Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Also, general building tip for newer players. Once you have a crest placed, you can see your area of influence while holding a block (the area in which people can't just pick your building blocks within and cannot place their own). While it is tempting to use as much of this area as possible, be aware that if the walls of your base touch the edges of your influence, you have created a security issues for yourself. Players will be able to place blocks against your wall and scale it from their side, this is why it is always wise to build your structure a few blocks inward, so that even if an enemy builds a tower on the outside of your influence in an attempt to jump over your walls, you can keep your walls far back enough that they will never be able to make the horizontal distance to clear the gap.

Likewise, when sieging a base that is built like a fortress, try to find a wall that is too close to their influence's edge or is right up against it as an easy way to get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeatSetRadio
Dec 5, 2004

Hey Sandy! Do you want to listen to some indie music with me? Perhaps we can read Pitchfork together?
Things are starting to go pretty well at Zero Flax Given. Goons are currently in control of the land and we're all gathering resources. I can't wait for someone to challenge us for the throne.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
For god's sake, put high tier blocks around your crest or build next to a cliff. I took over too many bases with poorly placed crests. Also best place is put crest bottom of the sea and build a sky base there. Further out it won't render on people's machines till they are swimming out to it. Steel crests are your friend. Hacker note, the current annoying hack is turning everyone super fat and hulk green.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I moved on from Zero Flax since I have to start from scratch every time I log in. Go away for a couple hours and get trebbed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game is super weird.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
On No Flax Given, the sword island thing is looking like a proper Detroit. Surprisingly effective goonie defenses, with trebuchets to destroy other sword man castles.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

shlitz posted:

I admin zero flax given and just wanted to say we were experiencing the item vanish a lot. It was all around that DDOS time. The servers would go wonky when trying to restart and not hitting the lobby server. This doesn't seem to be an issue at all anymore.
Cheaters are not tolerated and I will do my best to rid the world of them
My hero :swoon:

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

How dare you speak to me of the crunch! You know nothing of the crunch. You've never even been to the crunch!
Would the best option for saving our little shacks to hold our poo poo is to place them way outside the main area of the map? I've been scouting locations for a DOOM HOUSE on the outskirts of the maps but I am not sure if it would be worth it.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Cynical Tyrant posted:

Would the best option for saving our little shacks to hold our poo poo is to place them way outside the main area of the map? I've been scouting locations for a DOOM HOUSE on the outskirts of the maps but I am not sure if it would be worth it.

I usually build around the north-eastern corner of the map, looking out on the peninsula. Not as much foot traffic as some parts, their's Iron and stone nearby, and it's pretty close to the flax field.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
NE is best because of access to water, stone, and clay, which are by far the most important materials in the game for mass Tier 9 block crafting, which keeps out most everything. I have designs done for a goonfort, I just need to build it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

So are goons gathered together? I don't want to go in and get started again just to have someone, probably goons, destroy all my poo poo again.

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

How dare you speak to me of the crunch! You know nothing of the crunch. You've never even been to the crunch!

Eltoasto posted:

So are goons gathered together? I don't want to go in and get started again just to have someone, probably goons, destroy all my poo poo again.

Yes we are.

Also we have a room on Camping the Stairs now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Probably the most fun I've had this game is seeing a king putting taxes as high as they go, seeing a bunch of ~roleplayers~ flip their poo poo and call for rebellion against THE FALSE KING... and promptly walking up to his doorstep, declaring my undying loyalty, and shouting for the deaths of the infidels who betray their king. The king finds it hilarious and gives me all kinds of free poo poo to smite the peasants hopping up the pathway in wooden armor and javelins.

Taking a despot's side just to antagonize the rest of the server can be good fun.

Also I'll take an invite. Steam name is Drakenel. (Duh)

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 7, 2015

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Helpful map to get home:

Key-
Teal Circle: Weird abandoned wood shack with wooden cage next to it.

Yellow Circles: Campfires which may or may not be lit. supposed to serve as markers for when to stop following the road.

