Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Ships have a universal collision sphere amongst all ship types, adjusted to the size of the ship they contain. What we do is we get the direction of the impact, put that on the hex grid, and select a line which proceeds through the ship on that angle. For as long as damage remains on the impacting bullet/missile/beam the damage will continue on that line until it exits the ship - except in the case of torpedoes who will pick an adjacent line at the same angle and continue until they run out of damage or the ship is entirely destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Firgof posted:

Ships have a universal collision sphere amongst all ship types, adjusted to the size of the ship they contain. What we do is we get the direction of the impact, put that on the hex grid, and select a line which proceeds through the ship on that angle. For as long as damage remains on the impacting bullet/missile/beam the damage will continue on that line until it exits the ship - except in the case of torpedoes who will pick an adjacent line at the same angle and continue until they run out of damage or the ship is entirely destroyed.

Now I'm tempted to try designing a size 1 support ship that's just a 1 hex wide vertical stick, to see if I could get all weapon impacts to destroy 1 hex and then pass through the ship.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Bremen posted:

Now I'm tempted to try designing a size 1 support ship that's just a 1 hex wide vertical stick, to see if I could get all weapon impacts to destroy 1 hex and then pass through the ship.

Until you get shot from the front...

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Firgof posted:

So this means if put a layer of reactive armor on top of plate armor then the damage from a missile will get reduced through the reactive then hit the plate with reduced force, stopping it?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So how do you export labor?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Agean90 posted:

So this means if put a layer of reactive armor on top of plate armor then the damage from a missile will get reduced through the reactive then hit the plate with reduced force, stopping it?

This is exactly what happens and is why my layered armor designs survive against ships mich larger than they are.

Stevefin posted:

So how do you export labor?

You can only export it to a shipyard to help build giant ships.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you want shields right away the theocratic option gives you them, and lets you research off that node. It can be pretty strong, but they have a hard time being able to use level 3 resources from what I can tell. It is hard to support enough alter action in addition to resources for other planets.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You can only export it to a shipyard to help build giant ships.

Yeah but how?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
LMB planet with Labor, RMB shipyard -> Export Labor to Shipyard.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Firgof posted:

LMB planet with Labor, RMB shipyard -> Export Labor to Shipyard.

Thanks, Another question, Is the only way to gain research points is to just spam research centers on your more developed planets? In my current game I recently got a vision pack and I am noticing most of those that I can see are already flying around with 500+ hull with shields. While me and this AI has been having the strangest cold-ish war ever since me and him went head to head in the diplomacy card game, who appears to have less research tech than me

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Stevefin posted:

Thanks, Another question, Is the only way to gain research points is to just spam research centers on your more developed planets? In my current game I recently got a vision pack and I am noticing most of those that I can see are already flying around with 500+ hull with shields. While me and this AI has been having the strangest cold-ish war ever since me and him went head to head in the diplomacy card game, who appears to have less research tech than me

Resources can also give you research.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
And there's also a Zeitgeist that gives research. And I think the Research Center Diplomacy Card does too?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Stevefin posted:

The shields might be a side effect of a Devout races as well. They start out with religion fueled shields.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

If you're short on research and flush in other areas, a bunch of the research spots have alternate unlocks (money, influence, energy). Energy seems like the most poorly priced, but as I get my base empire established and I start fighting another I often find myself with excess influence or dollars, which I'm finding are pretty good to spend on research, then saving my points for the stuff that is research point only.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Speaking of cash, I am finding my excess that I am earning just disappear before I am able to use it for new fleets or planets, which has also left me in this strange spot

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well think of your cash like the budget a public entity like a school or military or something gets. They know if they don't use it up then they'll get less next year, so at the end of the year if there is cash left over they're gonna spend it somewhere. So when you don't use it up just imagine your guys buying solid gold toilets and poo poo.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Whatever you don't use is spent on Welfare/Research Grants/etc. - depending on what you've set it to. There's often situations where it's best not to spend your money to get access to a global resource you might be lacking the planets for.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I guess I should clarify a bit. If you look at the top left where your budget is, there is a little icon next to it that is probably the (i) symbol for influence. If you click on that, you'll get a list of options to funnel your extra money per budget cycle into. As far as I can tell, it gives however much you have leftover over the next budget cycle (so you don't get a big pay-day of influence all at once, but you'll get something like 1.66 per minute for the next 3 minutes, depending on how much cash you have left over of course).

