Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

syzpid posted:

Maybe the new guys? Old article from the Torch (first one I found when googling it) sounds like most of them knew what was up.

http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/Torch_Today_2/article_75627.shtml#.VS8cP5Pe_fI

I remember there were a few rumors about the March PPV, but everyone was just saying that Heyman was keeping that date as a way to get back at the PPV company and cancelling it at the last minute.

Notice the article says that "some" believed it was their last show. Dreamer was determined to keep the company alive and several workers were bugging Dave about the company's status as late as March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rip:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hulk is so stunned that I thought it was one of those half frozen gifs.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That shocked woman going "WHAT?" is now my second favorite fan after "kid who was super, super excited that Ricardo beat the rat guy on NXT".

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So how long is it before we're reduced to Matthews calling Dixie Carter play wrestling with action figures

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

So how long is it before we're reduced to Matthews calling Dixie Carter play wrestling with action figures

Minus however many days Matthews has been there. Action figures are very different if you are a billionaire

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Chris James 2 posted:

Dixie's not going to film a movie ever, the roster's known they're hosed for at least all of 2015 or at most since 2012/13 depending on how long you've been on the roster, and even Rajah makes fun of them for being on borrowed time. Stuff was funny years ago, now it's just kinda sad and maybe still funny I guess.

It is uncanny how much TNA's demise resembles one of their many botched storylines. I'm thinking of Aces & 8s specifically, started strong and interesting, dragged on for too long, got back around to being entertaining in a :psyduck: way and ended looooooong after people stopped giving a gently caress.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Aces & 8s was so loving lame god drat

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Aces and Eights will forever own because I think about 75% the GDT they debuted was convinced they were the ninjas who kidnapped Samoa Joe returning, with the ultimate goal of closing all the storylines Russo suddenly dropped with no explanation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Aces & 8s was so loving lame god drat

It worked out well in the end because the show it was ripping off also went to and became complete poo poo

(don't watch sons of anarchy)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Did Hogan ever join Aces & 8s?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

No way brother he took the fight to them.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
But they did get D'Lo Brown!!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Great White Hope posted:

That shocked woman going "WHAT?" is now my second favorite fan after "kid who was super, super excited that Ricardo beat the rat guy on NXT".

I don't understand how anybody in the crowd is surprised about this at all. Nothing about Aces & 8s was a surprise. Everything was so obvious the entire time.

Also, I remember being real bummed out when ECW died but I also remember feeling so weird about the TNN show. Raven coming back and winning the Tag Titles with Dreamer and stuff like that - it felt so strange. It was like that entire run was ECW in some crazy person's dream, not the ECW I grew up on.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phenix Rising posted:

Also, I remember being real bummed out when ECW died but I also remember feeling so weird about the TNN show. Raven coming back and winning the Tag Titles with Dreamer and stuff like that - it felt so strange. It was like that entire run was ECW in some crazy person's dream, not the ECW I grew up on.

They had to keep the content different than Hardcore TV, but obviously with whatever crap budget/staff they had at the time, producing 2 hours of quality television every week was next to impossible. The first few months of the TNN show were good, but then it turned into "um, we ran a house show this week, here's a poorly filmed match from it".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Phenix Rising posted:

It was like that entire run was ECW in some crazy person's dream, not the ECW I grew up on.

If that was a crazy person's dream what was the early days of ECW on Syfy with the Zombie and the other random characters? Now that was really bizarre. I hope that stuff ends up on the Network at some point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Aces & 8s did so many things wrong, it's like they wrote "invasion angle" on a whiteboard, wrote down a few names, and that was it. A lot of angles go wrong because they're overcomplicated, this was somehow undercomplicated.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

There was that thing where Hogan and Sting assaulted the Aces and Eights clubhouse and right before A&8 overtook them Sting excalimed "it's...it's YOU" and then A&8 spent the whole next week with them taped to chairs torturing them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Maxwell Lord posted:

Aces & 8s did so many things wrong, it's like they wrote "invasion angle" on a whiteboard, wrote down a few names, and that was it. A lot of angles go wrong because they're overcomplicated, this was somehow undercomplicated.

it seemed like Russo's depression phase hit real hard and he gave up. Then again, if I had to sit in close proximity to Eric Bischoff, I'd be miserable too.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

Brian Fritz of The Sporting News reported today that TNA's pay issues of late have also included members of the TNA Production team. The claims fall in line with what PWInsider.com has heard over the last several days from one source, although we had not been able to confirm with additional sources.

Fritz reports that production staff are still owed pay from the One Night Only PPV tapings in February. One source, who spoke with Fritz under condition of anonymity, claimed they were told checks were cut on 4/3, but "no one has received them yet."

Fritz' story also notes that production workers (the majority of whom are considered third party contractors by TNA, not full-time employees) did not receive checks for their work on the January UK tour until early April. That aspect of the story also fits with what PWInsider heard earlier this week.

Fritz's story also states that there were a number of excuses given as to why checks were late given to production staff including the weather and that the checks were "in the mail."

