Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doctor Butts posted:

Their duties are greater than 100% therefore we should not have to pay them for having greater than 100% of duties. Yea that makes sense.

Like why the gently caress bother complaining about the middle class might not be feeling the positive effects of the recovering economy when you're doing everything you can to stop them from making more money?

The infographics suck (as usual) but the >100% sum kind of makes sense. Ordering products or scheduling employees likely involves paperwork and they are making up their own definition of what managing employees means so they can categorize anything involving customer service as "leading by example" to show or constantly remind the employees how the work should be done. So a shift manager should work the register when there is a line because we understaff due to thinking of the manager as another clerk there is an indication that the hourly employees need a reminder of how to operate efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

MacheteZombie posted:

Is there a Rainbow Belt?

Something similar to the Rust Belt and Bible Belt.

Like a true rainbow, it starts in San Francisco and arches over middle America until it touches down in New York.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CommieGIR posted:

Again, Chic Fil A quietly said they were withdrawing support and funding for groups like the AFA and others. While I'm sure they are still donating under the table, their latest financial transparency reports show them only funding their own Foundations and no others.

They did it as quietly as possible so as not to spook the Conservative crowd that was throwing money at them.

We had 100+ years of "no colored allowed" signs being fine and dandy, I don't see posting a "no gays allowed" sign having any more of an impact.

And as to Chik-fil-a they still saw a robust and continuing bump of support for being anti-gay even if they did stop directly funding anti-gay groups.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Looks like a business is choosing to use the not-at-all-discriminatory Indiana RFRA to discriminate.

Sorry, the gays of Walkerton, Indiana, you will not be able to cater your weddings with pizza.

This is a false flag, obviously.

Oh and y'all have to hear the callers on this episode of On Point. The guy at like twenty-two minutes has to be fake, he's way too much of a caricature.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/03/31/indiana-lgbt-rights-religious-freedom-law-mike-pence

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Anyways the takeaway from all this is don't support Big Gay, support your small, local gays instead

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Yeah, and like a rainbow it starts in the west coast, arches over the entire country and lands somewhere in the northeast.

Mayor Dave posted:

Like a true rainbow, it starts in San Francisco and arches over middle America until it touches down in New York.

You will never recover from this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Spaceman Future! posted:

This is about the most NWS page of pizza reviews I have ever seen.

I dunno, perhaps yelp shouldn't let people review a business if they can't prove they actually went there...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

We had 100+ years of "no colored allowed" signs being fine and dandy, I don't see posting a "no gays allowed" sign having any more of an impact.

We're in a different sociological climate, the sort of climate that allowed Jim Crow is no longer politically acceptable, regardless of what the Tea Party and GOP say. While during the Jim Crow era you could pass racially and religiously biased legislation and expect it to stick, now the GOP passes it not hoping that it will stick, they KNOW it will not, they pass it to appear to be listening to their constituents, and can just shrug when it gets struck down.

Its not the same.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Anyways the takeaway from all this is don't support Big Gay, support your small, local gays instead

Big Gay are great campaign contributors to Democrats

Fried Chicken, why are you still in Indiana, when a decent state which don't discriminate against gays is right across the border?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cheesus posted:

Do bad Yelp reviews help with this process?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/memories-pizza-walkerton

*clears cache*

Please put a dicks warning on that link for those of us at work.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

This seems familiar

Fried Chicken posted:

And as to Chik-fil-a they still saw a robust and continuing bump of support for being anti-gay even if they did stop directly funding anti-gay groups.

Woolworths isn't doing too hot today and they got their fair share of spite shoppers back in the day. Fun Fact, if you buy shoes from Foot Locker you're supporting a legacy of racism. Neat.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

I dunno, perhaps yelp shouldn't let people review a business if they can't prove they actually went there...

Yelp activism is pretty stupid.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

The Queehrmacht rolls through GOPoland.

Mods change my name to Powerful Gay Blitzkrieg.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

All it's doing is feeding the right's persecution complex, like they needed any help with that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mods change my name to Powerful Gay Blitzkrieg.

"Mein Panzer ist Homosexuell"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sir Tonk posted:

Yelp is pretty good about handling this sort of thing. They let the rage run for a bit and once the flood stops clear out all the bogus reviews. Removing them while the story is still hot just makes it last longer as people post more to get ahead of the removals.

That said I imagine their rating will never recover as people who have visited and are pissed about the bigotry will update their confirmed valid reviews.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Spaceman Future! posted:

This is about the most NWS page of pizza reviews I have ever seen.

I found out a little too late. Jeez.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

All it's doing is feeding the right's persecution complex, like they needed any help with that.

