Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I want to click "autoupdate" when viewing a thread and it just appends new posts to the bottom of the page and scrolls to them.

You wouldn't have to keep requesting the thread because apparently there's a way to just get the number of unread posts??

I'll help you out a little:
pre:
if(num_unread_posts > 0)
  fetch_and_append_new_posts();
end
THANKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pity bump

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
here's ur bookmarlet op, just drag it to the bookmarks toolbar

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RZA Encryption posted:

You wouldn't have to keep requesting the thread because apparently there's a way to just get the number of unread posts??

dunno about that one op

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
yeah number of unread posts is only available by requesting the forum index page afaik; either way it's a full page request. index is probably more likely to be shorter but if it tends to lead to requesting the thread anyway you're probably better off just going straight for the thread

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

just press f5, op

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also fetching and appending isnt enough, you also need to run a bunch of javascript functions over the post first. so stuff like dealing with TIMG, video tags etc

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i can help with the wiki op

find me on usenet to get in touch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't contribute

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no I mean I WONT contribute

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

just do it with blueprints

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

maniacdevnull posted:

just press f5, op

a good browser should remember the position you were on the page

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

yeah a good browser does except when sa fucks up the urls with anchors

so try this bookmarklet which fixes the anchor problem by loving up your back button instead
JavaScript code:
javascript:(function(){history.pushState('',document.title,location.pathname+location.search);location.reload();})()

pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

works on my machine

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

use firefox op its not great but at least it isnt fuckin google chrome

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

if u use google chrome.. i dont think were gonna get along..

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

pram posted:

putty bump

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

the problem isn't returning to the same place on a refresh, it's having to manually refresh and scroll and then sometimes click "next page". i just want to be able to eat my lunch and not touch my computer while the endless with of yospos continues to unfold before my eyes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

also in case they bring back dpph

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

RZA Encryption posted:

the problem isn't returning to the same place on a refresh, it's having to manually refresh and scroll and then sometimes click "next page". i just want to be able to eat my lunch and not touch my computer while the endless with of yospos continues to unfold before my eyes.

what kind of crazy 3rd world browser are you using op, just get firefox worksforme wontfix

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

what kind of crazy 3rd world browser are you using op, just get firefox worksforme wontfix

are you suggesting that firefox will convert the forums into an autoupdate live-blogging format? i hope so, because that would actually be worth me putting down my bowl of veggies to type this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

just do it with blueprints

imagine the power if u could code everything with them

• Locked thread