Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
unions

Are they good or bad? Are they flawed? Did the republicans kill them? How should they be changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I like them

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Unions are great. So are pensions.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
bad cause the y make job creators cry

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Unionated States of America

Aug 4, 2010

i am in an union and they helped me a lot when claiming against my work for a workplace injury giving me free access to their lawyers. unions are good

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

unions dont want you to know that you can negotiate on your own for wages/workers rights

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think unions are good in the private sector and support them.

I think they are bad in the public sector and oppose them.

In the private sector, management and labor both have a seat at the negotiating table.

In the public sector, (1) "management" is the elected officials, and (2) there is a third party - the taxpayers. Ostensibly they are represented by the elected officials. The problem is a SEVERE conflict of interest arises when those officials happen to be Democrats, who are heavily supported and funded by public employee unions.

HTH OP

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I have a union and a pension. They both own. If you have neither, your employer hates you.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chris Christie posted:

In the private sector, management and labor both have a seat at the negotiating table.

In the public sector, (1) "management" is the elected officials, and (2) there is a third party - the taxpayers. Ostensibly they are represented by the elected officials. The problem is a SEVERE conflict of interest arises when those officials happen to be Democrats, who are heavily supported and funded by public employee unions.

HTH OP

holy christ you are retarded

YeahSo!
Feb 1, 2015

by Lowtax

A misanthrope posted:

bad cause the y make job creators cry

No, Misanthrope, that's onions. ITT it's talking about unions, which isn't pronounced "unn" at start of word. *sighs*

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Like for most things, The Simpsons said it best:

quote:

One of these days we'll form a union, and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and become corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
I'm pretty sure you can be legally killed on the streets for being a member of/discussing unions in most of America these days.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Cymoril posted:

I have a union and a pension. They both own. If you have neither, your employer hates you.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Like for most things, The Simpsons said it best:

That's actually wrong for a lot of reasons, mainly that no one was forcing automakers to build lovely cars no one wanted in the 1980s.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rand alPaul posted:

That's actually wrong for a lot of reasons, mainly that no one was forcing automakers to build lovely cars no one wanted in the 1980s.

Don't you ever say the simpsons was wrong. I'll fight you

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

One of my friends was a doctor at GM in the 90s and he tells me all kinds of the stories about people faking injuries to get out of work and the UAW would try to make him diagnose them with things they didn't have so they could get paid leave.

Also, he tells me stories about UAW guys would take a month off of work to get "alcohol treatment" - which of course was paid for - even when they didn't have alcohol problems.

Edit: Basically what I am saying is that the UAW is corrupt and its workers are largely lazy entitled little shits.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

One of my friends was a doctor at GM in the 90s and he tells me all kinds of the stories about people faking injuries to get out of work and the UAW would try to make him diagnose them with things they didn't have so they could get paid leave.

Also, he tells me stories about UAW guys would take a month off of work to get "alcohol treatment" - which of course was paid for - even when they didn't have alcohol problems.

unions rule

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Edit: Basically what I am saying is that the UAW is corrupt and its workers are largely lazy entitled little shits.

lol no, have you been MI? Every single man, woman, and child there needs alcohol treatment.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Chris Christie posted:

HTH OP

In the private sector, (1) "management" (Board of Directors) are elected officials and (2) there is a third party - the Stock Holders. Ostensibly they are represented by the Board of Directors. The problem is a SEVERE conflict of interest. Paying workers decent wages and not treating them like poo poo slows down how quickly the Management can loot the company.

Xae fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 30, 2015

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Dead Gay Romans posted:

lol no, have you been MI? Every single man, woman, and child there needs alcohol treatment.

Maybe, but these guys would go to this one particular real swanky resort treatment place that was of course sanctioned by the UAW and treat it like a paid vacation (in addition to their other ample paid vacation time). They would do this once a year like clockwork, as that's what the UAW contract provided for.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Maybe, but these guys would go to this one particular real swanky resort treatment place that was of course sanctioned by the UAW and treat it like a paid vacation (in addition to their other ample paid vacation time). They would do this once a year like clockwork, as that's what the UAW contract provided for.

you have no idea what you're talking about.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you have no idea what you're talking about.

yea Izzy is an idiot you should not engage

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i think all the unions should join together into one big union and go on strike until the capitalists agree to give up and stop being rich

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

i think all the unions should join together into one big union and go on strike until the capitalists agree to give up and stop being rich

This except they should give all their money to me.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

thanks for the ancedotal evidence. there is totally no concrete proof that big business is corrupt and evil and trying to gently caress their workers over

casual beep
Mar 28, 2015

What am I gonna run around like some teeny bopper somewhere for someone elses money? I make the money man, I roll the nickels. The game is mine. I deal the cards
the union forever

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Xae posted:

In the private sector, (1) "management" (Board of Directors) are elected officials and (2) there is a third party - the Stock Holders. Ostensibly they are represented by the Board of Directors. The problem is a SEVERE conflict of interest. Paying workers decent wages and not treating them like poo poo slows down how quickly the Management can loot the company.

it works fine as long as the federal government doesnt bail out these bozos after the idiot management and the corrupt union jointly run the company into the ground

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

it works fine as long as the federal government doesnt bail out these bozos after they run the company into the ground

pretty sure you have some of that backwards

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Even if this is true, I'm not seeing how it's a bad thing. You can't really blame the unions for the lovely cars GM made.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If unions are so good, why won't the government or at least the Democrats unionize everyone working under them? Makes you think.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
As a worker they help me. I make wayyyyy more money and have many more benefits than a non union worker with the same job. Though it does create a slightly 'stricter' workplace.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

If unions are so good, why won't the government or at least the Democrats unionize everyone working under them? Makes you think.

like 40 percent of govt workers are union and that's a much higher percentage than anywhere else hth

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Blue Train posted:

yea Izzy is an idiot you should not engage

smarter than you, that's for sure.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

As a worker they help me. I make wayyyyy more money and have many more benefits than a non union worker with the same job. Though it does create a slightly 'stricter' workplace.

you wouldn't be making poo poo if unions never existed though.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

smarter than you, that's for sure.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't like unions but if I was in one I would think they're p cool

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm in the only union at our company, watching every other department get slashed by layoffs despite consistently good profits and corporate execs coming and going with multi-million dollar retirements.

Demonachizer posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Christie posted:

I too think workers should have rights unless of course they are my workers.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

People with jobs having fake medical complaints in order to work less oh gee sounds like a union problem somehow.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread