Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

chumbler posted:

An animeme that could finally do some good for the world.

Someone will mix it with the creepy toothbrushing from that lovely gatari show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is it a LN adaption starting Matsuoka Yoshitsugu as the head role? Yes.

Does it allow him to actually be funny on a regular basis unlike SAO? Yes.

Yeah, we're good.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Apparently the anime is a bit of a success, because the light novels are now covering the entire upper range of Amazon's light novel chart.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

They are some of the cheapest items on that list so that would probably help numbers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I haven't actually read the books, but really all I want out of this show is for it to avoid the usual skeevy bullshit. Nothing wrong with a simple, casual show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I haven't actually read the books, but really all I want out of this show is for it to avoid the usual skeevy bullshit. Nothing wrong with a simple, casual show.

The first episode alone should probably be enough to tell you that's not going to happen.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

darkgray posted:

Apparently the anime is a bit of a success, because the light novels are now covering the entire upper range of Amazon's light novel chart.

This is why you don't order Chinese food kids. 50$ could go towards give more books!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chumbler posted:

The first episode alone should probably be enough to tell you that's not going to happen.

What? There wasn't any toxic, abusive relationships or thinly veiled pedophilia in the first episode. Aside from Hestia's ridiculous outfit the fanservice was pretty subdued, too. I don't really see what was so bad about it as far as harem shows go.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What? There wasn't any toxic, abusive relationships or thinly veiled pedophilia in the first episode. Aside from Hestia's ridiculous outfit the fanservice was pretty subdued, too. I don't really see what was so bad about it as far as harem shows go.

If that's what you meant then yeah it seems like it should be pretty much clean. It's sometimes hard to tell what people's metrics for skeeziness are around here.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
As far as I can recall, it remains pretty clean in general, based off the manga anyways. I just find it kind of bland, but I assume the main appeal is the dungeon crawling and rpg elements anyways.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I thought it was mostly clean too and my first reaction was that I was broken and desensitized somehow. :ohdear:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Currently watching the first episode, and I'm already way more done with the main dude than I ever was in the manga. Is he supposed to be, like, 11?

Also they changed the "character stats" thing from "oh hey it's literally an intricate tattoo that gets reapplied by hand every night, that is rad as hell" to "it's magic that appears by squinting hard enough". Not a fan.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I appreciated that the show didn't push that stuff too hard. Even Hestia was... ignorable.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

Currently watching the first episode, and I'm already way more done with the main dude than I ever was in the manga. Is he supposed to be, like, 11?

Also they changed the "character stats" thing from "oh hey it's literally an intricate tattoo that gets reapplied by hand every night, that is rad as hell" to "it's magic that appears by squinting hard enough". Not a fan.

Is this a difference between the manga and LN or is it the same on both? Hope it doesn't end up like Freezing!

Instead of a cool power armor they made the characters.. glow.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

i bought the light novel because i thought it was a mang

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Demicol posted:

Is this a difference between the manga and LN or is it the same on both? Hope it doesn't end up like Freezing!

Instead of a cool power armor they made the characters.. glow.

It's not much of a difference no. The view of that scene had the overlay effect from the goddess so i chose a different one, but it seems to be pretty much the same.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I, too, hope that this is nothing like freezing. (don't watch or read freezing)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Like seriously don't. Do you like super armor, interesting fights? Well too bad here's some grade A Chauvinist material and low grade bureaucracy drama.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

From the first episode I was hoping it would be good but it turned out to be something else, yeah. But just trying to make a comparison of the animators going the lazy route because its easier to animate.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I think this was a good episode and I am looking forward to stupid rpg references and comedic romance.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

They sure cut out a lot of the dungeon grind in ep 2, but I guess it's hard to pace anime right. Music's still nice.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
New episode was dumb. The intrigue was interesting, but the show is too obsessed with shoving Hestia in our face and it's really goddamn grating. The rest of the episode was either bland or dumb. Probably just gonna drop off here.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

New episode was dumb. The intrigue was interesting, but the show is too obsessed with shoving Hestia in our face and it's really goddamn grating. The rest of the episode was either bland or dumb. Probably just gonna drop off here.

