Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I vote for anime squad or cliche squad. Already I can feel myself cringing at how formulaic the story/characters/plot will turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From what can be gathered, officer stuff is part of the normal University courses. I actually mentioned that regarding Welkin :v:. The actual Military is anyone voluntarily joining, they just already have the basic training. The Militia was anyone drafted or who volunteered to join the war effort, and it was actually one of the few times it made sense as to why you got teenagers in your anime warzone.

Well, my guess/interpretation was that the university/school stuff would be good enough for someone you would use in emergency, but a full-time junior officer would likely spend more
time on military education/training. Perhaps there is an official explanation somewhere, 'cause your take is also eminently reasonable.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The real difference between a normal Gallian college and Lanseal Military Academy will be aptly demonstrated in what I believe is the next animated cutscene.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So Class G is filled with underachieving misfits with no drive or ambition to speak of? The G must stand for Goons.

It's this reason why I say we call the squad Goons

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, right now I hate Zeri least. By a lot.

He seems to be taking this seriously, he has the brains God gave geese, and when we get the cliched class president rear end in a top hat his response matches the audience.

Can we just off Avan and Cosette right now and leave him to find someone more capable for the other protagonist spots?

Like maybe a rock with googly eyes glued to it?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From what can be gathered, officer stuff is part of the normal University courses. I actually mentioned that regarding Welkin :v:. The actual Military is anyone voluntarily joining, they just already have the basic training. The Militia was anyone drafted or who volunteered to join the war effort, and it was actually one of the few times it made sense as to why you got teenagers in your anime warzone.

Welk's still just an officer in the militia, and the regular army spends the entire game looking down on him. He was mostly just handed the rank because no one else was available for it. It's not a prestigious position. This school is for elite future officers in the real army.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the regular army in Valkyria Chronicles 1 existed solely to be a comically and borderline evilly inept caricature of WWI generals failing to grasp basic tactics and obvious traps and being blithely unconcerned with the well-being of their own men while making GBS threads all over the protagonists despite their obvious success and also the fact that they own a super-tank.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Spoilers, I'm pretty sure no one in this military academy actually graduates into the military. Apparently offscreen they are also studying everything between running small business, medicine and art.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Let me guess - one of them is fencer?

Because that class is pretty awesome.

gently caress yeah. Well, that whole tree. Alexis wound up my MVP more often than not.

I always went with Mod for my squad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the regular army in Valkyria Chronicles 1 existed solely to be a comically and borderline evilly inept caricature of WWI generals failing to grasp basic tactics and obvious traps and being blithely unconcerned with the well-being of their own men while making GBS threads all over the protagonists despite their obvious success and also the fact that they own a super-tank.

I thought they existed to make the 40K Imperial Guard high command look good.

Edit: And, since we're a group of ill trained conscripts expected to achieve the impossible, I say we go with something morale raising.

The Suicide Squad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I thought they existed to make the 40K Imperial Guard high command look good.

Edit: And, since we're a group of ill trained conscripts expected to achieve the impossible, I say we go with something morale raising.

The Suicide Squad.

There's no death in this game. You can send everyone straight into a wall of bullets and they'll just end up in the hospital for a couple of days. Their biggest fear is being bullied by the preppies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

There's no death in this game. You can send everyone straight into a wall of bullets and they'll just end up in the hospital for a couple of days. Their biggest fear is being bullied by the preppies.

Which is a real shame considering the first game had permanent death and this batch of disposable meatshields is a lot less likeable.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Then again everyone just restarted the mission if they ever actually managed to get a character killed, so why bother.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lack of permadeath also opens up the avenue of being suicidal with your troops.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Not that it matters when the whole sub-map system already lets you freely teleport your dudes around the map. No one is so far from help that you'd actually have to think about keeping your formation safe.

Which is probably the main reason why the handheld versions of the gameplay were never as good as the first game. That, and the way the bases are set up basically make them unconquerable unless you actually leave them undefended.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BioMe posted:

Spoilers, I'm pretty sure no one in this military academy actually graduates into the military. Apparently offscreen they are also studying everything between running small business, medicine and art.

VC3 main character does (though that's before this game happens).

