Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There is a UFC this weekend, make sure you get your Goonweight picks in: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702701&pagenumber=2#post443426809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
It's really sad that the UFC is basically ignoring Robbie and Rory despite them being there the whole way with Conor and Aldo

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

they were only on 2 or 3 days of the media tour

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.

canoshiz posted:

It's really sad that the UFC is basically ignoring Robbie and Rory despite them being there the whole way with Conor and Aldo

the fight is in July I'm sure they'll get love closer to the event

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Trast posted:

Aldo versus Conor is certainly going to be interesting. I just wish the UFC remembered it had other fights to promote. There are some really fantastic fights coming up that aren't getting any press at all. And don't just say they don't need to be sold because every fight needs promoting.
The next PPV is going to bomb massively no matter what they do (and it's several weeks away yet). After that there isn't a PPV until late May. No real opportunity loss here.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

He was smart to do so, Frankie is one of the worst foils to a strategy based on leg kicks (Weidman is the very worst)--outstanding wrestling technique, great timing and quickness, and freakishly good at catching kicks. For comparison, Conor is an Irish striker who always uses a bladed stance with a wide base, meaning he's pretty much no threat to wrestle on Aldo and his lead leg is going to be in Aldo's wheelhouse the whole fight.

Aside from hoping that Aldo breaks his foot as he did against TKZ, which probably won't happen since Conor won't be able to check effectively from his preferred stance, it's a safe assumption that Conor is going to get his leg punted all over the cage from the first bell.

a good comparable for this would be rory/saffiedine. rory narrowed and squared (relatively) his stance to force saffiedine to get closer when he kicked. he still had a pretty side on stance, and didn't check many kicks, but he was able to use forward pressure to limit saffiedine's ability to throw kicks

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i mean conor throws very few jabs generally, but he does really good with getting in close and pressuring his opponent into engaging him in boxing range, and that's where he excels

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

david carmichael posted:

a good comparable for this would be rory/saffiedine. rory narrowed and squared (relatively) his stance to force saffiedine to get closer when he kicked. he still had a pretty side on stance, and didn't check many kicks, but he was able to use forward pressure to limit saffiedine's ability to throw kicks

I recall one of Rory's ways of shutting down Saffiedine's leg kicks was to throw a bunch of his own.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
after all this theorizing I'm going to be very upset when Aldo obliterates Conor in two minutes.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

I recall one of Rory's ways of shutting down Saffiedine's leg kicks was to throw a bunch of his own.
and push kicks. and body kicks. and threaten with takedowns. given the insight mcgregor has shown into the striking game, i'm going to suspect that he will at least have some kind of strategy

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

i mean conor throws very few jabs generally, but he does really good with getting in close and pressuring his opponent into engaging him in boxing range, and that's where he excels

His opponents have also been really bad and willing to exchange punches even when they shouldn't.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

His opponents have also been really bad and willing to exchange punches even when they shouldn't.

I think it's unfair to call his opponents bad except maybe Marcus Brimage and Diego Brandao(and even then...), but their skillsets just simply didn't allow for anything else. I guess Poirier could have theoretically taken him down and submitted him like he did when he was getting lit up by Max Holloway.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
oh yeah big time. his most impressive win so far was saying "poirier covers up and doesn't move" and poirier was like "i'll show you who covers up and doesn't move" and then poirier covered up and didn't move and got knocked out.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ditch posted:

The next PPV is going to bomb massively no matter what they do (and it's several weeks away yet). After that there isn't a PPV until late May. No real opportunity loss here.

