Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Teek posted:

Yeah, I think once the Dalek's achieved extensive time travel, they would essentially exist outside of time, even if someone destroyed Skaro.

Someone destroyed Skaro even though the Doctor told him not to use the Hand of Omega, right after he said not to throw him in the briar patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Time to begin penning a letter to the Doctor Who Experience with an idea for a musical log flume ride.

You really want Joseph Lidster to write that for you?

CobiWann posted:

So...this is my first Who convention and I am NOT prepared for this. So many utili-kilts...so many fezzes...

Hey, I'm still at work! Spoiler-tag that poo poo!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

I can only imagine an American Who convention as being fezzes, bowties, converse hi-tops and TARDIS dresses as far as the eye can see. And DoctorWhat as the sole Classic Who holdout, constantly having to explain who he is.

"The sixth Doctor. No, the sixth. Colin Baker. No, the one with the scarf was Tom Baker."

I'm hoping to see a few more old-timers there. Maryland Public Television showed the original series for a little over 20 years, and was the last holdout in the US even as the BBC kept restricting what episodes they were able to show.

At least we'll have each other, Cobi!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I AM EATING DAVROS' LEFTOVER PEANUTS, LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND WEEP.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Topics that came up with an increasingly inebriated Sylvester McCoy: prohibition, paper liquor store bags, the death penalty, right-to-try laws, Werner von Braun, Nazi medical experiments, Operation Paperclip, the role of race and religion in politics, gentrification and DC voting rights.

Topics that did NOT come up: Doctor Who

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The irony being that the iconography created for the TV movie (the TARDIS set, the costume, Eight's demeaon) was a perfect holding pattern for everything following that wasn't on the air. It finally loosed any remaining bonds with the dying days of the original series for novels, comics and, eventually, Big Finish. Going with a general historical, timeless feel made for a great holding pattern over the next eight years. McGann, too, always seemed the most timeless of Doctors equally comfortable and confused no matter where he was, a performance he (still) excels at.

In a way, we did get the best of both worlds. We may not have gotten the series back, but it made the remaining wilderness years so much more open and friendly than the NA era before it.

CobiWann posted:

Big Finish came up a LOT. Not only at panels with the actors, but there were a few panels about introducing people to the audios, and Terry Molloy and Nev Fountain had panels about acting and writing for Big Finish. And there was some spirited bar conversation as well between a few of us.

Your wife told you to go off and have fun. We took you to an alcohol fueled, IRL version of this thread. I'd call that a job well done. :unsmith:

And Terry Malloy pointed out, a few times, that he hasn't done any Big Finishes for a while. You know, like when a character is set to come back in the main series. Not that he's saying anything specific, of course, why would you infer that?

He also said that Davros is coming back in the near future in the main series.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

The motorcycle chase. "Americans put a car chase in Doctor Who! They're ruining it!" said fans who I can only guess had never seen Planet of the Spiders.

Haha , the motorcycle scene could have been slotted into any and every Tennant episode and no one would have blinked.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sentinel Red posted:

Kinda is on the 'Horror' Channel right now and holy gently caress, this poo poo is so bad, I have no idea how you guys keep a straight face saying the old series are still worth watching. Or at least, the ones made in the 70s and 80s, I'll concede the 60s stuff does have a certain je ne sais quoi.

Welcome to the Doctor Who Thread. You're going to have fun here.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

You have to be able to ease your way into the era, though even for when it was made Who was pretty bad looking.

I'm a big fan of toku series of all eras so I'm pretty well used to super cheap production values.

The paradoxical thing about Who was that the longer it ran the worse it looked. The production hit a stride in the 60s and mostly kept that stride in the 70s. However as the decades went on, the costs of making a decent looking show rose, and the budget remained the same.

The bigger paradox was that the less they had to work with, the more ambitious they got - Enlightenment would have been a nightmare to tackle even with a motion picture budget. It's always nice to hear people who worked on the show pointing out that it really should looked much, much worse but for the effort they put in working with essentially nothing.

Seeing the actors over the weekend really drove him the theatrical nature of the original series. Realism was never the goal, and accepting what's presented as standing in for a larger, more complex world the way you would a play helps a lot.

