Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

That's a relief.

So what good practices do you recommend?

In the past I had a lot of free time and thought about this for fun. Basically, it's useless as NSA and Google already own our souls. However, this hasn't stopped me from being careful anyways.

1) Never use public services like Gmail. Host your own email servers.
2) Never join social networks. Delete all your old inactive accounts.
3) Secure all forms of communications between you and the other person. Yes, that means you need to "educate" all your friends/family. Good luck.
4) Build your own PC. It's fun and you can prevent companies from spying on you or installing backdoors. Never buy pre-made tech/laptops too.
5. VPN your internet. Don't visit shady sites as Google will track you based on your unique cookie ID. Yeah, Incognito is a lie :v:
6. Don't use a smartphone. Cell phone companies can track you via call records/towers. Keep a pre-paid Nokia instead.
7. Religiously Google your IRL name, handles, and ID to see if anyone posted relevant info. I suggest 3-5x a month to be sure there's no public record of you out there. Never upload photos and ask everyone to never do that same if it contains your face somewhere.
8. Leave America and move to idek. However, keep in mind if you renounce your American citizenship you lose access to the Bill of Rights. There's nothing stopping the CIA/FBI from kidnaping you on your vacation too. Oh well.

It's a huge waste of time but a interesting what-if game. Also, you will have to break all the cameras in the store(s) as they probably have your likeness recorded.

Alder fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zogo posted:

More and more hardware itself has backdoors and other monitoring abilities built-in.

Fine, we're all going to prison. Together :coffee:

At least we'll be in good company too.

Anne Whateley posted:

I think google is going to be able to put some things together if you frequently google "legal name" "nickname" "username1" "username2"

Depending on what you need to do, best idea is to go to a nonobvious public library that doesn't require login for computer access and doesn't bother with security cameras, tracking of computer timeslots, etc. Bonus points if it also has a warrant canary.

True, maybe I should Bing it. Or DuckDuckGo. But they all are terrible search engines.

The library keeps records of your searches, you know, because they have a ISP which is *gasp* connected to the government. Basically, if the US govt wants you to disappear there's nothing you can do to stop them :v:

@OP: Stop doing illegal things. There's no escape from America.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

The library itself doesn't keep record of your searches. The ISP obviously knows about all the traffic. The point is just that if you go to the right library, they won't be able to trace activity back to a real-world identity.

That's still not for a scenario where you want to google all your usernames every week, or for all your internet activity. The library thing is for a scenario where you want to send an untraceable email or update a blog. That's why it's important to know exactly what the OP is trying to do/avoid.

Depends IIRC the library can't keep paper records of the books you borrow/return but nothing is stopping the local librarian from noticing how Person A took out a lot of survival/gun manuals. Even the computer lab would have people who you would need to check in which is tied to your library card required to access the internet. The only way to be 100% anon if you had a closet full of disguises and IDs for each time you left the house.

Isn't tech a wonderful thing? :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

This thread is about being anonymous on the internet though.

Yes, and OP can't hide in the library even. It depends as I went to the NYC library and they wanted a card to use their PCs but on the bright side I can leech off their wifi if I just sit there in NYPL. On the other hand when I went to Queens library and I had to register for a card to borrow wifi.

I don't think it's totally possible to be anon online as long as they plan to login anywhere due to Google tracking us as we speak. Unless he does the whole encrypt everything route meant for spies and other people of interest to the govt. By then they should be 99.9% safe but the internet speed might be reduced to dial-up but hey the things you do for security :v:

Overall to summarize:
Step 1) Don't be illegal
Step 2) See above

• Locked thread