They'll have a persecution complex no matter what.

So what you do is, you treat 'em like the boy who cried wolf.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dad, why did you bring me to a gay pizza parlor?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Can't quote as it's the new thread but on the rennie gibbs thing. I confess, I didn't read the link in its entirety.

I've been following this case for 6 years and I was googling as a citation, not with an eye to presenting someone unfamiliar with it a complete overview. I wanted a link with the umbilical around the neck thing near the top as that was a stunning and recent revelation. I've had far to many arguments on the Internet over this case that shred my soul. Assholes and pro-lifers are quite willing to imprison a child for life for being an addict who got pregnant. The expectation that a positive pregnancy test can heal someone of addiction is absurd but common. Decades of research trying and failing to find a link between "crack babies" and miscarriage bounce right off far to many people's heads. The umbilical thing finally shuts those people up ... For the wrong reasons but OMG FINALLY!

She miscarried in 2006 and was arrested and charged with "depraved heart murder" at 16.

In 2014 .... 8 years later ... Those charges were dropped ( speedy trial indeed ) and the state indicated they would pursue the case by seeking an indictment for manslaughter instead.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/03/murder_charges_dismissed_against_mississippi_woman_on_trial_for_giving_birth_to_a_stillborn/

Manslaughter. When it is known that the cause of death was most likely umbilical strangulation and science has clearly established that cocaine doesn't cause stillbirths..

Per the link above the national advocates for pregnant women has records of hundreds of cases like these. There is insufficient resources to give all of them extra help. Rennie is thus lucky as she became a rallying point and was able to pay for good legal defense as well as eventually make bail. Over 70 medical organizations came to her aid filing an amicus brief with the court stating that the drug link was bullshit and providing studies showing that what they were doing causes pregnant drug users to be afraid to seek the medical help they need - which causes a lot of harm. And still she's been fighting this for a third of her life with a host of restrictions placed on her - even when out on bail you can't do things like leave the state which other people can do.

And all of this with no evidence of wrongdoing. People caught with gun in hand standing over a dead body have faced less jail time and less of a legal battle than women like rennie and Bei Bei have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McAlister posted:

Can't quote as it's the new thread but on the rennie gibbs thing. I confess, I didn't read the link in its entirety.

I've been following this case for 6 years and I was googling as a citation, not with an eye to presenting someone unfamiliar with it a complete overview. I wanted a link with the umbilical around the neck thing near the top as that was a stunning and recent revelation. I've had far to many arguments on the Internet over this case that shred my soul. Assholes and pro-lifers are quite willing to imprison a child for life for being an addict who got pregnant. The expectation that a positive pregnancy test can heal someone of addiction is absurd but common. Decades of research trying and failing to find a link between "crack babies" and miscarriage bounce right off far to many people's heads. The umbilical thing finally shuts those people up ... For the wrong reasons but OMG FINALLY!

She miscarried in 2006 and was arrested and charged with "depraved heart murder" at 16.

In 2014 .... 8 years later ... Those charges were dropped ( speedy trial indeed ) and the state indicated they would pursue the case by seeking an indictment for manslaughter instead.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/03/murder_charges_dismissed_against_mississippi_woman_on_trial_for_giving_birth_to_a_stillborn/

Manslaughter. When it is known that the cause of death was most likely umbilical strangulation and science has clearly established that cocaine doesn't cause stillbirths..

Per the link above the national advocates for pregnant women has records of hundreds of cases like these. There is insufficient resources to give all of them extra help. Rennie is thus lucky as she became a rallying point and was able to pay for good legal defense as well as eventually make bail. Over 70 medical organizations came to her aid filing an amicus brief with the court stating that the drug link was bullshit and providing studies showing that what they were doing causes pregnant drug users to be afraid to seek the medical help they need - which causes a lot of harm. And still she's been fighting this for a third of her life with a host of restrictions placed on her - even when out on bail you can't do things like leave the state which other people can do.

And all of this with no evidence of wrongdoing. People caught with gun in hand standing over a dead body have faced less jail time and less of a legal battle than women like rennie and Bei Bei have.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Bigots having to fear for the impact to their wallet is funny. Not that Memories Pizza is going to be seeing a dropoff in the surely massive* tide of tourism money they were receiving in whatever hole they sell grease, 3/4 of the people spamming that yelp wont even remember the name of that place in a week. Hell, I cant remember the name of that bakery that was poo poo talking the administration and had the same thing happen and that got a ton of play. For all I know I could unknowingly buy a muffin there tomorrow, I dont even remember where the stupid thing was.

