Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

rick and morty is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

How is rick and morty?

Genuinely good but vastly overrated, exactly like early Community. I do have to give it extra credit for re-introducing "Cronenbergs" into the shallow end of the nerd pool's lexicon.

casual beep
Mar 28, 2015

What am I gonna run around like some teeny bopper somewhere for someone elses money? I make the money man, I roll the nickels. The game is mine. I deal the cards

mind the walrus posted:

Genuinely good but vastly overrated, exactly like early Community. I do have to give it extra credit for re-introducing "Cronenbergs" into the shallow end of the nerd pool's lexicon.

no one even knows the show exists how is it overrated

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

casual beep posted:

no one even knows the show exists how is it overrated

Nah, its not WELL known, but definitely has a fanbase and all. The assessment is pretty solid though.

casual beep
Mar 28, 2015

What am I gonna run around like some teeny bopper somewhere for someone elses money? I make the money man, I roll the nickels. The game is mine. I deal the cards

Dandywalken posted:

Nah, its not WELL known, but definitely has a fanbase and all. The assessment is pretty solid though.

i disagree because i would hardly call a small but dedicated cadre of fans who watch a show that most people haven't even heard of or seen as being 'overrated'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

casual beep posted:

i disagree because i would hardly call a small but dedicated cadre of fans who watch a show that most people haven't even heard of or seen as being 'overrated'

It's exactly like early Community in that the people who love it love it way too loving much and won't shut the gently caress up about how great it is, not that it's well-known.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

casual beep posted:

counterpoint: Firefly fans

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah you may be right. They're just vocal as gently caress, and sort of sing its praises and poo poo while getting really defensive in the process.

Its kinda like Dark Souls in that regard, if you play childrens video games. Probably a decent amount of crossover between the fan-groups too really :shrug:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

childrens video games

where are grownup video games

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

counterpoint: Firefly fans

Also very true, and I like Firefly a lot more than Rick and Morty.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

where are grownup video games

According to most people? Nowhere. gently caress 'em. Play what you want anyway.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Thought this said Archie for a second and was gonna say "gently caress you if you can't appreciate Archie" but I dunno what this Archer thing is about is he a new character in Archie please respond.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like rick and morty and videogames :(

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The first couple seasons were good but then it became too self-referential and up its own rear end. Also what a bunch of pussies for not monopolizing on the ISIS name and dropping it instead.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

It's exactly like early Community in that the people who love it love it way too loving much and won't shut the gently caress up about how great it is, not that it's well-known.

i have never heard these people, but i dont think its hyperbole to say its a top tier adult swim show, up there with venture bros and metalocalypse.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Doflamingo posted:

The first couple seasons were good but then it became too self-referential and up its own rear end. Also what a bunch of pussies for not monopolizing on the ISIS name and dropping it instead.

i read about this and yea its a chickenshit move

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles

Doflamingo posted:

Also what a bunch of pussies for not monopolizing on the ISIS name and dropping it instead.

SNL is willing to make ISIS jokes, which means that beneath their thin veneer of mean-spirited frat toilet humor the Archer writers are actually more boring and safe than Lorne Michaels.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im isis

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this is the man children cartoon thread now?

ok ive been wondering about this for a while since i binged thru venture bros on netflix recently : for a show that seems to take itself way more seriously than it should, do they ever address the fact that dr orpheus originally came out of the weird pleasure chamber with the dea(d/f) football player? like what the hell, the door opens and he walks out and it's never mentioned again, in a show that loves being self referential like some kind of masturbating ouroboros

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
south park not even being discussed because none of these fag league puppet shows even hold a candle to the parker/stone experience

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
i don't like it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ryoshi posted:

ok ive been wondering about this for a while since i binged thru venture bros on netflix recently : for a show that seems to take itself way more seriously than it should,

That's why I stopped watching sometime into season 3. I didn't want a deeply intricate story, it worked just fine as a parody of Johnny Quest / Superhero cartoons. It's funny how much more detailed the episode descriptions get per season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Venture_Bros._episodes

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

That's why I stopped watching sometime into season 3. I didn't want a deeply intricate story, it worked just fine as a parody of Johnny Quest / Superhero cartoons. It's funny how much more detailed the episode descriptions get per season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Venture_Bros._episodes

:agreed: though i think the later seasons are still really good television, relatively

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Archer is great.

Whether it's because Archer is great, or because everything else on television is crap, we may truly never know.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nascardad posted:

i don't like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

also if you listen to the commentary on venture bros season 1 the creators spend a lot of time discussing which character they'd gently caress

makes u think

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stoic Commie posted:

south park not even being discussed because none of these fag league puppet shows even hold a candle to the parker/stone experience

Lol South Park has been an undead show for like half a decade now alongside Family Guy and The Simpsons.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

jfc all these people gushing over Frisky Dingo like it wasn't a giant piece of poo poo

Archer isn't funny. They ran out of material in the second season and it's been basically self-referentialism and lowest common denominator dick and gay jokes since.

But H. John Benjamin is a great voice actor, and he has (and I am loathe to paraphrase family guy on this) the Seth Rogen effect. Everything he says sounds like it was funny, even if it had no substantively funny content.

In short the show isn't funny, but H John Benjamin makes it feel funny so he is unequivocally the greatest voice actor ever.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Lol South Park has been an undead show for like half a decade now alongside Family Guy and The Simpsons.

the episode where they went ziplining and got so bored that they turned into real actors on a boat somewhere was funny

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah south park has been bad a long time but if you don't like the first couple seasons you are mentally broken

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is h jon benjamin's weird live action sketch comedy show still running because that was incredible in how weird it was

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

is h jon benjamin's weird live action sketch comedy show still running because that was incredible in how weird it was

that show sucked

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Frog Act posted:

that show sucked

shut up idiot

you think the first couple of seasons of south park weren't childish garbage

idiot

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

opinions on cartoons are literally what separate us from the animals

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blue Raider posted:

THAT loving show is a completely different animal all together

I totally expected it to be something like Bob's Burgers or whatever.

It, uh, definitely was not.

Jesus christ that show was a curveball.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I totally expected it to be something like Bob's Burgers or whatever.

It, uh, definitely was not.

Jesus christ that show was a curveball.

understatement of the year

i should rewatch that but the first ep or two is really really bad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ryoshi posted:

that was H Jon Benjamin Has a Van. it was good, but kinda weird, and the last ep was :wtf:

and no, it didnt get renewed for a second season by comedy central.

maybe after the fuckin dumb poo poo larry widmore show and trevor noah TDS tanks like a rock, they'll bring it back in desperation of anything.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 1, 2015

AdolfHitler
Mar 21, 2009
cartoons loving suck

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
South Park has always, always been very hit-or-miss. It's worst era was maybe 2007/8 through 2011/12 when every single episode followed the same psuedo-drama crisis/commentary/repeat the same joke formula. But even then there were a handful of great episodes. Since season 16 (most recent season was season 18) they've mostly dropped that formula and the show has improved significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm watching late season simpsons episode because i am too anxious to pull up anything new and it's better than the silence of my empty home.

• Locked thread