Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The base will now be in Germany, which won with 3 votes and one for Europe, otherwise it was tied with the USA and Siberia+Russia.
The difficulty setting is 5- Superhuman. Good luck, you'll need it.

The council remains divided though, what will our base's name be? It was going to be named NyanComm, with two votes, until the controversial French Councillor RickVoid rescinded his vote. You may choose from these entries:

NyanComm
Vigilo Confido
gently caress off aliens!
A gently caress of Aliens
The People's Republic of Extraterrestrial Management (Shortened on the map to P.R.E.MAN)
CentComm

This vote will continue until Saturday. At that point, we'll get to see the base...

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Ve are going to need to send a sehr strong message. Zerfore I throw my hat in wis:
gently caress off aliens!.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Lets establish clear and consise lines of communication from the get go, I vote for gently caress off Aliens!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This vote will continue until Saturday. At that point, we'll get to see the base...

Also, I support this:

Proposal 72B Live Alien Capture Initiative
For: France - RickVoid

But I don't know if lowly soldiers get a vote. I also support for someone else to do the capturing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

tadashi posted:

But I don't know if lowly soldiers get a vote. I also support for someone else to do the capturing.

Soldiers have no say in politics. However, you are the one who orders your little man so it's up to you whether you capture people or not.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

The only correct option.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The People's Republic of Extraterrestrial Management (Shortened on the map to P.R.E.MAN)

I like the acronym. Lets go with this.

Screw it, A gently caress of Aliens is too good.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Russia will stand behind our allies in Japan, NyanComm

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Extraterrestrische Jagdgesellschaft.

:colbert:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

You can indeed! Hadn't really thought about the pilots to be honest. Would you like a specific callsign, or just your name?

Mexico is not on the council unfortunately, but we appreciate the tequila.

Going with my Flash villain tendency from the other thread, I will do Arrow villains here. So Merlyn.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 2, 2015

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Naturally the Chinese representative would never use language unbecoming of a citizen of the glorious Republic, but we have to agree that gently caress off aliens! is a glorious name for any anti alien movement. We will attempt to brand it to boost funding, heavens know we need it. How does "gently caress of aliens!!"℠ lunchboxes sound?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Heliosmajestus posted:

Naturally the Chinese representative would never use language unbecoming of a citizen of the glorious Republic, but we have to agree that gently caress off aliens! is a glorious name for any anti alien movement. We will attempt to brand it to boost funding, heavens know we need it. How does "gently caress of aliens!!"℠ lunchboxes sound?

Quoting before you can edit out the Engrish.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Quoting before you can edit out the Engrish.

The Chinese representative is unaware of this so called "Engrish" but we will investigate it and terminate it with extreme prejudice!!!!
(Seriously though my English isn't spectacular, so if i make any errors I apologize)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Heliosmajestus posted:

The Chinese representative is unaware of this so called "Engrish" but we will investigate it and terminate it with extreme prejudice!!!!
(Seriously though my English isn't spectacular, so if i make any errors I apologize)

You got it as "gently caress of aliens" for what you're putting on the lunchbox, rather than "gently caress off aliens". Chinese products are notorious for having similar wrong word/poor spelling errors, so I was pointing out something I felt was actually historically appropriate, rather than poking fun at you.

I actually had no idea that English wasn't your first language, so good on you.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013

RickVoid posted:

You got it as "gently caress of aliens" for what you're putting on the lunchbox, rather than "gently caress off aliens". Chinese products are notorious for having similar wrong word/poor spelling errors, so I was pointing out something I felt was actually historically appropriate, rather than poking fun at you.

I actually had no idea that English wasn't your first language, so good on you.

Oh my God, that is awesome!! Engrish for the win!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

A "gently caress of aliens" sounds like some kind of collective noun, like a "murder of crows" or "plague of lawyers."

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 3, 2015

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

TomViolence posted:

A "gently caress of aliens" sounds like some kind of collective noun, like a "murder or crows" or "plague of lawyers."

Sounds about right to me.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Perhaps if we name the base 'A gently caress of Aliens', they will be confused, and think it is one of their own bases.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

64bitrobot posted:

Perhaps if we name the base 'A gently caress of Aliens', they will be confused, and think it is one of their own bases.

The voting has been amended, you may also vote for A gently caress of Aliens.

Savgeir
Dec 23, 2013

Have you appeased the machine spirits today?

Obviously a gently caress of aliens is our best option for confusing and subsequently defeating the alien menace.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I must protest the use of the racist term "Engrish". We must face this alien threat united as one Humanity, and not let our old prejudices split us apart.

