Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Is obamacare good are bad. If so what is good about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What could possibly go wrong with a health care bill written by the health insurance industry.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I called the Death Panel on my Obamaphone and they said they were Taxed Enough Already!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obamacare is awesome. We get to shutdown our government and bicker endlessly over a limpwristed bill written by assholes.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
It got my brother-in-law and mother-in-law on insurance, so that's good.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
One big thing:

Medicaid doesn't pay for people at or below the poverty line in all states. It may for example in one state only cover people who are at say 0 - 35% of the poverty level.

Obamacare was designed with the idea that they would force all the states to make Medicaid pay for everyone who is at or below the poverty level.

So, they made the subsidies, which covered people who are at 100% - 400% of the poverty level, with people getting less money they closer they are to 400%.

Except, the bill that would have forced all states to cover people up to 100% of the poverty level didn't pass (or it was repealed due to some lawsuit or something).

So, now, there are states where you may be BELOW the poverty line, and DON'T qualify for EITHER Medicaid OR the Obamacare subsidy. Yet you are REQUIRED BY LAW to PAY for your own health insurance if you don't get it through a job. Edit - Apparently they fixed that.

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 1, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Maldoror posted:

Except, the bill that would have forced all states to cover people up to 100% of the poverty level didn't pass (or it was repealed due to some lawsuit or something).

So, now, there are states where you may be BELOW the poverty line, and DON'T qualify for EITHER Medicaid OR the Obamacare subsidy. Yet you are REQUIRED BY LAW to PAY for your own health insurance if you don't get it through a job.

So it might've worked until libertarians broke it.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Maldoror posted:

One big thing:

Medicaid doesn't pay for people at or below the poverty line in all states. It may for example in one state only cover people who are at say 0 - 35% of the poverty level.

Obamacare was designed with the idea that they would force all the states to make Medicaid pay for everyone who is at or below the poverty level.

So, they made the subsidies, which covered people who are at 100% - 400% of the poverty level, with people getting less money they closer they are to 400%.

So, now, there are states where you may be BELOW the poverty line, and DON'T qualify for EITHER Medicaid OR the Obamacare subsidy. Yet you are REQUIRED BY LAW to PAY for your own health insurance if you don't get it through a job.

States rights!

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

flakeloaf posted:

So it might've worked until libertarians broke it.

That's.... Not really the message I'm getting OP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know anything about healthcare but I get the impression its like putting on a band aid on cancer

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Maldoror posted:

One big thing:

wrong, if you fall in that loophole you are exempt from the mandate

GL getting health insurance tho

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i dont want a panel to kill my grandmother, op

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't want a panel to kill my sick children, OP.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Obamacare is literally communism.

*In the sense that the government consists of corporations that control the "law" rather than actually providing services.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
is this really a thinly veiled thread to whine about republicans

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Republicans are evil shitbags.

There, no more thin veil

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
jon stewart 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

is this really a thinly veiled thread to whine about republicans
Fallout from the itt we are butthurt Democrats thread.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I'm covered by the VA :shrug: but if dealing with them is any indication of how government run healthcare is going to be we are hosed.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Fallout from the soon-to-be Iranian nuclear bomb. Thanks Obama.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Maldoror posted:

One big thing:

Break this down for me. Is Obamacare good or bad.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Sounds like people are saying it's good, but I'm open to other possibilities, such as that it's bad. You can make up your mind immediately, if you want, but I prefer to take stock of the facts and weigh different opinions.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Idk op my job covers medical/dental.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

anything that isn't a violent revolution involving the complete destruction of the capitalist society is bad

that said obamacare is great, i'm a poor as gently caress college student and it allowed me to afford health care. literally as simple as before it existed i could not afford health insurance and after it was passed i could.

still pushing for that violent revolution though

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Maldoror posted:

this is incorrect. if you make too little for a subsidy and your state did not expand medicaid, you do not have to purchase health insurance

see here:

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions-tool/#/results/details/secretary-hardship

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

cams posted:

anything that isn't a violent revolution involving the complete destruction of the capitalist society is bad

that said obamacare is great, i'm a poor as gently caress college student and it allowed me to afford health care. literally as simple as before it existed i could not afford health insurance and after it was passed i could.

still pushing for that violent revolution though

How is your tuition not covering healthcare? What kind of lovely junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-college do you go to?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Maldoror posted:

seriously if you make below the poverty line not only are you not fined at all for not having health coverage, you are given a subsidy to pay for it you stupid oval office

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SopWATh posted:

How is your tuition not covering healthcare? What kind of lovely junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-junior-college do you go to?
hahahahahahahahaha

cams
Mar 28, 2003

seriously it boggles my mind how many people are so separated from reality

that is some "well just go out and tell someone you want a job, they'll put you to work and start paying you right now!" poo poo

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
*insurance prices drop, deductibles go through the roof*

woo preventative healthcare

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

SopWATh posted:

lmao look at this fuking guy from Mars over here

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I'm covered by the VA :shrug: but if dealing with them is any indication of how government run healthcare is going to be we are hosed.
uh are you a useless warplane we can force other countries to buy from us or maintenance on an obsolete piece of artillery? no? why the gently caress do you think you deserve my money?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It's good I have health insurance now. I still can't afford actual health care tho ;\

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Sancho posted:

It's good I have health insurance now. I still can't afford actual health care tho ;\
oh yeah i mean i assume that if i got legit sick or injured i'd either die or bankrupt (so, die) but i mean i can go get a checkup and make sure i don't have cancer or a tumor or the flu or whatever the gently caress for 30 bux so that's dope

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Bad, poor people should die.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

DaveSplitter posted:

Bad, poor people should die.
this but everyone should die

death is progress. imo murder everyone over 50

cams
Mar 28, 2003

oh also anyone that makes over 200k a year

what kind of greedy gently caress needs that much money cheeseburgers and weed are cheap as hell

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

cams posted:

seriously if you make below the poverty line not only are you not fined at all for not having health coverage, you are given a subsidy to pay for it you stupid oval office

not in states that declined the medicaid expansion. for that you can blame the idiotic state legislatures themselves, who are perfectly happy loving over their constituents to make a political point, or the supreme court for allowing the to opt out to begin with

or obama because he's black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

cams posted:

uh are you a useless warplane we can force other countries to buy from us or maintenance on an obsolete piece of artillery? no? why the gently caress do you think you deserve my money?

Because I caught cancer while in the military. They didn't catch it on my separation screening and because I deployed to a combat zone I was allowed 2 years free coverage after being discharged. Since it was thyroid cancer and involving the endocrine system, if any further problems come up they will take care of it. From my understanding since the endocrine system is pretty much involved in a lot all I have to do is show its connection. Now if I break my leg or something I will have to pay a deductible based on my current income.

• Locked thread