Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
The Bluebird, formally dubbed Compartment Car by its purchaser, the Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation (BMT), was an advanced design PCC subway and elevated railway car used on the New York City Subway system from 1939 to 1957.

The articulated unit, 80 feet long, 10 feet wide and 12 feet high, consisted of three compartments placed on four trucks, connected by fully enclosed, hinged passageways. The Bluebird was an example of Art Deco industrial design, presenting a clean and mildly streamlined appearance. The Bluebird was designed during the Great Depression as a fast, physically attractive and comfortable mass transit vehicle that would attract passengers, while instituting significant economies in production, operation, and maintenance.

The car's lightweight body and running gear, combined with its short truckbase and segmented body, permitted it to operate on the oldest elevated structures, with their light loading tolerance and sharp curves, as well as in tunnel sections, where policy prohibited the use of the wooden cars typically used on elevated lines.

A single Bluebird unit, numbered 8000, was purchased by the BMT as a prototype for a planned fleet of equipment that could operate universally on both standard subway lines and older elevated lines. The BMT expected the Bluebird to preserve its investment in its elevated railway lines without expensive upgrading for heavier subway equipment, while attracting passengers with its interior comforts. Tests demonstrated that its greatly improved operating parameters could have cut significant time from existing elevated train schedules.

Bluebirds were the first PCC rapid transit cars utilizing the advanced running gear originally created for new-design streetcars. In addition to quick acceleration and braking, use of PCC technology meant that Bluebirds could share a significant parts and maintenance base with the Brooklyn transit company's planned PCC trolley fleet, achieving economies of scale and efficiency.

The Bluebirds were built by Clark Equipment Company of Battle Creek, Michigan, maker of PCC running gear. They were the only rapid transit cars ever built by Clark, and the only passenger rail equipment ever built by the company, other than one PCC streetcar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I hope you planted some false info in there to trap closet autists

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Aralan posted:

Do you think Raymond killed himself when Wapner got replaced

no. he got on the train

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
brutalist architecture is ugly

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Your new avatar is gross, but I still like it. What happened to banana head?

he died of aids

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Everything I know about autists comes from watching movies and also observing posters in games

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bunky posted:

he died of aids

aww. I like him

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
1. They have no concept of what a candy bar costs
2. They love paying money for fake space ships

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Aralan posted:

1. They have no concept of what a candy bar costs
2. They love paying money for fake space ships

3. They have no idea how money works

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Aralan posted:

Everything I know about autists comes from watching movies and also observing posters in games

autistic girls
I believe that somehow we are missing the point that autism may be underdiagnosed in girls. Fact is, there may be more girls with autism than we may think. Autism has different symptoms for girls than boys. The article on autism should reflect that. Angela Maureen (talk) 00:54, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

Per WP:MEDRS we only typically use high quality secondary sources. This is not that good of a source [7] Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 01:20, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
This is a complicated discussion. Will add something with a better source to the epidemiology section
This says "Many studies document the higher prevalence of ASD in boys than in girls. One contributing factor may be an influence of gender on diagnosis. Some studies report more severe social and communication impairment in girls than in boys (Hartley and Sikora, 2009 ), but girls may be more encouraged and trained to behave socially by their environment, possibly leading to some mildly affected girls going unrecognized. Moreover, the gendered social environment is different between the sexes, which may lead to perception of the same social deficit being categorized as shy in girls and unresponsive in boys, contributing to the diagnostic bias towards males ( Goldman, 2013 ). Additionally, the tests used to diagnose an individual may be biased towards the male specific pathophenotype, and may not include the aspects necessary to diagnose a girl with a mild form of ASD. Moreover, because of the awareness of the sex bias in ASD incidence, ASD is interpreted as a male disorder ( Baron-Cohen, 2002 ), making it more likely for clinicians to diagnose boys with the disorder, as they are a risk group, than girls. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24705124
Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 01:28, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
What's wrong with this source? Was it primary reference? Tell me, please. Angela Maureen (talk) 02:16, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

No evidence it is peer reviewed and published by a high impact journal. Not pubmed indexed. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 02:21, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao nice

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Prodigious Savants all share the same characteristics:
Lack of short term memory.
The presence of organic brain disease, brain trauma, or inherited genetic abnormalities.
Extraordinary, 100% recall of anything they have ever seen, heard, smelled, felt or touched in extreme detail.
The ability to reproduce anything they have ever heard, especially music with lyrics.
A near total inability to learn symbolic language. For instance, another language, higher math or science. They don't lack interest, but the capacity for rote memorization and already know the answers to the bigger questions in science intuitively.
Lack of short term memory.
The ability to identify, and, in most cases, fix, virtually any problem they encounter.
Unusual empathy. Since savants see the world from a different perspective, they have extreme empathy towards all living things.
The above section was written by Nathan Solo (Solomianski), prodigious savant

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 27, 2015

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

HEY VAPER posted:

autistic girls
I believe that somehow we are missing the point that autism may be underdiagnosed in girls. Fact is, there may be more girls with autism than we may think. Autism has different symptoms for girls than boys. The article on autism should reflect that. Angela Maureen (talk) 00:54, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

Per WP:MEDRS we only typically use high quality secondary sources. This is not that good of a source [7] Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 01:20, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
This is a complicated discussion. Will add something with a better source to the epidemiology section
This says "Many studies document the higher prevalence of ASD in boys than in girls. One contributing factor may be an influence of gender on diagnosis. Some studies report more severe social and communication impairment in girls than in boys (Hartley and Sikora, 2009 ), but girls may be more encouraged and trained to behave socially by their environment, possibly leading to some mildly affected girls going unrecognized. Moreover, the gendered social environment is different between the sexes, which may lead to perception of the same social deficit being categorized as shy in girls and unresponsive in boys, contributing to the diagnostic bias towards males ( Goldman, 2013 ). Additionally, the tests used to diagnose an individual may be biased towards the male specific pathophenotype, and may not include the aspects necessary to diagnose a girl with a mild form of ASD. Moreover, because of the awareness of the sex bias in ASD incidence, ASD is interpreted as a male disorder ( Baron-Cohen, 2002 ), making it more likely for clinicians to diagnose boys with the disorder, as they are a risk group, than girls. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24705124
Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 01:28, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
What's wrong with this source? Was it primary reference? Tell me, please. Angela Maureen (talk) 02:16, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

