Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for showing me the sequel to one of my favorite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rebel Assault

A couple new missions are available to us now, as well as the ability to carry over class Potentials.

Double red exclamation points are story progressions. Basically do everything else first before activating those. Anyways, time for class.

*time passes*

Barf. History is like my worst subject.

Don't be so modest, Avan. I'm sure you're equally bad at all of them.

Hey, shut up!

Mm? Avan, you dropped this photo.

Oh. man! Thanks for catching that. It must've fallen out of my notebook.

Yup! That's my big bro, Leon! He's amazing at everything. He's totally my hero.

I mean, he's strong, super dependable, and smart too! And he's like the nicest--

Pipe down. Class is about to start.

*Large wave of bells suddenly toll*

It sounds like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usE5NxYhNBU

I like how casually they're walking up to a cache of rocket launchers and grenades like it's lunchtime.

The Lanseal Royal Military Academy is responsible for policing southern Gallia. It falls on us to address any threats that arise in our Jurisdiction.

Man, I have so many questions on this logic...

But wait, you can't mean--Are you saying that we cadets are expected to fight unassisted?

I am Zeri, apparently.

That is correct.

What?! But that's...we're not...

The Militia can only be summoned against invasion. This is internal. That leaves you cadets. The creme de la cremeeof Gallia's youth.

OKAY. So I get why the military would be unable to fight off another war. But then he just goes "No, they wouldn't fight anyway because it's an internal affair." So either we have the most badass single Academy (that's one, one academy in the entire country) that is staving off an entire southern half of the country of Rebel faction. OR, the rebels are really just shits pretending to be revolutionary.

Except we will soon see the Rebels are far more equipped and advanced than the Empire did back in VC1, so....?????

But...

War is not so kind as to spare those with no will to fight.

Rrgh, I guess there's no getting around it.

Meet me in the briefing room as soon as you're prepared to leave.

As class chair, command in the field falls to you, Avan.

Right, I gotcha.

Your mission today is to drive the rebels back out of the Arlem region. Intel from our vanguard unit reports a tank within the enemy squad

They've got a tank?! What do you expect a pack of foot soldiers to do?

Why do I smell a Lancer tutorial coming up....

I expect you to win. Thinking of how to so about that is your job.

That's easy for you to say! Their lives are all hanging on this!

Such is the nature of war. The exact same applies to the rebels as well. If you don't wipe them out, they'll gladly see you dead.

You act like it's easy. Fine! I'll set us through this without a scratch.

Heh heh. I look forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NvGJpyT5HE

Man, gently caress these guys

Because they have the DUMBEST hats

Treated like objects, just because they're Darcsens...

Hey! We've got an incoming rebel squad!

We'll never make it against a group that big. We're all gonna die.

You're a goddamn Armored Tech, Morris. You are severely equipped to tank a tank :mad:

Okay, everybody calm down! We'll all be fine. It'll work out, don't worry.

"It'll work out"? How can you say that with no grounds to back it up?

"The most violent waves lay bore a man's worth the fastest"

I think Leon wrote that while he was drunk

Those are my brother's words. New listen good--you give up and it's over. And if I know anything, it's that we weren't meant to die here today. That means we can't give up, which means we fight! Those are my grounds.

I like how none of this long setup involved just saying to save the Darcens.

You're right. Right, everybody? We can do this, together! It's like Avon says. So long as we don't give up, there's still hope. Combat is scary, but... We all have to do our part for any of us to survive.

Just how exactly is that speech supposed to get us through this alive? An appeal to emotion and some circular reasoning? You've got to be kidding.

So. what? You have a better plan, dude?

That's probably at the top of their chain of command, issuing orders. Destroy that tank, and you behead the squad.

So Zeri kindly sat through that long rear end speech about nothing, while he was figuring out how to blow up a tank. I think Avan indirectly got a few more Darcens killed with that speech's length.

B-but how?

There.

Right. I saw several of them littered about the area. Fueling stations for the villagers’ farm equipment, I'd wager. If we lure the tank near those containers, then set them off with gunfire...

That's perfect! We can use the blast to take out the tank!

Zeri, you're a genius!