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
They shall be known as Kawaii Squad!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Six character limit? I guess the ever-classy Dikbut Squad will hae to do.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

So the prestigious and highly selective military academy, whose application exams are so strict that multiple people have expressed amazement our main character successfully got in, has an entire class of people it considers utterly incompetent and worthless and whose teacher openly declares them to have no actual motivation to be here. And at least three of the people in the class were sent there directly from their exam.

Why...why didn't they just not accept them? Is there some quota of anime cliches they had to meet or something?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nick Buntline posted:

Why...why didn't they just not accept them? Is there some quota of anime cliches they had to meet or something?

They're Avan, Colette and a Darcsen. The former two, they probably got the bare minimum in the exams. The latter does not deserve this, but Darcsen.

Brains, for the thing Zeri so wishes anyone else in the class had.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nick Buntline posted:

So the prestigious and highly selective military academy, whose application exams are so strict that multiple people have expressed amazement our main character successfully got in, has an entire class of people it considers utterly incompetent and worthless and whose teacher openly declares them to have no actual motivation to be here. And at least three of the people in the class were sent there directly from their exam.

Anime school cliche: there will always be a class where all the rejects end up because while they may be considered incompetent and bad at life, truth is they just lack motivation and the school cannot deny their talent. The arrival of the main characters sets off the impetus of the class to gain or direct what motivation they have and it turns out the misfit class is in fact the best class in the school because their flaws were exaggerated.

Avon and Colette likely tested directly into Class G, though Zeri being there is probably because he's abrasive as all getout and the test instructors noticed this and stuck him in there too. (I still really like Crispin Freeman's work on him though.)

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I think it's more that they are in dire need of professional soldiers, the last war killed a large portion and there is a civil war on, they can't be all that picky about who they accept. A trained soldier is better than a farmer who knows which end is which on the gun, even if they wouldn't be the best soldier in the world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xelada posted:

I think it's more that they are in dire need of professional soldiers, the last war killed a large portion and there is a civil war on, they can't be all that picky about who they accept. A trained soldier is better than a farmer who knows which end is which on the gun, even if they wouldn't be the best soldier in the world.

Even that doesn't work because everyone is a professional soldier. It's part of the bog-standard education that everyone in Gallia gets. The Militia was just made up of everyone smart enough to go do something else instead of make a career of being a soldier.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
G obviously is for Goon.

This game is way more anime than the first one. I didn't think it would be possible.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Goon Squad is my first choice, but I'll gladly accept Anime Squad otherwise.

Just want to see if the fighting is better in VC2 because in VC1 it was completely illogical and mostly consistant in objective grabbing with little strategy. More classes = more strategy?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even that doesn't work because everyone is a professional soldier. It's part of the bog-standard education that everyone in Gallia gets. The Militia was just made up of everyone smart enough to go do something else instead of make a career of being a soldier.

The militia is supposed to be basically like a reservist army though. And if you were a reservist you'd find the idea that you are professional soldier pretty funny.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is a massive difference between a conscript/reservist and an actual professional solider.

And all the actual professional soliders got blown up by Selvaria in the last game. We are the people who's goal in life is to replace General Goon from the last game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Isara Squad.

Because seriously, gently caress the South.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Glazius posted:

Isara Squad.

Second that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

Isara Squad.

Yeah, I'm changing my vote to this

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Time for a little bit of a Seiyuu Trivia to support Crispin's badass role.

Avan's VA is Hiroyuki Yoshino. Known for voicing Alleluah Baptism in Gundam 00

Cosette's VA is Eri Kitamura. She was cast for Queens Blade's Alleyne and Tora Dora's Ami

Zeri' VA is Hiroshi Kamiya. He was most well known as Tieria Erde in Gundam 00.

Lawerence Kluviert is voiced by the late Takeshi Aono. We all knew him as Roy Cambell from Metal Gear

Hubert Brixham is voiced by Ryotaro Okiayu. He was voice cast as Treize from Gundam Wing as well as Andy Waltfield from Gundam Seed

Juliana Everhart is voiced by Ryoko Shiraishi. She voiced Anew Returner from Gundam 00, Asuka Kazama from Tekken as well as acted a indie VA for Gunhound Ex As the main heroine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Meet Class G

Well, in a game completely about the cliches, might as well go with the forum cliche as well.

Understood. Then let's begin our lesson. Class, get out your books.

So Avan being the leader means that if he's deployed at the start of a mission, we get 1 extra CP each turn he's on the field. So there's literally no reason not to have him out, unless he's about to die or something.

