Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Hmmm a race's mothership came into my system and started capping a planet. I put 3 fleets on top of it and shot it for half and hour while it sat there. Then my flagships blew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

BlondRobin posted:

Question, how micro/detail focused is this? I haven't had a lot of love for the Space 4X Genre, as it were, for a while because it tends to boil down to an extreme level of possible customization. I know a lot of people like this! That's cool! But I'm not a fan, especially when it feels like 'build the mining things on the mining planet. hard decision' as it often does. To give some comparison, I really liked Sword of the Stars (1, of course) because it abstracted a lot of that and made for focus on more interesting elements, rather than the individual structures on each of 20 planets; basically, the game flowed really well. Is this game more about the aforementioned kind of hard-core micro or does it try to keep turns flowing?

EDIT: to clarify, it doesn't have to be AS abstracted as SotS; I also liked Endless Space, at least until it became clear it was a mess in other ways.

Hey BR!

I'd say it's on the macro end of the scale. The resource and trade system means that you'll seldom have more than a handful of key planets no matter how large your empire gets; at the start it'll be your level 1 homeworld, once you have a few systems you might start concentrating on a level 2, by the time you've set up a decent empire you might have a few level 3s, and even a large empire will probably be centered around one or two level 4-5s. Most planets I honestly never even open the planet screen of.

Or just play Star Child races like me and ignore planets completely. The opposite end of the scale would be mechanoid races, who need to build their population but get passive labor generation on all inhabited planets, so tend to spread out their production more than others.

Shadowlz posted:

Hmmm a race's mothership came into my system and started capping a planet. I put 3 fleets on top of it and shot it for half and hour while it sat there. Then my flagships blew up.

The default star child mothership is hilariously tanky, but its weapons wont fire unless they have a friendly planet in the system. So I'm guessing what happened is it finished capping.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 28, 2015

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Bremen posted:

Hey BR!

I'd say it's on the macro end of the scale. The resource and trade system means that you'll seldom have more than a handful of key planets no matter how large your empire gets; at the start it'll be your level 1 homeworld, once you have a few systems you might start concentrating on a level 2, by the time you've set up a decent empire you might have a few level 3s, and even a large empire will probably be centered around one or two level 4-5s. Most planets I honestly never even open the planet screen of.

Or just play Star Child races like me and ignore planets completely. The opposite end of the scale would be mechanoid races, who need to build their population but get passive labor generation on all inhabited planets, so tend to spread out their production more than others.

Hi! :)

I guess I'll give it a shot. Some of the races sound fun and I'm quite interested in a game where the races actually change up the basis of the game- that's one of the things I really liked about both the games I mentioned! Thanks for the feedback.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

BlondRobin posted:

Question, how micro/detail focused is this [...]

Shot you a little present via PM. I think you'll like it from what you're writing here. :)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Do the galaxy sized space ships make a come back?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
They're crazy expensive. It's unlikely that you'll be able to source the money to build them.

But the engine doesn't stop you from building them - only your access to resources. If you want to convert the whole galaxy into money resources after you conquer it to build an enormous ship whose construction is furnished through the combined output of hundreds of worlds artificial and natural and created through energy and expendable construction materials - you can do so. The Revenant, which is "only the size of a small star" is itself very difficult to replicate in the base game in all but the largest of galaxies.

So yes, you can make them but it is much, much harder to do so. In SR1 it was a project of patience. In SR2 it is an epic project which requires a similarly epic journey to obtain.

Of course if you just want to go hog-wild, the Design Sandbox is more than willing to accommodate even the most insane of requests. (Well until you make a ship so big that it can't even fit in the sandbox but hey - everything's got an upper practical limit)

... or you can just use the command console and cheat it into existence. :lol:

Firgof fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 28, 2015

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
I remember buying the first one and playing the hell out of it. I'm glad you guys are still around. I'll go buy it in the morning.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How updated of an ATI driver do I need to install for this? The last couple "stable" drivers that got released haven't worked out too well with my card.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I bought SR1, but couldn't really get into it. Despite that, I was so impressed with what they did I'll be taking the plunge on SR2. Especially since they seem to have addressed most of what turned me off the original game.

