Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I really love Minnesota, too, OP.

That's my weekly GBS post, bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

Bean Bandit. Son of a bitch!

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
am i supposed to say massachusetts because i live there?

also i've been to idaho...place is weird as gently caress.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
1. Massachusetts east of 95
2-50 dont care

also OP nice troll attempt putting CT in front of mass lol

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Fetus Tree posted:

1. Massachusetts east of 95
2-50 dont care

also OP nice troll attempt putting CT in front of mass lol

;-*

birds
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress New Jersey

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
every state is poo poo in its own unique way

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In terms of power there are really only three states-- New York, California, and Texas, although Massachusetts, Florida, and arguably Alaska form a solid secondary block. Every single other state orbits those states regardless of how powerful they might be on their own. Washington D.C. doesn't really count because it's only a district.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You have to move Alaska down a bit further because they were stupid enough to elect Palin as Governor.

I'm Alaskan but I'm not taking any credit for that.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 31, 2015

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

mind the walrus posted:

In terms of power there are really only three states-- New York, California, and Texas, although Massachusetts, Florida, and arguably Alaska form a solid secondary block. Every single other state orbits those states regardless of how powerful they might be on their own. Washington D.C. doesn't really count because it's only a district.

Michigan seems to orbit Canada, Mexico, and China more than it does it's neighboring states, at least in the lower Peninsula. The U.P. and it's people should be ceded back to Wisconsin now that we've mined all the copper, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
1. British Empire
2. USA
3. Roman Empire
4. Soviet Union
5. Spanish Empire
-
48. Harappa
49. Khmer Rouge Cambodia
50. Sealand

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Rutibex posted:

1. British Empire
2. USA
3. Roman Empire
4. Soviet Union
5. Spanish Empire
-
48. Harappa
49. Khmer Rouge Cambodia
50. Sealand

disagree, Khmer Rouge is more of an 42 thing, bump down the Mongols

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
given how many countries speak spanish, i think the spanish empire should be higher on the list tbh

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

Fetus Tree posted:

given how many countries speak spanish, i think the spanish empire should be higher on the list tbh

They don't do anything but play soccer tho

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Just want to be clear, this is states themselves, and not sports, even though the idea came from ESPN, right? Because its been a loving long and painful time since 1991 and you know the Twins are going to squander this farm system.

If it's just states, you have to drop Minnesota 10 spots because the Mexican food is awful.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

MrChupon posted:

Just want to be clear, this is states themselves, and not sports, even though the idea came from ESPN, right? Because its been a loving long and painful time since 1991 and you know the Twins are going to squander this farm system.

If it's just states, you have to drop Minnesota 10 spots because the Mexican food is awful.

That is correct. Minnesota would be like, 46, if its sports.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

MrChupon posted:

not true. there are Mexican people in MN who work on pork farms so Mexican run Mexican restaurants have sprung up. The only people who think there is lovely Mexican food in MN are suburban people who are afraid to drive into Minneapolis.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Power Rankings

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Paper With Lines posted:

not true. there are Mexican people in MN who work on pork farms so Mexican run Mexican restaurants have sprung up. The only people who think there is lovely Mexican food in MN are suburban people who are afraid to drive into Minneapolis.

This just goes to prove my point. Why can't you get good Mexican food in the suburbs? This is not a problem in all states. Is your metro area so undesirable that you haven't managed to force minorities out to the inner-ring suburbs via gentrification and increased cost of living?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yeah actually minnesota is renowned world wide for its latin cultural influence & culinary expertise.obviously anybody that doesnt believe this must just be some idiot suburbanite

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Wikipedia posted:

Hispanics or Latinos (of any race) made up 4.7 percent of the population.

:laffo:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
10. Pittsburgh/Philadelphia Pennsylvania

50. Mississippi
51. Central Pennsylvania

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

kittenmittons posted:

10. Pittsburgh/Philadelphia Pennsylvania

50. Mississippi
51. Central Pennsylvania

Central Pennsylvania is already on the list as "Kentucky".

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
puerto rico is better than most states

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

MrChupon posted:

This just goes to prove my point. Why can't you get good Mexican food in the suburbs? This is not a problem in all states. Is your metro area so undesirable that you haven't managed to force minorities out to the inner-ring suburbs via gentrification and increased cost of living?

It's not like suburban people want Mexican food anyway. It isn't from Outback Steakhouse or Applebees so who cares.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

MrChupon posted:

Central Pennsylvania is already on the list as "Kentucky".

