Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

archer was much better before they ran out of jokes, now they're just treading water referring to the old jokes in slightly different situations

it's been getting a bit better lately with the last few episodes, as in, three or so laugh out loud moments per episode when i've been getting used to being completely silent, but the issue really is it's been going on too long. the characters are all paper thin parodies, have no secrets left and have already been pushed as far as they could go, really further in some cases. giving archer a kid was a bad idea the first time they did it, the second time completely earthing the whole archer/lana sexual tension such that it was is basically cutting a tent string, and all the secondary characters have basically been used as shock clowns and they're completely done as being able to be taken as relatable. anyone familiar with the show could predict exactly what a character would do in any situation and there's really nothing special in the technical execution that would cause you to say, yeah, but i gotta see it.

the greatest asset the show had was the world they created with the permanent cold war, swimmily-defined past setting with perma-eighties tech but they sort of spent that on making anime hologram jokes and they started giving all the characters smartphones for some goddamn reason. so now they can't do anything interesting with the setting, it's just basically present day. they had such a good thing going, it could have supported a lot more than just a show about spying, and they dissolved it all for a few cheap parody shots.

either needed a showrunner that has experience maintaining a show for a longer period or a nice satisfying climactic ending about 2-3 seasons ago

it be nice if they didn't include every character in every episode and just had 1-2 characters going off and doing things really, like i thought that was a problem the creators accepted and said they would change? but they havent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

all tv shows end up doing that eventually, it's really annoying - entourage was especially bad for it. i wish writers would dare to move out of the A/B story formula sometimes.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Woah you guys don't like these shows?

I don't know if you realize it, but that is a weird thing to say. Because lots of people like these shows. You are different though. Hmmmmmmm

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Lana Kane is hot.

All the women on the show are huge sluts in slightly different ways.

All the guys on the show are huge assholes in slightly different ways.

There is nothing not to like about this show.

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset

Tsinava posted:

venture brothers got less funny and more stupid as well. or maybe it didn't. i stopped watching after season 2.

There are still golden nuggets in the show but the most recent special had a straight up Star Wars light-saber battle in it which is like as lazy as you can get writing nerdyish humor. I miss the one off johnny quest type adventure episodes.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Lana Kane is hot.

All the women on the show are huge sluts in slightly different ways.

All the guys on the show are huge assholes in slightly different ways.

There is nothing not to like about this show.
all the men are sluts, too & the women assholes. except pam, my perfect beautiful goddess

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Battery Joe posted:

There are still golden nuggets in the show but the most recent special had a straight up Star Wars light-saber battle in it which is like as lazy as you can get writing nerdyish humor. I miss the one off johnny quest type adventure episodes.

i can't believe people get mad at the lightsaber fight and not the awful voice of billy's mum

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i don't like archer either op :unsmith:

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

i can't believe people get mad at the lightsaber fight and not the awful voice of billy's mum

Why not both?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Battery Joe posted:

Why not both?

mm fair enough, just like the lightsaber thing was a 2 minute gag but billy's mum has so many drat lines!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I have never seen an episode of Archer but all the people making GBS threads on Venture Bros. can go gently caress themselves, hth

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
somebody say something interesting about venture bros. "animated show for people older than 6" just doesnt quite cut it in this post-pelswick world

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Archer = American Dad :colbert:

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
American Dad can actually be funny sometimes though.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tsinava posted:

American Dad can actually be funny sometimes though.

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

I really liked the first season of Archer especially the zeppelin episode. Since last season its been really downhill though they tried to break the formula the show was stuck in but it failed miserably and now they are back to that formula and they are reusing lots of old tired jokes or referencing them.

Venture Bros is great though

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I thought I really liked Sealab 2021, but it turns out I just really liked Harry Goz as Captain Murphy.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Seth Macfarlane Is An Artistic And Comedic Genius

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
so Archer must have officially gotten too popular now, since all these goons here are pretending it's bad so they can feel special

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
itt we deeply analyze cartoons

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
sorry your sense of humor is super one dimensional op

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Archer is one of the smartest shows on television, OP. It could be it just goes over your head.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Archer is cool and good

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Applewhite posted:

Archer is one of the smartest shows on television, OP. It could be it just goes over your head.

i like archer but loving lol tell me more about how smart the piss and poo poo joke cartoon is that makes the same exact jokes over and over

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Archer seems crap to me and so does koth but maybe you need to be a cartoon spy who works undercover in the propane industry to really get them.I do like the venture bros but I have Spider-man pyjamas.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Stoic Commie posted:

i like archer but loving lol tell me more about how smart the piss and poo poo joke cartoon is that makes the same exact jokes over and over

theres no use explaining humor to anyone ;(

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stoic Commie posted:

I was more referring to their obscure name-dropping, historical references and clever wordplay but if piss and poo poo is all you take away from it that's okay.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Archer showed me I had some terrible friends when they started repeating his lines and thinking he was the coolest person ever

It is very annoying hearing a manchild yell DANGER ZONE repeatedly

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Archer is entirely character-based humor. And that's why it's great. The storylines don't even matter, they're just an excuse to put these personalities in situations together. Man-child spy x insane masochistic heiress x Nazi-clone mad scientist x whatever awesome thing Pam is x token gay guy x ultra beta-male x crone bitch boss x the straight-man (i.e. Lana). Assuming the writers can pull it off (and they do), what's not to like? Maybe it doesn't deserve Emmys, but it's very entertaining.

And anyone claiming season 1 is the best is a fake jerk effectively going for a bullshit "i'll claim it was better before it got popular so I can have my cake and eat it too" angle. Season 1 of Archer was like season 1 of Parks and Rec; it hadn't even figured out yet how it really wanted to write half the characters. When it did figure that out in later seasons is when the show really hit its stride.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 1, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

Archer showed me I had some terrible friends when they started repeating his lines and thinking he was the coolest person ever

It is very annoying hearing a manchild yell DANGER ZONE repeatedly

he//h eheh... heh............. but ... thats the point you loser lol. to piss off people who get pissed off easily when repeating a harmless word

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ninotoreS posted:

Archer is entirely character-based humor. And that's why it's great. The storylines don't even matter, they're just an excuse to put these personalities in situations together. Man-child spy x insane masochistic heiress x Nazi-clone mad scientist x whatever awesome thing Pam is x token gay guy x ultra beta-male x crone bitch boss x the straight-man (e.g. Lana). Assuming the writers can pull it off (and they do), what's not to like? Maybe it doesn't deserve Emmys, but it's very entertaining.

And anyone claiming season 1 is the best is a fake jerk effectively going for a bullshit "i'll claim it was better before it got popular so I can have my cake and eat it too" angle. Season 1 of Archer was like season 1 of Parks and Rec; it hadn't even figured out yet how it really wanted to write half the characters. When it did figure that out in later seasons is when the show really hit its stride.

Remember how in the pilot the fat tech guy had a twin?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

The zeppelin episode is really good

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
The animation is horrible. All of the characters look like horses. I hate it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

i used to like venture bros until it got up its own rear end while at the same time only making half a season every 4 years, like who is going to remember what the show is about

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Quellar posted:

The animation is horrible. All of the characters look like horses. I hate it.

But enough about My Little Pony... :iamafag:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
How do you NOT like Archer

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
im surprised that goons will confess to liking anything at this point.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I like most things and I'm not afraid to post about them

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
catdog bad show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

archer is what ppl watch when they graduate from family guy and enjoy more mature things such as sex jokes and scarface pastiche

• Locked thread