Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Drawing dicks on the Herald Sun really needs to go to town on that gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Erica Betz got in trouble for fantasising vividly about a commonwealth employee that had sex in a motel on the job

e; ^^ she's most well-known for being on the Project and writing articles for Women's Day or some poo poo now I think

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

MUYB I feel your posts have taken a turn for the excellent lately

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

God drat, all I did was laugh at a joke and now I'm making GBS threads on the poor.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, FROGMAN

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Kommando posted:

Netflix adopters have realised Australian Internet is poo poo, really poo poo and started complaining. iinet blames Telstra.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/iinet-blames-telstra-for-slow-netflix-connection-speeds-20150331-1mblrj.html

Just wait until the average family realise that they can't run two Netflix streams at once on Australian ADSL or FTTN.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Zenithe posted:

April Fools?

I did notice when signing up that you have the option of getting 4 simultaneous screens running at ultra HD. Can any Australian home even do that?

My home connection and 4k TV can manage one stream, but no more and only just. It's around 14mbps for 4k on Netflix iirc, and my connection is like 13.5mbps.

breaking bad looks great in 4k though

Murodese fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 2, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Telstra's HFC network (which are the plans that go up to 100mbit) get around 15mbps in my area, Optus get around 20mbps. Shared mediums don't work that well :v:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

OTOH Cash's hairstyle really reflects the era that the Liberal Party are currently residing in.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Completely forgot that was still going.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Does anyone have that Abbott quote on how he left the church because he felt they were too kind to poor's?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Ten Becquerels posted:

Serco continues to be worse than useless, and somehow Fiona Stanley becomes even more of a stuff up. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-03/blood-and-bone-fragments-found-on-sterilised-equipment/6370096

I was chatting with my dad, who runs a pharmacy and knows a few of the docs that moved in there after the place opened, and apparently they just haven't been at all prepared for the sheer number of people they're dealing with, on top of all the other administrative gently caress-ups and that stupidity with the attempt to go completely paperless. He said that he'd heard that the traffic through the ED alone was somewhere around 50% more than they'd planned for, and that maybe that's why these things aren't getting cleaned properly.

Double, from memory. They were expecting 12k patients for the first 6 months? and they're on track for something like 30k so far.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Ten Becquerels posted:

What method did they use to predict how many patients they'd be getting, because it looks like however they figured it out was pretty useless. Or are patient numbers based on their staffing levels?

Either way, there are apparently a lot more sick people kicking around than the government was aware of, and presumably a lot of people who weren't getting the care they needed for whatever reason. Hopefully they figure out some way to cope with the demand, because I can't see it doing anything besides increase as time goes on, especially since they're downsizing or planning to close/replace older hospitals in the city.

They basically took the current traffic to Fremantle's ED and added a bit on, without realising that they're now getting a lot of traffic not only from the south-eastern suburbs surrounding Murdoch and Fremantle, but also Rockingham, Kwinana and the million suburbs that've sprung up along the freeway.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

There's some really loving cool technology in it for Serco to horribly mismanage

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Haha, are they really trying to put a presentable face on a neo-nazi organisation? That's pretty fantastic.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I see you got hold of Independent Australia's graphic archive

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

starkebn posted:

Hah , that's exactly what I was thinking of but I had it backwards. Shows how reliable my memory is.

No, that happened as well.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 45 (-1) ALP 55 (+1) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly Primary Votes: L/NP 38 (+1) ALP 39 (+1) GRN 12 (0) Others 11 (-2) #auspol

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly Abbott: Approve 27 (-8) Disapprove 65 (+10) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly Shorten: Approve 37 (0) Disapprove 45 (+2) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly Preferred PM: Abbott 34 (-3) Shorten 44 (+3) #auspol

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly NSW Federal 2PP: L/NP 46 (0) ALP 54 (0) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly NSW Federal Primaries: L/NP 39 (+1) ALP 39 (0) GRN 12 (+1) Others 10 (-2) #auspol

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly VIC Federal 2PP: L/NP 41 (+1) ALP 59 (-1) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly VIC Federal Primaries: L/NP 34 (+1) ALP 41 (+2) GRN 14 (-3) Others 11 (0) #auspol

