Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

chumbler posted:

I gather from this and the season thread that this show is about an anime lady who brushes her teeth as we all should at least twice a day, and who is DTF. Is that an accurate assessment?
100%

Also just from seeing that first episode, I don't see why anyone would be looking down on the protag at all. It seems like he has aptitude from Fire Emblem, and we all know how nuts busted Donnel was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

pandaK posted:

He had the lowest max stats possible out of the first generation
Yeah, his lovely base class had the lowest max stats. Thankfully you can class change him into other classes as soon as he learns underdog, he has about the same max stat modifier totals as everyone else in the game (approximately 1 or 2), but is blessed with the third best stat growths behind the dragons BEFORE his aptitude skill is applied.

I can let a few posts calling Donnel bad go because his stats do start out in the absolute shitter, but your point doesn't even mean anything.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 5, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

mrRedWhite posted:

Growth rates don't matter in Awakening since you have infinite exp to work with, what matters is class selection and stat caps. His stat caps aren't very impressive, aside from his luck, and he has bad class selection. He starts with spears but none of his good classes use them so he has to spend even more time using poo poo weapons. Donnel's actual value is he can give Galeforce access to a child that doesn't have normal access to it. He has more value as a father than he does as a unit. He will consistently be good, but he'll never be able to compete with any gen 2 characters. Donnel would be amazing in any other fire emblem, but he's nothing special in awakening.
I guess I shouldn't care about half my team, I can just get OP DLC characters and grind them to max and just finish the game that way.

Really, if you're calling Donnel bad because you have to exploit the OP mechanics you're offered, then literally none of the first generation actually matters. That seems like an incredibly soulless way to go about playing a game.

I mean, there's two ways of talking about the game here. You can play the game like an actual game, in which case Donnel's mechanics and powers are super strong and go hand in hand with how the system is played, or you can exploit DLC and every other optional thing which invalidates almost all of the characters about equally in terms of use. I can't see the second one as particularly interesting or worthy of discussion.

Cake Attack posted:

none of this crap actually matters in the main game

he's still not that good but that's because the avatar breaks the game without 10 levels of babying.
You won't hear me deny that the Avatar is probably the best character in the game, but I feel like Donnel's second in the first generation. He's not far behind, at least. In any case, you can't deny that he's powerful in terms of the game mechanics and main story mode, even if he's not the absolute best.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 5, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

The goddess can take care of herself, but Bell needs me. :ohdear:

e: I hope that ribbon costs thirtybux to buy and only costs thirtycents to make.
1000 yen, or 8.32 USD.

On the bright side it has to cost much less than 8 cents, let alone thirty cents, to make.

AnacondaHL posted:

(02): just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife just give him the new knife
Reading crunchyroll comments was worth it for once because every single one that I read was "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE HIM THE loving KNIFE HOLY poo poo!"

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

The plate there has officially slayed me. Good work Crazy Salamander.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Uhhhhhh I don't think he's trying to gently caress her so I'm not sure how he's a "Nice Guy".
He isn't. This show is doing a good job of helping people learn the difference between Nice Guy and nice guy, as well as the glory that is the boob ribbon.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Myurton posted:

Yes they do, but you retain the amount of said stat. So if you have like 900 str at S rank, it will reset to the lowest rank but stay at 900.

Also you get a bit of a boost each level so even though your stats stay the same when you level up, they are more effective.
So basically what I'm hearing is he's minmaxing like a Morrowind character.

Gotta get maximum attribute bonuses every level up.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Man, it's kind of amazing how much eye-watering brutality this show inflicts on its monsters, given its general tone.
They're lesser life forms, it's fine.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

HellCopter posted:

It's not often that milquetoast protagonists actually get called out on that line. I certainly appreciated it.
UBW being in the same season probably dulled me to that being a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

darkgray posted:

The Divine Power rule is kind of hazy.

Freya can use her "innate ability" of Charm to dazzle any living creature, but this isn't considered part of the Divine Power. Similarly, what Hestia did wasn't to use her Divine Power, but rather just unleash her Divine Aura, or whatever you want to call it, which pretty much drops humans to their knees in a god's presence. Both Hermes and Hestia had turned it off when they entered the Dungeon, because they wanted to hide from it. When she enabled it again (to stop the fight), the Dungeon discovered her, and poo poo Happens.

The rule against gods entering the Dungeon is more to stop the Dungeon from going berserk than anything else, and doesn't seemingly connect to whatever godly pact makes them beam back to Heaven. Unless they die, anyway, because that automatically triggers Divine Power and they go back up.
So basically what I read from this is that the Dungeon all of a sudden went "Oh hey there's a level 80 character down here I didn't notice before let's drop an appropriate mob boss for them" and now all the adventurers probably have to fight something way above their pay grade.

• Locked thread