Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, the hair cut didn't last long:

http://www.bigfinish.com/img/news/doomcoalitionhighres_image_large.jpg

Guess he's been too busy with The Master and the Daleks to get it cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Throw in Salamander and I'd buy it!

And I just realized - I've never seen anyone cosplay as the TV movie Master.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2987220/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

For those who have missed this fantastic slice of 70s Space Disco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4-A__lZrEA

The side links of which lead me to the complete Sapphire & Steel episodes, which I didnt know existed on Youtube. I'm watching the first episode/assignment, and it's really interesting stuff, and it's gripping in that Who-esque 70s way. I'm a little put off that the first assignment is apparently 2 hours 15 minutes long, but hey, I guess that's like a 6 parter Who story. It reminds me a lot of Hide, and things like The Stone Tapes, but I keep expecting the Doctor to show up, and he doesn't. :ohdear:

I'm guessing someone's proposed the 'Sapphire & Steel are Time Lords/CIA/etc' theory in the past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqah0bXh19E

Almost all of S&S are two and half hours long. It's very atmospheric, but you know you're in trouble when the creator of the show has said "I didn't know what the show was about".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cerv posted:

lol nerd have you watched any doctor who ever?

am i the only person here who watched the TV Movie when it first aired and didn't give a poo poo about kissing?

The kissing thing was a HUGE thing. I wasn't bothered by it because it made sense in context, but yeah, fandom was in a FUROR over it. As was the "half human" thing. And The Master being put on trial. And him being a snake. And Seventh dying like he did. And the motorcycle chase.

Or course, those fans were conveniently forgetting:

All the sex poo poo in the NAs. The kiss was far more tame than anything those books ever did (and believe me, the fans who hated the movie thought the NAs were the greatest Who ever)
The Master's trial. Why would the Daleks put the Master on trial, they asked? Probably because of the Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks stuff, was my guess.
The snake. That upset people a lot too, though it made sense if you were a fan of the show. The Master was always trying to cheat death. If he could shove his consciousness in a gelatinous snake to survive, he would totally do that.
Seventh getting shot. Complaints were why didn't he look through the scanner before stepping outside? Then again, how many episodes did he just rush out a soon as the TARDIS landed?
The motorcycle chase. "Americans put a car chase in Doctor Who! They're ruining it!" said fans who I can only guess had never seen Planet of the Spiders.

I remember one review by a NA author in DWM who bought the video, and said he went to bed disappointed after watching it, saying it "wasn't Doctor Who". Which made me shake my head. Guy wrote for the NAs, he had no position to claim the TV movie "wasn't Who" while working for Virgin.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mortanis posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the TV Movie poster? My local game shop has had it up on their wall since 1996, and I've offered to buy it since I fell in love with McGann's Doctor, but they refuse to sell. I'd love to get a version but I can't seem to find one. Theirs is a massive one, but I'd settle for poster sized.

It's this one for reference:

Not selling mine, but got it in 97, and it's McGann autographed!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm late to the party, but :fry:

Any idea when we'll find out the rest?

Friday was the announcement that their license was renewed until March 31, 2020. Saturday was the information and cover about the latest Eight Doctor series "Doom Coalition". Sunday was the announcement that they're doing more Virgin NA adaptations (All Consuming Fire, Nightshade, Theatre of War, Original Sin, plus one more), and Monday was info on the Fourth Doctor series 6 (The Doctor, the 2 Romana, and K9, set in season 18)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Oh man, please tell me Gatiss is adapting Nightshade.

No, it's a newcomer to BF, Kyle Szikora.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The only little thing that bothered me about "Night" was the lack of the Doctor Who logo in the ep.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

I thought it was pretty well universally accepted that a particularly quick/brutal/traumatic death would kill a Time Lord before regeneration could happen.

It is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

Bill and Ted rules seem to apply to Time Lords - they generally run on Gallifrey Central Time and tend to live their lives concurrently with each other, especially when on Gallifrey. Obviously, this can be broken when the plot demands it ("No, not the time scoop!") and crossing over to a place he knows he'll already be is verboten, but this helps to make sense of everyone usually meeting each other in the same order. I think it's referenced in The Apocalypse Element where the Sixth Doctor arrives on Gallifrey in what should be the Eighth Doctor's era.

At the start though, they're not on Gallifrey.

I think it's more of a case where the TARDIS will always arrive on Gallifrey at the correct relative time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Stockbridge appeared a few times in the 5th Doctor DWM comics, and latterly the 8th Doctor, as comics companion Izzy was from there too.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Stockbridge

Also in a trilogy of audios starring Davison and Sutton. With Mark Williams as Maxwell Edison in one!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

computer parts posted:

What are some good Seven audios other than Colditz? I want to explore him more, he's a devilish manipulator.

