Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Ah yes, the Vervoids, surprisingly not the winner of Most Genitalia-Like Monster in Doctor Who. :allears:

Really? I would've pegged them as #1. Who do you put there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They had to add the cape to make Alpha Centauri look less like a penis, but it had, uh, limited effectiveness.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The cape adds class! You can’t teach that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like to think of some costume designer coming into Lennie Mayne's office, smiling at their accomplishments, holding up the dicksuit and Lennie just opens a drawer containing his aspirin.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
My first exposure to Watership Down was through the 1984 Australian Broadcasting Company's radio plays distributed in the US through The Mind's Eye (got started on this audio thing early.) The actor playing Hazel sounded a LOT like Colin Baker, and since I can't find a castlist to save my life, I will maintain hope until proven otherwise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Farthing Wood was a terrible idea for a Saturday morning show. Especially the shrike and the bit where the hedgehogs get run over.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

The Farthing Wood cartoon got painfully neutered as it went on. When it got to adapting the final novel where the park gets attacked by an army of rats the rat characters were all cute buffoons :(

They probably had to do that to stop carving deep emotional scars in the children of at least two nations every Saturday morning.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe they just looked at the cover? "Oh, something like Animals of Farthing Wood? U certificate for that. Time for the pub."

Watership Down is the worst thing to show to children. I remember seeing it years ago, I was possibly about 4/5 and was horrified.

It seemed like for the whole of the 90s, ITV would run this in the family movie slot every Bank Holiday. Unedited. I don't think anyone in charge had a clue what they were putting out.

I still have an off-air recording where the announcer describes it as "delightful" with no trace of irony.

Still, it was nothing compared to The Plague Dogs, a film that starts off with one of the lead characters being forcibly drowned and resuscitated by animal experimenters. And then gets worse from there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a bit in Watership Down where one of the rabbits gets run over by a train? I know there's a bit where the rabbit played by John Hurt gets shot, but I've not seen it since I was little myself. At that age, like most :spergin:, I was mainly into Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends.*

My mum likes the Art Garfunkel song (which was written by Mike Batt, I was surprised to learn recently).

* Does anyone else think David Cameron looks sort of like Henry the Green Engine?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

El-Ahrairah and the Doctor would probably be good buddies.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

El-Ahrairah and the Doctor would probably be good buddies.

I hate trickster gods in fairy tales. They always turn out to be him.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CobiWann posted:

The cape adds class! You can’t teach that.

Bada-boom, realest hermaphroditic hexapod in the room.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

saucerman posted:

Is this on the level of Watership Down? I saw that one as a kid...

This is one you can have either way. Either Watership Down is worse because it blindsides you by pretending to be about cute fluffy bunny-wunnies, or When The Wind Blows is worse because it ends with the horrible and gruesome death of your slightly batty but still lovable old grandparents. Depends on the kid.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

@5:05 into the first episode of "The War Machines" has my favorite Hartnell moment of all time in it.

Can I just mention that this story has absolutely the bossest way of putting up the story title/writer/part credits this side of The Ambassadors...

:siren: OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :siren:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

whatsabattle posted:

Bada-boom, realest hermaphroditic hexapod in the room.

It's a certified G(reen alien) and a bona fide stud. Jury's out on if it's 7 foot tall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've never seen the Watership Down cartoon, but I've read the book which is EXCELLENT. Based on my knowledge of the book alone, I'm horrified at the thought of this being screened for kids.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I've never seen the Watership Down cartoon, but I've read the book which is EXCELLENT. Based on my knowledge of the book alone, I'm horrified at the thought of this being screened for kids.

"Hey, boss, we somehow optioned the rights to a novel loosely based on The Odyssey in which rabbits face the actual survival horror of their everyday lives and it is reflected through troubling mythology about their origins, two dystopian rabbit cultures, psychic predictions of doom which turn out to be true, a war over a shortage of female rabbits, with a bunch of Tolkienesque made up language."
"I heard you say rabbits, make a drat children's cartoon out of it."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

It was pretty horrific (forgive the music, it was the only video I could find). Never read the book, but my memories of watching the cartoon involve non-stylised rabbits clawing, scratching and biting the everloving poo poo out of each other, blood everywhere. And death. Lots of rabbit death.

I was only four :stonk:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

It was pretty horrific (forgive the music, it was the only video I could find). Never read the book, but my memories of watching the cartoon involve non-stylised rabbits clawing, scratching and biting the everloving poo poo out of each other, blood everywhere. And death. Lots of rabbit death.

yeah my dad did the same thing, only he followed it up with the wall. my dad wasn't a good judge of age appropriateness

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

plus side, first movie i ever remember watching with him was terminator 2

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jesus Christ that is pretty horrifying, I can imagine that traumatizing a lot of kids (you included).

