Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ape Fist posted:

I feel like the sorts of people who find Archer funny also think Adam Sandler movies are funny. Basically human trashbags.

bit judgemental tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
*BAWK BAWK*

Archer Vice should have killed the series, but FX can't make more episodes of The Americans so they need to fill time. It was better as a mockery of cold war era spy stuff, but there's only so much you can do with that I suppose.

I hate how the CIA is now an overseeing entity and (the agency formerly known as ISIS) is always on their "last mission" to prove to some separate group that they're competent. First, who gives a gently caress, Delta Force couldn't complete its only goal. The CIA fucks up all the time. Let Archer be the super-spy who fucks around because he's that good. There's no reason to fake tension because we know they're not going to lose.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
archer owns. its ok not to like something but you're missing out imo.

ninotoreS posted:

And anyone claiming season 1 is the best is a fake jerk effectively going for a bullshit "i'll claim it was better before it got popular so I can have my cake and eat it too" angle. Season 1 of Archer was like season 1 of Parks and Rec; it hadn't even figured out yet how it really wanted to write half the characters. When it did figure that out in later seasons is when the show really hit its stride.

:agreed: i wouldnt quite compare it to the clusterfuck that was the first season of P&R as the first season had some good eps, but it definitely got better. of course archer vice really was terrible but i'm enjoying the current season, even if its definitely declined from s2-3

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I liked Archer and then when I watched it recently it seemed really immature and cringey to watch.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Applewhite posted:

I was more referring to their obscure name-dropping, historical references and clever wordplay

nice just like family guy

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
idk guys this cartoon full of dick and fart jokes just doesn't seem all that mature anymore

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

rezatahs posted:

idk guys this cartoon full of dick and fart jokes just doesn't seem all that mature anymore

it was a lot more clever out of the gate. the pilot was funnier than the entire vice season i just wasted time watching on netflix a few weeks ago

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Archer Vice was dumb and a huge disappointment at the time. I have now gone back and watched those episodes again, and can kind of appreciate them on there own merit, but as part of Archer as a whole they are like a bad dream.

Archer before Vice was great because they developed characters and you got used to how the characters interacted. During Vice everything changed. Not just their situation, but the characters themselves. Pam became skinny coked up Pam. Lana was pregnant. Cheryl became a country western singer. Etc..

I think Vice would have been better, and still could have been the shake up the show needed, if the characters personalities hadn't changed so much. Still have ISIS die, still have them move into the Tunt mansion, you could still have them be cocaine dealers but have them do it on the side, while the team actually became high level bounty hunters, or were simply hired to do black ops by the CIA, but the CIA didn't control them. But don't gently caress with the characters... the characters are good.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SopWATh posted:

*BAWK BAWK*

Archer Vice should have killed the series, but FX can't make more episodes of The Americans so they need to fill time. It was better as a mockery of cold war era spy stuff, but there's only so much you can do with that I suppose.

I hate how the CIA is now an overseeing entity and (the agency formerly known as ISIS) is always on their "last mission" to prove to some separate group that they're competent. First, who gives a gently caress, Delta Force couldn't complete its only goal. The CIA fucks up all the time. Let Archer be the super-spy who fucks around because he's that good. There's no reason to fake tension because we know they're not going to lose.

what was delta forces goal

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

How do you NOT like Archer

pretty easily

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if a cartoon aint venture bros or king of the hill or south park if your high then gently caress it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Archer Vice was dumb and a huge disappointment at the time. I have now gone back and watched those episodes again, and can kind of appreciate them on there own merit, but as part of Archer as a whole they are like a bad dream.

Archer before Vice was great because they developed characters and you got used to how the characters interacted. During Vice everything changed. Not just their situation, but the characters themselves. Pam became skinny coked up Pam. Lana was pregnant. Cheryl became a country western singer. Etc..

I think Vice would have been better, and still could have been the shake up the show needed, if the characters personalities hadn't changed so much. Still have ISIS die, still have them move into the Tunt mansion, you could still have them be cocaine dealers but have them do it on the side, while the team actually became high level bounty hunters, or were simply hired to do black ops by the CIA, but the CIA didn't control them. But don't gently caress with the characters... the characters are good.

