Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

Because of the NSA revelations, as well as due to the many doxxings I've seen recently, for a while I've thought that I'd like to minimize my footprints online.

Use different usernames on different sites.
Don't crosspost pictures of yourself on multiple sites as they could be reverse image searched.

Who are you trying to hide from? If you want full privacy from everyone just trash all your electronic devices. The Obama administration has been spying on heads of state from powerful countries with impunity. Elements in the US government have the means to spy on each other as well. Random civilians using tinkertoy programs have no privacy online.

Non Serviam posted:

Basically, imagine I'm Edward Snowden. What tools should I use?

Well, he fled the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you post using somebody's WiFi anonymously, how could they track you down?

Cookies
Packet analysis
Wireless MAC address of the device

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

But if it came right down to it, wouldn't they have to have physical possession of your computer for proof?

For proof of what? To do what?

Alder posted:

4) Build your own PC. It's fun and you can prevent companies from spying on you or installing backdoors. Never buy pre-made tech/laptops too.

More and more hardware itself has backdoors and other monitoring abilities built-in.

Alder posted:

8. Leave America and move to idek. However, keep in mind if you renounce your American citizenship you lose access to the Bill of Rights. There's nothing stopping the CIA/FBI from kidnaping you on your vacation too. Oh well.

Also,

https://youtu.be/2u6KdHmoMbw?t=20s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you were supposedly doing something illegal, wouldn't the authorities have to have physical proof on your computer?

Oh that's a different issue from being anonymous.

No, they don't need physical proof/evidence to make an arrest. There's been blunders where agencies mixed up IP addresses and arrested the wrong person and ruined a persons livelihood only to admit mistake years later.

In murder cases I think they've prosecuted people just on google searches when no physical evidence existed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not trying to hide from anyone in particular. It mostly deals, as I mentioned before, in being as secure as possible in a situation where nobody is actively trying to find me, and without actually having to eliminate all my electronics.
Thanks

OK, that's a very different thing from being Edward Snowden.

Non Serviam posted:

What I see is that there's obviously not a simple answer like "use this, this and this program, avoid these practices, etc. "

Yea, there have been decent and authentic encryption services like Lavabit et al. but the gov't started serving court orders to allow for eavesdropping ability.

Lava bit founder Ladar Levison: "I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit."

Jolly Green Giant posted:

Still no threat model... What information do you have and who are you protecting it from?

If you're just trying to not get your cc info stolen then that is a totally different issue (probably impossible, just get a card with good fraud protection and protection if your cc info is stolen).

Personally none.

I haven't had CC issues online but I have had a few CC issues with local POS transactions as the economy has continued to worsen for many people.

Alder posted:

Fine, we're all going to prison. Together :coffee:

At least we'll be in good company too.

I'm innocent and not going to prison. On the other hand,

Edward Snowden: "If I end up in chains in Guantánamo I can live with that."

• Locked thread