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

That clears up a lot of things really. I noticed the income per tick numbers, but since I never got the full amount, but actually my next tick's total income would round up to that,, I thought that it maybe mu total cash on hand for the next tick, which means I had been gimping myself during my first game. Though I kinda shelved it as the space ents subjugated the robot race, and with me as their next target, as long with my 4000 total points vs his 10000 and 'green' army indicator . I was never going to win :v:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Every now and then when you use a protoplanet you get the resource MICROCLINE. It infects any planet it touches and changes their resource to more MICROLINE.

MICROCLINE does nothing.

Transforming all their best resources to MICROCLINE is possibly the best way to cripple an enemy.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
So at current projections, we'll have enough money to make our planned expansion - and then we'll have to close down the studio as it'll just be too risky to pursue another project. That projection lands us some time in October-December we think. So though I keep banging the drum for it - if you like the game, let folks know: write some reviews on Steam/GOG/GamersGate, shoot e-mails to your favorite news sources and let's players!

Show folks there is room in the 4x corner for a game that dares to break away from the MoO/Civ formula.

In upcoming stuffs for the game: We're hoping to launch an expansion and a free DLC later this year even if the game continues its current sales trend.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well I've done my small part :unsmith: Not given your game much love yet because Age of Wonders 3 had an expansion come out, but from what i saw of Daton playing and what ive played myself its great fun.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Every bit helps. And I just want to re-iterate: Do really, actually, I mean seriously send e-mails to folks you want to check out the game. It really does matter.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If you can get into one of the big ones you have a pretty good shot at the rest picking it up. I was wondering how sales were since none of the big ones picked it up this time around.

I wrote and tried :smith: I really hope it gets picked up because this is A Good Game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Firgof have you thought about getting a publisher like Matrix Games or partnering with a company with similar products like Arcen Games (the AI Wars people). It's difficult to do this alone.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm still confused as to how to stay contemporary with my rivals, most basically around ship scale.

Without watching his fleets to roughly calculate the attack power compared with mine, I can end up being 'tank rushed' by similar sized fleets at a larger scale that dismantle things fairly easily.

Am I alone in this?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

Without watching his fleets to roughly calculate the attack power compared with mine, I can end up being 'tank rushed' by similar sized fleets at a larger scale that dismantle things fairly easily.
The 'strength' bar/number is meant to do the rough calculations for you.

Lorini posted:

Firgof have you thought about getting a publisher like Matrix Games or partnering with a company with similar products like Arcen Games (the AI Wars people). It's difficult to do this alone.

It is difficult, yes. We have thought about getting a publisher, partnering with other companies, yes. There are some issues with pursuing those paths though that we don't find palatable. For one, we're pretty small and our IP isn't very valuable - what reason would a publisher have to scoop us up? That's something we'd have to spend time to find out, spin into a good package, and present it to potential publishers - and all that will take time away from working on SR2 while we still have time to work on SR2.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

There are a lot of lovely games out there. You have a good game that needs more exposure. You have given great support to your games.

If you don't want to do the presentations then at least contact Arcen; it wouldn't surprise me at all if they already knew about you.

Smaller publishers are always looking for developers who can take a project from start to finish and get it into retail. You would not believe how many 'great ideas' people have but cannot execute them.

