Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Espilae posted:

Look, the other three are brilliant, but why do you like Ambassadors so much? It is literally an hour too long, nothing happens in it for huge stretches and what does happen is kind of repetitive. I mean I like the story I guess but the others in that series are nigh-on flawless while all Ambassadors has is the twang.

It's a good and generally well regarded story. It's certainly better than The Sontaran Experiment and Robot, which would still be left in series 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly I've heard rumours (although I've no idea if they're true) that Smith was willing to stay on another series, but that he got fed up of the production breakdown so he decided to go try his luck in Hollywood (and then chose a part in Terminator Genisys, for some reason.)

It probably didn't seem like AS bad a role on paper. Sure, it's a small part, but Genisys was written with the intention of it being the start of at least a trilogy, and that Smith's part was built up to be some major villain, if not the primary antagonist of the overall series.

Scrub away all identifiers of Genisys, and look at it objectively. Signing on to a multi-movie deal that's part of a successful franchise, as a character that might be minor in the initial movie but would scale up to being a major figure in the later ones? Basically the only thing going against that paying off is that it's Terminator, perhaps the only sci-fi movie franchise with a worse track record than Alien. Sure, we knew it'd suck when we saw it materialize, but given the release period I'd assume that its pitch was being bandied around at the same time as Jurassic World and The Force Awakens; even if Genisys did look like the weakest of the three, it's not by much.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He's also got other jobs, it's not like he's chosen "continue to work endlessly in a TV show" or "appear in a bad film"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Matt Smith visited the bright lights of Detroit and knew right then that limited confines of Who could no longer contain him.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a distressing story because it has lots of great lines but the rest of it is pretty mediocre

It does have one of my favorite R-Holmes exchanges:

The Power of Kroll posted:

ROHM-DUTT: Varlik. Varlik? What is this seventh ritual?
VARLIK: It is the slowest of all.
ROMANA: I knew it.
VARLIK: I tried to persuade Ranquin that only Rohm-Dutt deserved to be punished by the seventh ritual and that you others should die by the first. That's very easy. They just throw you down the pit and drop rocks on you.
ROMANA: Oh, thank you. It's nice to know who your friends are.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Similarly the one about the Romana not exaggerating about the Doctor then getting interrupted and both of them taken prisoner before she can say two words

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It really is a rather fun script.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, as good a writer as Moffat is, he doesn't have the same mastery of TV production as RTD did.

Funnily enough, there's a story that when they were making the first season of New Who, nobody had ever worked on a science-fiction drama before, so nobody knew how to manage the money, which led to them blowing through most of the effects budget on "The End of the World". :D

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Funnily enough, there's a story that when they were making the first season of New Who, nobody had ever worked on a science-fiction drama before, so nobody knew how to manage the money, which led to them blowing through most of the effects budget on "The End of the World". :D

And yet we didn't lose a Who because of it? Gasps and amazement.

I kid, I kid.

Please Moffat convince the BBC to change it back to the traditional Script Editor and Producer jobs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If he goes on as he is he just might.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Daemons!

For fans of finding out what destroyed Atlantis, this is the first story on this watch through that "explains" it. (Meanwhile, exactly one series on is The Time Monster)

I'd rate this story more highly if Azal didn't just spend all the time shouting in long dialogue scenes, it makes it very difficult to listen to. And if we lost the Lee-Evans-In-Planet-of-the-Dead UNIT comic relief

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And now,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98MxxpzIoyg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love The Daemons, but Azal's voice does kinda grate as he just keeps booming away constantly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I mean Omega's a massive ham but he's a loving Ice Warrior compared to Azal

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
https://soundcloud.com/big-finish/torchwood-theme-2015/s-PQZ7p

The 21st century is when everything changes. :dance:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Over a year ago I decided that I was going to watch all of classic Who in order, reconstructions and all, and tonight I finally finished Troughton's run with The War Games.
It's strange, I never warmed up to Troughton quite as much as I thought I would. I say strange because many years ago I watched The Mind Robber on its own and instantly decided he was my favorite Doctor. But watching everything in order gave me a different impression, in that the feeling that he was "the impostor" that was set forth during The Power of the Daleks never quite went away. If nothing else it might be because I liked Hartnell MORE than I thought I would.

That being the case, I completely understand the hype behind The War Games. I'm not the type to binge watch classic Who and yet I blasted through the whole story in a day. I can't think of another Troughton story that even comes close (except maybe the aforementioned Mind Robber).

And now for Doctor Who IN COLOR! :eyepop:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Already enjoyed the theme more than I did the show!

Oh drat, that releases today.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 10, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's also got other jobs, it's not like he's chosen "continue to work endlessly in a TV show" or "appear in a bad film"

yeah! he's in two upcoming lovely zombie movies too, Patient Zero and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yvonmukluk posted:

She is in Day of the Doctor.

Honestly I've heard rumours (although I've no idea if they're true) that Smith was willing to stay on another series, but that he got fed up of the production breakdown so he decided to go try his luck in Hollywood (and then chose a part in Terminator Genisys, for some reason.)

I mean, as good a writer as Moffat is, he doesn't have the same mastery of TV production as RTD did.

