Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Really the best possible result. Take the belt off the part-time champ while still having Brock look like a monster and save us from a Reigns title run. And everyone ends up pissed at Seth, who is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TEGGS posted:

Was the Bray/Taker match good? Did it seem close? I'm rather bummed to see he lost.

He got in some offense, kicked out of a Tombstone, and they did a "crabwalk versus the sit-up" spot. I'd rather he go over, but he looked reasonably credible against Taker and didn't get squashed or anything.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DGib posted:

Yeah I know, I still am into new japan, thats why I said wwe doesn't want me as a fan, not wrestling in general

Watch Lucha Underground too

that goes for everyone, watch LU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Did Nash really tear his quad again because that would've been a perfect capper to the weekend

Didn't look like it, he was walking around fine after that. I think he was just selling

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DGib posted:

sorry for interrupting your percieved hivemind hugbox with a differing opinion I guess

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
(credit Wrasslormonkey for that gif, as usual)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

:unsmith:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Paige looked oddly sad when she hugged AJ twice after they won that match, and she said something to her - some people are saying it looked like "I'm really going to miss you."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zakharov posted:

POLL: BIGGEST WM31 MARK-OUT MOMENT

a) DX/NWO Old Guy Reunion
b) Taker sit-up/Bray crab walk
c) Rollins cashing in and winning
d) RusevTank
e) Ronda Rousey kicking rear end
f) Other

(c) but I marked for all of these things because I am a total mark

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

beggar posted:

AJ has been phoning it in real bad since she's been back, it's clear her heart isn't into it anymore. Much better for her to get out with her psyche intact.

The door would be open for her to come back if she ever wanted to, I would assume.

She also could do well on the indies if she's just fed up with WWE management but still wants to wrestle.

I just rewatched the end of the divas match to see if people are just bullshitting - Paige does look like she's about to cry for a second there when she looks at AJ, and she says something, although I can't read her lips well enough to know what it is. But Paige also could have just been emotionally overwhelmed at getting a Wrestlemania win and the internet could just be internetting, so who knows.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He kinda did, mostly got his rear end kicked then hit his signatures.

I thought it didn't help the "Roman has no moveset" perception when he threw three superman punches and two spears and not much else.

A whip into the ringpost too, I guess.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zakharov posted:

Am I wrong to think of this angle as The Angle For Children? There's nothing unpredictable about it.

Not really. I mean you have Cena, the Make-A-Wish Childrens' Champion at the front of it, and it's USA versus the big evil foreigner, so it's all big unsubtle strokes that kids could understand. The only vaguely unpredictable thing in it how Lana figures in, although after tonight it seems likely she's splitting off. But just because it is an angle for children doesn't necessarily make it a bad angle, I suppose.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

It wouldn't be nearly as awesome if Brock did a bunch of different suplexes instead of just endless Germans.

He does a belly to belly too, and a couple variations like release suplexes. I feel like suplexes inherently have more variation to them visually anyway, and they just look so loving devastating. Brock uses suplexes at this point like normal wrestlers use punches and it makes him really distinctive and scary. I don't think you get that from repeated Superman Punches.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Niwrad posted:

I'm at a point where Undertaker matches aren't about the in-ring stuff, it's about the attraction. He's not going to put a great match on with a 57-year old Sting. And they have zero history together to make it memorable.

You're basically giving fans a chance to see the entrance one last time, the cool spots one last time, and against someone he's probably had the biggest connection to in the company.

Yeah, I don't know who you could put Undertaker up against at this point and actually have a good match, aside from DB who can probably carry a sack of concrete to at least three stars, but there's no history or compelling story there. Kane would make the most sense, especially if they BOTH retired off the match.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TheJoker138 posted:

I could be into this, but only if they somehow both lost.

That was my exact thought. Like they do the cement burial thing again but entomb them both, locked in eternal combat :black101:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tezzor posted:

People have been baselessly speculating that AJ was leaving since before Punk left. It will happen eventually but maybe stop being amateur Zaprueders over video that could mean just about anything

gently caress you Tezzor

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mystery Opponent posted:

So are there scoops about Ronda's appearance? It looked like they were building a future program, but Dana can't be too keen on letting one of his biggest draws working a WWE match

Word is that Dana signed off on it beforehand. I doubt it's actually a future program and not just a one-off Wrestlemania moment, but who knows.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm thinking they do Rock/HHH at either Summerslam or next Mania with Steph and Ronda in the corners.

Oh something like that would make sense, yeah. I was thinking more in terms that it wouldn't be worth it for her to learn to work a WWE match without killing anyone, but for a cornerperson/"do one move to Steph" appearance it would be cool.

zakharov posted:

A band with the drummer from Blink 182 and someone named "Kid Ink."

Also some lady who sang the gedditgedditgedditgo Wrestlemania theme and actually had a lovely voice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Vampiro is still gainfully employed

Vamp's been getting a little better, I'd take him over JBL at this point

brother

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TotalHell posted:

Wank Pheasant

Roman the WANK PHEASAAAANNNT...REEIIGNNNSSSSSS

I smell a repackaging

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cornwind Evil posted:

The main interesting thing is going to be how people react to Reigns when they're not in the middle of a smark black hole.