Losing Dillashaw's fight is a big deal and will hurt the buys. But it is criminal that the UFC doesn't do more to promote a cool fighter like Mighty Mouse. Mendes vs Lamas and Machida vs Rockhold are also two very cool headliners on cable that would be great for getting casual fans to stick around for more UFC if they bothered to promote them.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I was listening to Chael's latest podcast and former WWE writer John Piermarini had this bit of ridiculous logic:

If a guy gets hurt and pulls out of a fight, for example, TJ Dillashaw and his hurt ribs, that guy should have a DQ loss and in TJ's case, Barao should get the belt. :psyduck:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Brandao isn't very good but he's legitimately dangerous until he inevitably gasses, and Holloway is much better then people give him credit for

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Trast posted:

Losing Dillashaw's fight is a big deal and will hurt the buys. But it is criminal that the UFC doesn't do more to promote a cool fighter like Mighty Mouse. Mendes vs Lamas and Machida vs Rockhold are also two very cool headliners on cable that would be great for getting casual fans to stick around for more UFC if they bothered to promote them.

The free shows exist to promote themselves. You use free TV to build up people and hype fights (and make a little Fox money.) There is no real financial incentive to promote a TV show that will max out at around a million dollar gate, you are just wasting money. There will be a Countdown for the Fox show on Fox like there always is, press conferences, conference calls, etc. You do a worldwide press conference tour for something you expect to be giant and that is anchoring a full weekend of fight cards you need to sell. They need people flying in from all over the world to justify the ticket prices they are going to charge for this show. I'm guessing tickets will be scaled for a 7 million dollar gate. There's money to be made there. Mendes vs Lamas is on free TV in the afternoon, there's no money there. It's time filler FS1 wanted. Machida vs Rockhold is on network TV, that kind of viewership is the promotion. That's why they have the deal for exposure.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I have no idea what I'd do to promote Mighty Mouse right now. He needs to travel back in time and do a TUF season back when people cared about TUF seasons.

Edit: And it'd have to be against GSP.

Edit2: And you should get prizes for watching.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Brandao isn't very good but he's legitimately dangerous until he inevitably gasses, and Holloway is much better than people give him credit for
ftfy

Brandao is only legitimately dangerous against other bad fighters. Holloway has improved a lot but at that time it was a stretch calling him a good fighter. He did get thoroughly outwrestled by a one-legged Irishman after all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I have no idea what I'd do to promote Mighty Mouse right now. He needs to travel back in time and do a TUF season back when people cared about TUF seasons.

Edit: And it'd have to be against GSP.

Edit2: And you should get prizes for watching.

He should ask his mom to buy him a leather jacket and shades, then he can get some bad boy rep

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MassRafTer posted:

The free shows exist to promote themselves. You use free TV to build up people and hype fights (and make a little Fox money.) There is no real financial incentive to promote a TV show that will max out at around a million dollar gate, you are just wasting money. There will be a Countdown for the Fox show on Fox like there always is, press conferences, conference calls, etc. You do a worldwide press conference tour for something you expect to be giant and that is anchoring a full weekend of fight cards you need to sell. They need people flying in from all over the world to justify the ticket prices they are going to charge for this show. I'm guessing tickets will be scaled for a 7 million dollar gate. There's money to be made there. Mendes vs Lamas is on free TV in the afternoon, there's no money there. It's time filler FS1 wanted. Machida vs Rockhold is on network TV, that kind of viewership is the promotion. That's why they have the deal for exposure.

That is a fair enough point. Still there is that complaint that the UFC doesn't have enough stars. Plus with cable, netflix, and other distractions there is a lot of competition for eyeballs out there. Putting more effort into promoting other fighters might eventually lead to bigger PPV numbers down the road. There are a lot of entertaining fighters who weren't born self promotion machines like Chael or Conor.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Doesn't DJ pull pretty good numbers on TV? Am I making that up?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Brandao isn't very good but he's legitimately dangerous until he inevitably gasses, and Holloway is much better then people give him credit for

holloway showed a lot of patience and restraint against mcgregor, and did a good job of not rushing in and trying to swarm into a clinch. mcgregor's first takedown came off a caught kick, iirc

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Trast posted:

That is a fair enough point. Still there is that complaint that the UFC doesn't have enough stars. Plus with cable, netflix, and other distractions there is a lot of competition for eyeballs out there. Putting more effort into promoting other fighters might eventually lead to bigger PPV numbers down the road. There are a lot of entertaining fighters who weren't born self promotion machines like Chael or Conor.

