Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh goddammit, this was thought of, implemented, and the playerlist filled all in the time that I was at work with my data plan killed. This is like the exact sort of thing I like. Curses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asiina posted:

Goddamnit, I thought it was 90s but youtube was saying 2003.

I should have known better since I remember doing a dance in my tap and jazz class to this song.

No, that's totally from the 90s, they're probably basing the copyright date off a greatest hits compilation or something.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh, do I have ideas for you. Yes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I channeled my inner pretentious teenager to make this.

Click through the sides for to listen.

Black paint, whiteout and recycled culture are the art tools that teens have available.

Nightlight:
Angelo Badalamenti - Fire Walk With Me (incomplete)
Anthrax - Black Lodge
Melvins - Honey Bucket
Tori Amos - Sugar
Fugazi - Do You Like Me
Beck - rear end in a top hat
Earth - Tallahassee
Placebo - Peeping Tom

Daylight:
Angelo Badalamenti - Laura Palmer's Theme (incomplete)
Moby - Go
Was (Not Was) - I Feel Better Than James Brown
Pixies - Alec Eiffel
Martin Page - In the House of Stone and Light
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Storm Hit
Jesus Jones - Real Real Real
The Smashing Pumpkins - Rhinoceros

Listen for the tape hiss and the bad edits

What do they mean

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The downside to trying to make a ~moody~ and ~mysterious~ tape is that you don't have the opportunity to crank out a lecture on how rad each band is and where they came from and whatnot.

If I didn't have nine minutes to deadline, I'd do it.

I might still do it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That said, sure, while Country House took the Battle of Britpop, it was Oasis who won the war with What's The Story outselling the moody and troubled Great Escape by loads and loads. Also, really, I'd almost have gone with Popscene over Girls and Boys, and either the Cigarettes and Alcohol b-side Fade Away or Live Forever as the Gallaghers' entry. Also, surprisingly little shoegaze. Huh.

(I have a weird relationship with Britpop, in that I got there a year or two late when, in the wake of Song 2 becoming Blur's second chart entry in the States and their first one of significance (Girls and Boys hit, like, #38 for one week and then immediately dropped off the charts again), a girl I knew* in band---Michelle? Melissa? something M-shaped, definitely---in the French horn section gave me a copy of Parklife she'd gotten and disliked with the comment, "Here, you like weird music. You'll probably like this." Girls and Boys didn't grab me much, but by the time I got around to the back of the record, hit Magic America, Clover Over Dover and This is a Low, I was hooked, and immediately started getting the rest of the collection. It wasn't until I got to college a couple years after that that I got the internet and started finding out that there were all these other bands out there.)

*we knew each other, we gave each other poo poo, we probably could have dated if I hadn't been so completely morose and useless all the time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

No Pull Shapes? I am frowning so hard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yes, but pissing off Bingo and Silent Girl is more important

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I thought to myself, what sort of moody things were teen-me into? Weird television, weird music, all that. I settled on Twin Peaks as a vague connecting-tissue sort of theme, though I totally considered something local, northeastern PA radio as microcosm of the rise of second-wave yarling in post-grunge (major bands from eastern PA in this sub-sub-genre: Live, Fuel, Breaking Benjamin, to a lesser extent The Bloodhound Gang and Halestorm, with Ween lurking around to make things interesting)

but I digress

(and this won't be the sort of writing I did for HC76 or other mixtapes, just a note or two about each song and then I'm gone)

Nightlight is the sound of solitude and desperation. Daylight is the sound of awakening and connection, with more than a little new age cheesiness thrown in for good measure.

Nightlight comes out of the Fire Walk With Me theme to Black Lodge, one of many Anthrax songs that could be seen as a bit fanfictiony (I Am The Law, their mid-80s ode to Judge Dredd is probably the most notable), except this can in ways be seen as an extension of the canon---the song was co-written with Angelo Badalamenti, and the tremolo guitar lines were played by Vinnie Bell, who collaborated on the show's soundtrack.

I intentionally attempted to avoid big hit tunes---or, at least, tunes that were big hits in my particular corner of the world---because even then, us youths were busy rejecting as much as we could of popular culture, even as we bought into other aspects of it: choosing B over A when both were owned by the same company, welp. Youths.