Also you don't have to do it right now, just when you have some time, even after you shut the studio. I would hate to see such innovation go away forever.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm surprised Space Sector hasn't reviewed the game yet. I e-mailed them about it but surely they have a review in the works. They've been pretty good about reviewing pretty much every 4X and space-related game that comes out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
FYI Adam Solo got back to me and said they're planning on posting a review next week on Space Sector.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I know that Totalbiscuit mentioned that he was going to make a video on the game on one of his podcasts, if he does so then there'll definitely be a big surge in sales.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've heard back from three youtubers I follow that said they'll take a look. Also sent off emails to several of the RPS writers demanding they look.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks everyone for your help so far. Please keep the war drums banging - I don't know how much it'll take to get folks to actually take a look at it but you're definitely having an impact already. I have faith that Scott Manley, Quill, and TB can get us into the public eye - but getting the game onto sites like RPS is suddenly becoming a truly Herculean effort.

We've never had this much trouble in the past. Star Ruler 1 was basically a breeze, getting it onto sites and gaining people's interest. But regardless, I have faith in you guys. And I hate that y'all might feel that we're trying to shift the burden to your shoulders - what we're trying to do is just get a more even distribution on this load we're bearing. With you guys' support, I'm certain we'll at least have a chance that so far these outlets just haven't given us yet.

Whether that ultimately leads to the game becoming a success or just a brief blip of notoriety and then falling back off the radar is unfortunately up to the people we're trying to contact, and the folks you guys spread the game to amongst your circle of friends - and the game of course as if it gives a bad impression there's no force on earth to make that bad impression good. In any case, I'll feel great even at the end of the studio's life that I got to stand shoulder to shoulder with you guys - whether we succeed or fail in resurrecting this game.

But we have faith in the game's quality shining through, as long as people give it a chance. It's making them want to take a chance that's proving to be the hardest part.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Have you heard back from Tom Chick? He and I had a huge falling out a couple of years ago but I could contact him and ask him what's up with his copy of the game if you wanted me to. I've known him for years except I got really pissed off at him.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm banging those war drums for you dude. I want to see more games from you guys.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Let us be fair: there are some things that are lacking (mostly tech screen for me). Apart from that, SR2 is a solid 4x game, and the diplomacy is something truly innovative and feels way different than other games. The economy for me is a nice blend of some micromanagement, but still pulled back like orion 1 (with 1 bar of production per planet) that it doesn't feel as overwhelming as a lot of other games in the genre are. I'll be sad if you guys don't drum up some business and stick together, but I feel great about putting my dollars forward, and encouraging friends to do the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it should be getting more exposure, all the lovely space 4x games get plenty so god knows one of the few good ones should get a share.

If he hasn't been mentioned yet Aavak plays a variety of strategy-type games and might do a look at the game if he likes it? He's got a business email in the contacts if you wanted to throw him a key maybe. Smaller than TB and quite community engaged so might have more luck?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 17, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Firgof posted:

So at current projections, we'll have enough money to make our planned expansion - and then we'll have to close down the studio as it'll just be too risky to pursue another project. That projection lands us some time in October-December we think. So though I keep banging the drum for it - if you like the game, let folks know: write some reviews on Steam/GOG/GamersGate, shoot e-mails to your favorite news sources and let's players!

Show folks there is room in the 4x corner for a game that dares to break away from the MoO/Civ formula.

In upcoming stuffs for the game: We're hoping to launch an expansion and a free DLC later this year even if the game continues its current sales trend.

Don't get discouraged, you made an awesome game. Especially the diplomacy system is amazing. I can't think of another game (okay I can think of one, but I'd rather not since it's MoO3) where I can have a proper diplomatic war that doesn't involve any actual fighting. I've got a save where I've got a completely war-less battle for supremacy in the galaxy where everyone's just trying to annex planets and grab as much diplomatic power as possible. I'm sure there'll be war eventually, but by the time it rolls out the winner will have been determined already with diplomacy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I would say that the tech screen is kind of a hot mess it feels like. I at least want to keep the names of techs when I scroll out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
We're working on a potential iteration on the res. web. to address readability and strategy concerns. It's still in its early stages though and we're still experimenting with various path arrangements, sizes, and shapes. Should be easier to visually parse by the time we're done and - hopefully - also be a bit more easy to read for long-term strategy. But yeah, we know. It needs to be better and we're trying.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread