Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
If you post using somebody's WiFi anonymously, how could they track you down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

PT6A posted:

If someone is interested in what you're doing, there's almost nothing you can do to evade them completely. If you're worried about someone in the future being interested in what you've already done, you have a lot less to worry about. Even people doing things that are outright illegal don't get caught because their Internet history is being combed over by some NSA supercomputer, they get caught because it's essentially impossible to hide from someone who has a reasonable idea you're doing something illegal and wants to catch you doing it.

I used to post on a now defunct local message board and got into numerous heated discussions with another poster. He claimed to be a "military-trained" criminologist who "made generals tremble in fear". He would repeatedly violate the site's TOS and I would report him resulting in his posts being removed.

He swore I was hacking the site and personally deleting his posts (despite his getting numerous emails from the moderators). He told me was going to "track my rear end down" and "bring my rear end to justice" for violating state and Federal computer commerce laws. He got banned for that one.

That was in 2011.

I'm still waiting.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Non Serviam posted:

Precisely. He wants to Surprise you.

The funny thing is that I posted to the site anonymously (they never verified personal info), but he would always put his website in his signature. I knew more about him than he did of me. He's in his mid-to-late 60s, so he better get to it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Non Serviam posted:

I think hacking and Internet police are pretty common threats in forums.

When I challenged him on how he would go about legally getting my info from the site, he just kept saying stuff like, "Yeah, I got you running scared now".

I had a good laugh.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Zogo posted:

Cookies
Packet analysis
Wireless MAC address of the device

But if it came right down to it, wouldn't they have to have physical possession of your computer for proof?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Zogo posted:

For proof of what? To do what?

If you were supposedly doing something illegal, wouldn't the authorities have to have physical proof on your computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Alder posted:

Depends IIRC the library can't keep paper records of the books you borrow/return but nothing is stopping the local librarian from noticing how Person A took out a lot of survival/gun manuals. Even the computer lab would have people who you would need to check in which is tied to your library card required to access the internet. The only way to be 100% anon if you had a closet full of disguises and IDs for each time you left the house.

Isn't tech a wonderful thing? :v:

My local library does not require any kind on ID to use their computers. You just sign in to a terminal and it gives you a ticket with a PC number and a time.

• Locked thread