This is all but confirmed actually. He was willing to do a full series following the 50th and was talking about it in interviews as late as the 50th airing, but as soon as it became clear the next series wouldn't air until winter of the following year, meaning basically another two years of his time with promotion included he left and the Christmas special had to rush the conclusion of his arc.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

CobiWann posted:

I'm re-watching the Miracle Day for preparation.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

He's also doing some tv show about rowing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

That being the case, I completely understand the hype behind The War Games. I'm not the type to binge watch classic Who and yet I blasted through the whole story in a day. I can't think of another Troughton story that even comes close (except maybe the aforementioned Mind Robber).

I remember when I did my own complete rewatch of the classic series, I got to The War Games, saw it was 4 hours long and figured I would watch over multiple nights. 2 hours later I forced myself to stop watching.... and an hour later said,"gently caress it!" and put the next 2 hours on and sat happily through it all. Such an amazing final episode for Troughton.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

And now for Doctor Who IN COLOR! :eyepop:

Whenever I hear people talking about how Doctor Who isn't REALLY Doctor Who anymore, I remember that back when Pertwee took over there were people saying,"Well this basically isn't even Doctor Who anymore, they're just using the name but it's a completely different show now. I mean for God's sake it's in COLOUR! :aaa:"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Huh. It's an hour long with only 3 characters, one of whom is Jack. Not exactly an auspicious start.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

I remember when I did my own complete rewatch of the classic series, I got to The War Games, saw it was 4 hours long and figured I would watch over multiple nights. 2 hours later I forced myself to stop watching.... and an hour later said,"gently caress it!" and put the next 2 hours on and sat happily through it all. Such an amazing final episode for Troughton.

Whenever I hear people talking about how Doctor Who isn't REALLY Doctor Who anymore, I remember that back when Pertwee took over there were people saying,"Well this basically isn't even Doctor Who anymore, they're just using the name but it's a completely different show now. I mean for God's sake it's in COLOUR! :aaa:"

How old are you?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Huh. It's an hour long with only 3 characters, one of whom is Jack. Not exactly an auspicious start.

It'll make it easy to review then. Hopefully this isn't the only episode that Barrowman appears in.

PriorMarcus posted:

How old are you?

Three words. Carry On Jersualem.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Little_wh0re posted:

He's also doing some tv show about rowing

And therefore a good career move :colbert:

(Are you talking about Bertie and Dickie, which was made for the 2012 Olympics?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

How old are you?

I don't personally remember people talking about that :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

It'll make it easy to review then. Hopefully this isn't the only episode that Barrowman appears in.

The next one is Ianto (with one other character), and the third is Gwen and Rhys (with a full cast). Hopefully they actually start putting them together as a team at some point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

It all went downhill once they stopped focusing on that policeman in the mist.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

My dad hasn't watched Doctor Who since 1966, because he's never completely got over the childhood trauma of his biggest hero falling down and turning into someone else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trin Tragula posted:

My dad hasn't watched Doctor Who since 1966, because he's never completely got over the childhood trauma of his biggest hero falling down and turning into someone else.

He should watch An Adventure in Space and Time.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Revenge of the Cybermen is notable for getting mundane performances out of two actors, David Collings and Kevin Stoney, who have contributed stellar performances to the show.
Further proof that the show was flawed, also the music does not suit a Cyberman show at all, sounds like it should be accompanying the adventures of animated frozen peas instead!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sad King Billy posted:

Revenge of the Cybermen is notable for getting mundane performances out of two actors, David Collings and Kevin Stoney, who have contributed stellar performances to the show.
Further proof that the show was flawed, also the music does not suit a Cyberman show at all, sounds like it should be accompanying the adventures of animated frozen peas instead!

Good God I want a Cyberman with the voice of Marlon Brando

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

computer parts posted:

He should watch An Adventure in Space and Time.

Everybody should, really.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Good God I want a Cyberman with the voice of Marlon Brando

Orson Welles, surely, if you're going off frozen peas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4GaPcLgOs

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sad King Billy posted:

Hinchcliffe spends a few minutes on the behind-the-scenes documentary talking about music can help salvage a bad scene by setting the right mood. Sadly, the production on this one was so rushed, the music ended up making things worse!

The documentary is worth watching with one finger on the pause button as they use a lot of internal BBC memos about this serial for backgrounds, and some of the language is…very diplomatic!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Orson Welles, surely, if you're going off frozen peas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4GaPcLgOs

I am not going to lie I may have made that post immediately after coming out of the comic book movie thread and got several wires crossed about overweight amazing actors who despised their roles late in life.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I just found out that someone is doing a Happiness Patrol burlesque act at a show I'm going to tonight.

I am so excited someone besides this thread loves that story!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Action Man posted:

I just found out that someone is doing a Happiness Patrol burlesque act at a show I'm going to tonight.

I am so excited someone besides this thread loves that story!

I am now very curious how that's going to work.

Keep us posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Burkion posted:

I am now very curious how that's going to work.

Keep us posted

I doubled checked to make sure it was a Happiness Patrol act and not just a 7th Doctor act, and it's the former.

I still can't believe it.

• Locked thread