Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Last month, we discussed whether the new Microsoft Kinect could be used as an NSA spying tool. When it comes to the microphones in Android cell phones and laptop computers, though, surveillance might not be a theoretical question. The Wall Street Journal reports that the FBI can already remotely activate those microphones to record conversations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Blue Train posted:

You've probably never stopped to think about all the funny facial expressions you make when you're busy flinging Angry Birds at Bad Piggies, but if your phone has secretly been turned into a "spy phone," then an attacker could tell you because he or she could snap pictures of you as you play. If you don't play Angry Birds, then don't start feeling smug and secure, because it only took about two weeks for security researchers to write malicious code that can be injected into any Android app on the Google Play store. Although this was originally aimed at Android, don't feel left out, iPhone users, as you too can have your phone turned into a "cyber-surveillance" device.

cool thats about android and about giving an app privileges to do just that

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Get droids you dumb bastards what are you all doing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

According to leaked documents, the NSA claims a 100 percent success rate when it comes to implanting iOS devices with spyware. The documents suggest that the NSA needs physical access to a device to install the spyware—something the agency has achieved by rerouting shipments of devices purchased online—but a remote version of the exploit is also in the works.

do you just not watch the news or what

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

How about that patented Apple feature where police can shut down iPhones in 'sensitive areas'

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Blue Train posted:

According to leaked documents, the NSA claims a 100 percent success rate when it comes to implanting iOS devices with spyware. The documents suggest that the NSA needs physical access to a device to install the spyware—something the agency has achieved by rerouting shipments of devices purchased online—but a remote version of the exploit is also in the works.

do you just not watch the news or what

did you not see the big deal the NSA/FBI made about apple removing the backdoor they used and encrypting the entire device so that no one, not even apple, can access anything on it remotely?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

quote:

FBI Director James B. Comey sharply criticized Apple and Google on Thursday for developing forms of smartphone encryption so secure that law enforcement officials cannot easily gain access to information stored on the devices — even when they have valid search warrants.

quote:

Comey’s remarks followed news last week that Apple’s latest mobile operating system, iOS 8, is so thoroughly encrypted that the company is unable to unlock iPhones or iPads for police. Google, meanwhile, is moving to an automatic form of encryption for its newest version of Android operating system that the company also will not be able to unlock, though it will take longer for that new feature to reach most consumers.

he must be lying to trick us into a sense of complacency

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

did you not see the big deal the NSA/FBI made about apple removing the backdoor they used and encrypting the entire device so that no one, not even apple, can access anything on it remotely?

that's only been in the most recent iteration I believe all this was in 2013 so I guess you are technically correct that the latest device is no longer vulnerable

and for android devices they still don't come encrypted by default except for the n6, and it is hosed up and slow because of it lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

still using a nexus 4 suck it OP

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

5-HT posted:

got an htc one m8 instead of an iphone 5s when my contract was up for renewal .there's nothing good about the m8 outside of the front facing speakers and metal unibody design.

worst decision ever.

yeah the m8 is not very good

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

seems to me that if you wear a tinfoil hat and remove your battery when a cop pulls you over you should actually own an iphone just like i said

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Amroid...LOL

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

holy poo poo Locker Room Zubaz, go outside get a loving life, geez, i have never read such terrible posts before, and ive seen every post I've ever written1!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

is this what yospos is like all the time

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

opus111 posted:

is this what yospos is like all the time

yes, only with more attempts to fellate the corpse of the late steve jobs.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Never buy a device invented by a guy who died from an easily treatable form of cancer because he tried to treat it with crystals and pepper water.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

opus111 posted:

holy poo poo Locker Room Zubaz, go outside get a loving life, geez, i have never read such terrible posts before, and ive seen every post I've ever written1!

i'm sorry :(

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I scoff every time I see an android user unlock their phone and see the disgusting home screen filled with icons out of 1995 and a stupid huge clock with retarded font in the top corner and wonder to myself how people live like that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nuts and Gum posted:

I scoff every time I see an android user unlock their phone and see the disgusting home screen filled with icons out of 1995 and a stupid huge clock with retarded font in the top corner and wonder to myself how people live like that.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Beef Turret posted:

I bought a Nokia 3310, which I plan on using indefinitely, op

StarTAC, op. It's the only phone you'll ever need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
the iphone 6 is the best phone i have ever used

• Locked thread