If only we had not lost Dick Spacious, he would be here to make the obvious joke.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At least the show will have the boob string meme as its enduring legacy...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

chumbler posted:

If only we had not lost Dick Spacious, he would be here to make the obvious joke.

Also with a :mrgw:

Rip Richard Spacious: Certified Purveyor of Anime

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
If Richard was still alive, he would've made a critical and thought provoking social commentary about this current Blue Ribbon fanart mania.

https://twitter.com/geta6/status/586124923149496321

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bubblegumbo0 posted:

If Richard was still alive, he would've made a critical and thought provoking social commentary about this current Blue Ribbon fanart mania.

https://twitter.com/geta6/status/586124923149496321

This is it. We've reached the peak of human civilization.

If only Mr. Spacious could've been here to see it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
To absolutely nobody's surprise, they cut a lot of the battle/chase portion for fluff with Hestia. Honestly, if they wanted to do that they probably should have just ended the episode with the chase starting instead of trying to compress the first half like that.

Notable Differences:
1. Bell originally flashbacked to the Minotaur when he saw the Silverback.
2. Instead of just the Silverback, various monsters were released all over the city, prompting Ganesha to swallow his pride and ask for help to subdue them. The guild and Loki also get involved. This part might show up at the beginning of the next episode?
3. Instead of running straight to Daedalus, Bell and the Silverback have a brief fight in the city. It goes about as well for him as you'd expect, but he pulls a trick with the monster's chain to stun it long enough for them to run. This, incidentally, is where Bell and Hestia notice that the Silverback is chasing Hestia in particular.
4. They spend a decent amount of time running through Daedalus before the monster catches up again. Like, they actually try and lose it.
5. There's more running after that, with Bell basically having a nervous breakdown over how useless he is. He eventually decides that he doesn't need to protect Hestia; it's enough to ensure she survives.
6. The conversation between Bell and Hestia is longer and a bit more respectful. It also goes into Bell's backstory, but again that might show up next episode.

I kind of assumed they were going to try and make it to the end of volume 2, but if they're cutting this many corners they might be trying to make it to the end of volume 3. Which is a shame, I actually kind of like Danmachi and wanted to see a solid adaption.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 11, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

I kind of assumed they were going to try and make it to the end of volume 2, but if they're cutting this many corners they might be trying to make it to the end of volume 3. Which is a shame, I actually kind of like Danmachi and wanted to see a solid adaption.

Sorry, bro. Going by the characters shown in the OP, they're rushing as far as vol 5. In 13 eps or so. It's like watching an animated digest.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I imagine that's just a teaser for fans of the series. Like how the Persona 4 anime had the entire crew show up for the first opening, even though Naoto couldn't possibly join that fast.

Though if they actually do try to squeeze five volumes into one cour, that'll be hilarious enough that I'll watch it anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wouldn't be the first time, some decided it was a good idea to squeeze 16 volumes of Zetman into 13 episodes and an anime original ending too!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's pretty typical for tie-in anime. "Want to get the proper story? Read the LN/manga/whatever!" and such.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Don't supposed the novels are translated? I'm liking this show but if they are going to cut out a lot I'd rather read them.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Demicol posted:

Don't supposed the novels are translated? I'm liking this show but if they are going to cut out a lot I'd rather read them.
Volume 2 just came out in English (my copy should arrive some time next week :dance:), but you'll probably have a tough time trying to find the later fan-translated volumes since it got licensed.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Demicol posted:

Vol 1 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316339156/
Vol 2 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316340146/

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Cool thanks, I'll have to pick those up.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The real money is in the merchandise:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I don't know if those can support the weight of giant sweaty man tits

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh goody, get your 24fps toothbrushing now textless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Even if i never watch another episode of this show i'll always love that gif.

• Locked thread