Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
annoying douche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firstpost
Mar 27, 2015

by XyloJW
:firstpost:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i dont like heinlein but sometimes it's useful w/ people who know what it means.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

i dont like heinlein but sometimes it's useful w/ people who know what it means.

lol please give an example of this being a useful thing to say in an actual conversation please

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 288 days!)

Otto von Ruthless posted:

lol please give an example of this being a useful thing to say in an actual conversation please

look at this newb who doesnt grok itt

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

1. you work in IT and have poor social skills

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
Yeah I love referencing phrases coined by cannibal cults

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

die-hard grokster checking in

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

well for instance if you need to say "understand" but want to emphasize that the depth of the understanding is such that the knowledge itself is essentially perfunctory or natural. if I use a phrase like "really grokking C pointers" it gets across taht I mean that someone for whom this phrase is true doesn't just know, in an academic sense, how a C pointer works(as "really understanding C pointers" can encompass), they also don't have to think about it because the udnerstanding is so deep that it becomes natural. there are other ways to phrase it but sometimes you get part of the way through a sentence and realize you need to change words and so this can be less awkward. i use a programming example in particular because as a poster implied above if you have the opportunity to use it(the other person will know what it means immediately) you are probably talking about something nerdy.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

actually it doesn't mean poo poo because almost nobody uses grok conversationally, at least not in like 30 years

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey that's funny, these guys I used to roleplay an orc with in UO used to use "gruk" as understand

http://www.shadowclan.org/catskills/language.htm#human

Gib Shinies!!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i don't grok the meaning of this thread

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had a computer science professor who kept saying it, but pronouncing it as "grog", so it could be worse.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
eggnog

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

eternalname posted:

annoying douche

That was hella insightful.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

well for instance if you need to say "understand" but want to emphasize that the depth of the understanding is such that the knowledge itself is essentially perfunctory or natural. if I use a phrase like "really grokking C pointers" it gets across taht I mean that someone for whom this phrase is true doesn't just know, in an academic sense, how a C pointer works(as "really understanding C pointers" can encompass), they also don't have to think about it because the udnerstanding is so deep that it becomes natural. there are other ways to phrase it but sometimes you get part of the way through a sentence and realize you need to change words and so this can be less awkward. i use a programming example in particular because as a poster implied above if you have the opportunity to use it(the other person will know what it means immediately) you are probably talking about something nerdy.

please don't read the jargon file

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
grok this op *flips u off*

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

a messed up horse posted:

please don't read the jargon file

good news I didnt and wont

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think you need to immediately jettison yourself out of whatever cesspit you've ended up in because I have never ever heard anybody use that term.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
was expecting "sociologist" but I guess they're equivalents

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
You assume correctly op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

if you want to say 'understand on an intuitive leve but not on an analytical level' with less words

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ocean Book posted:

if you want to say 'understand on an intuitive leve but not on an analytical level' with less words

it's only less words until the person you're talking to says "what the gently caress is a grok"

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I read Stranger in a Strange Land when I was 15 or something and didn't quite get it.

The thing I did take away is anyone who says 'grok' is essentially a loving loser peado.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Ocean Book posted:

If you can't explain something to somebody else, then you don't really understand it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
nobody is saying grok is some great word invented by a guy who wasn't a dipshit and that people totally know what it means(don't use a word if your audience doesn't know what it means, duh), but it does potentially have a use case, because I've run into it.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

nobody is saying grok is some great word invented by a guy who wasn't a dipshit and that people totally know what it means(don't use a word if your audience doesn't know what it means, duh), but it does potentially have a use case, because I've run into it.

Hmm. Stfu

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

a messed up horse posted:

it's only less words until the person you're talking to says "what the gently caress is a grok"

well its best to know your audience before using words, yes

notZaar posted:

If you can't explain something to somebody else, then you don't really understand it.

there are mutiple stages of understanding something so 'really understand' is kind of a fuzzy arbitrary term here

escalator incident
Oct 1, 2005

Sorry for the convenience.
Fun Shoe
was expecting rob gronkowski :smith:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
To my great disappointment, I have met people in real life who use "grok" unironically in a sentence. Inevitably they barely finished high school/dropped out of community college and are breathtakingly arrogant about their 'superior intellect'.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 28, 2015

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i assume you are a beardy who gets paid a lot of money to type unix commands

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
Im grokkin gay

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Helical Nightmares posted:

To my great disappointment, I have met people in real life who use "grok" unironically in a sentence. Inevitably they barely finished high school/dropped out of community college and are breathtakingly arrogant about their 'superior intellect'.

I was going to say that goons are one or two generations behind the hippie retards who actually threw this word around because Stranger In A Strange Land came out in 1961, but OTOH this sure sounds like goons

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't, but you can still assume that.

Thanks OP, for understanding my special needs as a giant douche.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I use it regularly and I usually wear t shirts featuring bigfoot or his Australian cousin the yowie!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

eternalname posted:

annoying douche

hey. I named a caveman actor that in a drawing game. does it mean something I"m not aware of?

edit: huh. guess so.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok
I was just looking for a name that sounded like a grunt.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

i defy anybody to describe the plot to stranger in a strange land without sounding like a dork

it cant be done

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
cto of my company is annoying douche and says it a lot. he also says "ontology" a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Is it like a word from Harry Potter or something? I don't get it.

• Locked thread