Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Okay how am I supposed to check everyone's word count? Post Google docs here if you've got them. Admit if you've failed or plan to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Almost there! For my final 2.5k words I shall write a story where Johny Twiddlethumb learns the magic of counting to 2,500.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

angel opportunity posted:

Okay how am I supposed to check everyone's word count? Post Google docs here if you've got them. Admit if you've failed or plan to fail.

gently caress you i got 3 days

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

edit: nm

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Okay I can't believe I'm doing this effort poo poo, but I'm posting the signup list and I will be updating this post with people who have proven their wordcounts. You can PM me or post your google doc link into the thread. I don't want to post my email address here though. If you don't prove you did what you toxxed for by Hawaii time or whatever the latest time zone is, I will report to the mods that you failed and you will get banned.

It's your responsibility to prove you didn't gently caress up, not mine to hunt you down. Don't be late.

You can also just join IRC in #longwalk and show me there

How would you even know if we wrote the words this month anyway? It's honor system already.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Seb told me to check it but you're right I guess...maybe people should just self-report their failures? Seems kind of lame but I don't know if there's a better way?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Seb told me to check it but you're right I guess...maybe people should just self-report their failures? Seems kind of lame but I don't know if there's a better way?

I say check it. Even if you cheat by showing old work, you can't keep doing it forever and you're probably super pathetic anyway. Basically, no reason to make it super easy to lie and if there's zero accountability this thread will die an early death.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah...I agree, so please send me your documents to check wordcounts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah...I agree, so please send me your documents to check wordcounts.

Thanks for taking this on systran, and yeah checking is appropriate to the standard of 'yep looks fine'. Timezone per OP is PST coz imma need every minute

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

yeah, or i could just tell you i failed/succeeded and you could trust me because I'm an adult and I don't lie about stupid poo poo.

god i hope i can find time to write.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
I'm not on the list on the OP even though I totally signed up on the first page, because Sebmojo is a harsh and merciless cybertyrant in need of a good heartmelting by the power of the Loves (An all-girl pop band from sunny Bristol). Link sent to SysAngel to validate.

Anyhow. I made my 4k at 6:30am this morning and even though it's an increditerrible mashup of vacillating voice I think there's a germ of an idea that will make me millions, so, I'm pretty chuffed. I'm actually kind of keen to find out what happens next, which I guess is the desired outcome for continuing next month.

Sebmojo - 'borg up and write something else already. You were at 500 a week ago.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm loving around with gdocs and it's giving me trouble accepting my upload, but I emailed a copy to RedTonic and anyone who asks for a copy of my manuscript will get one, as long as they don't mind a 5mb/7mb .rtf/.wps file full of the worst, most derivative crap written by man.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
i need to change my May toxx

now it's 5000 words again AND i have to finish all the crits for spaceship week

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm loving around with gdocs and it's giving me trouble accepting my upload, but I emailed a copy to RedTonic and anyone who asks for a copy of my manuscript will get one, as long as they don't mind a 5mb/7mb .rtf/.wps file full of the worst, most derivative crap written by man.

The wordcount's at 643,191 per Open Office.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm still 2k down, but I've got a whole day. I can do this. Just gotta knuckle the gently caress down.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm still 2k down, but I've got a whole day. I can do this. Just gotta knuckle the gently caress down.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

crabrock posted:

yeah, or i could just tell you i failed/succeeded and you could trust me because I'm an adult and I don't lie about stupid poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm about 1,400 words into a current long-term project that I will stick with til I get distracted by something shiny, and got about 1,600 words combined on stuff I stalled out on but which still totally counts because I wrote it this month so there. So still very much in the running, with two days left. Attainable, I say.

(Not even counting the Thunderdome story I did.)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh wait, I've got a whole 'nother day. Cool.

Well, I've written 1800 words so far anyway. That's about 3500 total for the BCS story. Gonna try to lay down another 2k before the deadline. The story is looking to be the full 10K, though one section of it (which I have only written 500 words of and they're gonna get cannibalised for use elsewhere) is probably gonna get the chop. They're not great words and they're gonna need a lot of editing, but there's a core of something solid there.

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1066l0Zx4NtxFK2Dzvp2NqA0GxqhKdT1bW6rMBRyxn08/edit?usp=sharing

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Also, angel opportunity, you pubbed a thing, so let me know if you want a gift certificate for a new avatar.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeahh, it looks like I'll be failing the toxx this month. :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Also, angel opportunity, you pubbed a thing, so let me know if you want a gift certificate for a new avatar.

Thanks, but it's self pub so that's lame, and also I am happy with my current avatar. I appreciate the offer though!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

crabrock posted:

Everyone in Write About Dragons was an "adult" that regularly failed to meet deadlines and goals!!!

So, for this thing, you show you loving did it or get banned.

There's a really sleazy line you'd have to cross to forge your writing compared to just not reporting yourself to be banned, or even from just posting "I made it."

