Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well for one, the bases are never going to go away and thinking they ever will is insanity. The only real hope the people of the Island have in regards to not getting hosed by the U.S. military is the marines getting not-retarded leadership and or a change in the way we conduct discipline over seas.

Bolow posted:

Absolutely it does. The actions of that government prevent Japan from expanding its military. Or do you honestly think Korea, Vietnam, China or the Philippines are going to be totally ok with Japan ramping up its military presence in the region? There's an even lesser chance of China and Japan agreeing to something diplomatically.

Japan has already begun expanding it's military in the face of China's recent aggression, honestly the Japanese do not give a flying gently caress what any of the previously mentioned countries think and they probably never will. The Philippines and S Korea will tolerate it as long as the U.S. tells them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bolow posted:

Is there anything specific discipline wise you have in mind? In my admittedly limited experience as a LCpl in Japan (Mainland not Okinawa), the SOFA agreement the US has with Japan is rather generous. If you hosed up enough out in town that the Japanese police had to get involved the base would basically go "He's all yours" and let the Japanese judicial system handle you. The biggest issue I saw is the whole college/military town thing. Except in a military town instead of having a bunch of nearly broke 18-20'somethings you have a bunch of 18-20'somethings that have next to no financial obligations and a source of steady decent income. Short of locking everyone down on base which poses severe morale problems there's nothing the leadership can do to enforce stricter discipline. The punishment for loving up out in town is as severe as the UCMJ allows, and nearly every single enlisted person that hosed up was made an example of. I've even had a friend who did everything by the book the instant he lost track of his liberty buddy and he still got loving hammered by our command because "THOU SHALT NOT BE IN TOWN BY THY SELF" *unless you're an E-4 or higher

Now obviously none of this matters for Officers but that's an endemic problem in the military as whole and not unique to Japan

Iv had a few friends go to Okinawa and 1 family member, and from what they told me the biggest issue regarding discipline overseas is that while there is a large amount of effort put into making sure people who gently caress up get punished, there isn't as much emphasis placed on informing people on how not to gently caress up, or making sure people who might gently caress up are not given the chance to gently caress up. The buddy system is insanely retarded because people are just as dumb in groups than they are alone, even more so often times because people get pressured into poo poo.

I'm not really informed enough to make a specific recommendation, but something needs to be done because we are never going to give up our bases in the far east. Europe is a different story because Russia couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag anymore and relies on it's rusting stock pile of nukes so basing isn't as important, but China is very much hungry for more influence which makes the far east much more tricky.

The aforementioned leadership issues also make the issue worse, because the marine corp seriously does not know what it wants to do with itself right now.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rent-A-Cop posted:

America in a nutshell folks.

Except I said it because I only have a general picture, not because I do not know literally anything about the subject other than "thing bad".

• Locked thread