Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What is Reign of Kings?
Reign of Kings is a medieval multiplayer survival sandbox game in early access on Steam in the vein of Rust (which I've never played).

What is there to do?
Well, it's a sandbox! The gameplay's more emergent than anything. The goal, if you can call it that, is to become king by claiming the Throne, which sits in a gigantic statue at the top of the island the game takes place on. As king you get a sweet crown, can name the land to your liking, and set taxes, collecting a percentage of the resources everyone else harvests. It makes for a quite literal king of the hill dynamic. Other than that...socialize, antagonize, build. It's a survival sandbox game. :v:

I made my guy and now I'm being severely murdered by everyone.
You probably went to an official server. Those tend to be riddled with hackers and, well, pubbie scum. Try to find a community server with some nice people.

I don't like Early Access.
The developer did release StarForge a while back, and people weren't too happy with the final version of that, so I can understand the desire to hold off on RoK. But they acknowledged they bit off more than they can chew with that Starforge and RoK is a blast. I don't feel like I wasted MY twenty bucks, so make of that what you will.

Sound good? Go buy it and be a medieval man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GETTING STARTED

When you spawn, you'll notice that you just have a club, a couple torches, and some bandages to your name. Fix that.

Press I to open your inventory, and on the right side of the screen there'll be a bunch of recipes. Note that the stone pickaxe and stone hatchet need flax, wood and stone. Go find some of that stuff and get a shitload of it.

Stone looks like this. Hit it with your club to get stone - imagine that! You get wood in much the same way, but with trees. However, you're not going to get a lot of it with just your club. Using a pickaxe or axe to wahack stone and trees respectively gives far more resources per hit. You might also find small stones lying around on steep, rocky inclines, so look out for those.

This is flax. It tends to spawn inland on the plains, but it's basically loving everywhere.

You may or may not have made your tools by now, and you're getting hungry. Probably thirsty, too. So go find things to eat and drink!

Berries are nice as they restore both hunger and thirst, but not a spectacular amount - they're just berries, after all. If you can't find any berries, you'll want to find a clean body of water to gather from. There's a swamp that's nice for this as well as a couple of ponds in the mountains.

For something a bit more filling, make yourself some wooden javelins and go hog wild on the wildlife, then beat their corpses to harvest from them. In addition to meat (which you can cook at a bonfire), you'll probably get some leather and bone as well. Good for armor, weapons, and crests. So what are crests? Well, let's fast forward a bit and assume that you've scraped and clawed and gathered enough resources to build yourself a hovel out of cute little blocks. Put a crest on a block and it'll begin to 'conquer' the area around it, which takes about five minutes. Once you conquer an area, only you or members of your guild can place or remove construction material blocks. Each player can only have one crest in the world at a time.

Oh, and one important thing to note: the game's somewhat PvP-oriented. Construction materials, furniture, structures, crafting stations, crests - they all have health. Expect people to try and bust into your house, and don't be afraid to do the same! There's a number of other neat things to do like tie people to a rope and drag them around, put them in the stocks, and hang them at the gallows. I haven't covered everything about the game, but hopefully I've piqued at least one goon's curiosity.

Come join us in the medieval wild west!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 1, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Crossposted from the Steam thread, the tale of my first night:

Lizard Wizard posted:

So I picked up Reign of Kings on a whim. I've never played Rust (supposedly it's a lot like that?), but I can say the game kind of owns. My first couple of hours went as follows:

Having heard some horror stories about public servers, I decided to track down a goon one. Made my character, then wandered around gathering materials for a bit. Had to flee because I ran into a bear, but then I made javelins and murdered it. Slowly but surely I amassed my basic tools, and set up camp in a quiet little field. I amused myself with a horn I had made of bone. Such a deep, satisfying sound it made. Paaaaaaaaaarp.

Then I heard a parp in response, and another, and all of us, us three primitive medieval settlers in the night, exchanged deep, bellowing parps through the night. Before long, the king of the island had managed to figure out where I was based on the sound of my horn - though the fact that we had been chatting probably helped as well. I saw a figure approach my camp, I saw the crown on his head, and I put two and two together - he's the king! I can kill him, I can be the king! I threw my javelin, not seeing in the darkness that he was in full steel plate armor. He slashed at me with his mighty sword, and I naturally ran. I pleaded, tried to weasel my way out of it, and then came his cohort, tying me by the feet with a rope. I was dragged flopping helplessly over what must've been a mile of terrain as the king told me my punishment. I was to be held in a cage across from a settlement of ravenous, plagued villagers, and ultimately be eaten alive.

Fortunately, in part due to physics, they had some trouble getting me into the cage, so they had no choice but to let me stand while they figured things out. It took me a minute to realize this - the king's lackey left, and then came back to check on me...I hefted my javelin at him and ran off, parping in mockery! He wasn't far behind, so I decided to try and slay him with my remaining stock of spears. Unfortunately, he was in armor and still had a rope, and so they dragged me somewhere else. The king locked me in stocks in the middle of the road, and then...he pulled out his own horn. It was, quite frankly, impressive, and he held it up to me.

PWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

The king was more than content to trumpet directly into my face a few times, and then I was free to go. Buy this game.

On a side note, if you've picked up the game and are looking for some goons to play with, there's a few of us on Zero Flax Given. There's a goon-run server in PGS, but I do not recommend it. The admin's a bit of a jerk.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Edgar posted:

I usually play on the official servers with a large group around 9 guys. The moment you have full steel crew, you hunt players and lock them up in your dungeon. If they don't have a stone in their rear end to kill themselves they are stuck there even when logging off. It gets fun forcing them to dance and you can even whip them. It's more arcade fun than life is feudal and has more focus on combat and siege as well. I am excited for new content and hopefully a larger map, more players per server, stable code, and anti hacking measures. Also bring back fire bombs! Also the top insult being thrown around is being called autistic.

That's one way to play. :shobon:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hobo Siege posted:

Oh, this poo poo again.

I guess these games are what you make of them, but... That's kind of the problem with them, no? Wonder how long it'll be before this one goes defunct.

Agreed. What I've been dicking around with so far has breadth, but...not a lot of depth, to be honest. The game needs more content, and I really hope the devs realize this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Steam Train did like an hour-long episode on Reign of Kings, so if you don't mind Steam Train/Game Grumps, you might wanna give it a look!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Senrab posted:

On my first server I hung a guy on his own gallows for firing a trebuchet at my base.

Spoiler Alert:
It was Lizard Wizard

10/10

Wait, those were the king's gallows and it was Enzer's base, I thought.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

Hello Friends. I will give this game a what ho. I made a shack that totally rocks. Here is a pic.

Edit: Whoops looks like I used the wrong picture. Let me go find the correct one.

That works. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Drakenel posted:

Gauntlet!

Not literally, but they're dragged one at a time to the front gate, then released. If they can reach the end of the bridge while dodging all the javelins and stones we throw at them the whole way down, they're free. If they die? Well, their stuff is ours.

How about a maze with a bunch of dudes wielding javelins (and nothing else) with food, water and bandages littered around?

• Locked thread