Robophobia. Seriously, everyone should listen to Robophobia.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just heads up; Big Finish has moved the release day of the novel adaptations of The Well-Mannered War and Damaged Goods from May to . . . Monday!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Matt Lucas and David Walliams of Little Britain said they would have drop the narrator for Little Britain if Tom had turned them down, because he was the only person who could say those horrible things and get away with it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And the answer to the question we've all been wondering about, but too afraid to ask due to the sheer awesomeness of it is yes. Yes, they do.

Alex Mcqueen in DWM 484 posted:

I sat down with Peter Capadi two weeks ago for lunch, and I was telling him how much I enjoy it [playing the Master], and how it reminds me slightly of out Thick of It relationship, in which I dominate him in some ways, even though he's a really powerful figure in that series

God, I wish there was a transcript of that discussion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, it's not like the BBC can stop RTD doing what he wants, mostly because as often noted, he's literally a giant and they're scared of him.

Did you read the latest the DWM? Moffat actually talks about this.

Steven Moffat posted:

I though I'd get away with it [not being a public figure] more than Russell, because Russell is hard to miss. You know he's one inch below giant height? He told me the other night. If he was one inch taller, he'd officially be classed as a giant. It's true! Well, he says it's true.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well we can only assume that he gave his blessing for them to include a comment on Torchwood. Either that or he wasn't able to catch little Nick Briggs before he grabbed the reference from RTD's mantel and slid safely back to earth down the beanstalk.

BF has done four Gareth Roberts' adaptations, and we haven't heard a peep from Roberts.

They gave away to subscribers an extended bonus features download because RTD wouldn't shut up.

God bless RTD.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Forktoss posted:

Anything particularly great or noteworthy in series 3 and 4? I feel like I need a Lost Stories palate cleanser after trudging through the mostly pretty bad first series.

All the Davison ones are great. The First Sontarans and The Guardians of Prophecy are good too. Avoid Power Play. And while the First Doctor ones don't reach the heights of Farewell, Great Macedon, they're not bad either. The Troughton ones are good too (although Lords of the Red Planet is very similar to The First Sontarans, as it turns out both the Sontarans/Ice Warriors were actually genetically created beings. The Mega's not bad, though at six eps it's a bit long.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Why BF? Why must you tempt us? You know we can't resist.
:negative:

Quick question, what's the quality of the stories like on some of the non-Who series? I was looking at their Sherlock, and Dorian Grey series, and umming-and-ahhing.

Sherlock Holmes is awesome. Wasn't too thrilled with Dorian Gray. Didn't bother getting series 2.

GET BLAKE'S 7! Seriously, even if you've never seen an episode, GET BLAKE'S 7! The full cast stuff is on par with their Who stuff.

GET BLAKE'S 7!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I enjoyed Survivors a good bit and am looking forward to Series 2 and 3 this year. Frankenstein is on my list as well, especially since Arthur Darvill is in it.

FRANKENSTEIN was really good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Tch. Look at this guy who hasn't even made his own spreadsheet for those.

Tch, a person who needs a speadsheet because he doesn't own them all.

The lighting thing's weird though. Apparently, the mindset was, "we built this set, we got to make sure everyone sees it." I don't know if it came from a fear that if they didn't light everything, the BBC would wonder why the needed that big of a budget if everything was in the dark anyway, or if it was the lighting union raising a stink. I think James Cameron had similar problems when trying to film Aliens with a British crew, and them telling him that they knew how to light the drat thing.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 24, 2015

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Man, when I first saw the synopsis for this, I was certain it was going to be the Doctor versus Klein. The Eight Doctor and Tracey Childs in a story written by Steve Lyons, Klein's creator?

Thank god Time Works was good, or else I would have been really disappointed.

Bicyclops posted:

Haha. They must at least pay decently, I guess, or else be very pleasant to work with, because they've managed to get pretty much everybody back at this point.

Jason Haigh-Ellery is adamant that the recordings be easygoing affairs. He wants to make sure everyone enjoys themselves, and aren't under any pressure.

The one actor they couldn't get was Anthony Ainley to reprise the Master. Apparently, he wanted script approval, casting approval, and more money than the Doctors were getting. Gary Russell tried to be accommodating, but eventually said, "Sod this, it's not worth the effort" and called Geoffrey Beevers instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

God, I'd forgotten that Creed of the Kromon is right after Scherzo. Talk about the best of times and the worst of times.

I think they just drag out the issue of her actually telling him what's going on wayyyy too long because they're afraid of upsetting the apple cart

Actually, no. They had only planned to do a couple of stories with the pairing, but the actors had such great chemistry, they decided to add a few more stories, making the arc longer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The thing I remember best about this story? It's the one where the modulation they used on the termites speaking made me ill. Like, physically ill. The buzzing sound in my ears just had an odd effect.

DoctorWhat posted:

Just laughed my rear end off at Dark Eyes 4, part 3:

The Master: In the wrong hands, [the Doctor's Tardis key] could be a very powerful tool. And I am definitely the wrong hands.

