Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
DAs are the worst. Summarily deciding what charges to go forward on, drop, negotiate, etc. I've been assaulted twice in the past year and both are not officially documented in THE D&D STATS because they let the guys take lesser offense plea deals because HEY TRIALS ARE HARD OR SOMETHING.

Or my recent favorite... "Oh hey we know it's this guys third DUI but me and his lawyer are buddies so we let him plead to basic reckless driving"... five minutes later to the press... "Oh why won't someone think of the children! We should punish DUI drivers with tougher laws and penalties!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Tyro posted:

Or you do what I did at the 5 year mark - quit, go to grad school, have a blast, work in the private sector for a bit.

Then I hosed up and decided I missed it and came back.

At least I'm not in uniform any more.

I hope you didn't end up at your old department.

PM me some time bro.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Smiling Jack, not a member of the 1 or 2%. Even at that salary.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

BexGu posted:

Is waiting outside movie theaters after a Fast and Furious movie to catch people racing in the parking lot still a thing or did it die out after the third movie or so?

After the first movie actually. If you still have fart pipes on your car you deserve to be publicly ridiculed.

If you see cops waiting outside near the theater they probably are watching for drunks leaving the nearby bar, and actually have no idea the movie was playing.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Please tell me where.

Virginia. If it's misdemeanor assault not in my presence you can get your own drat warrant.

....That is to say it's an officers discretion to arrest, simply write a ticket for a misdemeanor, or advise warrants.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 2, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Bachelor. :quagmire:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

That's entirely dependent on the state and locality for the Sheriff's Office. Some VA Sheriff's do it all like patrol, jail, courts, etc. Some just do patrol and courts, some do just jail, some do just courts and paper, some just do traffic enforcement because they don't have a courthouse. It can really depend.

Then you got states like PA and DE where Sheriff's have essentially zero authority and are basically pointless agencies.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

I'm pro right to carry, and I'd like to know if you have it.

If I'm going to write you a ticket the fact that you have a CCW gives zero weight on my decision though. I probably decided the moment I pulled out of my spot if this is likely a warning stop or a cite stop.

Edit. The only time I've disarmed a ccw from someone on a stop was when they were drunk or high.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 3, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Feds or State level LE would be ok to make things more uniform but good luck if you think funding issues won't be twice as hosed, and you can kiss just about any real type of community policing goodbye.

Honestly I think increase funding a gently caress ton, and hire a ton of more cops at the local level. Then the local police will have the money and time to actually train, and also community police the way most people want. Several issues would be solved by just increasing budgets. Will never happen though.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Does that happen a lot, carrying with a permit while intoxicated?

Yeah, it does. Probably not "a lot", but a lot more than one would think.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

I have to give sworn testimony before a magistrate for every arrest, and I'm in court either as a witness or arresting officer several times a month. Sweet OT. I don't know how cops go years without testifying.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

deratomicdog posted:

Yeah, the trick to not testifying in court is not arresting anybody. Also, never become the only Intoximeter operator for the shift or you will get called in on your day off by rear end in a top hat lawyers who don't have any questions for you, they just want to see if you are going to show up.

<--- Breath Operator. Never. Not. In. Court.

But like I said the OT is pretty sweet.

Really though having to be in court for all these DUIs really is a waste of tax payer money. The defense always asks the same dumb operational and gotcha questions and all the state needs is me to show up to enter the results in to evidence. In reality being a certified operator should really exempt you from the process. If there is any questions of whether the test was run, or on the defendant, or whatever, there is a video of every test that is never used in court. Until then I'll keep paying for my vacations at the expense of drunks.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 4, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

If society wants me to train more, have the next level degree, work out more, community police more, and do all that other stuff your going to have to pay for it. Training time isn't cheap, colleges are expensive, the gym equipment at my station sucks, and walking a neighborhood foot beat consistently doesn't work when you have five calls holding and supervisors throwing fits over the response time. So if you increase our budget a ton, and hire at least double the cops we have now so we can do all this and still cover calls, I'd be grateful. Until then, welp.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

I'd consider FAMs if I could get points and frequent flyer miles on my work trips.

Be riding first class police like a boss.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

They suck, call me for legal advice instead. 1-800-FTP-4YOU.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

"There response is official."

Who wrote this? Untagged?

What happens when you phone post with no fucks given to swype's auto correct.

"There" refers to a place.
Examples: There is a library in the first building. It is over there.
Hint: If you can use the word "here," you have it right!

"They're" is a contraction of "they are"
Example: They're not in this building.
Hint: "They" is a pronoun and "are" is the verb.
If you can substitute "We are" you have it right!

"Their" is the possessive pronoun.
Example: Their library is located on the next street.
Hint: If you can substitute "our" you have it right!

This is a good website...

"Fortunately, people change and laws change and my son now has the racial make up to be president some day. Unfortunately some things never change."

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Fo3 posted:

What about the people from Tangier island VA?

As if Smith Island is any better.