That said, I have received word from the Diet that deliberations have concluded; and gently caress off aliens is our official recommendation for the name of our base. The Otaku Coalition has requested that, since the rest of the Diet "refuses to accept the changing face of Japanese culture in the court of international opinion" and did not vote for NyanComm, I put forth the motion that we adopt a mascot character, drawn in the Japanese "anime" style. Such a character is sure to aid recruitment efforts and raise morale, and it is the spirits of the troops that sharpen their swords.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I advocate gently caress off, Aliens! and humbly submit myself to be the council member of Italy

:italy::italy::italy:

Purplebeard
Feb 27, 2014
Given that the base is in Germany, it should be called Außerirdischerausrottungsarmeeausbildungszentrum.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Purplebeard posted:

Given that the base is in Germany, it should be called Außerirdischerausrottungsarmeeausbildungszentrum.

Lose that r and you won't limit us to only killing one alien. But I think we can do a bit better:

Zentrale zur Ausbildung von Soldaten zur Vernichtung von invasiven und unerwünschten extraterrestrischen Wesen.

We Germans aren't just good at ridiculously long compound words.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gently caress of Aliens is too hilarious to pass.

Presumably, a larger group is a clusterfuck of aliens.

Box Of Tissues
Oct 31, 2014
Can I still apply as a soldier? I'll go with C: Have no objection to cloning.
Also the base name "A gently caress of Aliens" has my vote.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

64bitrobot posted:

'A gently caress of Aliens'

The latest novel from George RR Martin.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

If you're willing, I'd like to register as a soldier. I will check B and C-clearly SCIENCE! will keep me alive and kicking throughout this war :science:

Also, I'm voting for A gently caress of Aliens for the fact that the name greatly amuses me.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress off Aliens sounds great.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I will go ahead and vote for A gently caress of Aliens in true South African fashion.

Furthermore, I also am applying to the Engineering department.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Would it be terribly rude of the Chinese representative to change their vote to A gently caress of Aliens?

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

I will place a vote for A gently caress of Aliens

I would also like to put my name in the hat for Base Commander, as we are currently lacking one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

January 1st, 1999. "A gently caress of Aliens" HQ.

The project's humble beginnings are in Europe, as voted by the people. This was done through a global poll of "Which nation do you believe is most likely to be vaporized in alien attacks?" in a science fiction magazine. The council itself had little input on the matter, as their voting power was not yet decided by the project heads. This has changed. All council members will find adjoined to the bottom of this document their current voting power. The three global powerhouses however are the USA, Japan and... Brazil. Brazil have yet to send a council liason, but it is hoped they are more competent than Councillor CirclMastr of the USA.

The base, codenamed "A.F.O.A.", was hastily laid out. There is currently no method of holding prisoners and there are multiple access points. Furthermore, our radar range is quite limited by the small system in place.

As you can see, we have very little room for our staff to work in and much less to store our goods and any resources we commandeer from the alien menace. Do take into account that this version of the game has been modified so we actually require storage space to hold our loot. Armaments should perhaps be held in the Skyranger for use in the field when possible.

We have three aircraft. One is the aforementioned Skyranger, our top of the line transport aircraft. No current military transport can even hope to match the speed of the Skyranger.
The other two are Interceptor-class fighters piloted by veteran pilots of the "Merlyn" squadron. Merlyn-1, Captain Crowsbeak, is an ace pilot with over 15 confirmed air kills. At least, that's what he put on his CV as no military can confirm this. Nevertheless, he outperformed other candidates in a mock-dogfight scenario. These abilities will become necessary as we ascertain the abilities of our foes.
All Interceptor class fighters are currently equipped with Stingray-class Air-to-Air missiles. Their avionics are specially shielded, yet enemy ECM is powerful enough to reduce their effective range to only 30km.
Alternatively, we could equip them with the nuclear Avalanche-class Air-to-Air missiles. The only issues with it involve the damage to the surrounding area and the total annihilation of most alien craft who are subjected to a hit from these things. They have a maximum range of 60km.
Of course, our Interceptors also are armed with cannons. These are radar-guided cannons with a maximum effective range of 10km. These are the least likely to cause catastrophic damage to alien craft.

These are our currently enlisted troops. Please do not inquire as to the nature of the garbled text. We have no idea what may have caused this, and ask for you to not be concerned. They are all available for duty aboard the Skyranger if an enemy is detected.
The Skyranger can hold 14 troops at once, with a tank counting as 4-6 troops. We apologise for our inability to give an accurate figure.

Here are the armaments aboard the Skyranger. Troops are encouraged to take their pick of this gear and declare their preferences. Please do not concern yourselves with issues of storage, the Skyranger accommodates plenty of gear.

Our Research wing only has 10 people working for it. The three projects available to them are vital in their own individual ways. One of our scientists must please step forward in order to the Chief position in order to decide upon our course of action for research.

This ends our guided tour of the A.F.O.A. base. Included below are the following:

A list of items that the Council of Funding Nations have allowed us to purchase. The Quartermaster may order items from this list.

An updated state of funding.

Council members will find their percentage of the vote has been added to their entry in the second post.

