first box set introduces Molly O’Sullivan, an Irish World War I nurse.

So it depends on whether you want classic style stories, revival style stories, or something that falls in the middle. But overall the Eighth Doctor’s had a pretty solid run with Big Finish, so you’re fine wherever you choose to begin.

Ok, I am a bit intrigued by this...even if the episode titles seem to give them away, maybe we'll get swerved.

It's Gatiss' episode that I'm really looking forward to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Storm Warning isn't actually all that great but it serves as a good introduction for the 8th Doctor and a long-running companion, I'd second the recommendation. Similar issue with Blood of the Daleks, that story and most of the first season of the Eighth Doctor Adventures aren't all that great up until the final 2-parter which is excellent, but Blood again serves as a good intro for both the 8th Doctor and his new companion who will be present throughout the season.

I imagine audio talk will take a significant backseat in about 4 days, because NEW Doctor Who is coming :neckbeard:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I imagine audio talk will take a significant backseat in about 4 days, because NEW Doctor Who is coming :neckbeard:

Yeah, I know I’m taking a break from audio reviews..

(well, one more – finishing up the new Torchwood today at lunch…)

…because we got NEW GENTLY CARRESSIN’ DOCTOR WHO IN THE HOUSE! WHERE MY DALEKS AT! THROW YOUR PLUNGERS UP!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I think The Chase shows that:

*running poo poo into the ground
*clickbait

aren't modern phenomena in any way.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It does feature one of my favourite Billy Fluffs,

"You'll end up a couple of burnt cinders flying around in Spain"

Also it turns out the main things that Ian misses are beer and cricket

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The best one is still "I'm not a mountain goat and I prefer walking to any day. And I hate climbing."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All the good fluffs in that one belong to The Dalek Who Couldn't Do Math(s).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Storm Warning isn't actually all that great but it serves as a good introduction for the 8th Doctor and a long-running companion, I'd second the recommendation.

The simplicity of Storm Warning is one of the reasons I recommend it as a starting point, myself. The mid-tempo pace and very distinct (ie, over-the-top) voices make it a little easier to latch onto for people not used to this whole "Audio Drama" thing. Sure it's silly, but it's accessibly silly.

Lampsacus posted:

There are a few reasons we don't, generally. There isn't a lot of differentiation in this thread between the different forms of the series. Variation is the name of the game, and eras tends to differ wildly from each other. One of the nice things about this group is that we don't tend to discount any Doctor Who format - every version is going to be somebody's preferred form.

Another reason, and this is why we'll see Big Finish chat mixed in the current run even as it's onscreen is that Doctor Who is addictive. How many new fans came in from Netflix binges? Audios (and classic episodes) help to fill in those long days between new stories. And when we hear or see something we love/hate, we tend to talk about it.

In short, accept that some things won't click for you, some things will win you over by surprise, and that, if you let yourself, you're in for one hell of a ride.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

In short, accept that some things won't click for you, some things will win you over by surprise, and that, if you let yourself, you're in for one hell of a ride.

Example - the latter JNT-era.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

why is the doctor surrounded by hella weed

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

The Doctor’s Fifth incarnation WAS perhaps the most chill.

(it's dream weed)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I love how after the Doctor loses that pipe he pretty much just quits right off. The Doctor was a smoker for like half a serial and that's it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Forktoss posted:

The best one is still "I'm not a mountain goat and I prefer walking to any day. And I hate climbing."

I'm afraid you're wrong. And you look a little poorly, too. Perhaps you need some anti-radiation gloves?

(crickets)

(embarrassed throat clearance)

(assistant floor manager shuffles papers)

...Drugs.

Although I'm also extremely fond of that moment in The Romans where he not only completely fluffs his own line, he then completely fucks up the co-star who then tries to cover for him.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After The War posted:

All the good fluffs in that one belong to The Dalek Who Couldn't Do Math(s).

Um, uh, um, uh uh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For people who haven't watched the old serials the daleks didn't just shout "exterminate" in the early ones. They repeatedly got fixated on pretty much any random word that the main dalek said and repeat it endlessly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Endlessly! Endlessly!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Endless... D'oh! :doh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For people who haven't watched the old serials the daleks didn't just shout "exterminate" in the early ones. They repeatedly got fixated on pretty much any random word that the main dalek said and repeat it endlessly.

I love one of the early stories (I think it might be The Daleks?) where one of them says something like,"Then we shall be the masters of this planet!" and the others all just kind of excitedly start muttering/mumbling amongst themselves,"Yes, yes we shall be the masters, yes, yes we shall."

It's like they're having this wonderfully low-key little conversation about how much they're looking forward to this thing happening :allears:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So :siren: my girlfriend :siren: sprung the fact on me that she got us tickets to the Fathom Event DarkWater/DeathInHeaven-in-3D thing tonight.

I really hope the night isn't ruined by those sorts of Doctor Who fans.

Edit: Two doctors and an Ood. I officially hate nerds.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 16, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Our theater is doing the 3D showing four nights in a row, so we're probably going on Thursday for my wife's birthday. Should be fun.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So, is it time to start advocating for the new thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Doctor Who Series 9: Any story can be told in one episode

• Locked thread