No evidence it is peer reviewed and published by a high impact journal. Not pubmed indexed. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 02:21, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
Unreviewed proof positive that mild autism spectrum disorder diagnoses are actually just losers

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm actually not autistic but I am a big, blustery, opinionated rear end in a top hat I know it can be tough to distinguish sometimes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Harime Nui posted:

I'm actually not autistic but I am a big, blustery, opinionated rear end in a top hat I know it can be tough to distinguish sometimes

how do you tell the difference?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this thing isn't autism at all. it's ridiculous idiots unwittingly obfuscating the fact that a single person can only be any good at so many things at once (damaged people perhaps even less so) and completely subscribing to current-day society's insane cultural expectation of everyone being good at everything, which isn't even remotely possible. remember that kids as blank slates are so simple that they've even been used as commodities in the past. the thing they're getting diagnosed with these days isn't autism, it's an absence of culture. culture is defined by physical need and external stimuli. take these away from the child and even the healthiest, least damaged kid appears as if they were completely soulless to the lovely, alarmist parents of today

gently caress these fuckers. gently caress it all. ppiss piss pis pisssssssssss fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

quakster posted:

this thing isn't autism at all. it's ridiculous idiots unwittingly obfuscating the fact that a single person can only be any good at so many things at once (damaged people perhaps even less so) and completely subscribing to current-day society's insane cultural expectation of everyone being good at everything, which isn't even remotely possible. remember that kids as blank slates are so simple that they've even been used as commodities in the past. the thing they're getting diagnosed with these days isn't autism, it's an absence of culture. culture is defined by physical need and external stimuli. take these away from the child and even the healthiest, least damaged kid appears as if they were completely soulless to the lovely, alarmist parents of today

gently caress these fuckers. gently caress it all. ppiss piss pis pisssssssssss fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart

Same

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Sorry, I didn't really read your post I stopped at unwittingly obfuscated

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aralan posted:

Sorry, I didn't really read your post I stopped at unwittingly obfuscated
made the right call, imo

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

quakster posted:

Listen to me iphone warriors in worldwide poverty-striken hermitages. believe the picture and see the proof. Two plus four equals six, six equals seven, seven equals eight equals ending the eternal control of hyperfucker sissyboy prostate gods and latino cream king slut warriors forever. Look at the numbers flying into your eyeballs and ingest them through the intestines and out the sphincter of eternity into your brainwaves reverberating worldwide into 4 billion people globe-wide into purestrain gold poverty forever culminating in the freemarket system equals eternal peace and liberty for all souls in the central chokehold of Steely Dan's enormous manpussy clitoris all microblogged in the ever-watching eyesight earzones of tv iphone midicasts living surrounded by the lie of cigarette cash truth youth exocriminals written onto the parchment of our mindsoul's body conciousness... Computerized sex lords by the enron oil international playboy vicelord's committee of local bonerlords, computerized sex lords triumph endlessly in the hills of your dreams death life freemarket and damnation running throughout your veins into the deadly living world sound-sight robot conspiracy of pyramid scheme ultimate hellworld deathcrime. Rip babies from the arms of mothers while nursing the erections of ultimate hellworld super king cock socks rear end in a top hat feeding tubes deliver perfect poison intravenously while paid spokesmen belch rhyming sales

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how do you tell the difference?

I know when to abandon threads!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

so is it just walls of rambling text with point or purpose? is that how you spot an autist? educate me on autism goons, since you guys seem to be the experts

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Harime Nui posted:

I know when to abandon threads!

Ok. Calm down.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Ok. Calm down.

That's a jocular exclamation! Jocular! You jackass!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Harime Nui posted:

That's a jocular exclamation! Jocular! You jackass!

just be cool, man. Be cool!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Don't try to make me sound angry! I am on complete control. I can go do something else if I want so if I'm still talking I'm clearly not angry!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

toggle posted:

so is it just walls of rambling text with point or purpose? is that how you spot an autist? educate me on autism goons, since you guys seem to be the experts
a person is exactly like cultural lego. here is what ends up getting diagnosed as autism these days:

whereas a grown-up might resemble one of these:

a cop

a train enthusiast

a hipster

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Harime Nui posted:

Don't try to make me sound angry! I am on complete control. I can go do something else if I want so if I'm still talking I'm clearly not angry!

whatever you say, man. It's all good. Right?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

an adult fan of lego

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
i stare at my fingertips all day and sometimes i eat dirt

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
my parents know I'll live in a horrible group home as soon as they die and the worry shows on their faces like leaden masks

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

whatever you say, man. It's all good. Right?

:rant:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
my mom had me when she was 42 and now she's 63 with one foot in the grave

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

quakster posted:

an adult fan of lego

trying to little

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

my parents know I'll live in a horrible group home as soon as they die and the worry shows on their faces like leaden masks

trying to hard

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
have fun with that doctorate mom I'll just be over here eating dirt

naem
May 29, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
grumpy boffins

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
One time I spilled a bunch of toothpicks, and I was compelled to count them.

There were five. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bobert Bobertson posted:

don't irl autists like have an inability to understand irony :confused:

NO THAT'S COMPLETELY UNTRUE.

• Locked thread