Titles are what they are. They're just fun adjectives you put before and after the squad title. They don't actually do anything mechanically. Today we got:
-Promising
-Dream
-Light
-Clockwork
-Fairplay
-Elite
-Sprinters

So the next mission is available in the Briefing Room, but there's a bunch of yellow exclamation marks around the school. They're basically side-events, and you can guess what they'll be for newly elected Supreme Leader Avan Hardins.

Dang, the drill ground is huge. Hm? Isn't that...?

Yo, Avon! Used to campus life yet?

Getting there! You guys are all in my class, right?

These guys are Class G's lancers. My name's Reiner Tristan. I enlisted to keep the folks back home safe.

I want this war to end so we can all get back to playing ball already.

I look forward to serving with you!

The rocket lances we use are your best bet against enemy tanks. We also wear heavier armor to shield us from explosions.

Good to know. And good to know I've got you guys in my corner!

Lancers are basically only useful against vehicles. Their rocket launchers heavily damages tanks when they hit the bright blue spot in the back (don't ask), most likely destroying it in one blow. The downside is that Lancers are horrible for anything else, as their aim makes Shocktroopers look like snipers and do meh damage against soldiers.

Their armor is blast-protective, meaning stepping over a mine or being hit by an opposing rocket won't do nearly as much damage. That also means two Lancers can't really kill each other, though getting in that mirror match is dumb to get into the first place.

Wow, the academy's got its own entire hospital.

Mm? Hey, it's the new kid. Over here, Avan!

Yo! You guys are, er....

We're Class G's squad of engineers. My name is Randy Hamsun. I'm just relieved to have the class chair decided. I look forward to great things from you, Avan!

I-I'll try my best not to get in the way!

And I have to say, I'm not impressed. Hayseeds like you aren't my type.

A seductress, I totally did not expect that right away at all

Goddamnit

Ha ha! Poor Magari, she's terribly shy, but she'll warm up to you soon.

I hope so, because that was a more than little awkward.

Anyway, you can count on us engineers for medical support in the field. We can use ragnoid to heal people from afar.

I'll bank on that! Thanks in advance for keeping us all alive!

I already said my peace on Engineers, but if you somehow forgot, it went something like this:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no

Oh my god there's still 3 more

Ugh, lost again. This stupid campus is way too big!

Yo, Avan! What's up, man?

Hey, you guys are from my class. You're... Who are you again?

I'm Joachim Osen, man! These guys here are all Class G's armored techs.

It'd be great if you remembered me. Or at least just the name.

I look forward to seeing you prove yourself worthy of command.

Pay no mind to me. ...I'm a Darcsen.

drat, so our own class was pulling Darcsen fear right in front of at least two girls.

We are the squad's shield. We can deflect frontal fire without flinching. We're also trained to safely disarm land mines.

And try to remember us next time, man!

Hah, I think I got it. Thanks for the intros. It's good to meet you!

So if you still don't know why I think Engineers are bad, it's because any other relative use they had back in VC1 is now regulated to Armored Techs. Armored Techs are unique in having melee weapons (they basically swing hammers), though they're bad at killing in one turn for the most part. That's basically the worst part about them, is that they're more utility units.

What do they do otherwise? Clean up mines, repair sandbags, still have long-range offense in Grenades, have a Blast suit, and also they have a giant loving shield...that deflects all interception attacks. They are the closest to having unlimited HP if you angle the shield right, though their AP isn't the greatest. If nothing else, they are great Camp capture characters by getting to a place healthy and chucking a grenade to move an enemy out of the way.

So, this is the mess hall! Heh, good, I'm starving.

I'm sorry, what

Oh, I don't like the look of this....

I don't think we've been properly introduced yet, dude. I'm Lanseal's top scoop-hunter, Lotte Netzel!

Um... My sister is a shocktrooper here, too. Nice to meet you...

The thought of serving under your command is... Bah.

Oh, goody

Hee hee...Your back's wide open. Hardins. You could get shot...*vanishes*

What?!

Don't let her get to you, dude. That's just her way of saying hi.

Us scouts are super mobile and we're good at sighting enemies, too.

I'll remember that. It's good to know I've got you guys with me!

Scout is Avan's starting class, and generally do what they're called. They have the highest AP, thus being able to travel the farthest and perfect for Camp hopping.