The Purchasing Catalog:

The Funding:

It is now up to the Base Staff to finish organizing and begin giving orders. If by Sunday there are no other candidates to the Base Commander and Quartermaster roles, Ygmir and Teddles are in. We also need a Research and Development chief.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 4, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I'll go for a rifle, plus ammo, a grenade and a smoke grenade. Apocalypse scratched my blowing poo poo up itch, so I figure I'll be your go-to grunt. And die horribly breaching our first UFO, of course.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

TomViolence posted:

I'll go for a rifle, plus ammo, a grenade and a smoke grenade. Apocalypse scratched my blowing poo poo up itch, so I figure I'll be your go-to grunt. And die horribly breaching our first UFO, of course.

I will take the same loadout please, also forget pistol and use the space for more ammo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's no real reason to carry a pistol if you've already got a rifle anyway.

I really like that OpenXCOM solved the item count problem. With a team that can actually carry a large enough supply of smoke (and other) grenades, my starting missions got a lot less bloody. I also love the option that lets you sell captured aliens, and for double the cash of a corpse - this adds a bit of an optional goal to every mission.

Savgeir
Dec 23, 2013

Have you appeased the machine spirits today?

I request the biggest gun available, commander, preferably one of the cannons and its respective ammo, along with a grenade or two if i can carry them.

The enemies of our glorious motherworld shall feel my fury. :black101:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Could we possibly see a list of facilities that could be built?

Russia appreciates the support of the other nations in it's proposal to Blow The Fuckers Up, in appreciation, we have drafted a short-form proper 'list' of directives that are to be established by the proposal.

The proposal has two parts to it. Section A, which directs equipping of our soldiers, along with Section B, which directs research and development.

Council Proposal 2D: Blow the Fuckers Up
Section A
A1. All Soldiers are to carry with them, after normal arming, an amount of grenades equal to the amount, by weight, that that soldier is capable of carrying.
----- i. There is a preference for high explosive grenades, then either regular grenades, or proximity grenades. Should there be lacking numbers of grenades, more should be purchased.
----- ii. At a soldier's personal choice. Smoke grenades may be carried in lieu of, or in addition to regular grenades.
A2. At least one Soldier on each mission is to be equipped with one of the following: a) Rocket Launcher; or b) Auto-cannon; or c) Heavy Cannon; These soldiers are to be assigned one (1) buddy that will accompany them. Said HWB (Heavy Weapon Buddy) will have the duty to carry extra ammo for the HWO.
----- i. Soldier's may choose their own ammo, but the council suggests soldiers heavily consider the suggestion of High Explosive > Incendiary > Armor Piercing
A3. In Lieu of Section A, Subsection 2, a tank may be deployed instead.
A4. Due to the progressing nature of weapons in war, this proposal may be amended as new weapons technology is developed.

Section B
B1. The Primary Focus of Research should be the creation of new weapon systems. As of current writing, this would be the development of laser weapons. If there is no research that will lead directly to new weapons, Research may direct themselves at will.
----- i. Should a scientist believe that a particular topic may lead to new 'weapons', they are to present their case to the Council. Should it be that the case is strong enough, the research Priority will be amended.
----- ii. At all times outside this Section, Research shall be directed by the head of R&D, keeping in mind a focus on new weapons. Priorities after weapons may be directed at the directors whim.
B2. Development of new weapons shall be immediate upon completion of discovery of technology. Manufacturing will have whatever budget so determined as needed to mass produce weapons created.
----- i. All Soldiers are to be equipped with the newest weapon system they can use, as quantity allows.
----- ii. Weapons shall be produced in excess to the needs of the Base and Organization. Extra weapons are to be sold to both Council and Non-Council countries to assist in the war effort. It is imperative a profit still be made off of these sales.

It is also with this written proposal that the Council suggests and nominates chiasaur11 for the position of Chief of R&D at base A.F.O.A. Russia also will accept the nomination of Teddles for Chief Quartermaster, barring a better applicant appearing. At this time Russia does not wish to vote for a Base Commander, as it would prefer the Base Commander to be an experienced soldier that is a member of the Project. However, should one be required to move forward, a vote for an applicant will be submitted post-haste, as applicants become clear.

64bitrobot fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 4, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sorry, I forgot about the facility list. I even uploaded the picture. :doh:

Also, here is a troop spreadsheet where you can insert your preferences. Still put it in the thread of course. It also has all of your stats.

64bitrobot posted:

At this time Russia does not wish to vote for a Base Commander, as it would prefer the Base Commander to be an experienced soldier that is a member of the Project. However, should one be required to move forward, a vote for an applicant will be submitted post-haste, as applicants become clear.

All Base Commanders are recruited from the soldier pool. In this case, an applicant for Base Commander will be placed into active service after their month. One is not required, but highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Russia will accept and support the application of Ygmir, in that case.

• Locked thread