Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

TITLE
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru darou ka
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
http://danmachi.com/

STAFF
Director: Yamakawa Yoshinobu (Hatsukoi Limited, Little Busters!)
Screenplay: Shirane Hideki (Hayate no Gotoku s2, Date A Live)
Music: Inai Keiji (BTOOOM!, Outbreak Company)
Studio: J.C.Staff

STORY
It follows 14-year-old Bell, who's come to the big city in order to become an Adventurer, so he can delve deep into the dungeon underneath the central tower, where he's hoping to have a chance encounter with a damsel in distress, whom he can save in dashingly romantic fashion, and add to his harem. Except, he's the one who ends up being rescued from certain death by a fair sword maiden.

SETTING
It's set in a fantasy world, where the Gods have descended from their heavenly abode, and now entertain themselves by founding Familia, whose members are granted powers through an arcane ceremony involving divine blood, which somehow transforms their accumulated experience into numbered stat increases and new passive abilities. It's literally an RPG turned into an anime. Complete with dungeon crawl grinding and weapon shopping.

CHARACTERS

Bell Cranel (Matsuoka Yoshitsugu)
Age: 14, Level: 1, Race: Human, Affiliation: Hestia Familia
Main character and hero in the making. His white hair and ruby eyes combined with fast legs remind people of a cute bunny.

Ais Wallenstein (Oonishi Saori)
Age: 16, Level: 5, Race: Human, Affiliation: Loki Familia
Famed for being one of the strongest swordfighters to brave the Dungeon, this golden-haired, golden-eyed beauty can't seem to stop Bell from fleeing whenever they meet. Main character in the Sword Oratoria spin-off series.

Liliruca Arde (Uchida Maaya)
Age: 15, Level: 1, Race: Parum, Affiliation: Soma Familia
The most unfortunate of heroines, this tiny figure of a girl makes her living as a Supporter, picking up loot and carrying supplies for Adventurers.

Eina Tulle (Tomatsu Haruka)
Age: 19, Level: ?, Race: Half-Elf, Affiliation: The Guild
Working as a clerk at the Guild, the organization that runs the city of Orario, Eina has taken Bell under her wing as an adviser, guiding him in all things relating to the Dungeon.

Bete Loga (Okamoto Nobuhiko)
Age: ?, Level: 5, Race: Werewolf, Affiliation: Loki Familia
Skilled but arrogant warrior, who despises anyone not up to his standards of fighting.

Syr Flover (Ishigami Shizuka)
A cheerful girl of friendly disposition, who takes a liking to Bell and supplies him with home-made lunch, for those long days in the Dungeon. Works as a waitress at everyone's favourite pub.

Ryu Lion (Hayami Saori)
Syr's best friend, also a waitress at the pub. Burdened with a dark past, her courteous demeanour belies the danger in her sky-blue eyes.

Hestia (Minase Inori)
Recently descended goddess, whose youthful visage and enormous chest puts her at odds with certain other deities. Still struggling to build a reputation, but happily heads her Familia of one.

Loki (Kubo Yurika)
"Retired" trickster goddess armed with a pseudo-Kansai dialect, who hates Hestia with a passion, because of a certain lack of assets. Leads one of the two most powerful battle Familia in the city.

Freya (Hikasa Youko)
Being goddess of beauty, love and fertility, she is bestowed with peerless divine appearance and proportions, capable of bewitching any mortal beings. Leads the other of the two most powerful battle Familia in Orario.

TRAILER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcwRt0y4kY

BOOKS
DanMachi is originally a Japanese light novel series authored by Oomori Fujino, which started in 2013 after winning the oh so fancy GA Bunko award. It's currently up to 6 volumes published, with volume 7 scheduled for release on April 15, and volume 8 on June 16. It has been licensed in the west by Yen Press.

There's also a spin-off light novel series called Sword Oratoria, which runs in parallel with the original storyline, but focuses on the members of the Loki Familia, with Ais as main character, giving readers a better idea of life at the deeper levels of the Dungeon. At the moment, 3 volumes have been released, with volume 4 planned for May.

In addition, they've both got manga adaptations running, with art by Kunieda and Yagi Takashi respectively.

STREAMING
Crunchyroll has it: http://www.crunchyroll.com/danmachi

darkgray fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It is not wrong if the girl has righteous baps

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

or an rear end that won't quit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What about legs that go all the way up?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yes, it is wrong.

Wait until you're back at the inn, horndog.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
the protagonist is voiced by kirito lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SEEN BIRDS IN THE SKY, TREES INBETWEEN

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh it's J.C Staff and the guy who directed Little Busters.