Observation and logic will always yield a solution. Those are my grounds.

So now we're going to save the Darcens, right?

Nope.

Avan's going to change to a Shocktrooper since he's already learned basic Scout's Potential. Also level up Armored Tech just cause.

And another free mission pops up. The Darcen/Rebel thing will be frozen forever in time until we select it, so Avan can just do a quick skirmish and sleep before the real story battle.

Just a regular kill-everyone type mission, with 2 maps connecting to each other.

This mission is the first to let us deploy units from a different spawn point. The 2nd deployment is tricky because it's not on a base, so choosing units for those spots actually matter a lot.

Lotte and Zeri shoot a couple dudes down to start things off.

Meanwhile, Avan is taking care of his side by shooting and grenading. Grenades one-shot kill crouchers in this mission, so this is going to go a lot quicker than normal.

Or it could be those drilling ground levels working, because Armored Techs one-shotting is not a common sight.

Rest of the map is pretty standard sight-kill, except a couple of enemies are hiding in the grass. Grenades one-shot them for now though, so it's not that bothersome.

Helmut is voiced by Steve Blum because of course.

3 Turns for getting an A. Still can't afford that new armor though....

Lancers get a level up since we're facing a tank next turn. Now it's time to turn in and sleep and get back to that frozen village to save!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGB1AE8v6q8
Detailed design notes on Zeri and Cosette

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tae posted:

The Militia can only be summoned against invasion. This is internal. That leaves you cadets. The creme de la cremeeof Gallia's youth.

OKAY. So I get why the military would be unable to fight off another war. But then he just goes "No, they wouldn't fight anyway because it's an internal affair." So either we have the most badass single Academy (that's one, one academy in the entire country) that is staving off an entire southern half of the country of Rebel faction. OR, the rebels are really just shits pretending to be revolutionary.

Except we will soon see the Rebels are far more equipped and advanced than the Empire did back in VC1, so....?????

He says the Militia wouldn't fight anyway. The Militia is entirely separate from the Army. It's implied that the ragged remnants of the Army is trying to stop the Rebellion but need all the help they can get.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

He says the Militia wouldn't fight anyway. The Militia is entirely separate from the Army. It's implied that the ragged remnants of the Army is trying to stop the Rebellion but need all the help they can get.

Except he said Southern Gallia aka Rebel territory falls under the academy to fight and protect. Zeri calls him out on it when he confirms they're going to fight alone against the rebel invasion. Army is doing nothing at anything below the half line.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is Zeri acting so smug? He got shoved into goon squad with the rest of the gently caress ups. He doesn't really have any room to talk about being better. Unless he got put in because of his :qq: BLUE HAIR :qq: but I thought we were the not-racists.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is Zeri acting so smug? He got shoved into goon squad with the rest of the gently caress ups. He doesn't really have any room to talk about being better. Unless he got put in because of his :qq: BLUE HAIR :qq: but I thought we were the not-racists.

Just like the civil war in America, it is not not-racists vs. racists, it is less-racist vs. super-racist. There are plenty of people in our very own squad and north Gallia in general that still are willing to treat Darcens like poo poo. They are just not going over-the-top murder spree like the Rebels.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess Gallia's army was nuked by Selvaria in VC1 and they still haven't managed to...yeah I dunno.

Gotta admit though, didn't expect a CG of armored soldiers killing unarmed civilians. Sad to say that's the first thing that makes me respect the game more so far.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
This game for me was Marion and :killdozer:'s fabulous adventure.

Marion owns.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So why can't Engineers do engineer things in VC2 versus VC1?

Do they not trust military recruits with the magic wire cutters that restore sandbags, disable mines, and repair tanks?

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 5, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

armored techs do that now

basically they split class mechanics but accidentally forgot to leave engineers anything that isn't being a shittier scout

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunethex posted:

Do they not trust military recruits with the magic wire cutters that restore sandbags, disable mines, and repair tanks?

Would you trust anime highschoolers with the care and maintenance of heavy machinery?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Would you trust anime highschoolers with the care and maintenance of heavy machinery?