You can't get much more anti-commercial than The Melvins and still have rock and roll. Honey Bucket's a real rager, too. If you've never listened to the Houdini LP, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Sugar was a b-side for Tori, but completely emblematic of her work and better than a number of her a-sides. This was music for the dramatic people, whether they were in drama or not.

Do You Like Me is one of those tracks that speaks completely to the teenage mind; it tries to say three different things in the space of a couple minutes and isn't sure if it got any of them out.

As regards rear end in a top hat, nobody heard this song when it came out. Nobody even heard it when Tom Petty covered it. It's dark and weird and tuned down like 2.5 steps. Classic.

Tallahassee is one of the last moments of Earth 1.0. Having invented drone metal, after the Pentastar LP, from which this was a single, the band would vanish until the 2000s, playing an entirely new sort of instrumental swamp music.

And who didn't have a crush on Brian Molko?

Daylight

begins with Go

which is another Twin Peaks thing, sampling Laura Palmer's Theme.

If I wasn't doing the theme, I'd totally have gone with Feeling So Real instead.

then I Feel Better Than James Brown, which is the best song you've never heard. If you don't listen to these tapes, LISTEN TO THAT.

Alec Eiffel is a bit...limp compared to some of Pixies' other singles, but there's something about that sound that kills me.

In the House of Stone and Light is loving hilarious 90s pop-spirituality and if you don't see what's funny about it (everything) I don't know what to tell you.

Storm Hit was a b-side on the The Impression That I Get single, and is an even better tune.

Real Real Real is another dose of early-90s dance-pop hilarity. Jesus Jones is my go-to reference for everything that was goofy about the early 90s.

Rhinoceros is still the best Pumpkins song, I will fite you irl

it is literally a summer sound

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MOD UPDATE:

Byers' poo poo is busted and he can't get to the forums. A shameful internet connection.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

One of the things with the Twin Peaks music was that I wanted the tape to be flippable, that the beginning of sides A and B are interchangeable. Rob Gordon is correct, there are a lot of rules. Rules are made to be broken, though. PMing my song choice.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I did not pick a song where Steve Albini was involved. I totally should have, though. Maybe next game, if there is one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have received my role and am ready to play.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##vote Rurea

are you loving kidding me

Also scum vibes like whoa, so two reasons to plorp. Nice.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asiina posted:

I do think Allen's vote looks bad since he actually tries to weakly justify it and never moved off of it.

Pretty true.

I justify everything I do, though, which is yet another scum move on my part. I was out to dinner. I had no idea that deadline was coming up. (also I was reading my game and cackling when I should have been reading this one more thoroughly before I went to dinner.)

I am also a bad scumhunter, so I'm just left with poking at what sorts of things ring false.

Ernie's case on me is such poo poo, I'm glad to see no one picked it up. This is some you-suck stuff, but man, it feels pretty scummy to see me not turn up in the scumdoc and start to case me based on the reverse-psychology expectation that I should be there.

Taste is rubbing me the wrong way, but it feels like standard Taste to me. That said, I'd vote him.

and...

PMom is rubbing me the wrong way here as well. I'm willing to bank on that Anon-backed claim for the moment, though, it at least looks like the math works out? Sorry.

Anyway. I'm making cupcakes for the potluck at work tomorrow, I'll at least be around for a few batches of those to go in the oven.

(This night-talk thing is interesting. I may have to borrow it for a future game.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, you are misreading.

Basically I'm just chucking darts at the wall, and I always get a bit galled at being jumped on, and in this case, basically as soon as I get home, I see a post from him saying 'oh man allen's probably scum because we're SUPPOSED to think he's town' which I'm then wondering if that's a thing a scum would come up with upon not seeing me show up in their scumdoc.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

holy balls

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Meeeeeee

It's nothing bad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hello!

Yes, I am home from work now.

Yes, you have accurately identified my song and who I targeted, and it is with benign intent and action.

In addition, ##vote CPig because come on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

haha you guys are dumb, i cant be lynched today.

Way to let scum win.