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly QLD Federal 2PP: L/NP 50 (+2) ALP 50 (-2) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly QLD Federal Primaries: L/NP 42 (+4) ALP 37 (0) GRN 9 (0) Others 12 (-4) #auspol

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly WA Federal 2PP: L/NP 46 (-7) ALP 54 (+7) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly WA Federal Primaries: L/NP 38 (-6) ALP 37 (+7) GRN 13 (-2) Others 12 (+1) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly WA Abbott: Approve 25 (-17) Disapprove 66 (+18) #auspol

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly SA Federal 2PP: L/NP 47 (+1) ALP 53 (-1) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly SA Federal Primaries: L/NP 36 (+1) ALP 36 (-2) GRN 9 (0) Others 19 (+1) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly SA Abbott: Approve 19 (-11) Disapprove 74 (+14) #auspol

Not actually sure why WA's went down so much.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

QLD went up for the LNP????

#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly QLD Federal 2PP: L/NP 50 (+2) ALP 50 (-2) #auspol
#Newspoll Jan-Mar Quarterly WA Federal 2PP: L/NP 46 (-7) ALP 54 (+7) #auspol

Checkmate, CrazyTolradi.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Some of that's because the state LNP are also on the nose and there's a massive drop in mining employment (they've lost about 25% in the last 6 months or so).

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I dunno who's paying for these polls considering the next WA election isn't until 2017, but lol:

#Newspoll WA State 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 48 (-2) ALP 52 (+2) #wapol #auspol
#Newspoll WA State Primary Votes: LIB 34 (0) NAT 6 (-2) ALP 35 (+2) GRN 14 (-1) #wapol #auspol
#Newspoll WA Barnett LIB: Approve 38 (+1) Disapprove 53 (+4) #wapol #auspol
#Newspoll WA McGowan ALP: Approve 53 (+5) Disapprove 28 (+1) #wapol #auspol
#Newspoll WA Preferred Premier: Barnett LIB 38 (-1) McGowan ALP 44 (+4) #wapol #auspol

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Post-surgical complications is a great buzzword to use, as well.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Nuclear Spy posted:

It is ironic, given the movie is about a man smuggling yet to be approved anti-HIV drugs into Texas to treat himself and others while facing opposition from the Food and Drug Administration.

By the way, paging anyone who is good with scraping online data (Murodese?) - in regards to the recent NSW State Election, is it possible to quickly scrape the data of state electorate polling booths and convert the results to Federal electorates?

For example:
Here are the polling booths in Ablo's seat of Grayndler.

Grayndler covers parts of the State Electorates of Canterbury, Heffron, Balmain, Newtown and Strathfield - according to Ablo's site (I added Newtown and removed Marrickville).

Scraping the First Preference data of each of the polling booths and matching the state booths against the federal booths will then allow us to get an approximation of where we sit.

Someone I know from the Greens did this manually, but I'm sure there is a way to automate this:

By the way, his approximate prediction for Grayndler based on these numbers was Greens 32, ALP 39 and Libs 22. Assuming a) the Libs preference us last and b) the split is similar to Melbourne, the ALP would win 55-45.

Yeah, maybe. I'll take a look.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Self-plug, here's one of my old papers (http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/13195/1/ethical_Issues_in_peer-to-peer_network_monitoring.pdf) in which we calculated that piracy over a period of 1 year (taking into account the maximum penalty in the US) was worth $24 trillion, or 150% of total US GDP.

nope

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Nuclear Spy posted:

It is ironic, given the movie is about a man smuggling yet to be approved anti-HIV drugs into Texas to treat himself and others while facing opposition from the Food and Drug Administration.

By the way, paging anyone who is good with scraping online data (Murodese?) - in regards to the recent NSW State Election, is it possible to quickly scrape the data of state electorate polling booths and convert the results to Federal electorates?

Yeah, possible but tricky. Polling booths have different names in each system, annoyingly.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Nuclear Spy posted:

True, although the street address of the Grayndler list tends to be more accurate than the Polling booth name.

But the NSW db doesn't provide booth addresses :v:

e; I can do this without a lot of effort, did you want to jump on IRC and tell me exactly what you want?

Murodese fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 7, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Allah be praised

It's an Ice taskforce, so expect a lot of noise and not a lot of action.

