Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

the price of the membership is paid for by what i save on gas so now i buy bulk brie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
^ yeah, bulk good cheese owns bones

what I really go for are the appliances/electronics. you save tons usually being able to get the next tier thing for an equal price, the selection is more limited but has a good enough variety/testing that you get what you need and want if you're not a huge dumb baby and hung up on specific brands, and the warranty is literally the best thing that borderlines on unfair to Costco

if you buy something like a tv/laptop/vacuum cleaner once a year you've basically made up the membership difference and then can shove your face full of $1.50 hot dogs the rest of the time

also bulk socks/undewear

edit: the fat slogs slogging up the aisles can lose mobility under their own weight and die a slow death. going on saturdays is the loving worst thing ever if you're a seek and destroy type shopper

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 27, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

They always seem to have good prices on seasonal poo poo like snowblowers and grills too. I'm also pretty sure they have a badass pre-made mac & cheese that you just put in the oven for a while. My crappy town doesn't have one though. :smith:

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
My best Costco experience was when this little black kid was selling free samples of chocolates. He basically recreated the scene from When Harry Met Sally.

"Come try my chocolate balls. oooooohhhh! They're soooo good yeahhhh. Put them in your mouth YES YES!"

The whole isle way dying laughing. This went on for like 10 minutes till some dickhole manager made him do something else. That kid sold a poo poo of of chocolates though

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hey, hey

you guys see that movie idiocracy?

pretty wild, heh....

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I finally went to a Costco last weekend.

It was a little underwhelming. Too crowded with morbidly obese people. Good prices on some gourmet stuff like a big wheel of brie and tubs of hummus for cheap. I tried finding some more pants for me, but most of what they had left were size 46+

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
costco owns except all the indians and asians go shop there all at once and its impossible to even move in there.

also protip: the samples are infinite :getin:

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
they have pretty good deals on poo poo like giftcards/movie tickets/dinner voucher thingies a lot of the time, every time me and my pal who i'm practically gay w/ go and see a movie we stop there first since we end up saving like 4bux on tickets each and it's on the way anyhow (and usually it's a way to pregame cheap food because i'm simultaneously fat and poor)

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Business Gorillas posted:

hey, hey

you guys see that movie idiocracy?

pretty wild, heh....

Mike Judge's anti-weed campaign, the motion picture.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

They are building a Costco 2 minutes from my house and I can't decide if I am excited about having a conveniently located Costco or terrified of the impending traffic increase

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I don't know about all you foreigners but in AMERICA Costco is great for meats. You can get super cheap prime or choice beef there that I don't ever see beaten elsewhere.

Also I am in the Boston area and the store is always filled with Chinese people not fat people.

EDIT: Wild Sockeye Salmon was so loving cheap this year also. I think it was down to around 8 a lb at my store.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Mons Hubris posted:

They are building a Costco 2 minutes from my house and I can't decide if I am excited about having a conveniently located Costco or terrified of the impending traffic increase

lmao if you still drive in TYOOL 2015

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Prude posted:

lmao if you still drive in TYOOL 2015

lmao if you dont actually

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

ButteCysts posted:

lmao if you dont actually

Women love it when you pick them up on a bicycle for a date.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Demonachizer posted:

Women love it when you pick them up on a bicycle for a date.

i find men are much more accommodating of the classic bike pickup

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've been to a BJ's but not a Costco

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sams > Costco

Feed the Walton beast

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've been to a BJ's but not a Costco

I went to a BJ's once. I am not a huge fan of false advertising. It is like if you couldn't get sunglasses at sunglasses hut.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
like this.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Demonachizer posted:

I went to a BJ's once. I am not a huge fan of false advertising. It is like if you couldn't get sunglasses at sunglasses hut.

They are sold behind the store, friend

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
What does a costco membership cost these days ('Murica)? I buy stuff there sometimes but I always go with someone else and mooch off of their membership. I am a drain on society.

Rallos fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 27, 2015

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rallos posted:

What does a costco membership cost these days? I buy stuff there sometimes but I always go with someone else and mooch off of their membership. I am a drain on society.