Really, the man lost at Wrestlemania. What more do you want? You don't have to LIKE him, but how many people actually don't like him and how many are in a mob mentality where they don't ask questions?

They need to take him off TV at this point and repackage him. Or heel turn him. Right now he's a burning trash heap to the audience and they're trying to fix it by throwing more poo poo into the blaze.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Desumaytah posted:

Rollins is my favorite in a way I never knew I wanted.

The character trait of "cowardly, but competent" is exceedingly rare in the pro-wrestling side of fiction, and it is probably my favorite character trait.

Any other heel would have been suplexed into oblivion by an enraged Brock, absolutely unable to land any offensive or defensive moves, or he would have gotten a severe beatdown until his cronies came out to save him. What does Rollins do? Effortlessly backflips a German and then kicks the monster of monsters in the loving face, THEN he gets all insecure and bails.

His little "haha check THAT out...oh gently caress, that didn't even stagger him, run for it" was awesome. And it felt like my experience to date playing Bloodborne.

quote:

One of the awesome things to come from Rollins' character is that he really is that goddamn good (It's why HHH decided to hitch his wagon to him in the first place), but now that he's in a position of authority, he has the option to politic to keep himself in advantageous positions, and he's also good at that, and it's easier, so why not?

This is the guy who nearly killed himself in the Shield doing poo poo like sentons from the titantron or audience balconies that won his team matches. The guy who, in his first few singles matches, nearly beat Super Cena and Super Bryan. This is the guy who kayfabe broke Lesnar's rib and did that goddamn amazing phoenix splash at the Rumble. Sure, he's chicken-making GBS threads, but he doesn't need to, and even he doesn't realize that, and it's great.

It's kind of like WCW Jericho, except he's already the world goddamn champ. I love it.

I said it in the gameday thread, but having someone who is kind of tricky but still competent may be the perfect foil to Brock the Monster. Causing Brock to go crazy and get himself suspended is the most effective thing anyone has done to Brock since he came back.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Smoking Crow posted:

I learned that John Cena loves heel heat

Maybe the smartest thing about Cena is he just loves reaction. I'm sure he'd prefer in an ideal situation to be cheered, but as long as he's getting the crowd to do SOMETHING, he's cool with it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

I do like that about him, but the whole "You're here to have fun and you can say what you want and I respect that because THE WWE UNIVERSE IS THE GREATEST AUDIENCE IN THE WORLD!!!!" shtick is incredibly transparent. Especially since WWE has repeatedly demonstrated that you can't really say whatever you want and they'll actively try to discourage you or take your signs/outfits away if you don't like who they want you to like.

Oh, it's super transparent but at least it's better than getting all salty about a bad crowd reaction.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

It seems a little bizarre to me that if this wasn't a last minute call (as they say in that article) that they wouldn't tell Rollins until the middle of the show.

"We wanted you to surprise...yourself when you ran down to the ring"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ty1990 posted:

I just re-watched Reigns/Lesnar for the 3rd time. The match is awesome. Lesnar is amazing. And you know what? Reigns was really loving good too and he's had 2 great matches in a row now. You can't deny he has talent. Clearly he needs more seasoning but the guy has a bright future.

I can totally deny he has talent. He's mediocre at best.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I'm not convinced he hits the table at all.

It looked to me like he could have just clipped the corner of it (which would probably be more likely to cut him than if he actually smacked fully into it). Or it could have been a blade job.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, he's even got his insurance business all set up and everything for when he retires and has basically said he's ready to at any point. Leaks about salaries are kind of all over the place but by most accounts he's making either close to a million or slightly over, and I can see why he'd hang around and job and do backstage segments for as long as they want to keep dishing out that level of cash. It's not like he has a particularly strong or coherent legacy to protect.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Guess the people saying that they lip read Paige as saying "I'm really going to miss you"' to AJ at the end of Mania may have been on to something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Ready for the debut of SlayJ in Lucha Underground

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Astro7x posted:

Is now the time where we all poo poo on AJ and say how horrible she was or something like that?

I think it's where we reflect on how WWE took someone who's lifelong dream was to be a part of their promotion and crushed it out of her in around five years.

She's pretty good and will make plenty either on the indie circuit or just doing appearances if she still wants to work.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Smoking Crow posted:

AJ didn't give a poo poo about anything at the end I'm glad she's gone and now Charlotte and Sasha Banks will be called up

Or not, whatever

Unfortunately, that means Sasha and Charlotte go from 20 minute slugfests to the patented Diva Distraction Rollup.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
She'll just connect the lines on her neck tattoo to say "S A R A" instead

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not gonna talk about this anymore because I'm jaded by things that have literally nothing to do with WWE so I'm just gonna shut the gently caress up now.

Steph is a piece of poo poo namaste.

My favorite thing about this whole stupid pointless argument is that we saw a heel turn and the emergence of #CorporateFoochs

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

oatgan posted:

its incredibly unprofessional and hosed up for aj to go over in her last match and not do the job for the champ on her way out the door knowing they'd never get that win back

She did wear some Bayley merch, so it balances out

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For gently caress's sake people, do not engage with rovert as if he is a person. Does no one read the NXT thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

the most important part of your post

• Locked thread