They have grenades and rocket launchers in their school lockers

Also at least a quarter of the class is older than 19

Cake Attack posted:

did VC3 even have engineers? since i never would have tried to use them i can't be sure, but i swear they just completely cut them out and replaced with armor techs

Yeah, they're still there. They are made more useful because of how the class system works and also nerfed Fencers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

did VC3 even have engineers? since i never would have tried to use them i can't be sure, but i swear they just completely cut them out and replaced with armor techs

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes.

But in all seriousness, it would have made a lot more sense to scrap the Engineer in lieu of Armored Tech and make a medic class since they also decided only engineers were allowed to use the light bulb of healing radiance.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lunethex posted:

The Armored Techs stole them and Engineers have dinky little pistols. They stand no chance vs. the shields and warhammer/picks of Armored Techs, so they haven't managed to get their pliers back.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

They kept Engineers but let them also use the instruments as well. The best music buffs somehow increase the ammo in your clip so it's pretty loving good for snipers and the 3-burst rifles of unparalleled precision and destruction.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah

vc3 actually has pretty good class balance. i never gave engineers a fair shot but beyond that every class is pretty good and has it's uses

except ironically for fencers, who are broken in this game and pure trash in 3.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
Question time: Are those anthem classes the engineers have any good? From what I've heard it's effects are AOE so if any of the buffs are actually worthwhile, it might be somewhat useful on the first turn when your units are cluttered together (then retreating back to base probably)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

oh yeah

vc3 actually has pretty good class balance. i never gave engineers a fair shot but beyond that every class is pretty good and has it's uses

except ironically for fencers, who are broken in this game and pure trash in 3.

On the flipside, they can use the Crowbar which one shots most anything in the game :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Liberating Arlem

Alright, time to actually save the Darcsens. Most story missions will have mandatory deployment, which is kinda annoying when some of them are in non-camp deployment spots.

Mission's a 3-map layout, with ragna crates being a special item introduced. These things can be destroyed with gunfire, and the explosion deals a lot of damage to anything in the immediate area.

Zeri and Cosette are forced deployed on the 1st map, while Avan is forced on map 3.

This is the first map to introduce multiple camp gates to the same area. Map 1 leads to a more frontal assault to map 4 with the tank ready to attack, while map 3's camp gate leads behind enemy lines.

Lots of soldiers defending the front Camp Gate, possibly more that's out of sight once we get closer.

This is the map that contains the tank hidden here. The Camp Gate on the bottom is Zeri and Cosette's target, while the one behind a building is Avan's.

Avan's journey looks easier, but obviously there's a bunch of enemies between him and the enemy base. At least he's a Shocktrooper so he can take any abuse head-on fine.

Yep.

Oh dear, this will take a bit of extra elbow grease for Avan.

Avan explodes a commander's cover and gets into camp himself to set up for a bunch of counterattack kills.

Zeri travels through the grass to avoid interception fire, but even then when spotted gets a big defensive boost.

Now, time to blow up the container for a cool explosive kill!

...Huh

...really

So that was 4 CP well spent. At least he...captured a base?

A really good enemy turn for us. About 5 killed during counterattacks, making the next turn an easier path to capture.

Avan captures the backend Camp Gate at the start of turn 2.

Now we'll compare the front entrance vs. the back.

Jo throws a nade to clear out the back entrance, and you can see how miniscule the damage a grenade does to him from the splash back.

Jo uses his remaining AP to scout ahead and spot 3 enemies guarding the bridge. Most direct paths will be like this, heavily guarded compared to the alternate entrance.

Eh, Helmut will try to go through the front anyway and least locates the tank we have to destroy. He notches a quick kill before getting back to a sandbag for defense.

Since I have until the end of turn 3 to destroy the tank, I'm just going to spend some excess on killing stuff for class materials. MIGHT AS WELL.

"You chose Engineer? Here, have lowered weapon accuracy for the turn! Bwuahahahha" -Valkyria Chronicles 2

The enemy's turn rolls around, and the tank spots Helmut. I'm sure he's fine, though. He's crouching and tanks have poo poo aim from long dista

poo poo

Well uh...I did that on purpose you see! To show you that hospitalize costs 2 CP...yeah

Okay, just gonna not mess around anymore and end the mission. Lancers deal immense damage to vehicles with their rocket launchers, but hitting the blue radiator is basically a one-shot kill.

