Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

I haven't been up on Adult Swim shows since I got a job and moved out of my parent's house, but the shows that the same people behind Archer were involved in--Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo--had very similar formatting and animation-styles but played to the burnout/nerd crowd explicitly. Sealab took an obscure weird-rear end cartoon about a sea base and made it into the setting for absurdist riffs that could go in any direction at any time. Frisky Dingo married a serial continuity and made the absurdism far more about verbal and character interplay but was still mired in nerd conventions like an explicit Iron Man/SHIELD riff and a weird-rear end demon dude.

Archer doesn't really do anything different from those shows conceptually in terms of its humor, except for one key difference-- it's much more self-conscious and focused on winning an audience. A part of this is that the vocal talent all come from much more "mainstream" comedy which tempers the instinct of those "behind the camera" to go too obscure or experimental. The spy setting is much more "classy" and aesthetically acceptable to jocks/so-called "normal" people and all the major characters all cut very aesthetically attractive figures. The humor is often punctuated with glamorous rich living, sex with beautiful people, and violence. The memetic humor is still in the Frisky Dingo mold but with much more conventional timing and its references are to things that are much more acceptable to be a manchild about-- 80s power ballads, ocelots, RUSH, the simple knowledge that anime waifus are a thing that exists. In other words, Archer is The Who while Adult Swim cartoons are Prog Rock--there's a lot of overlap in fans but The Who are always going to be more acceptable to the average schmuck to know and quote, even if he does listen to Yes albums and The King in Crimson when no one else is around.

I don't enjoy Archer despite enjoying it's similar shows but I've never been able to articulate why. Thank you.

Also it's hilarious that people see "classy rich attractive spies" and mistake this as smart television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

If you were a halfway recovered former bro flipping channels maybe after a bad breakup and saw BOOBS on the screen and were like "wait did that guy just say loving haha what is this" it could quite possibly lead you down a dark path of adult cartoons and maybe even Internet posting

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
archer spongebob regular show adventure time and american dad before it switched channel are top tier cartoons

Green Hill Friendzone
Oct 27, 2013

Every show mentioned in this thread is good except Archer wow

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Archer is slowly going to poo poo after two or three good seasons, like every other cartoon that depends entirely on cynical/offensive humor.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
Archer and parks and recreation and community are all overrated by internet enthusiast dorks

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
People who wish they were successful writers on a TV show ITT

A Great Beard
Jan 31, 2007

i am wearing 3D glasses so your applebottom pops out at me.
i have a roommate who has had this one line from archer as her text ringtone:
"oh my god you killer a hooker!" "call girl!" "no cyril when they're dead they're just hookers"

for 5 loving years

i hate this show and anyone who watches it tbh

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ninotoreS posted:

so Archer must have officially gotten too popular now, since all these goons here are pretending it's bad so they can feel special

bingo

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rand alPaul posted:

Frisky Dingo was a way better show.

I find Sterling to be quite grating yet I loved Xander Crews and Killface.

I was disappointed they returned to the status quo after the crime season. Part of what made Frisky Dingo so awesome is it utterly trashed the original concept almost out of the gate and went off the reservation with the pedal to the floor.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Great Beard posted:

"oh my god you killer a hooker!" "call girl!" "no cyril when they're dead they're just hookers"

for 5 loving years

epic

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A Great Beard posted:

for 5 loving years

nobody likes you on this site or in real life, hth

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There aren't many characters like Pam on TV

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Arian_Samurai posted:

There aren't many characters like Pam on TV

Good

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i actually like archer more than frisky dingo :shrug:

'though i only caught FD occasionally when it was on and never got that into it

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I hate media not directed at shut in nerds

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

its incredible that people are somehow too pretentious for archer but like frisky dingo when, in reality, they both own

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Professor Tomtom posted:

I hate media not directed at shut in nerds
And media directly specifically at shut in nerds.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im gonna go out on a limb and say that south park is much better than archer, on dry turf, in the cold endless vacuum of a void

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

I think archer is better than frisky dingo

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

It's your karma for talking poo poo about everybody that doesn't like Arrested Development.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I liked the Pelswick reference someone made earlier in that thread. More shows need badass grannies imho.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Irrational Bees posted:

People who wish they were successful writers on a TV show ITT

Oh my christ no. You ever tried television writing? Absolutely miserable and joyless experience.