I've actually spent a good amount of time on Tangier and can just about make out some of the words at this point. Some of the words.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Please phrase the posts in the form of a question or discussion. Thank you for your cooperation citizen.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Most move over laws include a section which says something like "if unable to change lanes drivers must slow down and pass with care". Some states are very specific about the slowing down part. You'll get a ticket and convicted in a lot of places even if you can't merge over because of your speed.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

You guys carry tasers with only one shot? Suckers need to upgrade.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

No real opinion. We're not allowed to speak with them. Forward to a supervisor or the PO. Although the reporters around here are always getting poo poo wrong, especially when it comes to police and public safety stories. So I can see where some of the discontent comes from. Although I did work for a newspaper for a while, so that might be one of the reasons I don't seem to openly hate them like some of my colleagues do.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Cole posted:

live in a place like Harrisonburg, VA

i located your problem

hope this helps

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

it's like charlottesville took a huge poo poo, and all the uva rejects and washouts from new jersey landed there instead. so close, yet so far.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

I worked as a park naturalist years ago at this lovely local park. It was pretty terrible, and boring as poo poo. The only part that saved it was the place was filled with maple trees which we tapped and made our own house brew pancake syrup right on site. When the boiler was going the contact sugar high of pure deliciousness was amazing.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

agreed, it makes em look loving awesome :dukedog:

:agreed:

also get some better radio discipline dude.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

:madmax:

Is that really you whip.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

If the damage is minor and there are no injuries we would make sure proper information is exchanged, but no crash report would be written. I would only be annoyed if you demand a report and/or the drivers won't act like adults and/or don't start exchanging information like they taught in drivers ed before I get there.

We get dispatched to everything that is called in. Even poo poo we shouldn't.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

You do not have to stop if the median is "positive", ie raised curb or grass, etc. If the highway is divided but the bus stops in an undivided intersection all traffic would have to stop because the highway is no longer divided at that point. ["Technically"].

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

safetyStanddown posted:

That's a p hosed up situation in general, imo, for a school bus to be dropping kids off on the side of the highway. I say if there's no crosswalk, then it's on the school bus to get the little motherfuckers across the street if need be, and you just roll the gently caress on.

pretty much 95% of america

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

An illusion of return, only after you shovel a ton of more cash out of your wallet the rest of the year.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

It's a good program, and several jurisdictions have been creating similar positions. Would never work here though, because if an officer takes someone for an involuntary evaluation they are at the hospital 6+ sometimes 12 hours or more. Now after just two calls our entire special squad if unavailable, and patrol is back at handling all the mental health related calls.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's a question: there have been a few cases recently where a prisoner insisted that they couldn't breathe, or needed a doctor, or were otherwise in distress, and the sheriffs basically laughed them off. Do a certain percentage of people you detain insist that the cuffs are too tight or otherwise act like they're dying, to the point that people start to tune it out, or were these sheriffs just shitheels?

Like 90% of people arrested complain about the handcuffs or associated pain like hand, wrist, arms, etc. Handcuffs are not designed for comfort and for people not accustomed to the feeling it can be a "pain". Like Whip said if someone complains about it you give it a quick check. More than likely though the arrestee is actually causing themselves more pain by the position they chose to put their hands or body.

Had a drunk chick the other night who kept "fainting" and hyperventilating screaming for medical attention. Was seen by a doctor, called a liar straight to her face by an MD and swiftly taken to jail. People sometimes believe faking a medical issue would get them out of lock up, or in her case a hit and run DUI. Generally better to be safe than sorry though and get it checked. If it's legit, then they receive the proper medical care and attention as required.

You'd be surprised how many people come down with sudden unexplained medical conditions after being arrested. I've seen several people request EMS and after being evaluated find out they will be on hook for the medical bills and are still going to jail immediately stop whatever they were doing and go "ok just take me".

Captain Bravo posted:

What's the saddest call you've ever worked?

Kids :(. Child abuse, as in physical, sexual, emotional, etc. are always the worst. Another is notifying family of a deceased family member. Whether it's because they were located in a house after they hadn't answered the phone for a few days, or you are just coming from a scene where they had been shot to death and have to let them know, etc.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 1, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Cole posted:

Is it possible the decision to charge them was influenced by politics?

It's Baltimore. Everything has to do with politics.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

So did the State's Attorney direct indict, or get warrants from either a Judge or MagistrateCommissioner? I've seen a few different news stories and none of them answer how the charges were filed or obtained. The charging documents should be made available, depending upon how they were done.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

They should be in MD Case Search, which is a publicly viewable database.

The specific charges will, but not the documents filed along with them like a criminal complaint. Unless something has changed. :wotwot:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Yeah, that is why I was wondering what the charging documents said for each guy. As in if they indicated reasons for the particular charges by way of probable cause statements or what.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Grem posted:

More riots when they're acquitted. Maybe they did something lovely (I think nickle rides are a little lovely), but there's not enough to convict them.

Remember that time you answered the radio call to go assist that transport van driver get that dude under control? Yeah, that dude ended up dying later and YOU ARE NOW CHARGED WITH MURDER. SURPRISE!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Volume posted:

at least three of them are being charged with False Imprisonment and that is a felony.

Yeah, that's not how it works.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

You are basically the public's babysitter? Sometimes the parent...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

I've been on five fire calls this week. FD pretty much won't go anywhere without staging and waiting for us first.

• Locked thread