Now let's see if we can turn this into another "theatre is a dead art form" derail.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

She's a great actor and I'm sure she'll appreciate being on a show where no one dies!

[FangRockTomBakerGrinningAfterEntireGuestCastDiesHorribly.gif]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

I thought it was pretty well universally accepted that a particularly quick/brutal/traumatic death would kill a Time Lord before regeneration could happen.

At the very least, this seems necessary to maintain tension in all the non-regeneration episodes. It'd get pretty old if the Doctor got all :smug: whenever somebody threatened to shoot him. "Hope you got another clip there, champ."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

One criticism I remember being raised about "Night" (in the previous thread, I think, or maybe the one before it) is that it turned the Eighth Doctor into a coward. I think I can see that, but at the same time, I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing.

I've never understood that accusation. It wasn't action or involvement the Doctor was opposed to, but the Time Lords themselves. He may have been born of them, but was increasingly disgusted by their actions even over the run of the original series. [colinbakerspeech] Most of all, the idea of war has always been completely anathema to the Doctor. War is broad, war is uncompromising, war is loyalty to the chain of command. War is rejecting that there can be "another way."

Up to the point where he chooses the "warrior" cup, he would have considered that the coward's way. Not having to make the decisions yourself, responsibility spread across the entirety of "your side", dedication not to freedom or adventure or even morality, but simply to win the conflict at any cost. To accept that, to turn his back on everything he'd lived for since the moment he stole the TARDIS... that's why he could no longer be the Doctor.

At least that's what I got out of it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
See, that still seems more "French Resistance" to me than Switzerland. He certainly would have foiled the Daleks at any available opportunity and thumbed his nose at the Time Lords, but he would have done it all on his own terms.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Bill and Ted rules seem to apply to Time Lords - they generally run on Gallifrey Central Time and tend to live their lives concurrently with each other, especially when on Gallifrey. Obviously, this can be broken when the plot demands it ("No, not the time scoop!") and crossing over to a place he knows he'll already be is verboten, but this helps to make sense of everyone usually meeting each other in the same order. I think it's referenced in The Apocalypse Element where the Sixth Doctor arrives on Gallifrey in what should be the Eighth Doctor's era.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Again, I know what's upcoming with C'rizz, so I'm willing to endure his stories until that final piece of absolution.

I see what you did there!

I quite liked Girl That Never Was. Getting Alan Barnes back was a good idea, since he oversaw the stories that made us fall in love with Charley, even if he does a few callbacks to Storm Warning which are juuuust this side of cutesy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Better story for the kiddo - City of Death or Robots of Death?

Web of Caves. It's high time she got to see the Gatiss Doctor.

Edit - Doc-tooooooohhhhrrrrrrr

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Forktoss posted:

And the third Hitchhiker book is based on the unproduced Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen and other rejected pitches. Adams wasn't one to let an idea go unused a good two or three times.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Any other story from seasons 25 and 26 are better than Battlefield.

Counterpoint: If you want to hear Sylvester McCoy say "Brrrrrrrrrigadier", you have limited options.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

You have Remembrance. :colbert:

Group Captain!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

HE STILL SAYS IT

How about this, then? Sylvester McCoy and Nicholas Courtney have an instant rapport that makes it seem like they've been working together for years.

Also, Pyromaniac Girlfriend.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The Doctor never switched the TARDIS film library to VHS, and he made the right decision. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

Why would he switch a film library onto video? :colbert: :colbert:

K-9 did double duty as projector. Without him, it's all on Beta: films, lost television episodes, Prydonian training video outtakes, it's all there .o

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The woefully out-of-date picture on the button at the bottom?

"Maybe we should take Jon Pertwee off the promotional materials, give that Davison bloke a chance."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It annoys me when TennantDoc is the de facto image of the show in anything fans put together, but doing it on an official BBC page drives me spare. "The good era ended six years ago folks, pity about the guys who came after..."

Rant over. Maybe.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The article linked underneath is pretty fun, and a lot of it is stuff I haven't heard yet.

Radio Times posted:

Legendarily fierce Blue Peter editor Biddy Baxter initially refused to allow Sophie Aldred’s Ace to wear a BP badge on her bomber jacket, insisting such a privilege had to be earned. A production secretary was duly dispatched to check the badge’s provenance, and was able to confirm that, in 1970, it had been won fairly and squarely by 11-year-old Sophie Aldred, of Blackheath, for her brilliant design for a rocket launcher built using a washing-up liquid bottle and a length of garden hose. They should probably have put her in charge of the special effects as well.

