Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

darkgray posted:

If anyone's wondering what happened to the tempo in ep 3, it's a result of how they've chosen to partition up vol 1: ep 1 and 2 got ~140 pages each, while ep 3 adapted the final 45 pages. Oh well.

Nearly every anime I've seen that was paced on an LN had pacing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ganesha seems like a real bro, it's too bad he didn't get a spin-off.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Ganesha seems like a real bro, it's too bad he didn't get a spin-off.
Ganesha owns, Eina owns, Hephaestus owns.
There's a fair few really cool side-characters tbh.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It took 11 minutes for Hestia to pass over the drat knife and yet I'm still enticed enough by everything not directly related to Bell/Hestia that I'm sticking around for another episode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

It took 11 minutes for Hestia to pass over the drat knife and yet I'm still enticed enough by everything not directly related to Bell/Hestia that I'm sticking around for another episode.

it's ok dude you can just say you're there for the boobs

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

it's ok dude you can just say you're there for the boob-ribbon

fixed

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

It's ok, you don't need to be so tsun about the show.
We understand.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

ViggyNash posted:

The powerful knife of friendship needed enough time to be activated by a nice speech, otherwise it's just a regular powerful knife.

Also what was with Sword Princess's crew saying they couldn't locate a 20 foot cybergorilla in the middle of the city?

ScottyWired fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 18, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ScottyWired posted:

The powerful knife of friendship needed enough time to be activated by a nice speech, otherwise it's just a regular powerful knife.

Also what was with Sword Princess's crew saying they couldn't locate a 20 foot cybergorilla in the middle of the city?

If I remember correctly, that part of the city is considered a dungeon. Or FF6 Zozo for a better comparison.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ScottyWired posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daedalus#The_Labyrinth

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Or in gaming terms, it's procedurally-generated since this is a video game world practically.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
So now they just need a quick one-liner to handwave the fact that people live there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This show is okay for me. It helps that the premise is a dude trying to get the status and courage to ask a specific girl out, which makes it feel more like, uh, Disney's Aladdin or something than every clichéd harem show out there.

Bell has to be the cutest out of the many Let's Clone Kaworu character I feel like I've seen lately (hey, World Trigger kid; that means you.)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

So I guess it was more beneficial for him to get the blade then level/stat up because if he just got the blade or they didn't level up it'd be weaker? Im guessing that's how the blessing works.

TheKingofSprings posted:

it's ok dude you can just say you're there for the boob-ribbon

Same, viggy. :hfive:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

So I guess it was more beneficial for him to get the blade then level/stat up because if he just got the blade or they didn't level up it'd be weaker? Im guessing that's how the blessing works.

Same, viggy. :hfive:

Except I'm not and I wish Hestia had died at the end of the episode like I though she did. What a shame she didn't.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The blade levels up with him so if he sucks it sucks too.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The next volume of the light novel comes out on Tuesday. I'm guessing that we'll cover more than that in the next two or three episodes of this anime though. Since I actually read the first volume, I knew he got the knife, so I wasn't screaming along with the rest of you. I didn't recall it taking so long though. I'll have to re-read the thing. It takes like an hour to read.

I'm watching the show for the dental hygiene.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
It takes me 10 hours to read. :(

Yeah, they'll probably cover vol 2 over episodes 4-5, or bake it straight into vol 3's episodes, where the real climax takes place.

In Japan, vol 7 just came out this week. Hopefully I'll get it shipped here before the month is over.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

darkgray posted:

It takes me 10 hours to read. :(

Yeah, they'll probably cover vol 2 over episodes 4-5, or bake it straight into vol 3's episodes, where the real climax takes place.

In Japan, vol 7 just came out this week. Hopefully I'll get it shipped here before the month is over.

I wonder if its a lot of pressure on the author once the anime became a hit. Most of these newer LN writers are young 20-somethings right?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if its a lot of pressure on the author once the anime became a hit. Most of these newer LN writers are young 20-somethings right?

Pressure how? To be good or just to crank out new novels? Nobody expects light novels to be good.

They had already scheduled DanMachi v7-8 and Sword Oratoria v4 to come out April - May - June before the anime even started.

The light novel business has been changing a bit lately, with the rising popularity of web novels. There's a bunch of regular salarymen in their thirties who write and post web novels as a hobby, and when they get successful enough, publishing houses seemingly swoop in and offer them book deals. DanMachi actually started as a web novel, even if it was submitted to the publisher's novel competition and won a publishing deal that way.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 18, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
LN publishers regularly trawl through the JP equivalent of FF.net for stuff to sell. DanMachi, Log Horizon & SAO (among others) all came from that same website, IIRC.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I cant wait for the cute albino to take on his worst enemy.

The Sun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Except I'm not and I wish Hestia had died at the end of the episode like I though she did. What a shame she didn't.

The tsun is strong in this one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

LN publishers regularly trawl through the JP equivalent of FF.net for stuff to sell. DanMachi, Log Horizon & SAO (among others) all came from that same website, IIRC.

I assume with SAO they saw 16.5 and were like "yeah you can leave that one out"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TheKingofSprings posted:

I assume with SAO they saw 16.5 and were like "yeah you can leave that one out"

I assume Kawahara left it out from the beginning since he does have some common sense.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Do we have a similar thing in the USA for writing crappy stories that might actually sell? Fiction Press?

Just curious. I don't know of anything. I guess anyone can publish just about anything on Amazon now.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Check out The Worst Things For Sale banner ad that pops up- AFAIK all the stuff from it is on amazon. The guy who does it sometimes highlights particularly bizarre novels.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Pounded in the Butt By My Own Butt' is a genre classic.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It evidently has a sequel.

quote:

You can hit the “look inside” link on the listing if you want to see how far the rabbit hole goes, but just knowing that the author of “Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt” wrote a book called “Pounded In The Butt By My Book Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt“ is probably enough for most people.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CrazySalamander posted:

It evidently has a sequel.

I have never read nor will I ever read either of those books or any others in the series, but I am on a deep, spiritual level glad that they exist. They are what god would write if god wrote books.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
A Thai TV show spent six minutes talking about the boobstring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbauAUgFvYc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The website of a national newspaper here did an article on it where they think it's a real fashion trend in Japan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3040009/Women-Japan-tying-RIBBONS-breasts-boost-cleavage-s-inspired-curvy-cartoon-character.html

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The website of a national newspaper here did an article on it where they think it's a real fashion trend in Japan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3040009/Women-Japan-tying-RIBBONS-breasts-boost-cleavage-s-inspired-curvy-cartoon-character.html

That article shows someone combining the boob string meme and the cleavage sweater meme.

Powerful....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

somethingsomething metal gear rising somethingsomething your memes end here

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't the Daily Mail like just a step up from a tabloid?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not a step up.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Do we have a similar thing in the USA for writing crappy stories that might actually sell? Fiction Press?

Just curious. I don't know of anything. I guess anyone can publish just about anything on Amazon now.

Must do, 50 shades got published after all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

50 Shades started out as a Twilight fanfic.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dan7el posted:

Kindle Direct publishing.
https://kdp.amazon.com

CSB: A friend of my Grandmother wrote some vampire romance novels through that and is now making a good amount of money. I don't know if they're being published though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm cool with the whole series never getting terribly serious and staying pretty much completely lighthearted. Also Ganesha is cool and I thought the fight with the silverback was good, which bodes well for any later fights.

• Locked thread