I think it's $50-60. You get a free pack of toilet paper, a rotisserie chicken, giant apple pie, and a tote bag, plus a coupon book.

God bless America.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Egbert Souse posted:

I think it's $50-60. You get a free pack of toilet paper, a rotisserie chicken, giant apple pie, and a tote bag, plus a coupon book.

God bless America.

Is that monthly or yearly? I am clueless.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Rallos posted:

Pretty sure that's yearly but then again I was going to guess 20.

Everyone I know who goes piggybacks off another guy's card. For all I know there's like one guy with a membership to Costco. I recommend befriending him. He's from Ghana and the only word of English he knows is "OKAY."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rallos posted:

Yearly.

One other sad sight was an entire aisle for diabetes supplies and another for heartburn/indigestion.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
55 a year for regular and 110 for executive. Executive gives 2% cash back and easily pays for the 55 dollar difference for me. It actually pays for the entire membership and gives me some cash in pocket.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Demonachizer posted:

55 a year for regular and 110 for executive. Executive gives 2% cash back and easily pays for the 55 dollar difference for me. It actually pays for the entire membership and gives me some cash in pocket.

I heard once that Costco doesn't treat their employees like they work at Walmart and I wondered "how can that be."

wonder no more.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Demonachizer posted:

I might actually have to get my own membership one of these days. I'd probably spend a lot more there if I had my own membership so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or if I'd just end up buying a ton more dumb poo poo because "hurr durr its cheaper in bulk"

I heard they actually pay their employees pretty well. I'm not sure how much, but it's something that I've heard more than a few times.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MassaShowtime posted:

the price of the membership is paid for by what i save on gas so now i buy bulk brie

Came to post this, the gas alone pays for the membership and then some. I just go on the weekends and eat all the samples and then maybe buy some almonds or yogurt or something.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
lots of gawking asians and old people

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Demonachizer posted:

Executive gets you a free AMEX card which means you can use a credit card in Costco and pocket an extra 1%

Liquor is cheaper than what you get at the grocery store or BevMo. Especially if you just get the Kirkland brand

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 27, 2015

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Keep in mind if you get a membership and don't like it, you can just march up to the Membership desk and ask for a refund.

Giant loving rotisserie chickens for $5 are awesome. Their bakery's pretty loving great too. If you gotta bring some breakfast for work or whatnot, you can get a dozen giant-rear end muffins for $7 or bagels for $6.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrPossum posted:

then can shove your face full of $1.50 hot dogs the rest of the time

don't forget you get a drink with that $1.50 too

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's cheaper per unit but you'll also spend 3 times as much as you would at any other store as a result OP

THIS IS A GOOd OBSERVATION HOWEVER PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT SOME ITEMS LIKE TP, PAPER TOWELS, AND FOOD STUFFS THAT LAST ARE WORTH BUYING IN BULK. THAT MAKES IT WORTH WHILE.

SOME KIRKLAND BRANDED ITEMS ARE ACTUALLY VERY GOOD

GO TO COSTCO OP

DEPENDING ON YOUR REGION I WOULD LIMIT YOUR VISITS TO MIDDAY HOURS THOUGH AND STRICTLY AVOID WEEKENDS

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
make sure you go on like sunday afternoon so you get the true costco experience

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can get some decent clothing for cheap too...you know...if you are a cargo short wearing goon like me

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

WhyteRyce posted:

You can get some decent clothing for cheap too...you know...if you are a cargo short wearing goon like me

decent clothes = poor fitting wrangler dad jeans, saggy off brand polo shirts, and cargo shorts

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
well they got decent work pants, undershirts, underwear, socks, and... well thats it. its not a clothes store

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

well they got decent work pants, undershirts, underwear, socks, and... well thats it. its not a clothes store

Real talk I buy those $15 Court Classics like I'm a poor person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Infidel Castro posted:

Keep in mind if you get a membership and don't like it, you can just march up to the Membership desk and ask for a refund.

oh really? defs trying it out then

• Locked thread