That's been softened to an Awareness Campaign

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

are u nigel small

no he's some rear end in a top hat that stole my paper and put himself as first author

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Matthew Beet posted:

It's okay bro, size doesn't matter.

A phrase most commonly used by those that wish it to be true :geno:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

It's okay Beet, I still love you even though you have a small penis

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Quick, someone in Townsville needs to change them from within

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

Hah small world, I'm mate's irl with one of the authors of that paper. He's left Australia now though.

Kevin? He's my old MSci supervisor and is still my 10% PhD supervisor.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

GREAT BIG TAX ON HARDWORKING AUSTRALIAN FAMILIES MISTER SPEAKER

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Probably pretty good since he is both tall and a good person

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

By freezing it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-10/disabilty-hearings-in-perth-report-rape-neglect/6384308

quote:

People with disabilities raped, beaten, neglected while in care, hearing told
By Nicolas Perpitch

Horrific abuse claims detailed

People with disabilities have been found severely neglected, repeatedly raped, with broken bones and left humiliated in their own faeces for hours at a time, a Senate inquiry has been told.

The inquiry into the abuse and neglect of people with disabilities in residential and institutional settings began hearings in Perth today.

Witnesses recounted scores of examples of assault by the people who had been entrusted to care for the victims in aged care homes, group homes for people with disabilities and mental health centres.

Women with Disabilities WA coordinator Rayna Lamb said the abuse of disabled people was chronically underreported, largely because victims were often not believed or could not communicate what had happened.

"It's so common," she said outside the hearing.

"On one hand, it's assumed no one would treat a person with a disability badly. People just want to care for people with disabilities.

"But we live in a society where the attitude to disability means predators know that they can attack us, that they can abuse us, that they can treat us like poo poo because who is going to believe it?"

Ms Lamb said non-verbal people were particularly vulnerable because often when they expressed their anguish through actions, such as repeatedly banging their heads or screaming, it was wrongly interpreted as part of their disability.

Accountability lacking, cases 'go nowhere'

A group of six women from the disability advocacy group Bolshy Divas gave collective evidence before the hearing, citing 40 examples where disabled people had been severely beaten or raped.

They are worried about retribution, ... instead of dealing with the issue they tend to move residential facility or just sweep it under the carpet.

They told the hearing about a 12-year-old girl who came home from a school holiday camp for disabled children with a deep cut to her vagina.

Police investigated but the child had no spoken language and could not give an account.

"Basically, there's no accountability and it goes nowhere," Bolshy Divas' Samantha Connor said outside the hearing.

Quoting figures from Women With Disabilities Australia, Ms Connor said 90 per cent of women with intellectual disabilities were sexually abused.

Calling for a royal commission into the treatment of people with disabilities, she described institutions as the "perfect places" for abuse to occur.

"Institutional settings are just breeding grounds for people to be deprived of independent advocacy," Ms Connor said.

Acting chief executive of Advocare Sharon Richards told the hearing the rights of people with disabilities were constantly contravened.

She said one woman with dementia in a residential facility had to wear incontinence pads but they were only changed twice a day, making her feel uncomfortable and humiliated.

She told the hearing about an 80-year-old woman found to have green and yellow bruises and a badly fractured femur that had not been attended to.

Another woman was allegedly left with an injury to the top of her head after being hit with the buzzer used to call staff.

Ms Richards said people with disabilities often did not report abuse because they feared retribution from people within the facility they lived in.

"They are very vulnerable and unable, more often than not, to speak up for themselves," she said.

"They are worried about retribution, and, as I said in the hearing, instead of dealing with the issue they tend to move residential facility or just sweep it under the carpet."

The lack of family support compounded the problem, the hearing was told.

"A lot of women with disabilities do not have family support," Ms Lamb said.

"The family is often the source of our greatest oppression."

The hearing continues.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The only problem I really have with stuff like that is that very few people are going to catch the reference.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

Just saw on ABC news. Only 1.7% of people rejecting immunization who do it are conscientious objectors - including religion.

e: gently caress, grammar.

Got a link for this? Can't find it, and I'm curious why the other 98% of people reject immunisation (medical reasons?).

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Wait, you mean 1.7% of people that don't get immunised? vs actively choosing against immunisation.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Incidentally, if anyone needs access to an HTTPS Usenet indexer for the purposes of downloading linux isos and public domain ebooks you can PM me.

• Locked thread