Red Grenade: Kill your parents.

e- That location marked may be a tad too south, basically you walk along the rock line overlooking the coast and run into our cobblestone labyrinth after a few seconds.

Lokee fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 7, 2015

Senrab
May 10, 2012
On my first server I hung a guy on his own gallows for firing a trebuchet at my base.

Spoiler Alert:
It was Lizard Wizard

10/10

Invite This Nerd

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

invite this nerd as well

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Eltoast0

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

I thought this was going to be a good place to hide poo poo if I get killed, but I guess it's in the out of bounds zone but since I love getting stuck inside the rocks I don't think this is very viable.

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

I also joined a random RP server just for laughs and found this.

Pretty nice looking.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Y'all are free to add Kimsemus on Steam as well.

Our new castle may actually be defensible, we've had top goon scientists improving the design.

Goon base 2.0 features such improvements as:

-Walls
-Ceilings
-Functioning doorways
-Space
-Not built out of piles of sticks

And a big enough flat roof to put 6 trebuchets on because gently caress your castle, that's why.

Also I logged in this morning and found four random men sleeping in my room, that's cool too because I get lonely.

It should also be noted that almost all of my bunker at the base of the giant king's head still exists, with a couple of reinforced blocks and a crest hilarity could ensue. I built a back way in that's still there, and all my shooting platforms are left because the gate/wall/bunker I built is all Tier 9 material and too hard to break...

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 7, 2015

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Don't wanna be king, just wanna be a peasant

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lewtt

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Someone was able to grief the base, not sure how, crest was cubed into the center of the base and would have taken enormous resources to get to it, and then they dismantled almost every piece of stone, despite there being no claim crest when I logged in.

Then the server kept crashing, and other weird stuff. Might need to roll it back, I think some fuckery is afoot.

Having said that, I have a better location for Goonbase 3.0 and I know how to best build it now.

TRIAL AND ERROR BROTHERS.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 8, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Could it have been a treb? the lack of all stone is kind of odd though

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

FYI Zero Flax is back up, but it most have changed hosting or something because I had to re-search for it.

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

Also server wipe

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Senrab posted:

On my first server I hung a guy on his own gallows for firing a trebuchet at my base.

Spoiler Alert:
It was Lizard Wizard

10/10

Wait, those were the king's gallows and it was Enzer's base, I thought.

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

Hope nobody here was missing 1k iron :v:

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

HEY YOU WHATCHA GONNA DO?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5PmlqOsM9A

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, those were the king's gallows and it was Enzer's base, I thought.

I was living with Senrab and Wilson the whole time. :ssh:

You were firing at either an admin house or some other dudes base.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

PARTY

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Fantastic. It's good to laugh again after Bloodborne.

Trudis fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 8, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Hello Friends. I will give this game a what ho. I made a shack that totally rocks. Here is a pic.

Edit: Whoops looks like I used the wrong picture. Let me go find the correct one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

Hello Friends. I will give this game a what ho. I made a shack that totally rocks. Here is a pic.

Edit: Whoops looks like I used the wrong picture. Let me go find the correct one.

That works. :allears:

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

Now to find some pubbies to rope.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

Where is Goondor 3.0?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lokee posted:

Where is Goondor 3.0?

I'm on starting to make it now. We should all play on CTS when we're on.

Also whomever is running the server can you change the name or add the server details to make it more attractive to kill pubbies? (Like Zero Flax Given - New World/PvP/timezone for hosting etc etc)

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

We already have two bases up, but making more camps wouldn't hurt.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Cynical Tyrant posted:

We already have two bases up, but making more camps wouldn't hurt.

where?

Cynical Tyrant
Jan 30, 2006

East and West of Flax Fields we are the infamous group GOTTA GO FAST

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
We're redoing the claiming of the sword/shoulders, because #yolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Does my lovely initial platform base from last night still stand? That was just to get everyone going and assumed we would move to a non-flax field location when everyone got on their feet.

• Locked thread