Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
I am a proud Hoosier and business owner, stuff like this is so insane for our state, I hate it. Fortunately local biz leaders are speaking out. Which prompted governor Mike Pence to appear to "clarify" his bill.

A friend of mind suggested a drinking game where you have to take a shot every time Pence says "but george" or "bill clinton" we would all be dead in under an hour. I am up for paying a fine goon to create a song with some some of the finer moments looped around like the SA days of yore. (bed intruder, leprechaun song etc)

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/gov-mike-pence-religious-freedom-law-29987447

“I understand that there’s been a tremendous amount of misinformation and misunderstanding around this bill, and I’m just determined — and I appreciate the time on your program — I’m just determined to clarify this,” Pence told ABC’s George Stephanopolous.

“So this is a yes or no question,” the ABC host noted. “Is Advance America right when they say a florist in Indiana can now refuse to serve a gay couple without fear of punishment?”

Pence, however said that the purpose of the bill that he signed was to “empower” religious people.

And this was a pattern that would be repeated over the next 20 minutes: Stephanopolous asking if the bill allowed anti-LGBT discrimination, followed by Pence dodging the question.

“And so yes or no, if a florist in Indiana refuses to serve a gay couple at their wedding, is that legal now in Indiana?” Stephanopolous asked. “Yes or no?”

“This is where this debate has gone, with misinformation,” Pence replied. “There’s been shameless rhetoric about my state and about this law and about its intention all over the Internet. People are trying to make it about one particular issue. And now you’re doing that, as well.”

“That was one of our supporters who was talking about the bill right there,” Stephanopolous pressed. “It said it would protect a Christian florist who — against any kind of punishment. Is that true or not?”

“George, look, the issue here is, you know, is tolerance a two way street or not?” Pence opined. “I mean, you know, there’s a lot of talk about tolerance in this country today having to do with people on the left. But here Indiana, steps forward to protect the constitutional rights and privileges of freedom of religion for people of faith and families of faith in our state and this avalanche of intolerance that’s been poured on our state is just outrageous.”

“So when you say tolerance is a two way street, does that mean that Christians who want to refuse service or people of any other faith who want to refuse service to gays and lesbians, that it’s now legal in the state of Indiana?” the ABC host tried again.

And again, Pence deflected: “I’m telling you, George, it is a red herring and I think it’s deeply troubling to millions of Americans and, frankly, people all across the state of Indiana who feel troubled about government overreach.”

The Indiana governor added that he had no plans to add protections for LGBT people to the state’s civil rights laws. But officials had been “been doing our level best, George, to correct the gross mischaracterization of this law that has been spread all over the country by many in the media.”

“I mean, frankly, some of the media coverage of this has been shameless and reckless,” he insisted. “The online attacks against the people of our state, I’m just not going to stand for it.”

Pence said that he would be open to a bill that “amplifies” the current law, but “we’re not going to change this law.”

“A final question, a final yes or no question, Governor,” Stephanopolous pushed. “Do you think it should be legal in the state of Indiana to discriminate against gays or lesbians?”

“It’s a yes or no question,” the host added.

“Hoosiers don’t believe in discrimination,” Pence insisted. “I mean this is not about discrimination. This is about protecting the religious liberty of every Hoosier of every faith.”

Crap--can a mod change the thread tag?

DJ Sizzle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
This thread sucks.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Demonachizer posted:

This thread sucks.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
So tired of homos pushing their gay agenda on good people with their skinny effeminate ladyboys with ruby red gaping assholes, their veiny throbbing cocks being milked by hairy strongfat dudes with viking beards. It just greatly upsets me what these fags are doing all the time and it's time we fight back.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Old Uncle Bob • 30 minutes ago
There is no god. We the People, please. The religion industry keeps carving out privileges for itself while masquerading it as 'freedom'. There is no god. Freedom From Religion is how this country thrives. The right wing is in bed with the charlatans and the big grab is on. There is no god.
3 • Reply•Share ›

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i can only cum to cis white males being bigoted on television so this is p good for me

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

spacemang_spliff posted:

Old Uncle Bob • 30 minutes ago
There is no god. We the People, please. The religion industry keeps carving out privileges for itself while masquerading it as 'freedom'. There is no god. Freedom From Religion is how this country thrives. The right wing is in bed with the charlatans and the big grab is on. There is no god.
3 • Reply•Share ›