Also, you are doing God's work in turning down the micro in a space 4x. Having to administer the number of toilet paper rolls on every drat planet in the galaxy is one sure way to kill any enjoyment in a game. Take notes, other indie devs!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I have a question about your poo poo designer. When you setup the layout of your ship, is it defined by the ship model you're using? Will the ship's model reflect what you have in your design (Or is the model just static). I always find making ships to be kind of boring when they don't really look like what you've designed. I realize that poo poo is hard to do, I'm just wondering.

Haha drat sorry! I did not mean that bolded part in any way, I meant to say ship designer, I somehow typed that in while I was making this post. I am genuinely interested. I realize that that last post made me look like an rear end in a top hat by accident so I apologize.

**Annnd I just realized you answered that question anyway. And that's a cool way of doing it, thanks!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Haha drat sorry! I did not mean that bolded part in any way, I meant to say ship designer, I somehow typed that in while I was making this post. I am genuinely interested. I realize that that last post made me look like an rear end in a top hat by accident so I apologize.

**Annnd I just realized you answered that question anyway. And that's a cool way of doing it, thanks!

Don't worry, I think everyone realized it was a typo, it was just too funny not to comment on :p

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Quick thoughts, the spin speed of the planet background on planet manager makes me feel nauseous. It spins way too fast! I know it changes with game speed but at 1x I find it rough. The research screen is also not very readable compared to Endless Space or Beyond Earth. It's not horrible but initially feels a screen of icons without clear connections, starting points and what you have researched. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

At last, an early access game that finally came out! This was pretty fun a few months ago, I'll have to give it another go now that it's actually out out.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm sure I've managed to gloss over this somehow, but are there any automation/templating systems for Ship/Planet design and that like? I generally really hate doing unit design in general in 4X games so having options to work around that are always nice.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm sure I've managed to gloss over this somehow, but are there any automation/templating systems for Ship/Planet design and that like? I generally really hate doing unit design in general in 4X games so having options to work around that are always nice.

There's defaults, and it's hooked to Steam Workshop so you can download other people's designs.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
Is there an updated wiki somewhere?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

Is there an updated wiki somewhere?

If you click the community tab ingame it brings up the wiki, among other things.

You can get it out of game here: http://wiki.starruler2.com/Main_Page

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Unfortunately it's pretty bare really. I don't know what Blind Mind plans to do with it, but it needs a lot more information.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

Unfortunately it's pretty bare really. I don't know what Blind Mind plans to do with it, but it needs a lot more information.

Update it! We just haven't gotten around to it yet.

quote:

but are there any automation/templating systems for Ship/Planet design and that like?
Yep. You can use the templates provided with the game or you can just mash the 'generate random design' button until you get something about like what you'd want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also save your designs and just load them up when you start a new game, which is what I do.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Could you go into more detail how diplomacy works?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That sound really great guys, exactly what I was hoping. I wish so many good games didn't all decide to come out this month!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zombie #246 posted:

Could you go into more detail how diplomacy works?

The diplomacy system is quite interesting. Your planets generate influence which basically becomes a diplomatic currency, which you use to buy and play cards.

Cards are bought from the card "stack"; every 25ish seconds or so the first card in the stack is removed and a new card is added at the end, then every card moves forward one. The closer a card is to the beginning of the stack the cheaper it is. So you can wait to get a card cheaper, but someone else can buy it first. They mostly cost influence, though there's one, Favors, that costs money and gives you a random card.

The cards are quite varied. Some are just straight up bonuses to your empire; profiteering gives you some immediate money, and cultivation can be played on one of your worlds to give it a free food resource (very nice). Others are diplomatic actions you can attempt; Annex Planet or Annex System try to take someone's planets without starting a war, for instance, or Establish Senate Seat tries to make one of your worlds the location of the meetings, giving you more influence and diplomatic advantages. When these are played it starts a diplomatic "battle" where all players can play cards in support or opposition.

The third type of cards are the ones that are played in the battles. Negotiate cards add straight up support or opposition to a proposal, for instance; there are others. Attach Rider means that if a proposal passes you gain a leverage card against the race that started it; energy clash is like negotiate but costs energy instead of influence to play, Ancient Knowledge adds a whole lot of support or opposition but gives every other race a card, etc. While the proposal either has more support or opposition it starts moving towards passing or failing.

There's also more standard diplomacy stuff; you can offer treaties (I haven't really messed with it, but the AI keeps offering me "share vision" treaties) or declare war without cards, for instance.