:eyepop:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

computer parts posted:

What are some good Seven audios other than Colditz? I want to explore him more, he's a devilish manipulator.

I just finished The Dark Husband the other day, and it works pretty well as a comedic Seven/Ace/Hex story where they keep trying to figure out what his masterplan is. It's pretty much Doctor Who does Red Dwarf - Hex is essentially Dave Lister through most of it. The Harvest has already been mentioned (even if I think it chickened out of the moral questions it raised by making it a run of the mill invasion story), mostly liked the two back-to-back historicals The Settling and No Man's Land and can't extoll enough how thoroughly I enjoyed Unregenerate! Not a lot of chessmaster stuff in any of those, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rochallor posted:

I adore The Dark Husband. I don't think I've ever made it past the first episode of Red Dwarf, so I can't make that comparison, but to me it felt a lot like a Robert Holmes script minus the cynicism. It's just really endlessly clever. It nails the Ace-Hex relationship, too.

Then you absolutely need to catch the rest of Red Dwarf, especially if you like Hex going on about lager.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Okay, I've raved about Big Finish's sound design before, but I'm doing Haunting of Thomas Brewster and... are you sure they're not in my office? Like, right now? Goons, is that you? CobiWan... Jerusalem?!

I'm not even here by myself! On a decent set of headphones, it's that good

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

He and Alan Rickman are having a contest to see how long each can resist their destiny of playing the Master.

Luckily for us, while they were spitting on God's beautiful plan, Michelle Gomez slid in and took her rightful place on the throne.

That's fine, we needed the Black Guardian back, anyway.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I only accept versions of Hitchhiker's with surprise Valentine Dyall or where Peter Davison plays the Dish of the Day. Preferably both. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

A few? I kind of grabbed them all…

Although I guess this does give me an excuse to go back and watch the whole “Key to Time” arc with Tom Baker.

You need an excuse to watch The Ribos Operation? :confused:

EDIT - I think it's its own excuse. "Can't come in to work today. Being treated for dangerously low ham levels."

After The War fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 15, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I started Assassin in the Limelight today and realized I juuuuust missed hearing it on the 150th anniversary of the day it takes place :(

Also, the accents. Good God, the accents.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Barry Foster posted:

Again, they're all American or Canadian actors!

Whether it's that they're trying to push a regional accent they can't do or playing it up for British audiences, (most likely both) it sounds goofy regardless of country of origin.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

I missed the BF chat earlier, but Urgent Calls is definitely one of the best of the one-part stories.

Colin Baker is just superb in that. I think we threw it around as the best way to induct people into the cult of C-Bakes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The crack never bothered me particularly in that it's what this Doctor fears, not necessarily what the Doctor fears as an ongoing character of 50 years. It goes back to his first story and means his ultimate failure. The fear isn't the crack itself per se, it's that, over the course of this life, he was unable to make a difference.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
"Oh God, Boy That Time Forgot really is as bad as they said... but at least I'm almost at the end and Paul Magrs hasn't had any masturbatory references to his own character s - gently caress, the Doctor's talking about Iris Wildthyme for no reason."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

for some proper Adricing.

Not a term to be used in polite company. Or ever.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Haha. They must at least pay decently, I guess, or else be very pleasant to work with, because they've managed to get pretty much everybody back at this point. I think Jackie Lane and Mathew Waterhouse are the only living companions from Classic Who who haven't recorded with them.

People liked the Fifth Doctor Box Set, so you don't have pretend it didn't exist! Unless you're doing a Method thing where you only know about the audios as far as you've listened, in which case... bravo.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The best thing about Web Planet:

:eng101: "Quick! Chatterton! Give me your tie!"
:confused: "Okay, but I don't -"

ssssssss

:eng101: "Yes! That proves it! Definitely acid!"
:mad: "Dammit, Doctor, they make us pay for those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

At this point, I wonder what doesn't sync with Dark Side of the Moon.

A complete Floyd reunion. :smithcloud:

• Locked thread