I understand where you're coming from but you really do have to respect the balls of an established show willing to turn over the board and try to set up an entirely new status quo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I liked Sealab and I like King of the Hill (a lot) but I think Archer is terrible, is something wrong with me?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wafflz posted:

I liked Sealab and I like King of the Hill (a lot) but I think Archer is terrible, is something wrong with me?

yeah it means you dont have the sense of humor of a tard

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Goons like Archer because he is autistic just like them.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Applewhite posted:

Goons like Archer because he is autistic just like them.

yeah but he gets laid

oh wait, it's aspirational tv

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

i like archer and its funny; it makes good jokes. also, it makes me laugh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

yeah it means you dont have the sense of humor of a tard

I actually don't hate Archer but yeah p. much this.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

mind the walrus posted:

I understand where you're coming from but you really do have to respect the balls of an established show willing to turn over the board and try to set up an entirely new status quo.

It took a ton of balls, but it was a mistake none the less. It felt like they had a meeting about how to refresh the show, and they just accepted everyone's off the wall ideas. It feels like someone should have taken a step back and just said wait a minute... we're really doing this?

In all honesty after the first couple of weeks of Vice I wanted to believe that the whole season was going to be a huge prank on fans of the shows. Like the last episode of that season was going to explain "hey we just did this whole season to gently caress with you, things will be back to normal next year... you morons". Now that I would have respected and enjoyed much more.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

Archer is basically piss and fart jokes with a few irrelevant pop couture jokes about poo poo that happened 30 to 50 years ago.

So, yeah, for spergs.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
sealab, frisky dingo, archer, king of the hill and venture brothers all own and are funny. some of them may be more ownaging than others, but they are all good to watch.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

West SAAB Story posted:

Archer is basically piss and fart jokes with a few irrelevant pop couture jokes about poo poo that happened 30 to 50 years ago.

So, yeah, for spergs.

Its not really though.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I put one of my friends down on this show and the last time we hung out his girlfriend said "thanks a lot for telling him about the idiot cartoon show with all the sex jokes. He wont shut up about it now"

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I put one of my friends down on this show and the last time we hung out his girlfriend said "thanks a lot for telling him about the idiot cartoon show with all the sex jokes. He wont shut up about it now"
"hingway to DENGER ZOM!!!" -armser

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

quakster posted:

"hingway to DENGER ZOM!!!" -armser

Exactly. I like but theres something about it that makes people parrot it constantly. Like chapelle show or the simpsons.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i could handle people quoting chappelle show. that nigga suit made of bathroom wallpaper

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

i could handle people quoting chappelle show. that nigga suit made of bathroom wallpaper

"Game... Blouses."

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Archer is cruel and funny. Cruelly funny. Sometimes that's what I need.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

mind the walrus posted:

In other words, Archer is The Who while Adult Swim cartoons are Prog Rock--there's a lot of overlap in fans but The Who are always going to be more acceptable to the average schmuck to know and quote, even if he does listen to Yes albums and The King in Crimson when no one else is around.

Actually a decent analogy. Also reminds me of Venture Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyY2zq6L2ew

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 31, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

King of the Hill is better if you've from the south, but it is not required.

Squidbillies otoh is impenetrable if you are not familiar with the rural southeast.

archer owns, venture bros owns, king of the hill owns, squidbillies owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Exactly. I like but theres something about it that makes people parrot it constantly. Like chapelle show or the simpsons.

oh no, how terrible, someone quotes their favorite show, truly this is the end of all things

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
Shouldn't this be in the TV IV? I mean, you people have just as lovely opinions im sure, so u should go there instead of making threads about how you dislike shows?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Eonwe posted:

oh no, how terrible, someone quotes their favorite show, truly this is the end of all things

:wth:

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

somethingsomething coconuts

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Irrational Bees posted:

Shouldn't this be in the TV IV? I mean, you people have just as lovely opinions im sure, so u should go there instead of making threads about how you dislike shows?

why do you care about a topic being made in GBS

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the virgin sanctity of only real authentic discussion and debates and funny things in gbs must be maintained

(we're all unfunny monkeys in a zoo flinging poo at the wall, some of it sticks, most of it slides down leaving a long poo poo streak and rests on the floor for days until we eat it for dessert and fling reeaten poo poo again and again in perpetuity)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 31, 2015

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Eonwe posted:

why do you care about a topic being made in GBS

Because its like the only threads that get made and stay relevant are stupid opinions on shows or dumb rear end poo poo like that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
strong opinions about cartoons ITT

naem
May 29, 2011

Archer is the gateway drug for drunken adult cartoon consumption

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

archer king of the hill frisky dingo sealab 2021 are all super good

home movies too