Oh yeah, Zeri's plan was something about the raditor boxes...hmm. Weird, I thought there would be a Lancer tutorial or at least one about the blue radiator.

So if you hadn't noticed, doing any extra things that doesn't involve doing the objective faster (capturing a base) is basically a pittance of money and EXP.

I still can't believe we really beat the rebels all by ourselves.

We did it, Avan!

Course we did! I told you guys we could do this! And thanks, Zeri.

For what?

I never would have come up with that plan. You saved the day, man.

The plan we never used. :ssh:

I just offered a bit of logic. You might try it yourself sometime.

Don't you start, now. It's Class G's first victory! How's about a smile? *Portrait constantly bumps up to Zeri*

Wha--? Stop that! Get your muddy mitts off my face!

*both portraits constantly rubbing against Zeri*

No! S-Stop it. Cosette! Enough already, you two!

*Moments later*

I'm pleased to see your first operation end in success, Avan. Class G, you are clear to return to Lanseal.

Roger that. All right guys, time to go home!

Aye aye, sir!

Battle Blunders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ATrI5tsMc

Scout Armor design

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's something immensely jarring about bog standard, unironic anime tropes moments after A: Our characters have just killed people for the first time and B: They also just witnessed honest to god crazy ethnic cleansing poo poo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

So does Cosette ever become useful or is she just a weight tied to your ankle for the entire game?

Night10194 posted:

There's something immensely jarring about bog standard, unironic anime tropes moments after A: Our characters have just killed people for the first time and B: They also just witnessed honest to god crazy ethnic cleansing poo poo

YEAH BUT WE BLEW UP A TANK WOOOOOO! Hey Helmut did you see how- oh right he's bleeding out back at base.

....WOO!! :haw:

VVV I thought for a second maybe those buffing subclasses might be slightly less awful. At least if you give Cosette a trumpet she won't find a way to shoot herself in the foot with it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 5, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Avan killed a bunch of rebels by himself in the opening mission.

Internet Kraken posted:

So does Cosette ever become useful or is she just a weight tied to your ankle for the entire game?

You're basically asking if Engineers are ever useful.

What do you think.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tae posted:

Scout Armor design

You want camouflage? Better start grinding XP. :colbert:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tae posted:

The enemy's turn rolls around, and the tank spots Helmut. I'm sure he's fine, though. He's crouching and tanks have poo poo aim from long dista

You mentioned this before too when you were surprised that a crouching guy took full damage - crouching only reduces damage if whatever you're crouching behind is between the attacker and you. You can see in the screenshot that you were crouching on the outside of the sandbags, so there was no damage reduction. It's one of the things that makes scouts slightly better (though still not great) since they can often use their extra AP to run around behind sandbags to shoot enemies and not have to deal with the damage reduction.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh hey. I knew skipping VC2 and moving on straight to 3 is a good idea. This LP comes just in time :)

Typos:

Tae posted:

I already said my peace on Engineers,

Us scouts are super mobile and we're good at sightins enemies, too.

Tae posted:

This attack doesn't even register as damage, and really most units can't outside of snipers.

Umm... I kinda gave up at "combat preparation of battles". Sorry.

(English is my third language as well, so I know this can be kinda annoying, but still.)

-Troika- posted:

It's possible to beat this game with literally nothing but Stormtroopers and Armored Techs (and variants thereof). :negative:
That's 1 class more than you need to beat VC1.

Night10194 posted:

Compare and contrast with VC1's opening missions - which are also cliche filled, but... at least use the right cliches?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 5, 2015

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Surprisingly, yeah, she becomes pretty amazing for an engineer, when right now she's crap even for one. In this game when the characters unlock their secret potential it replaces a negative one, and for Cosette it means going from one of the worst to one of the best.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, it'd be real nice if you could have Cosette start along another class line...

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, it'd be real nice if you could have Cosette start along another class line...

Then again buffs are actually pretty cool when you get them as free action, so it might be worth to send her against the weaker targets in case that activates.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Gotta admit though, didn't expect a CG of armored soldiers killing unarmed civilians. Sad to say that's the first thing that makes me respect the game more so far.

