Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Compendium posted:

For whining unrelated to dresses, wonder why they chose to translate it to "Defenders" instead of "Counter Guardians?"

I would guess because the original Mirror Moon translation of the VN takes extensive liberties, and that's one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

-Troika- posted:

I would guess because the original Mirror Moon translation of the VN takes extensive liberties, and that's one of them.

Mirror Moon didn't translate FSN and iirc the Japanese literally calls them Counter Guardians, as is fairly common with weird Nasu terms.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

Mirror Moon didn't translate FSN and iirc the Japanese literally calls them Counter Guardians, as is fairly common with weird Nasu terms.

Japanese has this weird thing in doofy fantasy stuff where they'll write something half sensible in kanji and then over it they'll write something else entirely in little letters, frequently in nonsensical Engrish. The idea being that it means one but is read as the other or something.

In any event, that's what's behind most of the weird translations of Nasu terms. 宝具, hougu, is pretty much "treasured tools", but has "Noble Phantasm" written over it. 固有結界, koyuu kekai means something like "characteristic barrier" or something, but is written with "Reality Marble". Since most of these pseudo-english names have been around even before anything got translated, they tend to stick, especially since it settles dumb arguments about how to translate them.

In the case of Counter Guardians though, I'm pretty sure they just use the nonsensical Engrish straight up. They're occasionally referred to as "抑止の守護者", which is "Protectors of control/restraint" or something, but mostly it's Counter Guardians, even in Japanese.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was good, Rin's face is still pretty weird though.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Rodyle posted:

mirror moon did translate FSN though? im confused

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So is this purely the UBW route or did they merge some of fate in it. Isn't the original 3x route set up so info from all the routes is needed in order for it to make sense? I still have to watch S1 and figured I'd ask this in advance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes. Not every bit of the three routes is needed for one to make sense, you can tell one as a self-contained story while taking certain liberties.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Working my way through the VN while at work (super busy few weeks so about halfway through S1 of UBW in the VN) and so far it seems like if you do happen to play through each of the routes you'll have a slightly to somewhat more interesting experience if you can keep in mind what exactly is different and helps contrast the routes against one another.

The Saber v. Assassin fight seems more like the Fate route version though tbh, I think if the same fight happens in either of the first two routes they take the more interesting one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

every route works a self-contained story but some characters will be seemingly underutilized if you look at each route separately, and shirou's true character arc, for lack of a better term, exists as the combination of his arcs over all three routes. (He still gets a complete character arc in each route, it's just that said arc is different in each route and kind of combines to make a greater whole.)

basically what the guy above said is right, each route is stand-alone but the full experience is deliberately gained by comparing and contrasting routes

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Saber v. Assassin fight seems more like the Fate route version though tbh, I think if the same fight happens in either of the first two routes they take the more interesting one.

That fight still happened in the second route, it is just we already saw it before, compared to the new scene of shirou being kidnapped

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Stevefin posted:

That fight still happened in the second route, it is just we already saw it before, compared to the new scene of shirou being kidnapped

Right, but Assassin doesn't use Tsubame Gaeshi in that first fight though.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right, but Assassin doesn't use Tsubame Gaeshi in that first fight though.

Except he did, the vn narration even talked about Saber remembering it in their final confrontation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Randomzx posted:

Except he did, the vn narration even talked about Saber remembering it in their final confrontation.

Weird. I don't remember it happening in Seorin's version unless it was off screen so to speak?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Weird. I don't remember it happening in Seorin's version unless it was off screen so to speak?

It happened off screen during their first fight in UBW.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Hommando posted:

It happened off screen during their first fight in UBW.

Yeah, it's off-screen since it does say something like Saber "remembered" it from their first fight. One of those weird things I guess.

And as for "Defender", it's a better translation than using "Counter Guardian". The normal folks who only watched Zero or even the Deen FSN would understand that better.

Incidentally, I was at the Sakuracon premiere where they showed the first three episodes (we get one bonus episode ahead of time!) and I laughed when Gilgamesh got the loudest fangirl cheering. I wonder how they felt after finishing the first three episodes...

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 6, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Probably still fangirls of him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know I am.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

KireixGilgamesh is my OTP now and forever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Saber/Assassin fight was probably skipped in the VN because there was a similar one in Fate which you do see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"drat... a hot young blonde guy has fangirls? Heh, I bet they're gonna change their minds when they figure out he's also a Bad Boy. :smug:"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

KireixGilgamesh is my OTP now and forever.

Gil/Enkidu is superior. :colbert:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

"drat... a hot young blonde guy has fangirls? Heh, I bet they're gonna change their minds when they figure out he's also a Bad Boy. :smug:"

The same folks nearly squealed just as loudly for the cute Ilya was the point. I wasn't trying to be mocking or anything btw.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 6, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This seems like the wrong thread for this discussion.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

There is never a wrong thread for any kind of discussion as long as it isn't about hentai or lolicon poo poo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

littleorv posted:

There is never a wrong thread for any kind of discussion as long as it isn't about hentai or lolicon poo poo

I meant that future events should be shuffled out of the show thread to the general thread.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I meant that future events should be shuffled out of the show thread to the general thread.

Do you mean the Tsubame Gaeshi thing? That does count as future events.

I think I'll go back and spoiler the bit I said since it could be spoilers (for those who haven't watched episode three yet).

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How many episodes are officially out? I only see one on Crunchyroll. (I saw the three-episode premiere at Sakura-Con as well, and want to make sure I don't accidentally spoil anything.)

e: vvv Okay, thanks! I'll avoid talking about how eager I am for episode 4 and how bummed I am that I have to wait three weeks for new content.

blastron fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 6, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just one in the new season, plus the last season

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Probably the best thing ever posted in a TypeMoon thread

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
That is wonderful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Extra gave Archer some ideas. These assless chaps let people see what he wants them to see.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just like the angling on Rin's pose/hand.

BEHOLD!!!!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The more I listen to it, the more the OP song is growing on me. There's a nice send off feeling to it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Another gif from the OP:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Silynt posted:

Archer is Shirou somehow, right? I feel like they're really hitting me over the head with that "twist"

I noticed the connections more with this episode too. Actually, it might be the opening. The twin swords in the last scene seems like good evidence. I don't know how the hell that would work though. It would imply that Shirou becomes a heroic spirit in the future and that the servants pool isn't just a collection of spirits from the past. But then how did Rin get his catalyst?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:iiam:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just love how he hates Archer but gets such a sword boner for his blade choice.

Could be copying Saber's ballin' blade, but NOPE totally copying my hate crush.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Does any of Saber's sparring with Shirou actually pay off? It kind of feels like the situation should be "holy poo poo you're being personally trained by the greatest knight in history, this is totally transformative" but instead Shirou's like "ehhh.... yeah idk, I like Archer's swordsmanship better but thx for the experience points Saber"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

Does any of Saber's sparring with Shirou actually pay off? It kind of feels like the situation should be "holy poo poo you're being personally trained by the greatest knight in history, this is totally transformative" but instead Shirou's like "ehhh.... yeah idk, I like Archer's swordsmanship better but thx for the experience points Saber"
the pay off for that is more in Fate but it's still valuable practice for a real fight even if he doesn't use the exact same style of swordplay as her.

• Locked thread