Liv Chenka: I thought you were the powerful tool.

For me, it's the Dalek's report to the Dalek Time Controller

"There is a one hundred percent probability that the Master will betray us." Not 98 percent. Not 99.9 percent. Nope, this motherfucker is going to betray us, no doubt about it.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 1, 2015

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish is doing Torchwood.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/594928453507555328

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Here's the story

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torchwood

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

adhuin posted:

What's up with Gallifrey season 1-3 being CD only?
I wouldn't mind listening for more Leela, but I don't want CD-clutter either.

They didn't do downloads back then, so now it's a long slog to get all everyone to sign off on contracts to allow them to be sold as downloads.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The House of the Dead as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

King Plum the Nth posted:

I'd swear most of his film career is a bet or training excercise he has with hemself to find the most crap scripts/parts and still try to be amazing in them. He somehow made GI Joe worth fast forwarding through and was the only reason I didn't become physically violent during the abominable adaptation of The Dark is Rising. I was so excited when he was anounced for the villian in Thor 2 but I agree he met his match there. It's not even the worst movie he's been in but he made no impression at all. Given how magnetic he is and his aptitude for elevating the worst dialogue it was uncanny. Could have been anybody under that makeup. Like a stuntman. Or a contest winner. Such a waste.

He flat out said in a interview he really only does films for the money, and that he considers TV to be his true passion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Found this interesting. Reading DWM's "The Fact of Fiction" on "Rose" in DWM 485, RTD clarifies something that many people have argued about since it aired in 2005, and it's no, the Doctor had not just regenerated.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Are the Nick Briggs Sherlock Holmes audios any good?

Yep.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

When everybody uses guns anyway, is there any advantage to warriors being tall? Tall gives you a longer reach for melee weapons, but guns exist. Short and stocky would give a lower center of gravity. You could also have lower more efficient ceilings (nobody does because television, but they could). Might have an advantage on high grav planets too.

The changing height could be in universe too. Sontarans are grown in clone batches, right? And the various clone lines have a bit of competition with each other. So it is possible that they experiment with size a bit to come up with the best warriors for given environments.

The Sontarans come from a high grav world, which is why they are short, and much stronger on other worlds.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

River Song has always struck me as being nothing so much as GMS being *extremely* pissy that he never got a chance to write an NA with Benny in. (Mind you, if I were in his place I'd be pissy too because Benny's probably the best thing the NAs did.)

Which isn't saying much. Benny is like the most Mary Sue-ist character ever created.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's being reported that Moffat's signed up for Series 10.

I think one of the problems with Absolution is that it came at the beginning of Briggs' role of executive producer, and one of the things that he mandated that every episode had to be a strict 25 minutes long, whereas Gary Russell was content to let the episodes be as long as they needed to be to suit the story. Thankfully, Briggs has eased up on that, but Absolution feels too rushed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My copy of Something Inside came from BF autographed by India Fisher.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

Man, the incidental music in Time Reef is weird. There's one "scary end of scene" transition that sounds exactly the the death sound in Pac-Man.

Oh, and Moffat owes Platt and Morris some serious royalty payments.

Johnny or Mark Morris? Because definitely Mark for House Of Blue Fire.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Love and Monsters" is more enjoyable when you realise it's about Doctor Who fans and the villain is Ian Levine.

Speaking of that gobshite, anyone see this? It's a young child dressed as Matt Smith's Doctor, interviewing TOM:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/05/mini-matt-smith-meets-doctors.html

So of course, Levine goes on Twitter and makes fun of the kid.

Oh, and for a palate cleanser:

https://twitter.com/seanpertwee/status/602263012582404097

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 24, 2015

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I've only been reading the Eleventh Doctor series, but that one, at least, is fantastic.

Also, I could've sworn I saw a Ninth Doctor book on the rack a couple of weeks ago. Is that published by another company, or are they just not involving the book in the crossover?

Nope, same company. Sometimes I think it's Titan's plan to have a book based on every Doctor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jago and Litefoot is worth just for the behind the scenes stuff. Benjamin and Baxter obviously have such fondness for one another, and they often come off like a less acerbic Statler and Waldorf.

eg, from Series 9's behind the scenes:

Baxter: I do love working with all these young actors Big Finish hires.
Benjamin: Well, they'd be hard pressed to find anyone older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Aw, man, don’t tell me that, I was just about to talk myself out of plunking down for the full bundle…

Edit – No, I’m going to be good. I’ll pick up the “Voyages” stuff and the Companion Chronicle, and if I like it I’ll wait for the next sale.

I hate being an adult. What’s the point of being grown up?

If I'm not mistaken, the "Voyages" stuff is always 5 pounds (at least, it was at release and for a while after that) so it's not really a bargain.

• Locked thread