I guarantee you'll be plorped before anyone else dies.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So anyway, for real. Deathproof CPig? Deathproof Miller CPig? I know there's some crazy poo poo going on in this game, but that seems pretty far out there. Can we get some perspectives on this that aren't YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS! from CP?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Would it even be a good idea to uncase that on day two? I know a lot of people have whole suites of powers, but how much of a result do you think you can get right now, which is fairly early on?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, that was dumb.

Who wants to try that again?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also, my mom and stepdad had a weird country phase from the late 80s to the early 00s. I know more about country from that period than I'm entirely comfortable with, because it was always on the car stereo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

If you feel like it would help go for it.

I'll still be deathproof

Let's test this theory, or, if the town doesn't want to, we can test another theory.

We have all night to talk about it.

We have all...

##turn_off_night

...day?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

It wasn't weird. :colbert:

It was weird for them was my point.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HiipFire posted:

hey you do realize that CPig could also just be a deathproof scum right

Or 3P.

I'm not serious about WE MUST PLORP PIG RIGHT NOW, I just felt like being dramatic. I so rarely have anything of import to say.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HiipFire posted:

you better have a cool win con tho

I wish. But no. Just a local townie, trying to help.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Little Mac posted:

What is happening in this game? Why does everyone have extravagant cool powers but me?

Because "nightkill" isn't very flashy?

I dunno.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cocks. I've already been beaten.

A) Acuff, Roy
B) Bators, Stiv
C) Carr, Eric
D) Davis, Miles
E) Ephraim, Edem
F) Fitzgerald, Ella
G) Gainsbourg, Serge
H) Hartman, Dan
I) Ives, Burl
J) Jackson, Milt
K) King, Albert
L) Larson, Nicolette
M) Mercury, Freddy
N) Nilsson, Harry
O) Ohlin, Per Yngve "Dead"
P) Porcaro, Jeff
Q) ---
R) Ronson, Mick
S) Sharrock, Sonny
T) Thunders, Johnny
U) ---
V) Van Zandt, Townes
W) Wells, Mary
X) ---
Y) Yankovic, Frankie
Z) Zappa, Frank

tbf, I was researching by hand.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

And the people on my list are probably cooler than the people on yours.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HiipFire posted:

A) Albert, Carl
B) Beich, Ole
C) Cobain, Kurt
D) Davis, Miles
E) Edmonton, Jerry
F) Fogerty, Tom
G) Garcia, Jerry
H) Hoon, Shannon
I) Ives, Burl
J) Jack, Wolfman
K) Kendricks, Eddie
L) Leckenby, Derek
M) Mercury, Freddie
N) Naumenko, Mike
O) Olivia, Criss
P) Patterson, Roger
Q) Quintanilla-Perez, Selena
R) Ronson, Mick
S) Shannon, Del
T) Thunders, Johnny
U) Ukyo, Kamimura
V) Vaughan, Stevie Ray
W) Wood, Andrew
X) Xenakis, Iannis
Y) Yankovic, Frankie
Z) Zappa, Frank

Get the gently caress out of here.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usR47cq1ByY

As close as Wolfman Jack got to fronting a group.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

your mom's an april fools joke

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

It didn't. Someone had a song from the Spider-man musical or something and they turned off the dark.

I am frowning so loving hard at this.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not sure what the gently caress is up with taste atm.

Anyway, what I want to know is who CPig thinks is scummy. Okay, we get it, you're deathproof or whatever. That's fine. But you're still acting petulant and mega-anti-town. If you want us to think you're not a totally reasonable target, you gotta do something other than just go LA LA LA YOU'RE ALL BAD PLAYERS

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HEY TASTE WHAT THE gently caress IS UP

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can see MMT being a bit disengaged, especially after trying to make good town cases in Piano Men garnered all the votes, so I'm getting a town feel from that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, it's the sort of scumhunting I'm worst at, specifically the sort that needs to read reactions to reactions to reactions to reactions to something entirely baseless. I know there's people who swear by it, but, like, I also know a guy who likes olives on his tacos. It's just not my bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

At this point, I'd be willing to hang one on taste or cpig, I've just got a bit of choice paralysis about it. I certainly can't put a half-vote on each.

Now there's a terrible role idea.

• Locked thread