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I think archer is better than frisky dingo

It probably is, but I like Frisky Dingo better.

Eustachy posted:

Archer and parks and recreation and community are all overrated by internet enthusiast dorks

And Rick and Morty. That's not going to win me friends, but it's true. None are bad, at least in a technical sense. The problem is that all four of those shows are very focused on being accessible to moderate dorks who like nerd culture but are too socially adept to go full-bore and risk being actually alienating to anyone; they're the kind-of schmucks who buy Tardis-themed gear on Thinkgeek or a Pixel Mario throw pillow off of Etsy to have around their cubicle and proudly say "yeah I'm nerd, but I also have a life" There's nothing wrong with that, but odds are good that if you post on SomethingAwful or even 4chan you find that attitude grating after a point.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

archer thinks its funnier than it is, and even if its still kinda funny sometimes, that is a lovely quality to have. i freakin loved frisky dingo and i love everything else j benjamin did so maybe i just think it should be a lot better

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
*Characters have a long argument during a car chase or shootout, which never gets old even after 1,000 times.*

A Great Beard
Jan 31, 2007

i am wearing 3D glasses so your applebottom pops out at me.
H Jon Benjamin is the only good thing about this lovely show

archer is just a shitcom cartoon for boring people to binge watch when they run out of portlandia and south park episodes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Great Beard posted:

H Jon Benjamin is the only good thing about this lovely show

Almost the entire cast deserves praise to be honest. Aisha Tyler and Chris Parnell in particular make a lot out of really thankless roles. The Arrested Development holdovers-- I forget their names the old lady and the secretary--are probably the worst though. The writers also seriously need to jump off the Pam boner. Yes we get it she's a bigger lady but she's tough and sexy and there are way more dimensions to her than her appearance would suggest, but she's not a goddess-made-flesh or anything.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sealab and Frisky Dingo are two of my top 5 favorite cartoons ever but I don't like Archer at all

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Space Ghost: Coast to Coast started this entire re-purposed Hanna Barbera poo poo and it's still the funniest of them all.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Bob's burgers is the best cartoon on television

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

archer thinks its funnier than it is, and even if its still kinda funny sometimes, that is a lovely quality to have.

yet here we are posting in gbs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mans posted:

yet here we are posting in gbs

The only people who ever think GBS is actually funny get run out pretty quickly and are universally mocked. There's good reason we enshrine every marginally decent thread for posterity .

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Bob's burgers is the best cartoon on television

Bob's burgers is pretty good, i feel they are more clever with their humor to keep to a PG rating

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

One of my friends got really mad at KOTH and stopped watching because it made fun of a liberal once. Its my favorite show and yea you need to live or be from the South to 100% appreciate the subtleties a lot of shows are like that.

king of the hill making fun of liberals is an even worse "the truth is in the middle" that south park tries

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
king of the hill isn't really good. it's just good because of the super quality youtube poops

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

archer thinks its funnier than it is, and even if its still kinda funny sometimes, that is a lovely quality to have. i freakin loved frisky dingo and i love everything else j benjamin did so maybe i just think it should be a lot better

One thing that I have noticed is they've toned all the characters way down, rather than ramping them up, from where they started.

I watched the first season somewhat recently and it felt like a different show.

ColoradoCleric posted:

king of the hill making fun of liberals is an even worse "the truth is in the middle" that south park tries

For what it's worth, South Park kind of said gently caress it to that a few seasons back. It's been pretty opinionated lately even if you don't always agree with it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i like many of the cartoons discussed here.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

One thing that I have noticed is they've toned all the characters way down, rather than ramping them up, from where they started.

I watched the first season somewhat recently and it felt like a different show.

They're treating these over the top one dimensional characters like real people and making them interact now with pathos and subtlety, I'm kinda impressed

• Locked thread