They just did three straight big PPVs. When they get fights they can promote they promote the hell out of them. When they get new stars they promote the hell out of them. Daniel Cormier became a true star in the last year. Look what they are doing with Conor, that's the definition of making a new star. They will promote the hell out of Rumble leading up to the Jones card and were trying their hardest with Pettis. They have been trying with Rory for awhile. They put Mighty Mouse on several Fox shows to try to do just that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

EmmyOk posted:

He should ask his mom to buy him a leather jacket and shades, then he can get some bad boy rep

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
anyways, there's been a lot of focus on aldo's leg kicks, but i really think his hands are a much better and more important weapon for him

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

ftfy

Brandao is only legitimately dangerous against other bad fighters. Holloway has improved a lot but at that time it was a stretch calling him a good fighter. He did get thoroughly outwrestled by a one-legged Irishman after all.

I think that speaks to McGregor's toughness moreso than Holloway.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

ftfy

Conor is not good because he's only beaten bad fighters.
Max Holloway is good.
No, wait, he can't be, he lost to Conor McGregor.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

outy posted:

Conor is not good because he's only beaten bad fighters.
Max Holloway is good.
No, wait, he can't be, he lost to Conor McGregor.

Saying McGregor has had favorable style matchups is not the same as saying he is a bad fighter.
Saying Max Holloway is better now than when he fought McGregor is not the same as saying he is bad because he lost to McGregor.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Max Holloway is underrated. Doesn't have to mean he's "good", but I would say all signs are positive on that front right now. Especially if he sustains his current run. He's accomplished just as much as Conor has since Conor beat him in my opinion and if Conor was just another guy that would be a decent rematch right now.

Edit: In fact I think a Max/Conor title eliminator would've been perfect right about now. There I said it. :colbert:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

anyways, there's been a lot of focus on aldo's leg kicks, but i really think his hands are a much better and more important weapon for him

I think it's hard to compartmentalize like that because when Aldo throws in combination it's almost always combinations of both punches and kicks. In particular his leg kick -> left hook to the body and vice versa is really swank.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

He was throwing really good pure hand combos against Mendes iirc.

It used to be he didn't really have a jab but now he has a terrific one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah, there's not a lot that Aldo isn't good at at this point. I guess we can't make broad statements about his game off of his back, but we haven't really needed to because nobody can stop him from popping right back up from takedowns.

I used to cheer against Aldo because Wisconsinites are pathologically compelled to root for underdogs, but at this point I just look forward to his fights because you know you're going to see insanely cool fighting from one of the participants.

What fights have we seen Aldo do a lot of clinch fighting in, I can remember how he is there.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What fights have we seen Aldo do a lot of clinch fighting in, I can remember how he is there.

It's been a while since I've sat down and watched Aldo fights (I should do that, they're usually good) but my recollection is that he hasn't ever really been interested in fighting from the clinch as opposed to disengaging, and nobody's really been able to force him to do so.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

He wrestled TKZ against the fence for a while after he broke his foot

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He spent a lot of time in the clinch with Florian too.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Zzulu posted:

its kind of ridiculous how small of a HW Cain is. That's middleweight luke Rockhold he's sparring with :psyduck:

HW has always been ruled by fat middle and LHWs. Fedor, Cain, Couture, Bas Rutten, Randleman, Crocop

Have there been any great truly HW champs? Brock and Carwin I guess? They didn't last long enough to see if they were all time greats.
Tim Sylvia was a true HW but not a great one.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 2, 2015

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

HW has always been ruled by fat middle and LHWs. Fedor, Cain, Couture, Bas Rutten, Randleman, Crocop

Have there been any great truly HW champs? Brock and Carwin I guess? They didn't last long enough to see if they were all time greats.
Tim Sylvia was a true HW but not a great one.

Brock is still tied for the most defenses of the heavyweight belt to date, so there's that. :rip: Cain Velasquez :rip:

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 2, 2015

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
JDS sorta. I mean he got crushed by Cain in 2 & 3 but prior to that yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JDS could probably make 205 without much trouble either. He's not particularly big at all.

• Locked thread