They're low on defensive stats, but their offense is quite decent. The rifle is good enough to one-turn kill half the enemies, while having range that can allow them to beat Shocktroopers one-on-one at the right distance. They also have grenades. Not as useful as in VC1 because the smaller maps give less advantage for having a large AP pool.

We're almost done here

All right, what was the next class again?

You're Hardins, yes? A moment, please.

Huh? You look familiar...Are you in--?

But I thought I still ought to introduce the class shocktroopers.

Huh. Why does that girl on the left look familiar....

OH NO.

NONONONONONONO

I'm content to welcome you into my horde of adoring fans.

I trust we'll set along famously.

So, are you one of--

Hmph. *Leaves*

And there he goes. That was typical Erik. Erik Kampmann. He can't even spell the word teamwork, and he's always getting in fights.

All right, we can work on that, I guess.

We shocktroopers' stamina and firepower make us the nemeses of foot soldiers. Try to remember that if you have any intention of commanding this squad.

Heh, leave it to me, and I'll leave the firefights to you!

Shocktrooper is what Zeri is, and is basically the best overall anti-soldier character. There are some classes that are better one-turn killers than Shocktroopers, but they combine the decent range, massive firepower, Grenade utility, and above-average defensive stats with decent AP. In this game, they are the jack-of-all trades if you want units to survive and kill really well.

And we are done with meeting all of Class G. That was a thing.

Juli sketches and clothing

wait...why does that say-

HUH. OKAY.

NOPE, WHAT WOULD GIVE YOU THAT IDEA???

Tae fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 5, 2015

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I got to respect that art book, at least it's honest behinds it's intention of it's characters design.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

weso12 posted:

I got to respect that art book, at least it's honest behinds it's intention of it's characters design.

People who make porn for a living usually are.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

What do they do otherwise? Clean up mines, repair sandbags, still have long-range offense in Grenades, have a Blast suit, and also they have a giant loving shield...that deflects all interception attacks. They are the closest to having unlimited HP if you angle the shield right, though their AP isn't the greatest. If nothing else, they are great Camp capture characters by getting to a place healthy and chucking a grenade to move an enemy out of the way.

Ahahaha loving rip engineers.

BioMe posted:

People who make porn for a living usually are.

That's most artists' bread-and-butter. Especially in Japan. It's honestly really common and not that weird.

The bigger problem is that this is all what they say about the characters. Unlike in P3's artbook, which talks about things like Junpei's combat stance and each individual character's clothing preferences, this is mostly about overall design and bust sizes. So far only Zeri's art page has shown anything close to an actual theme, and that is still mostly "he's a darcsen ergo he has darcsen knickknacks"
This is the design equivalent of cheap oatmeal. Sure it might have some embellishments, but it's still the same tasteless stodge served everywhere.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tae posted:

I really miss having mine clearers that could move farther than the tank, fortunatly mines haven't shown up very often as far as I've gotten in the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It probably doesn't need to be noted, but these are only the basic, starter classes. Snipers still exist. And are probably better because of the smaller maps and instant deploying.

Tae posted:

The downside is that Lancers are horrible for anything else, as their aim makes Shocktroopers look like snipers and do meh damage against soldiers.

Unless I'm misremembering, Lancers can actually one-shot most soldiers if they get a head shot (which means they do effectively the same damage as a sniper). They just have really bad aim so it's hard to get head-shots even at short range.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The range that a Lancers has to be to reliably headshot a soldier is basically a range even an Engineer can kill, or an Armored Tech can reach. Another advantage I didn't mention for Armored Tech is that their swing covers a 180 arc, so you can hit multiple bunched up units together if the situation arises. Also, their melee destroys sandbags so you can save up your grenades later that turn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

The range that a Lancers has to be to reliably headshot a soldier is basically a range even an Engineer can kill, or an Armored Tech can reach. Another advantage I didn't mention for Armored Tech is that their swing covers a 180 arc, so you can hit multiple bunched up units together if the situation arises. Also, their melee destroys sandbags so you can save up your grenades later that turn.

Yeah, but armor techs can't kill soldier in one turn no matter what they do, so that's sort of an advantage for lancers, technically. If you just happen to have a lancer there already or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Anisette has a sound clip where she just screams and that is my second favorite sound in the game after Avan's laugh.

• Locked thread