Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

A bunch of college students and the unemployed set up a tent city in a park in New York in order to demand something but they never actually said what. Then some people got raped and the cops made everyone go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
the situation wrt wage stagnation is still hopeless but i feel like it comes up more than it used to

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
so way to go i guess

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I remember when they had good momentum and then tumblr was like, actually occupy wall street is racist and problematic, and then obamass dhs led a simultaneous nationwide crackdown against them because they were so problematic

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
identity politics ruins everything

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It was funny because it was a irl version of the People's Judean Front bickering scenes from Life of Brian.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Micheal Douglas film right?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

I remember when they had good momentum and then tumblr was like, actually occupy wall street is racist and problematic, and then obamass dhs led a simultaneous nationwide crackdown against them because they were so problematic

america itself as an institution is extremely problematic which is something not even obungler can fix

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

america itself as an institution is extremely problematic which is something not even obungler can fix

people as an institution are problematic imo we should launch the nukes and be done with it

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

etalian posted:

It was funny because it was a irl version of the People's Judean Front bickering scenes from Life of Brian.

Every leftist movement is just a reskin of the People's Front of Judea.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.
it would be nice to believe in somethign enough to protest about it, but i just don't give a flyin' gently caress

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

it would be nice to believe in somethign enough to protest about it, but i just don't give a flyin' gently caress

I think the Occupy Wall Street people mainly believed they were just sort of generally unhappy about stuff

Bolek
May 1, 2003

That nationwide DHS collaboration was just info sharing and had nothing to do with a doomed to fail movement with no concrete goal or timetable or popular support. Hth

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
it was cool op and it was easier to sneer than to show up

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

the situation wrt wage stagnation is still hopeless but i feel like it comes up more than it used to

if you pay the poors more, then prices of things poors buy will go up. read a book on supply and demand.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That rape thing was real. Like, they actually had a woman's only No-Rapes-Allowed tent

But the tent didn't have enough room for all the women at the park, so I guess if you didn't get a spot in the non-rape tent you just had to sleep with a knife under your pillow.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

NakedWithCandy posted:

if you pay the poors more, then prices of things poors buy will go up. read a book on supply and demand.

lol seriously. that's why i don't get why rich people are worried about it. it's not like a BMW is gonna cost more if the minimum wage is raised. it'll just be like the Mickey-D Dollar Menu becomes the Mickey-D Buck Fiddy Menu.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Nope.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

truly the dregs of society. they should aspire to be more like the op, a huge human being who posts 18 times a day on an internet comedy forum

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Every leftist movement is just a reskin of the People's Front of Judea.

Canada has two communist parties: the Communist Party of Canada and the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist). And between the two of them they've accomplished just as much as Occupy Wall Street did.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

They made "the 1%" part of the national dialog. And that in turn lead to the creation of "the 47%" slogan which helped obliterate Mitt Romney's campaign.

In a round about way, they did something good despite being a pack of limp wristed cowards.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

hjahahahaha

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Now someone post that hilarious clip of a bunch of incompetent protesting students getting ushered out of a cafeteria/library.

Edit: Justine Tunney.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

OWS did have one big accomplishment: they gave bankers something to joke about in every single meeting for a year.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

NakedWithCandy posted:

lol

the price of poor people stuff always goes up

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Bolek posted:

That nationwide DHS collaboration was just info sharing and had nothing to do with a doomed to fail movement with no concrete goal or timetable or popular support. Hth

Oh I forgot. #JusticeForCecily

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's actually really good that OWS didn't have any one clear manifesto just for the rage it induced in everyone who tried to describe, cover or argue with it. With the obvious exception of "we are the 99%" it was a pretty conscious rejection of soundbites which was at least pretty refreshing in this day and age

I mean obviously it led to it being gay and directionless and falling apart but it was funny and I liked it generally other than the rape stuff and the being a bit stupid

Told Two Times
Feb 13, 2014

by Smythe
What about antidote and the dark angel mafia?

We're all over way down south we got your back.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

people as an institution are problematic imo we should launch the nukes and be done with it

yeah but that fucks over all life which is entirely blameless

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pawn 17 posted:

OWS did have one big accomplishment: they gave bankers something to joke about in every single meeting for a year.

lol

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Pawn 17 posted:

Not just bankers, everyone was laughing at them.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
drum circles

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
OWS is what happens when you have grassroots without the astroturf money and foxnews support of the tea party.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
so what was the point of OWS? income inequality?

at least the tea party had a message: Obama is black.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
The boston one was lulzy IMO because you had actual working class people speaking about being priced out of neiborjoods where they'd lived for generations etc who were drowned out by mentally ill tumblerists who became the face of the 'movement' so to speak OP.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Boise one was full of Libertarians

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
remember when the cops were forcing all the homeless into the park and the protesters got blamed for anything they did?

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

huskarl_marx posted:

remember when the cops were forcing all the homeless into the park and the protesters got blamed for anything they did?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bolek posted:

yeah you might be understating the extent of the crackdown a bit

the whole thing was most likely heavily surveilled and infiltrated from the start, even the banks were most likely coordinating with the fbi and dhs to provide info on ows

i mean it's kind of telling that even when other protest movements involve openly carrying rifles they don't get the kind of response people did when they suggested that maybe citizens united was hosed up and perhaps we should have less money influencing our government, you don't really say things like that as a nationwide movement in modern America without the security apparatus dropping the hammer on you in some way

• Locked thread