Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This is the second monster hunter game I've tried and I still don't "get" it. I feel like I should really like it, but then I play it and I get frustrated when despite limping a monster proves impossible to capture.

Am I missing something? I hated dark souls until I started playing the way it's supposed to be played, so I'm hopin g I'm just missing something here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Probably because it's a bad game, OP.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Seems like grindy jap MMO crap to me OP.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
dont wory about the loot and just enjoy the fights .. i only played some mh freedom unite but grinding for rare drops seems l ike my idea of a bad time. but the combat system is real fun + feels and looks cool when u get skilled at it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it's because you are retarded, OP.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its cool, op, im gonna assume you love borderlands from now on

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

PleasingFungus posted:

Probably because it's a bad game, OP.

mysterious loyall X posted:

por que no los dos

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

elf help book posted:

its cool, op, im gonna assume you love borderlands from now on

I bought the second one on Steam during a super sale and I stopped playing because it's boring

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
never played it, but there was some monster hunter mission in metal gear peace walker that i played and it was gay

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I feel like I'd like MonHun a lot more if the areas were contiguous and you didn't have to chase monsters across separated zones and loading screens.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I don't get why Asians love tedious grinds so much

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Verisimilidude posted:

I get frustrated when despite limping a monster proves impossible to capture.
if a monster is limping you should be able to capture it. always wait for it to go to a new zone so it doesnt limp off immediately after you drop the trap. when it is in the trap you hit it with two tranq bombs. not one, not three. two.

e: one thing that tripped me up when i started was thinking a monster was limping off when it really wasnt. sometimes if it's exhausted it can slow down and look a little different walking but limping is usually very obvious

metricchip posted:

I feel like I'd like MonHun a lot more if the areas were contiguous and you didn't have to chase monsters across separated zones and loading screens.
you probably dont have a vita but soul sacrifice is basically this.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 26, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Awesome! posted:

if a monster is limping you should be able to capture it. always wait for it to go to a new zone so it doesnt limp off immediately after you drop the trap. when it is in the trap you hit it with two tranq bombs. not one, not three. two.

e: one thing that tripped me up when i started was thinking a monster was limping off when it really wasnt. sometimes if it's exhausted it can slow down and look a little different walking but limping is usually very obvious

Yeah this. Exhaustion has a lot of very visible tells like the monster panting, drooling, stumbling a lot and sometimes completely failing to execute its attacks (like trying to breath fire but just coughing). At first I thought this meant it was capturable but it's just exhausted. Limping is when the monster is capturable and it means it walks with a limp and makes retarded sounds. But it'll only limp when not actively attacking, usually you won't even be able to notice it limp until it flees to a new area. Try making Nerscylla armor or crafting perception gems to get the skill that flashes on your minimap when a monster can be captured, that'll save you from a big headache.

Really monster hunter clicks when you get to the point that there's a couple different weapons or armor you want to make so you're like " Ok I'll kill jaggi for this, kill zamtrios for this, kill tetuscabra for this, etc". It's more fun when you have a lot of stuff to aim for so you aren't grinding the same thing over and over.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'freedom unite' is a silly title and the grammar doesn't make sense. why don't they hire decent translators who understand ~gravitas~?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

'freedom unite' is a silly title and the grammar doesn't make sense. why don't they hire decent translators who understand ~gravitas~?

because you touch yourself at night.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah this. Exhaustion has a lot of very visible tells like the monster panting, drooling, stumbling a lot and sometimes completely failing to execute its attacks (like trying to breath fire but just coughing). At first I thought this meant it was capturable but it's just exhausted. Limping is when the monster is capturable and it means it walks with a limp and makes retarded sounds. But it'll only limp when not actively attacking, usually you won't even be able to notice it limp until it flees to a new area. Try making Nerscylla armor or crafting perception gems to get the skill that flashes on your minimap when a monster can be captured, that'll save you from a big headache.

Really monster hunter clicks when you get to the point that there's a couple different weapons or armor you want to make so you're like " Ok I'll kill jaggi for this, kill zamtrios for this, kill tetuscabra for this, etc". It's more fun when you have a lot of stuff to aim for so you aren't grinding the same thing over and over.

oh yeah?

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
for some reason I don't like grindy poo poo generally, but Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter are really fun for some reason

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Use great swords OP.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Mustard Cunter

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Schnedwob posted:

Mustard Cunter

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

move this sadbrains thread to Games or possibly e/n

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Why is this forum full of idiots! fuCCK you all.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

I don't get it either, op. I recently tried the monster hunter 4u (or whatever the gently caress it's called) demo and it played really clunky. That and having to chase the damned monsters made the game lovely.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

maybe I thought he was limping. he went to the next room and I caught him sleeping and I figured that once I trapped him and used tranq bombs he must've regained some HP or some bullshit

also it sucks when they only give you 3 tranq bombs and one trap

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if you don't like monster hunter it means you are a normal person. perhaps take up games where you don't perform the same 30 minute task a dozen times.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Verisimilidude posted:

maybe I thought he was limping. he went to the next room and I caught him sleeping and I figured that once I trapped him and used tranq bombs he must've regained some HP or some bullshit

also it sucks when they only give you 3 tranq bombs and one trap

it's possible that he slept up enough hp to not be capturable any more. i like to hit them once or twice just to be sure. if they gave you tranqs and a trap i assume it was a capture quest and i always bring the max tranqs and traps for those because trapping can be bullshit sometimes with the monster just not wanting to get in.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

there is zero point in playing monster hunter alone, you need 3 other people to make it less dull

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

I don't get why Asians love tedious grinds so much

Abnegation

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

there is zero point in playing monster hunter alone, you need 3 other people to make it less dull

friends are cool

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Monster hunter is designed to make retards hate the game and want to kill themselves

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

That's because it is grindy MMO crap.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
monster hunter is bad

it controls like a ps1 game and plays like an mmo which i burned out on years ago

hth

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To get Monster Hunter OP you need to go to a store that sells video games or go online to the Nintendo eShop and spend money to purchase Monster Hunter, and then you will get it.

You're welcome OP.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

because you're a man-sized wrinkled scrotum, op

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played MH3 and really didn't like it and then I played the first couple of hours of MH4 and didn't get it and now I love it. So I guess try it again and see if it clicks and if it doesn't just accept that the game isn't for you and forget about it like a normal loving person would

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I haven't played one since the first one on the PS2, but I tried the 3DS demo and it seems to be more of the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The awful controls are the worst thing about Monster Hunter imo, the whole game is about grinding to get better stuff to fight things which you then grind to get stuff from them etc so if that's not your bag then obviously you won't have fun with it. I like it because you always have something to work towards, there's no point where I felt like "ok what do I do now" because I always was thinking about what I wanted to do/get next.

But man are the controls and the fighting itself clunky and lovely

• Locked thread