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv9H0r75XM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

no one cares what happens in your lovely forgotten flyover state

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

they say the aids epidemic in Indiana is because of sharing needles but we all know its really the gays.

good job Indiana keep fighting the good fight

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

etalian posted:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

etalian posted:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i wonder what indianas like. im pretty sure ill never go there.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It's kind of cold out right now.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

brakes. why'd it have to be brakes

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I give this law 6 months tops. That's how long it'll take The Satanic Temple to use this law in their own favor causing the christian right to veto it in a heartbeat.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Ave satanis

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

worse than Mitch Daniels lmao

this site has quotes because i don't want to watch videos http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/mike-pence-theres-an-internet-conspiracy-to-make-indiana-seem-like-anti-gay-bigots/

quote:

“I understand that there’s been a tremendous amount of misinformation and misunderstanding around this bill, and I’m just determined — and I appreciate the time on your program — I’m just determined to clarify this,” Pence told ABC’s George Stephanopolous.

“So this is a yes or no question,” the ABC host noted. “Is Advance America right when they say a florist in Indiana can now refuse to serve a gay couple without fear of punishment?”

Pence, however said that the purpose of the bill that he signed was to “empower” religious people.

And this was a pattern that would be repeated over the next 20 minutes: Stephanopolous asking if the bill allowed anti-LGBT discrimination, followed by Pence dodging the question.

“And so yes or no, if a florist in Indiana refuses to serve a gay couple at their wedding, is that legal now in Indiana?” Stephanopolous asked. “Yes or no?”

“This is where this debate has gone, with misinformation,” Pence replied. “There’s been shameless rhetoric about my state and about this law and about its intention all over the Internet. People are trying to make it about one particular issue. And now you’re doing that, as well.”

“That was one of our supporters who was talking about the bill right there,” Stephanopolous pressed. “It said it would protect a Christian florist who — against any kind of punishment. Is that true or not?”

“George, look, the issue here is, you know, is tolerance a two way street or not?” Pence opined. “I mean, you know, there’s a lot of talk about tolerance in this country today having to do with people on the left. But here Indiana, steps forward to protect the constitutional rights and privileges of freedom of religion for people of faith and families of faith in our state and this avalanche of intolerance that’s been poured on our state is just outrageous.”

“So when you say tolerance is a two way street, does that mean that Christians who want to refuse service or people of any other faith who want to refuse service to gays and lesbians, that it’s now legal in the state of Indiana?” the ABC host tried again.

And again, Pence deflected: “I’m telling you, George, it is a red herring and I think it’s deeply troubling to millions of Americans and, frankly, people all across the state of Indiana who feel troubled about government overreach.”

The Indiana governor added that he had no plans to add protections for LGBT people to the state’s civil rights laws. But officials had been “been doing our level best, George, to correct the gross mischaracterization of this law that has been spread all over the country by many in the media.”

“I mean, frankly, some of the media coverage of this has been shameless and reckless,” he insisted. “The online attacks against the people of our state, I’m just not going to stand for it.”

Pence said that he would be open to a bill that “amplifies” the current law, but “we’re not going to change this law.”

“A final question, a final yes or no question, Governor,” Stephanopolous pushed. “Do you think it should be legal in the state of Indiana to discriminate against gays or lesbians?”

“It’s a yes or no question,” the host added.

“Hoosiers don’t believe in discrimination,” Pence insisted. “I mean this is not about discrimination. This is about protecting the religious liberty of every Hoosier of every faith.”
he just hates gays so much and can't even bring himself to say it out loud

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol not a single yes or no

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it's super cool that rich people figured out that they should just make the only cool things about america, the bill of rights and the ideology behind them, and apply it to corporations and businesses.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"people should be able to say things without fear of government prosecution."

"yeah! and also my business should be allowed to not serve gays or blacks!"

"huh?"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

corporations are the only real people imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jesus said if you bake a wedding cake for gays you are going straight to hell.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Its a free market. If youre gay or trans why the F would you live in the middle of America? Move retards.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
Congratulations on implementing Christianity into the law! Now lets get to taxing all these churches.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is Indiana where the Indians come from?

Yes or No please.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The majority needs to be protected from the minority.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

etalian posted:

no one cares what happens to me
Cheer up, Etalian. Someone out there must care!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Blue Train posted:

they say the aids epidemic in Indiana is because of sharing needles but we all know its really the gays.

good job Indiana keep fighting the good fight

Aids stopped being a "thing" as soon as it became socially acceptable to be gay.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i see that its a controversial law, but no information about why its controversial lol. i mean im sure its there but my attention span cant be hosed to research this

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Saw a comment on Facebook where a guy said, "so if a KKK member went to a black baker and the baker refused service, you would be on the side of the Klansman?"