Edit: Oh, nearly forgot, there's a fourth kind of cards called Zeitgeist (which I fully admit I had to look up). When one comes up in the stack it starts an automatic diplomatic battle with galaxy wide effects; the race that supports or opposes it the most gets special bonuses. So for example if Zeitgeist: Progress comes up, if it passes it converts all energy generation to research for a few minutes; if it passes and you had the most support, you get a load of free research, and if it fails and you had the most opposition you get a load of free energy. Or something like that.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 28, 2015

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

One question about pressure and pressure capacity and suchlike:

Say I have a planet with medicine on or something. If export the medicine to another planet, does that planet gain that resources pressure?

And then does this continue with a long chain of resources, say if I export a lvl1 resource to a lvl2 planet, would the lvl2 planet export the pressure from the lvl1 when it exports it's resource?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

One question about pressure and pressure capacity and suchlike:

Say I have a planet with medicine on or something. If export the medicine to another planet, does that planet gain that resources pressure?

And then does this continue with a long chain of resources, say if I export a lvl1 resource to a lvl2 planet, would the lvl2 planet export the pressure from the lvl1 when it exports it's resource?

Exports do export pressure, but only for one step.

So, you export a level 1 resource to a level 2 planet to get access to its level 2 resource, then export the level 2 resource to get a planet to level 3.

However, the level 2 planet keeps the pressure from the level 1 resource, because it isn't exporting that, only its level 2 resource.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Just adding my praise to the pile. I spent quite a bit of time feeling it out last night and I'm enjoying it a lot, really impressive. In particular the idea of a budget for a given period of time instead of being able to hoard cash is brilliant and should become a standard feature of empire builders of all kinds. I hope there's more coming by expansions or DLC? Congrats to you and your team, hope you make a bundle!

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Hey, so this game is pretty okay.

I'm a big fan of the pressure system and letting that do your infrastructure for you- you can still customize it by choosing what resources/pressures go where, and it's clear that there's benefit do doing so (like the resource that makes labor points count as defense points), but it's very smooth. In general setting up resource chains can be somewhat intricate, but it's smooth and fun to do, I really like it. I haven't figured out how to make ships that are good yet, but in general the interface is nice- I like the way that you 'paint' your ship's subsystems, and it makes everything make sense (and quite easy to figure out at a glance.)

Diplomacy is p. fun- actual diplomacy between races seems a bit bare-bones, but I also had a small galaxy with just two other races, which was quickly reduced to one after the person in third place decided to pick a fight with me shortly after we met. However, the 'senate' as it were got a lot of use in my most recent game, including some very heated attempts to push bills through, like trying to take advantage of a Defense zeitgeist when I got war declared on me and having to engage in influence yelling with the Hoonans.

Military command is simple, but the FTL system makes a lot of neat plays possible, and I was super appreciative of the fact that I'd decided on a whim to level the FTL crystals resource planet- there's something to be said for being able to rally your entire fleet nearly instantly to any fight the enemy picks. Actual command is 'go fight that thing,' but a lot of it seems to be how you set up your fleet, giving different parts of the support fleet different AI packages etc. and positioning your fleets so you don't get picked off independently, which is pretty interesting.

In general the game feels streamlined, but not to the point of dullness- all the decisions you make are important, instead. I like the variety and importance of the resources. I like the movement and direction of fleets (and the idea of master ship with a fleet, instead of a million units to move.) I'm pretty happy with this! Anyone on the sidelines should definitely give it a shot. It does not play like MoO or anything though if that's what you were hoping for.

For me, that's a good thing! A very good thing.

Now, with all those good things out of the way, since there's a member of the dev team in the thread, I had a couple comments/questions:

1: It's crashed a few times. It seems to autosave... aggressively, to say the least, so it isn't a problem, but does it produce an error log or something I could send in?

2: Waging war seems a little overly simple for all the other politicking and such. Given the nature of resources, I'd like to see something like border skirmishes- when you go to War-War, most people seem unwilling to yield easily. It'd be nice to trade a planet or two and sign for peace- especially with the way the resources work. Maybe that's in the game- admittedly my wars to date haven't even tried to be like that.