It's actually a Kentucky/Alabama hybrid with some cold/snowy weather mixed in.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
people in suburbs of less lovely places have better palates it turns out

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

people in suburbs of less lovely places have better palates it turns out

No, you don't understand: its chic to assume that people who aren't poor are awful in every way.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

blarzgh posted:

No, you don't understand: its chic to assume that people who aren't poor are awful in every way.

this has never occurred to me tbh

it must be a lot of work being poor and hating anybody more fortunate than you

E: its gotta be easier at the other end of the spectrum, where we just pretend the poor, filthy masses don't exist. until one of them dings my f450 with his corolla

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 31, 2015

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Acid Haze posted:

Minnesota is poo poo. Iowa is poo poo. Illinois is poo poo. Michigan is, yes, poo poo. Missouri is poo poo cause it touches Iowa and Illinois at the same time.

Wisconsin ok though

Wisconsin better than OK, but it's dropped in the last five years. Minnesota is on par, maybe a squeak better these days. The rest checks out.

Knyteguy posted:

wisconsin sucks basically #39 on the list or so

:fuckoff: I'd put America's Dairyland around #18, down from #14.

The Groper posted:

Michigan seems to orbit Canada, Mexico, and China more than it does it's neighboring states, at least in the lower Peninsula. The U.P. and it's people should be ceded back to Wisconsin now that we've mined all the copper, though.

I second the motion to return the UP to its rightful owners.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
i'm intrigued as to what makes CT # 2 i live there and it doesn't seem that great i would definitely rate CA and CO above it

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sexual Lorax posted:

I second the motion to return the UP to its rightful owners.

im pretty sure they mostly died in the genocide

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

i'm intrigued as to what makes CT # 2 i live there and it doesn't seem that great i would definitely rate CA and CO above it

i would rank most states above it, and certainly every new england state

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

people are coming to colorado in droves and it sucks :smith:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

this has never occurred to me tbh

it must be a lot of work being poor and hating anybody more fortunate than you

E: its gotta be easier at the other end of the spectrum, where we just pretend the poor, filthy masses don't exist. until one of them dings my f450 with his corolla

Really the easiest thing is just being nice to everybody, and not making a bunch of assumptions about them, but thats not very cool.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

blarzgh posted:

Really the easiest thing is just being nice to everybody, and not making a bunch of assumptions about them, but thats not very cool.

as a matter of routine, we are not very nice in massachusetts

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Linux Pirate posted:

people are coming to colorado in droves and it sucks :smith:

Re-posting from the home buying thread:

Thesaurus posted:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_27780191/denver-buyers-up-their-game-be-last-bidder-standing-real-estate-deals

quote:

The National Association of Realtors considers a six-month supply of homes available for sale a "balanced" market and the national average is at about 4.6 months.

Metro Denver's supply, by contrast, is now under a month. And for homes under $400,000, it can be measured in days.

quote:

A balanced market would call for 7,332 detached homes available for sale in the $200,000-$399,000 price range in the metro Denver area, PorchLight estimates.

But at the end of February, there were only 723 available in a seven-county area that includes Elbert County but excludes Boulder County.

In the under-$199,000 market for attached homes, primarily condos and townhomes, metro Denver had 181 listings for sale in February versus the 2,652 that a "balanced" market would dictate.

quote:

Homes expected to move quickly will typically list on Thursday with buyers getting to tour on Friday and Saturday. After offers are collected, listing agents present them to sellers and help cull them, with winners often announced on Monday.

quote:

That typically starts by bidding above the list price, assuming a home is reasonably priced to begin with. In a normal market, a seller gets the listing price or better about 5 to 10 percent of the time, said Thompson. In metro Denver, they are now getting it 56 percent of the time.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

as a matter of routine, we are not very nice in massachusetts

I find that northeastern manners are akin to a stranger stopping to help you change your tire in a snow storm, while cussing you for being dumb.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

blarzgh posted:

I find that northeastern manners are akin to a stranger stopping to help you change your tire in a snow storm, while cussing you for being dumb.

an interesting remark, although in reality i think you give too much credit

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
1-5
California
Colorado
Washington
Oregon
Hawaii

6-50
Everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_taxation_and_spending_by_state

It's astonishing how badly the south drags our country down in every single way possible

quote:

Several commentators have pointed out that the states that benefit the most by federal spending are the very states whose populations tend to vote for leaders who promise to reduce federal spending, while those that benefit the least from large government vote for politicians who promise to make it even larger at their expense. In other words, Democratic-leaning states tend to be net contributors to the federal budget while Republican-leaning states are more often net recipients of federal spending. Various explanations for this seemingly contradictory situation exist

• Locked thread