Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Looking like the Nats will hang on to Lismore.

It's looking seriously close. from what I've read the Greens should be favoured by the 11,000+ postal votes still to be counted, perhaps not as much as originally anticipated but I have a hope that they'll pull through in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
In some better news,

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/greyhound-dumping-police-arrest-two-people-20150402-1mdutl.html
Greyhound dumping: Police arrest two people

Police have arrested two people, one of them a licensed greyhound trainer, in connection with the dumping of 55 dead greyhounds in bushland near Bundaberg.

Investigators executed a search warrant at a Bundaberg property late Thursday afternoon, allegedly locating a rifle and ammunition.

A 71-year-old Bundaberg man was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.

A 64-year-old Bundaberg woman and licensed greyhound trainer has been charged with one count each of unlawful possession of a firearm and obstructing police.

They will face Bundaberg Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Earlier on Thursday Police Minister Jo-Ann Miller condemned the "mass murder" of the dogs.

"The people who have perpetrated this crime to me are oxygen thieves, they are cowards, and they are pathetic," she said.

"The Palaszczuk Labor government will not tolerate animal cruelty in Queensland.

"It is very very important that we catch these people and have the justice system deal with them."

The joint QPS/RSPCA taskforce said the site, within the Wild Flower Reserve in Coonarr, was likely a commonly known place to dump dogs.

Inspectors uncovered a number of spent .22 bullet cartridges near the 55 decomposing carcasses.

Detective Inspector Mark Ainsworth said the discovery was "nothing short of abhorrent" and urged those involved to confess.

"You know who you are, you know what you've been involved in, and now's the time to stand up and be counted and come forward," he said.

"It'll only be a matter of time before we get around to knocking on everyone's door."

Assuming they're the people responsible for this, it should be fairly easy to tie them to it with ballistics checks.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Jumpingmanjim posted:

[timg]Abbott misleading[/timg]

What did he say now?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
e: beaten like the Democrats at every election

Ler fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 16, 2015

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

quote:

Kevin Bonham ‏@kevinbonham 7m7 minutes ago
Australian Democrats deregistered by AEC - not enough members. Prob won't stop them fighting over who the real party is. #auspol

noice

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
On the TPP, here's a month old article by John Quiggin, linking for length:

http://insidestory.org.au/the-trans-pacific-partnership-it-might-be-about-trade-but-its-far-from-free

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

thanks for this, it's actually not long at all. 2095 words so anybody who hasn't read anything about the TPP (or parallel trade negotiations) should give it a glance

Re TPP, This was just posted
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/16/fast-track-trade_n_7078804.html
I've very tired so I've only skimmed over it, choice quote:

quote:

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio)
“Staff can get access to DoD documents, often to Iran sanctions documents, to CIA briefings, but we can’t get access to Trans-Pacific Partnership texts,”

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Nonsense posted:

I'm going to regret this...

I am a lecturer at a prominent University in Sydney - teaching post-graduate media and communications.

50 percent of my students are international students... and I struggle to even speak to them conversationally, let alone understand a huge chunk of what they turn in when they write their assignments.

18 months ago, I had a student who could barely ask me where the bathroom was... and the assignment she turned in, from paragraph to paragraph, varied between unintelligble nonsense and perfect, crisply-written English.

so I Googled the English language bits - and then spent 2 hours cataloguing every website from which she had cut and paste 70% of her assignment.

I reported it to the faculty, we went through an enormous amount of departmental bullshit, we got to the end of semester... and her final mark was 48%.

Her parents threatened to sue - and I thought at the time 'good luck doing that from Beijing...'

The department changed her grade to 50%, she passed, and graduated with the rest of her class that year.

I don't know why I bother, sometimes... it breaks my heart - because I'm lecturing with exactly the same postgrad degree that these students are cheating their way towards.

As a lowly undergrad doing BSc Commerce at USyd (yes, kill me), during an exam for an accounting exam myself and 5 others saw our teacher helping foreign students cheat. No joke, they had text books and notes with them during the exam, actively passing them around right in front of the teacher - he sat directly in front of them.
At first we were confused and thought maybe it was open book, so at the end of the exam we asked him what was going on. He denied the whole thing had ever occurred, there was no books he said, coming off very much like the Iraqi communications minister because the students walked past him with their books in their hands as he said this. Some of the other students pushed harder and went to the faculty dean to which that person did nothing about it because of a 'lack of evidence'. Woop.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
https://twitter.com/openlabor
This reeks of *change from within*, otherwise known as steal Greens policies because we fear they're going to take more of our votes.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

noob steamID

STEAM_0:0 REPRESENT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

dr_rat posted:

Looking up road safety stats for developing countries is usually a very depressingly bad idea. [/spoiler]

Among many contributing factors: They almost always have poorly developed roads, in many cases non-existent street lighting and poor emergency response which all adds to the list of injuries and fatalities in these developing countries with high levels of motorcycle use.

• Locked thread