3: On that note, going to full war with intent to win the game against an enormous empire can be an... extremely painful process. There doesn't seem to be a way to 'hold' a planet without just taking it over, which means you disassemble their resource chains often in an extremely un-useful manner. This has two side effects; if you win, you have a bunch of planets you might not need and your new vassal definitely needed, and now they're probably useless to you because their economy is a disaster. (I saw this myself- it took many, many budget cycles before my new vassals were able to establish even one fleet.) Two, disassembling a huge empire essentially has to be done all at once and prepared for in advance because you'll end up with a billion useless planets that you have to pay for- and often it'll be hard or impossible to assemble a resource chain without doing weird deep-strikes. This may be intentional, but it makes big empires disproportionately a PITR to handle. The Hoonans in my game have huge numbers, but almost no ships... however, my budget is a disaster so I'm basically unable to do anything but shuffle ships around and slowly conquer worlds because I can't build anything new. I know this is true for them as they can't seem to build any new fleets, either. I could abandon the planets, but...

4: please, please, please, please, please make some kind of ban on colonizing new worlds in territory held by people you are at war with. I cannot seriously believe any empire anywhere could convince a billion civilians to load up and decide to live behind enemy lines, and it is incredibly frustrating to watch the AI decide that planet in one of my systems way behind the line of conflict is definitely the planet they want to live on- and now I have to send a fleet back to deal with it, wasting my time and losing more money holding a planet I had no use for just so they can't take it again and make me play this irritating game of Whack-A-Mole. It hasn't even created interesting openings where one of my fleets is occupied, either; it usually just wastes time. Financially it's a wash, as they have to pay to colonize it and I have to pay to prevent them from doing it again.

Aside from those irritants, I'm having a ton of fun. Get a copy!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

BlondRobin posted:

4: please, please, please, please, please make some kind of ban on colonizing new worlds in territory held by people you are at war with. I cannot seriously believe any empire anywhere could convince a billion civilians to load up and decide to live behind enemy lines, and it is incredibly frustrating to watch the AI decide that planet in one of my systems way behind the line of conflict is definitely the planet they want to live on- and now I have to send a fleet back to deal with it, wasting my time and losing more money holding a planet I had no use for just so they can't take it again and make me play this irritating game of Whack-A-Mole. It hasn't even created interesting openings where one of my fleets is occupied, either; it usually just wastes time. Financially it's a wash, as they have to pay to colonize it and I have to pay to prevent them from doing it again.

Aside from those irritants, I'm having a ton of fun. Get a copy!

This makes me think of the Wildcat colonists in John Scalzi's Old Man's War series.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Pro gate strat: Set up a trade alliance with someone then colonize a useless world in their system. Build a factory or two on the planet just to get some labor moving then build a gate, make sure you already have a gate at your homeworld. Now build a commerce station at your new world. When it's finished, build a commerce station on every system of your allies and continue to spread until every system of their has at least one commerce station.

Sit back and watch the spacebux roll in.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
It'd be nice if other empires couldn't build outposts in systems where you have outposts, especially if you're at war. Just had a game where the empire I was at war with would continually build outposts in my systems over and over again no matter how many times I destroyed them. It was also annoying how my system defenses would just let this happen if the outpost was out of immediate fire range. The systems had outposts full of support and planets full of support but they'd all sit there doing nothing.

Is there some option to have system defense be more proactive? If not, it would be nice if there was. My defenses consisting of mobile support ships shouldn't just sit there and watch the enemy we're at war with build an outpost that's a millimeter outside their firing range. This leads to a really annoying game of whack-a-mole, especially on higher difficulties where AI are allowed to cheat so them losing ~300K per mole whacked means nothing to them.

BlondRobin posted:

Agreed. However, you can prevent other races from colonizing systems by building an outpost there. Once the outpost has been completed and has been in place for 2 minutes (IIRC) then no other races can colonize that system without taking out the outpost first.

However, outposts are pretty weak and unless I missed something you can't design your own. I'd like to have the ability to design my own outposts. Perhaps add an outpost hull that doesn't allow engines and has a fixed upkeep cost of 10% of the build cost. Might also be nice if there was a component that added to the defense building output of the outpost. Either that or make it a fixed amount based on the outposts scale.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
423MB download. Nice.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I read "blow up black hole's" and devoted an entire ephemeral civilizations existence to the cause of celestial destruction.

I have made a terrible mistake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The whole game (and genre, honestly) has a lot of difficulty with the notion of territory control. It's sort of a thing with space games where realistically, you can't build a wall around your bit of the galaxy.

