Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

64bitrobot posted:

Hmmm. We should probably get some more scientists, don't you think? I don't think there need to be a proposal, but what do the other council nations think?

Since we've still not met these supposed aliens, pushing research is a good idea since we'll be more prepared. Also it'll get us to medkits and armor faster which I've still not given up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, get more scientists. If we can get our troops laser rifles for the first fight(hah) we'll be in a good spot.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Since it seems like there's a general opinion on the topic already, I want to put in an order for 10 new scientists.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
How will hiring work, in the context of this thread? Is it the same as soldiers in that someone has to be them, or do we treat them simply as resources?

e: I'm assuming the latter but I felt like asking.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Maintain a stock of 25 of grenade/smoke/proximity/flare
Stock of 25 rifle clips and buy 2 more rifles
Stock of 15 pistol clips
Stock of 8 of each kind of autocannon ammo

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
As chief of R&D, I strongly recommend doubling our current staff. Not just our scientists but don't forget our engineers too! Someone's gonna have to make those weapons. Plan for the future!

After all, spare soldiers do nothing but sit in base wasting our precious resources, but we have plenty of available lab/shop space that can be put to good use.

ViggyNash posted:

How will hiring work, in the context of this thread? Is it the same as soldiers in that someone has to be them, or do we treat them simply as resources?

If it's the former, you folk better start trading your rifles for beakers, or the aliens will have already won by the time we find out which end of the gun fires bullets.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

Since it seems like there's a general opinion on the topic already, I want to put in an order for 10 new scientists.

I support this propostion. More science nerds, means faster research into weapons to help our fighty dudes.

Swerb
Jan 23, 2013
Really digging this thread so far. If the opportunity arises I'd love to submit an application to be added to the waiting list for Earth's human sheildbravest heroes. In the case of my untimely death I would happily donate my lifeless corpse to the science team to use as they see fit (clone/drone).

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
The Chinese representative also supports the proposal for ten more scientists

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SupSuper posted:

As chief of R&D, I strongly recommend doubling our current staff. Not just our scientists but don't forget our engineers too! Someone's gonna have to make those weapons. Plan for the future!

You have a good point, chief. Incidentally, what is the cost of hiring new personnel?

Regardless, let me put a question out for vote: Should we also hire 10 engineers in addition to the 10 scientists, or hire 5 of each?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Now I may be just a simple country politician, but I believe that until we have things in need of building our priority should be research into such things. However, that does not mean we should not have a plan for the future we are able to begin manufacture. Thus, I propose we hire 5 Scientists and 5 Engineers. The additional manpower in R&D will speed up our efforts there, and the men and women with the tools and talent will be ready and waiting when they have the blueprints and process to begin.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
May I suggest honored representatives and personnel that you should think about hiring the scientists now, and hiring the engineers at the start of the next month? They're the finest engineers in the world, they're paid like the finest engineers in the world, and it would be a waste to have them sit around doing nothing for 2 weeks, and get paid for it as if they spent a whole month working.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

my dad's reasoning is why I am holding off on getting new engineers-there's basically nothing for them to work on at the moment, and it is unlikely that they will have anything to do for some time. Getting more researchers now would be the smarter choice.

On an unrelated note, it is so boring around here. Having no battles means I can't do any good propaganda commercials yet!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

my dad posted:

May I suggest honored representatives and personnel that you should think about hiring the scientists now, and hiring the engineers at the start of the next month? They're the finest engineers in the world, they're paid like the finest engineers in the world, and it would be a waste to have them sit around doing nothing for 2 weeks, and get paid for it as if they spent a whole month working.

Man I'm just swaying with the wind aren't I?

I'll support this.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

my dad's reasoning is why I am holding off on getting new engineers-there's basically nothing for them to work on at the moment, and it is unlikely that they will have anything to do for some time. Getting more researchers now would be the smarter choice.

On an unrelated note, it is so boring around here. Having no battles means I can't do any good propaganda commercials yet!

Its not just the commercials that are suffering. How can the Chinese make bootlegs of x-com products without products to bootleg? X-com lazer blasters, x-com ahrmor, x-com oficial avalange missiles with real radioactive action!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ViggyNash posted:

You have a good point, chief. Incidentally, what is the cost of hiring new personnel?

Regardless, let me put a question out for vote: Should we also hire 10 engineers in addition to the 10 scientists, or hire 5 of each?
Soldiers are $40k, engineers are $50k and scientists are $60k (and half that per month). Motion for HerpicleOmnicron5 to post the Monthly Costs.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 9, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ViggyNash posted:

Those who choose to be scientists will be heads of individual research teams. The unnamed scientists are simply resources.