It's just your standard Kick the Puppy trope. We need to know just how evil the bad guys are so that we're immediately set up as the "good guys" regardless of what we ourselves might do. They did the exact same thing in VC1; the first thing we ever see the enemy do is committing war crimes by gunning down unarmed civilians. If anything, this one toned it down just a hair because there's no pregnant mother figure to beat up like in VC1.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

weso12 posted:

Question time: Are those anthem classes the engineers have any good? From what I've heard it's effects are AOE so if any of the buffs are actually worthwhile, it might be somewhat useful on the first turn when your units are cluttered together (then retreating back to base probably)

Depends on how you play. If you have the self-control to not, say, use a save state and take things a bit more slow and gradually instead of gamey they help, definitely in the latter stages of bullshit. That means grinding up an engineer and making them the star of a mission several times in a row, however.

it isn't worth it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always used Engineers to capture unguarded bases, because why not? They never ended up useful though, even when promoted.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

YEAH BUT WE BLEW UP A TANK WOOOOOO! Hey Helmut did you see how- oh right he's bleeding out back at base.

....WOO!! :haw:

VVV I thought for a second maybe those buffing subclasses might be slightly less awful. At least if you give Cosette a trumpet she won't find a way to shoot herself in the foot with it.

All of the squadmates have a negative potential until you complete their personal mission. Sadly Cossette and Zeri is campaign based.

And Lanseal is more like a more looser version of west point

And VC3 also vives us the token Darscen force that refuses to be treated like dogs to offset the abuse they had received in the previous games In an half hearted attempt to go "not all Darscen are scared cowards whos only purpose is target practice"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

gyrobot posted:

And VC3 also vives us the token Darscen force that refuses to be treated like dogs to offset the abuse they had received in the previous games In an half hearted attempt to go "not all Darscen are scared cowards whos only purpose is target practice"
Someone on the development team was browsing wikipedia, stumbled across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising and had a metal gear ! appear over their head. The rest is history anime.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with Engineers and specifically Cosette is that, in a game all about CP efficiency to get the best grade, buffing and debuffing is mediocre to bad when very rarely do you have a bunched up group.

If this was a game that rewarded kills over speed, she'd be....well, still not useful because VC2's whole Retreat/Standby system is more than enough healing. Healing vehicles is probably the only other time you'll use them, and only if they're nearby a base.

And of course, the biggest reason not to bother with Engineers is because of how the class upgrade system works and the grind it would take to have one promote 2 tiers, while there is actual benefit to having different branches of Scouts, Shocktroopers, and Armored Techs.

Did I mention Avan has to go through the upgrade path every time he switches classes? So if you change your mind about Avan while he's in a 3rd tier, guess what.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It must be a VC classic at this point to get your unit sniped by enemy tanks despite the odds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

After liberating a village and preventing the daily genocide, February rolls around to commence more stuff to do. A LOT of stuff to do.

The leva-what now?

A tournament, Cosette. Classes face each other in mock combat. It's a good test of class performance, and one of Lanseal's oldest traditions.

That sounds pretty cool.

Oh, it sounds like a real blast. I can"t wait to lose miserably.

Seriously, bro. How's a guy supposed to fight if he knows he can't win?

I just want to point out that these people are more worried of a mock battle tournament than fighting a rebellion that is sweeping the nation with genocidal tenancies.

*avan goes into deep thought*

lf we win, the rest of the academy will have to respect us. Right?

That'd sure be nice. Yeah! So long as we're in it, let's go for the top!

There's no sense in competing otherwise. This once, I'll agree with you.

Heh heh. Well. I have a little present for you in light of your optimism. Head down to the R&D building to collect it.

Well that's nice of Hubert. Maybe it's a new gun, or some free armor!

:doh: Yes, Avan. Hubert sent you to pick up a machine gun sandwich.

Oh, wow. You're the chair of Class G. kid?

What? Oh, you're the girl who's always in here, huh?

What?! Hey!

Anyway, my name's Lavinia. Lavinia Lane. I'm Class G's tank Pilot.

Tank pilot? Wait, we have a tank?!