On the other hand, it works much better as a game if you can have something like a front line. SR2 is better than 1 in that regard due to trade lanes but it still suffers rather with colonisation and station building.

It would be nice if there were diplomatic options to prevent or eject civilisations from colonising/building in your systems, as well as perhaps some way to direct your garrison fleets in-system to get them to trash planets and stations without needing a flagship present.

In some respects I think SR1 did it better where weapons fire can depopulate worlds, but you can build stuff on them to prevent that. Then you'd be able to deter colonisation just by having a missile silo in system which can nuke other worlds.

RandomBlue posted:

Agreed. However, you can prevent other races from colonizing systems by building an outpost there. Once the outpost has been completed and has been in place for 2 minutes (IIRC) then no other races can colonize that system without taking out the outpost first.

Not, I think, strictly true. It prevents your planets from being captured, but does not prevent colonisation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 29, 2015

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The whole game (and genre, honestly) has a lot of difficulty with the notion of territory control. It's sort of a thing with space games where realistically, you can't build a wall around your bit of the galaxy.

Realistically, I can't build a wall in space. In practice, however, only the wildest of tyrannical dictatorships would be able to load up literally a billion people and send them to screaming death at will- which is exactly what will happen when they arrive in my space and I don't want them there. If you don't want to just say 'the people aren't stupid enough to fly there,' I'd settle for stacking penalties to future colonization efforts for every time you lose a colony shortly after it's established (and it was in enemy space) or get all your colony ships killed; something like that. If you're going to send fifteen billion people on an insane mission, you'd assume after the first few billion are never heard from again people are going to be non-plussed about this and it'll take more money to coerce them (by force of arms or by propaganda) to do it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

BlondRobin posted:

Realistically, I can't build a wall in space. In practice, however, only the wildest of tyrannical dictatorships would be able to load up literally a billion people and send them to screaming death at will- which is exactly what will happen when they arrive in my space and I don't want them there. If you don't want to just say 'the people aren't stupid enough to fly there,' I'd settle for stacking penalties to future colonization efforts for every time you lose a colony shortly after it's established (and it was in enemy space) or get all your colony ships killed; something like that. If you're going to send fifteen billion people on an insane mission, you'd assume after the first few billion are never heard from again people are going to be non-plussed about this and it'll take more money to coerce them (by force of arms or by propaganda) to do it.

Well, Colonizers have maintenance the whole time they're travelling, not to mention the cost of losing a billion population. I dunno how much the AI plays the resource game or if it just cheats, but certainly, having to pay colonizer maintenance the whole way out just for it to be popped is kinda its own punishment.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I think a stacking "fear of colonization" penalty would be a pretty neat mechanic in general. It increases any time you lose a colony (for whatever reason) and makes it more expensive/time-consuming to muster up enough people for the next colony. It would naturally decay over time as people don't get eaten by space monsters or nuked from orbit or what have you.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Conot posted:

Well, Colonizers have maintenance the whole time they're travelling, not to mention the cost of losing a billion population. I dunno how much the AI plays the resource game or if it just cheats, but certainly, having to pay colonizer maintenance the whole way out just for it to be popped is kinda its own punishment.

The AI seems to play the resource game and cheat very little. I've watched one go into debt repeatedly while trying to kill one stupidly defended system.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The AI seems to play the resource game and cheat very little. I've watched one go into debt repeatedly while trying to kill one stupidly defended system.

Yep. That's because the AI doesn't get any advantages or special considerations on not-Savage difficulty. It has to scout, think about its resources, order exports/imports, build buildings, et cetera. We wanted it to be for all intents and purposes playing the exact same game the player was.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I am loving this game so far. Biggest concern I have though is the research screen. It is a major improvement over the first games but seems so cluttered and obtuse. Alot of things just seem placed wily nilly and theres no easily viewed way to move forward or start with. I might not be viewing it the right way but it just seems to cluttered to easily understand compared to other games where its easy to build to where you want like endless space or SOTS 1.

Do have to say that the ship design is much better the Star ruler 1 to me. seems a lot simpler to make a ship the way you want and the hex system to build more powerful weapons and system is very unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Oh wow, I should have guessed goons were involved in this.

I stumbled on this randomly in the Steam store today and picked it up on a whim. It's really excellent so far, good job Firgof. I'm having a blast with it.

• Locked thread