*ha

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Solution: Ban the owners of Memories Pizza from Notre Dame games. They'd cave right fast if football was on the line.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So the MAC won't be playing in Indianapolis

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12594299/mac-hold-championships-meetings-indiana

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

All I see is a Small Business Owner being unfairly bullied and discriminated against for her religious beliefs

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the Governor of Arkansas just announced that he won't sign his state's RFRA bill as-is, and wants it amended to be closer to the federal version of the law:

quote:

“How do we as a state communicate to the world that we are respectful of a diverse workplace?” he asked. “We want to be known as a state that does not discriminate.”

He continued, “It has divided families and there is clearly a generational gap on this issue. My son Seth asked me, the governor, to veto this bill.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This has really got to piss off the city as they specifically passed anti-gay discrimination laws.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If this becomes a trend, that'd actually be pretty huge. Its one thing for NASCAR/NCAA to issue statements about being inclusive and non discriminatory, but once the sporting events move out of state the pressure starts to be applied

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

This is why even Jan Brewer was smart enough to kill this crap in its infancy. Even if they back down now there is going to be billions of damages long term, bigots may be happy to shove chicken sandwiches in their faces but they don't have the monetary capital to enact the kind of destruction that you see when corporate sponsors are worried about having to put their PR people out there. Easier to relocate conferences, games, whatever rather than risk your bottom dollar.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DaveWoo posted:

So the Governor of Arkansas just announced that he won't sign his state's RFRA bill as-is, and wants it amended to be closer to the federal version of the law:

The free market working as intended :patriot:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I can't feel a shred of sympathy for Pence. He was warned about all of this beforehand by these institutions and the business community and legal experts and he purposefully chose to go ahead with it all in spite of that to appease the religious fringe. gently caress him and I hope all these organizations decide to not return to Indiana as long as he's governor.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

DaveWoo posted:

I just don't understand this. If the bill is just a reproduction of the federal law, why pass it anyway? Don't local laws just inherit the laws above them if there's nothing set?

If you want it in line with the federal version, why not just not pass it, then you're covered under the federal version?

Yes, I understand this was a straight up hate bill the backfired magnificently in their faces

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/581451/supreme-court-tired-of-white-kids-whining-about-their-precious-american-flag

Remember the kids' parents complaining that they couldn't hate on non-whites in California with their patriotic t-shirts? SCOTUS was not impressed with their argument.

quote:

The Supreme Court has denied an appeal from California high school students who argue that school officials violated their right to free speech when they made them turn American flag T-shirts inside out. […]

The Supreme Court justices did not comment on their decision to reject the appeal in Dariano v. Morgan Hill Unified School District and leave the ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in place.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

I can't feel a shred of sympathy for Pence. He was warned about all of this beforehand by these institutions and the business community and legal experts and he purposefully chose to go ahead with it all in spite of that to appease the religious fringe. gently caress him and I hope all these organizations decide to not return to Indiana as long as he's governor.

I don't know why anyone would feel sympathy for Pence here. He signed the bill knowing full well that it would legitimize anti-gay discrimination, and then repeatedly lied about the bill when trying to defend it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I just don't understand this. If the bill is just a reproduction of the federal law, why pass it anyway? Don't local laws just inherit the laws above them if there's nothing set?

If you want it in line with the federal version, why not just not pass it, then you're covered under the federal version?

Yes, I understand this was a straight up hate bill the backfired magnificently in their faces

This is what it looks like when the roaches flee for the dark enclave under the refrigerator when the light comes on. He needs a reason for the bill to exist in the first place and it cant be the same reason it exits in Indiana (even though it is) so blame the Feds and hide behind the Feds at the same time and hope no one says anything.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

This has really got to piss off the city as they specifically passed anti-gay discrimination laws.

I work for a company that sells sports swag here in Indianapolis; I learned about it because I heard the boss screaming about it through the wall and googled to see

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I work for a company that sells sports swag here in Indianapolis; I learned about it because I heard the boss screaming about it through the wall and googled to see

If Pence doesn't have a quick pen, and by the sounds of it he doesn't or doesn't really care that much, hopefully you can also work for a company that sells sports swag in not Indianapolis as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Tonk posted:

http://wonkette.com/581451/supreme-court-tired-of-white-kids-whining-about-their-precious-american-flag

Remember the kids' parents complaining that they couldn't hate on non-whites in California with their patriotic t-shirts? SCOTUS was not impressed with their argument.
If there's anything SCOTUS hates more than minority rights, it's minors' rights at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Actually, it does kind of make sense. The federal law can be later changed to be even more liberal-friendly; if the state has their own law, it helps them lock things into place to slow down later advancement. Possibly delay things several years when it comes to it down the road.

• Locked thread