I feel like to save $10, a lot of people would just post "I made it," but only the biggest failure pieces of poo poo would forge some 5,000 word google doc and send it to me. Probably in the process of creating your forgery, you would say, "Wow, I can't even succeed at this?" and you'd just let yourself get banned.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Everyone in Write About Dragons was an "adult" that regularly failed to meet deadlines and goals!!!

yeah, but they didn't lie about it and try to say they met the goal.

If i fail the goal, which is entirely likely, I will tell you failed it. If not I will take a screenshot of my wordcounts/document titles spread over several documents, but I don't feel like sending out a bunch of unpolished chapters from my unfinished novel, and other people are in the same boat. The thread says how we show we completed it is up to us.

I get you wanna go to ban town on people who didn't do their goal, but saying they have to adhere to your strict rule and show you all their work is overboard, especially when the OP stated we could show we got our wordcount however we wanted. I toxxed to write a certain amount, not to send somebody my document.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Well, seb didn't post in the OP, but he asked me at the beginning of the month in IRC to be the word-count checker, so I assumed this was going to be a thing that happened.

I'm just going to delete the table and poo poo and pull out of this

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

omg you're still gonna get to get hella people banned

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Doesn't sound like it?

Seb needs to be in charge of this instead of me since he made the thread.

If we were all adults, we would just write without having to toxx. I don't really get what the point of this thread is if we don't have to prove we did something.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i will "prove" it by showing you my wordcounts. showing you the actual words proves nothing, as you said before somebody could just cheat it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

okay...prove it to seb though lol

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
Is this really that much of worry? I think angel opportunity is sufficiently savvy to figure that if (for example) someone PMs a link rather than posts it in-thread then that person probably doesn't feel their work is ready for primetime and/or comments from the peanut gallery.

I think a cursory scan to make sure it's not a copy and paste of War and Peace, with the understanding any links or versions will not be secretly shared with Penguin / Your parents/ random IRC folks should be sufficient. Crabrock, you may be of unimpeachable character, but if folks are going to sign up for a toxx, the standard for meeting it should be consistent for everyone, reachable and verifiable to some degree.

In my fantasically, incredibly humble opinion, obvs.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah I basically was just super fast scanning through to make sure it looked legit, then never looking at it again.

I feel there should be checks on toxxes, but I'm not doing the checking anymore this month

If you want to put into the OP next month that I will be checking etc., then I'll do it next month

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
but who watches the watchmen

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's a ripe opportunity for a cheap shot at the expense of Zack Snyder but I actually liked that movie, so.

Anyway, less slap fighting, more slap writing, sez I.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doesn't sound like it?

Seb needs to be in charge of this instead of me since he made the thread.

If we were all adults, we would just write without having to toxx. I don't really get what the point of this thread is if we don't have to prove we did something.

Dude/ttes.

Work with me here.

There does need to be some kind of certification, because otherwise the whole thing is pointless. At some point a pm has to be sent, and a mod has to be convinced that a goon made a promise and failed to meet it, and someone has to be banned. That needs to be a clear line, so no extensions.

If you really really don't want to be sending draft stuff out then link a gdoc in irc then turn off sharing once it's been looked at or something, I don't actually care, but we need a list of people who signed up and then to cross names off as they make their toxx and pm whoever is left on 1 May to the mods fer banning'.

It's ok to nut this stuff out here, because I'm gonna be posting these for at least 12 months for whoever wants to participate so we might as well get the messy details sorted up front.

Systran agreed to be the toxx enforcer out of kindness and his own particular brand of mildly psychotic whimsy so please don't make it hard for him. However I'll do it this month as per above (including banning myself if I don't write 4k in the next 24 hours, ggn), and we can discuss April's Long Walk next month.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 29, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Write, you beautiful motherfuckers! Write! If we lose folks like Seb and Crabrock, the CC circlejerk crew will fall apart!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Screaming Idiot posted:

Write, you beautiful motherfuckers! Write! If we lose folks like Seb and Crabrock, the CC circlejerk crew will fall apart!

bbbbbut the ~agenda~

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

bbbbbut the ~agenda~
We'll just have to go back to the regular gay agenda.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nah, I'm sticking to the original.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Dude/ttes.

If you really really don't want to be sending draft stuff out then link a gdoc in irc then turn off sharing once it's been looked at or something, I don't actually care, but we need a list of people who signed up and then to cross names off as they make their toxx and pm whoever is left on 1 May to the mods fer banning'.

This is actually really fair and easy. Everyone stop making GBS threads your pants it's attracting flies.

I'm just gonna put my cumulative words in one doc and link it in IRC, which will happen within the next 30 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Entenzahn posted:

but who watches the watchmen

I admit it. I watched Watchmen twice for the gigantic blue penis.

Fumblemouse fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 30, 2015

• Locked thread