And where the gently caress was this last mission???

There's that intelligence again. Heh. Every class here gets one tank. I hear a lot of rumors about you Class G kids. None of 'em are good.

Gah! Fine, all right! Well, my name is Avan Hardins. Nice to meet ya.

Hardins? As in...Never mind. Anyway, best of luck and all that.

I guess first off the tank'll be needing a name.

What, I get to name it?

Hey, you're the chair. Just try not to pick anything dumb, okay?

I make no promises

Okay! We'll go with that!

All right. You got any questions about the tank, you come ask me. Got it?

Got it. Thanks, Lavinia!

So we just got a tank and pilot for it. I think that helps a bit for the tournament, maybe.

Revisiting the R&D unlocks something else as well.

Huh? What's up?

I've been analyzing data from Class G...And I figured out how to develop a new weapon.

Are you serious, Lavinia? Man, we'll be unstoppable now!

Yay, more stuff to grind to....

Finally can afford the next armor, despite that it's only 1 more point of front defense. At least it makes frontal approaches easier, especially for Avan who's already probably the tankiest outside of Armored Techs.

Mod Vehicle option is the meat of the mech options. Body is the base of the vehicle, mainly choosing between tanks and APCs. There are different tiers of each type of vehicle, but we'll get to that when it's available.

Tanks are basically super combat units, with huge defense and firepower that take up 2 CP to use. Efficiency-wise, not that great at first for killing purposes but they have a few benefits.

Pro's
1) Most of the body is basically the Armored Tech's shield, being immune to most infantry fire.
2) Vehicles can knock down soldiers and some obstacles, mainly useful for knocking down sandbags and forcing crawlers in grass to get up.
3) Tanks can be makeshift covers to let more fragile units like Scouts get in to capture bases.
4) Can run over and trigger the smaller mines for virtually no damage, like Lancers.

Con's
1) Lowish AP, since terrain can slow down tanks
2) Being hit in the blue radiator is almost instant kill
3) Cannot capture bases
4) Does not heal every turn unless within a base aura
5) Cannot climb ladders
6) Cannot be deployed on every mission

Other than that, 90% of the time they're just the best combat units.

APCs are an entirely different brand from tanks. They have the ability to carry units, effectively making low AP units like Lancers and Fencers into high mobility units. The downside to carry is that a destroyed APC hospitalizes everyone inside, which is important to remember because APCs are a hell lot weaker than tanks.

You can see by the red and blue numbers compared to a tank. 1 CP is insane for such a super high AP unit (our Scouts right now have 450), and having Off-Road means it doesn't lose AP when traveling off pavement.

Tank turrets usually usually have a mix of ammo types. Anti-Armor is the Lancer rocket ammos, Mortar are basically grenades, and Gatling is the Shocktrooper machinegun. Well kinda, this one only shoots 7 times.

Now the T-MAG is a real machinegun, shooting 30 times and having an A in Suppression (counterattack ability). The downside is that it is only useful for fighting soldiers.

Shoulder, Armor, and Backpack are support items you can attach to your vehicle. They range from making the turret spin faster to counterattack better to making bridges on specific maps.

Markings and Stickers are basically stat bonuses for the tank, ranging from less visibility during certain terrain to anti-personal bonuses.

Right next to Total are 2 blue filled spaces and 2 blank ones. That indicates the weight system VC2 uses to balance out what turret and extra parts you can equip. So some missions you would want the best turret and ignore extra stuff, sometimes you equip the T-MAG because you need space to build a bridge or make things brighter during night missions.

Switching to the APC forces any parts that don't fit it removed, as you can see the Gatling Turret on the top.

That's the basics of it, but there will be a lot more options in the future to talk about.

Tank and APC information

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The tank is the best unit in the game and perfectly capable of soloing whole maps in a 1CP body.

Even now, with absolutely rubbish turrets.

Tank owns.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow the Tournament Arc is upon us already? That was fast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
To give the tournament arc a good reason to win is because of the graduate reputation. If they decided to enlist in the army. Getting a tourney win can give very good promotion aspects as well as a chance of ennoblement.

That said, does West Point have wargames competitions between classes?

• Locked thread