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2015-04-17/tna-wrestling-pay-issues-production-staff-taz-dixie-carter-panda-energy

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
yeah i echo what somebody on the board said. If most aren't getting paid then just shut it down.

Most people wouldn't be losing out.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Who is going to be the hero at Discovery Channel and finally stake this bastard company in the heart? We need a hero like Jamie Kellner.

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
don't they often rebrand that particular network ?

if so, that'll be the excuse for getting rid of impact.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

As long as TNA survives no man living today will perish, we are simply cursed to repeat the same year for all eternity.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Without being funny or ironic, someone tell me what TNA is the alternative to these days. They used to have a legit boast about being the WWE alternative by having blood-feuds, great wrestling, indy darlings, and giving guys a chance that the WWE refused. Now they have Low-Ki who is the indy darling nobody wanted, and they're probably going to cause Kurt Angle to die in the ring.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Without being funny or ironic, someone tell me what TNA is the alternative to these days. They used to have a legit boast about being the WWE alternative by having blood-feuds, great wrestling, indy darlings, and giving guys a chance that the WWE refused. Now they have Low-Ki who is the indy darling nobody wanted, and they're probably going to cause Kurt Angle to die in the ring.

If you don't like deathmatches, you should watch it instead of CZW.

If you don't like juggalos, you should watch it instead of ICP's promotion.

If you don't like homophobic world champs, you should watch it instead of ROH and the last match of the last New Japan PPV (but can watch the aftermath).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Nothing, honestly. They're an indie with a TV deal. They used to have it on a channel people at least knew of, now it's buried on a channel almost nobody has, and those that do don't even know about it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tato posted:

Who is going to be the hero at Discovery Channel and finally stake this bastard company in the heart? We need a hero like Jamie Kellner.

Time for Jamie and Adam to bust the myth that TNA is an actual legitimate company.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I like to think Dixie believes she is a business mastermind for coming up with "the cheque is in the mail"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're a regular employee of a company and they still send you paper checks, that's a warning sign right there.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

coconono posted:

if you're a regular employee of a company and they still send you paper checks, that's a warning sign right there.

The direct deposit is being held up by the bank. How do you feel about bitcoin? - Dixie

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is Destination America the TNA of cable networks? The way that Observer piece talked about DA made it seem that way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

keevo posted:

Is Destination America the TNA of cable networks? The way that Observer piece talked about DA made it seem that way.

It's a Discovery channel C-channel that's on the super extended cable package that has all the channels you'll never watch.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It's a little watched network that seems to be the repository of the reality shows too lovely to even get on Discovery Channel. They gave TNA a lot of slots for programming, but from what Meltzer says, they had very little knowledge of the wrestling business and really assumed that TNA would bring all of its Spike audience with them. With that obviously not being the case, they no longer give a poo poo and have cut their programming down to the bone. I doubt they care at all about TNA at this point, and the channel is only a revamp away from getting rid of it.

If only TNA were on a channel that tolerated their stagnant but consistent rating for years and promoted them on television even though re-runs of COPS garnered more viewers. A channel that literally only required one thing of them - no longer employing a misogynist, horrendous wrestling booker who turns everything to poo poo whenever he gets a hold of it and who did nothing but harm their company and their popularity. If only that channel existed they'd be golden, as even TNA would never be stupid and arrogant enough to secretly try to employ a guy like that and gently caress over a channel that had given them so much.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tato posted:

It's a little watched network that seems to be the repository of the reality shows too lovely to even get on Discovery Channel. They gave TNA a lot of slots for programming, but from what Meltzer says, they had very little knowledge of the wrestling business and really assumed that TNA would bring all of its Spike audience with them. With that obviously not being the case, they no longer give a poo poo and have cut their programming down to the bone. I doubt they care at all about TNA at this point, and the channel is only a revamp away from getting rid of it.

If they expected all of their Spike audience to go from a basic cable channel owned by loving Viacom to their C-tier mega-expanded digital cable package only Discovery network, they probably have very little knowledge of the television business either.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

flashy_mcflash posted:

If that was a crazy person's dream what was the early days of ECW on Syfy with the Zombie and the other random characters? Now that was really bizarre. I hope that stuff ends up on the Network at some point.
The way Sandman tells it, they wanted to beat up the ECW alien, but Syfy said no.
They thought of another stock science-fiction character, the zombie, and had Sandman beat the poo poo out of him, but people don't associate science-fiction with zombies, so it was just really confusing.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Tato posted:

If only TNA were on a channel that tolerated their stagnant but consistent rating for years and promoted them on television even though re-runs of COPS garnered more viewers. A channel that literally only required one thing of them - no longer employing a misogynist, horrendous wrestling booker who turns everything to poo poo whenever he gets a hold of it and who did nothing but harm their company and their popularity. If only that channel existed they'd be golden, as even TNA would never be stupid and arrogant enough to secretly try to employ a guy like that and gently caress over a channel that had given them so much.

they never promoted them though

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Josh went solo

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jesus Christ. Maybe they can add some more lovely graphics to make the actual visual area of the wrestling even smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

rovert posted:

Josh went solo

Cool Youtube review Josh.

• Locked thread