CHECKMATE, human being LOVER

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BigBoss posted:

Aids stopped being a "thing" as soon as it became socially acceptable to be gay.

An HIV “epidemic” fueled by needle-sharing opiate addicts has infected at least 72 people in one southern Indiana county as Gov. Mike Pence plans to declare a public health emergency in that community on Thursday.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

1gnoirents posted:

i see that its a controversial law, but no information about why its controversial lol. i mean im sure its there but my attention span cant be hosed to research this
Because Indiana does not protect sexuality from discrimination, unlike some of the other reasonable states who have similar "'religious' freedom" laws, so it is basically open season on not serving/assisting/acknowledging The Gays until they inevitably change the law or have it repealed which is basically a guarantee.

There is clearly more nuance here (and the law does not allow public officials to discriminate, which is nice I guess) but as you saw above, the governor clearly knows you can refuse to help gays if you feel like it and thinks it is just hilarious.

Obligatory Handle posted:

Saw a comment on Facebook where a guy said, "so if a KKK member went to a black baker and the baker refused service, you would be on the side of the baker?"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/aclu-defends-nazis-right-to-burn-down-aclu-headqua,1648/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

Congratulations on implementing Christianity into the law! Now lets get to taxing all these churches.

glad to see sharia finally coming to america

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Lol the Onion always wins.

Buddy Carver, president of the Georgia chapter of the American Nazi Party, praised the ACLU for taking on his case. "I would like to thank Ms. Strossen and all the other friend of the family-loving bleeding-heart liberals at the 'ACL-Jew' for defending my constitutional right to express my loathing of them with hundred-foot-high flames," said Carver, sporting a tan uniform and swastika arm band. "We must finish the job Hitler was unable to."

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
check out this scenario

*Republican senator Chad Pagefalker lazily shifts into his hotel room to find the lights off and the moonlit silhouette of a man leaning against a gaudy cabinet.

he is startled but intrigued

"What are you doing here?" as he reaches for his cell phone to call the police.

The shadowed man beckons to him "Mr. Pagefalker" as he takes a hit off what must be a cigarette and exhales. "I know you are going to vote against Obama's healthcare reform act"

He puffs again and the cigarette lights up with a bluish hue.

"What of it?" the senator quizzes, his fingers hovering over the phone yet pose eager to hear whatever proposition will come next.

"It's simple" the shadowed man exhales, walking out of the shadow to reveal a chubby male pockmarked with acne and sporting a fedora. "I want you to make an amendment to the bill by introducing a national single payer alternative."

The Senator's face turns in an matter of seconds from intent listening, to a puzzled look to stifling laughter.

"Why would I do this?" he says with a half chuckle

"Its the right thing to do." the Fedorad man says, this time with a cracked voice.

The senator laughs

"You have to do what's best for the middle and lower class"

" I am calling the police in 2 minutes so you better be gone"

The fedorad man says "I can pay your campaign"

The senator's eye widens a bit.

"with your family's life."

"What are you talking about you fat poo poo?"

nonchalantly the fedorad man says.

"Make the amendment or your family dies, but not before I show them you sucking off those teenagers in the Hamptons"

So the senator votes for the healthcare bill

As the enters his room for his daily orphan rape session, the fedorad man appears.

The senator jumps back.

" I did as you asked, is my family safe?"

"They are safe now that we have passed a healthcare bill that truly covers all of america"

The fedorad man shows the senator a picture of his family on a free Jesus Revival retreat in Florida.

"1 down 99 to go" he look to himself gazing at the sky.

"You bastard" Chad scowls. as the fedorad man climbs onto the window revealing a jet pack.

"What do they call you? "

"Oh me?" the fedorad man looks back and winks

"Just call me Middle America Man"

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe

Obligatory Handle posted:

Saw a comment on Facebook where a guy said, "so if a KKK member went to a black baker and the baker refused service, you would be on the side of the Klansman?"

Nicely played!

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
This is what you get when you name your state after a dog.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

a place that is really cold in the winter with lots of corn fields and fat people and walmarts

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fedorad is a true hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

a place that is really cold in the winter with lots of corn fields and fat people and walmarts

Surprisingly good bbq however.

• Locked thread