Here are the monthly costs, as requested. The next in-game week will be run later today.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wait, scientists are getting 30k a month? And they don't even have to risk their lives!? This is bullshit, man! I've been sold a bill of goods!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Those who choose to be scientists will be heads of individual research teams. The unnamed scientists are simply resources.

Here are the monthly costs, as requested. The next in-game week will be run later today.

Multiple research teams? Does that mean we could possible have multiple lines of research going at once?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Multiple research teams? Does that mean we could possible have multiple lines of research going at once?

Yes, you can have multiple lines going at once.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Spain would encourage the hiring of 10 more scientists.

If one or more of them happen to be implausibly sexy -- men or women, either is fine -- that might just persuade our president to be a little more generous with his funding*. He is far more open to, ah, 'charm' than he is to logic, reason or sanity.

* it won't.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Lotish posted:

Wait, scientists are getting 30k a month? And they don't even have to risk their lives!? This is bullshit, man! I've been sold a bill of goods!
Well we're the ones still around at the end of the month to pick up our check.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

January 17th, 1999

:siren: Scramble all interceptors, this is not a drill. Ground forces, gear up and mount the Skyranger. I repeat, this is not a drill. :siren:

Radar reports show that the UFO is low and slow, people. This is our first chance to strike back at the alien menace.

Range and bearing estimates show that the UFO should be straddling the Spain-Portugal border. First dispatch will be Merlyn-1. The Jolly Green Lad(y) will be sent to prevent any escape.

14 volunteers must step up for the first combat insertion. The Base Commander may also provide a list of troops. Here is the list of troops and stats.

Any soldiers in combat who fail to provide orders will have their unit put into command of another soldier.

Crowbeak and Slaan, would you rather fly "Cautiously", "Balanced" or "Aggressively"?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lotish reporting to gently caress stuff up, sir!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Grenadier Alkydere reporting to infuriate the Ghost of Dr. Vahlen (and likely blow himself up).

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Door Opener, First Class TomViolence ready to break off some foot halfway up some alien cloaca.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Put me in coach I'm ready!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm ready for combat.

By the way I might have a high bravery rating but I'm not stupidly brave, I would rather not walk through a door when I don't know what is behind it.

Also I think we ought to operate in small fire teams of at least 3 people, no singletons.

If we find a Ufo we should surround the exits and let them come to us.

Of course I probably won't be team leader but that is the procedure I wrote down for the entrance exam!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

I would rather not walk through a door when I don't know what is behind it.

That's what I'm here for!

I'm around and would love to be a door opener. Put me in, coach!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I would like to be a scientist working on the motion scanner all by myself. I think I can pull it off by the end of the war! (I probably cannot)

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
GyverMac Here, and I say KILL'EM ALL. I'm the best grenade thrower we got (80), I suggest you guys give me explody things to throw at the aliens.

Also; This should be mandatory viewing for all infantry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mzbundifund posted:

I would like to be a scientist working on the motion scanner all by myself. I think I can pull it off by the end of the war! (I probably cannot)

There are actually situations in which the motion scanner is absolutely precious: UFO raids. The aliens almost never stand completely still, and being able to tell exactly where they are when you can't directly see them in a confined space can be extremely useful - guided missile guiding kind of useful. Just make sure you use them at the start of the turn, or at the very least only move your motion scanner equipped soldiers, otherwise you'll get a lot of false readings.

Of course, the opportunity cost of that research (not researching far more useful stuff) means we won't be seeing it for quite a while, if ever.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

You have no control over research. Only the Chief can order research. Please request that the Chief puts this order in.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Chaos Dragon ready sir

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Croikey! I'm ready to put some aliens six feet down under, mateys! Hoist anchor and disembark, yarr!

Edit: I be not the captain.

MrWillsauce fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 9, 2015

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
So who's flying the Skyranger, anyway?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ablative posted:

So who's flying the Skyranger, anyway?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Crowbeak and Slaan, would you rather fly "Cautiously", "Balanced" or "Aggressively"?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Aren't they the interceptors?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GyverMac posted:

I'm the best grenade thrower we got (80)

ahem...

Ablative posted:

Aren't they the interceptors?

Oh, right...

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Of Tissues
Oct 31, 2014
I volunteer to go into combat!

• Locked thread