I must say though, the book really is superb and the ending really is upliftingly beautiful - it's easy to overlook that due to the well noted violent themes of the book.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yeah my dad did the same thing, only he followed it up with the wall. my dad wasn't a good judge of age appropriateness

The Wall is a traumatizing experience for most adults, really.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

The Wall is a traumatizing experience for most adults, really.

yeah but i was like eight

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fungah! posted:

Fungah! posted:

plus side, first movie i ever remember watching with him was terminator 2

Nearly the same with me - the Wall a few years later, and Terminator 1 as the first movie I remember watching with him.

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ that is pretty horrifying, I can imagine that traumatizing a lot of kids (you included).

I must say though, the book really is superb and the ending really is upliftingly beautiful - it's easy to overlook that due to the well noted violent themes of the book.

Here's the cartoon ending. It's a very beautifully animated film, but holy hell was it mismarketed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nearly the same with me - the Wall a few years later, and Terminator 1 as the first movie I remember watching with him.

huh, drat. that's a hell of a coincidence

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fungah! posted:

huh, drat. that's a hell of a coincidence

Late 80's, early 90's parenting must have been pretty similar.
Unless our dad is pulling a Troughton. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here's the cartoon ending. It's a very beautifully animated film, but holy hell was it mismarketed.

"And when they catch you, they will kill you.... but first they must catch you." :unsmith:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Watership Down is a classic film that is amazing and beautiful and, actually, very appropriate for older children.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Red.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's so..... red! So Red. RED! RRRRRRRRRRRED! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRED!

It's actually a pretty poor story in a lot of ways, but it SOUNDS so good and McCoy gives such a strong performance that I come down on remembering it as a much better story than it actually was.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yup, the execution elevates it. It's pretty run-of-the-mill (with pacing and believability issues) otherwise.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It's so..... red! So Red. RED! RRRRRRRRRRRED! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRED!

It's actually a pretty poor story in a lot of ways, but it SOUNDS so good and McCoy gives such a strong performance that I come down on remembering it as a much better story than it actually was.

That's exactly it. Eh story, amazing acting from McCoy and Stahl at White House, DROP DEAD HOLY MOTHER OF IF I COULD WALK THAT WAY JENKINS work from the sound and post-production crew.

Edit - I meant "Stahl as White Noise."

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 4, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I give Stahl a lot of the credit too. It sounds like what he's doing is easy, but the voice modulation only does half of the heavy lifting. But yeah, the sound crew did their job and they did it "is there an award for this?" well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm listening to Sword of Orion right now and I think a Cyberman remake of Alien would be cool (even if it's "against the original depiction " or whatever).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Thankfully, I seemed to dodge Watership Down. I was never a kid that would've appealed to anyway. My traumatizing childhood experience was the ruins of the Market in Ocarina of Time. I had a major fear of zombies at the time.

My family like telling a story I don't remember, though, about when we were watching an Australian film that had a scene of a kid my age at the time getting hit by a car. They were really prepared that I'd be shaken up about it and not want to keep watching, but they still let me watch. And when the moment came, I laughed my rear end off, because you can't film someone getting hit by a car in a way that isn't hilarious.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I laughed my rear end off, because you can't film someone getting hit by a car in a way that isn't hilarious.

Oh yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikj8eDKxMQ

Oh...yeah...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

computer parts posted:

I'm listening to Sword of Orion right now and I think a Cyberman remake of Alien would be cool (even if it's "against the original depiction " or whatever).

Cybermen getting picked off by a xenomorph? Go on...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

marktheando posted:

They had to add the cape to make Alpha Centauri look less like a penis, but it had, uh, limited effectiveness.

What the picture doesn't convey is how hilarious the voice they chose was.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

marktheando posted:

Still not the most phallic Who monster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What the picture doesn't convey is how hilarious the voice they chose was.

One of the Companion Chronicles is David Troughton as King Peladon, so besides getting to play an older version of the character he played years ago, he also gets to read for the Third Doctor and for Alpha Centauri. Needless to say, his deep, Troughton voice never quite gets it, but it's pretty funny to hear him try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Thankfully, I seemed to dodge Watership Down. I was never a kid that would've appealed to anyway. My traumatizing childhood experience was the ruins of the Market in Ocarina of Time. I had a major fear of zombies at the time.

I had the same thing. Put me off playing the game as a kid.

• Locked thread