Abandon all hope of this being good.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Only if it gets you the Epic gear.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The dungeon might be too small to pick the girl up when you're inside it. Try going outside instead.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Eh, I'll give it an episode to earn a three-episode test.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
The answer is no

You must gather your party before venturing forth

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I somehow made it a volume and a half into the manga before realizing I was bored as poo poo. Might check out the anime to see if it's any better, but not getting my hopes up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
After Shield Hero turned out to be so horrifically misogynistic that I almost threw up it'd be nice for a fantasy series to not get....weird like so many of them are prone to do (SAO I'm looking at you)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

CR picked it up: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/04/03/crunchyroll-to-stream-is-it-wrong-to-try-and-pick-up-girls-in-a-dungeon

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
First episode is out and it is not poo poo. In other words, it's off to a good start.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Went in with no expectations and the first episode was pretty enjoyable. Nice action scenes and the setting is very intriguing to me. My only gripe is the goddess is suuuper annoying.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Well, the music was nice. Pacing's too fast for my taste, cutting out tons of novel bits where I enjoyed the everyday dungeon grind, but it'd probably make for dull television anyway.

The ending sequence is showing off characters from vol 5, so it might be burning through the original material at a rate of 2-3 episodes per book.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

darkgray posted:

Well, the music was nice.

Yes, there was adequate amounts of mmorpg bgm for my liking. will follow

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Admoon posted:

My only gripe is the goddess is suuuper annoying.

Somehow I don't hate her though. She might be derived from a cliche and be literally deified fanservice, but somehow she's not a bad character.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Somehow I don't hate her though. She might be derived from a cliche and be literally deified fanservice, but somehow she's not a bad character.

Be true to yourself.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hestia's single arm-chest ribbon manages to be dumber that all of the belts in Final Fantasy. That's pretty impressive.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Admoon posted:

My only gripe is the goddess is suuuper annoying.

Oh what it's like to be young and naive again and to experience tsundere for the first time.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh what it's like to be young and naive again and to experience tsundere for the first time.

Well I think the biggest reason I think she's annoying is because I've seen the exact same character a thousand times before. Doesn't really make it better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I gather from this and the season thread that this show is about an anime lady who brushes her teeth as we all should at least twice a day, and who is DTF. Is that an accurate assessment?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

chumbler posted:

I gather from this and the season thread that this show is about an anime lady who brushes her teeth as we all should at least twice a day, and who is DTF. Is that an accurate assessment?

nah it's just about a dude trying to dungeon crawl but all these anime girls keep bothering him because anime premise

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

nah it's just about a dude trying to dungeon crawl but all these anime girls keep bothering him because anime premise

*also said dude is insanely in love with one specific "unattainable" girl who he wants to get strong enough to "protect" even though she's like 50 levels higher then him and all other girls/women he encounters also want his d

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is a show about an inept anime boy that random girls want to take care of because he is so moe. He is more fetish-bait than any of the female characters. If this was yaoi he would have already been raped by 5 different men just in the first episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is a show about an inept anime boy that random girls want to take care of because he is so moe. He is more fetish-bait than any of the female characters. If this was yaoi he would have already been raped by 5 different men just in the first episode.

Is yaoi stuff always that sexually violent? I feel like any time I hear about a yaoi thing there's always dudes raping dudes in it.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Eh, I liked the first episode well enough to see what the new few have in store. I wanna see Bell level up and fight stuff.

AnacondaHL posted:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The rear end in a top hat guy from Loki went from being an annoying cliche to being such an over-the-top blatant plot device that I was actually amused. Good job show.

If this show avoids taking itself seriously it'll be a fun stupid romp. I doubt that'll happen, but I'll give it a couple more episodes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

Is yaoi stuff always that sexually violent? I feel like any time I hear about a yaoi thing there's always dudes raping dudes in it.

Not always but an unfortunately large percentage, to the point where someone runs a blog dedicated to pointing out BL stuff that doesn't have any non-con stuff because it's so rare.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

chumbler posted:

100%

Also just from seeing that first episode, I don't see why anyone would be looking down on the protag at all. It seems like he has aptitude from Fire Emblem, and we all know how nuts busted Donnel was.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Twiddy posted:

100%

Also just from seeing that first episode, I don't see why anyone would be looking down on the protag at all. It seems like he has aptitude from Fire Emblem, and we all know how nuts busted Donnel was.

Donnel blows.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Although the harem stuff looks like it's already ready to ruin the show at any time, this one looks pretty interesting. I like the whole 'familia' thing going on with the gods having their little clans, and the mmorpg-like stat gains after killing monsters is kind of neat too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well this show's MC resembles the MC from No. 6, and we all know how that turned out.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Donnel blows.
Yeah, until lv15 when he gets Underdog

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched the first episode of this and dang, it is really gunning for that SAO crowd isn't it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I haven't read the SAO books, but I don't feel reminded of the SAO anime in the least when I'm reading DanMachi. Too pure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It reminded me of SAO in the sense that the main character felt like a bland self insert, and all of the ladies already want his dick. Felt light novel-y as hell and even though it's not a story about being trapped in a MMO, it might as well be one since they're treating it like a video game anyways.

• Locked thread