Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
When the revolution comes, which side will the cops be on?

Also ITT ask me about how police oppress people in majority white rural communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
our stupid justice system is the biggest good ol boys club in America.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

After 5 years you burn out on this job but realize you're literally not qualified to do any other job except Walmart greeter so you stay here for another 15 years being miserable until you retire and die a few years later due to liver cirrhosis or heart failure because of years of McDonald's and sedentary living.

Living the dream.

make this the OP

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
i have an associates degree, in law enforcement.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
tiny county in a tiny state, but here sheriffs have full powers and are responsible for civil service and jails. Education is becoming one of the most important qualifiers for LE though, so if I want to leave this tiny poo poo hole I have to get educated.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, copgoons, quick question. Do any of your departments actually do any practical threat assessment training on the regular? I'm talking about the sort that actually includes practical exercises in when to escalate to violence.

I keep hearing in local political bullshit that part of the problem with any sort of reform is that there "just isn't any budget" for training, and I'm curious as to your experiences.

Like all government agencies, police budgets have been fairly slashed to the bare minimum, and unless you work for a large department that hosts trainings, sending officers to training means hotel rooms, class fees, and overtime which adds up quick.

shortspecialbus posted:

If you pull someone over who has a CCW and they're up front and polite about the whole thing, are you more likely to give them a ticket? Someone suggested the cop would be sufficiently upset about the whole thing that they would be more likely to give you a ticket, but my impression was more that they probably wouldn't even take the firearm unless they had a reason to, and wouldn't be more inclined to demand a search or whatever.

depends on the cop. You might get the guy who is terrified of his shadow and when you say gun he pulls you out and pats you down and removes your gun and then treats you like a felon or you might get the guy that doesnt give a poo poo. I've never encountered standardized training on how to deal with CCW carriers, and I personally feel that if someone notifies me they are carrying i don't care if they keep it on them.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I think straight federalization of the police is the way to go. There needs to be one national standard for case law, statutes, training, hiring etc. And realistically this is possible because you can still achieve the same level of service by having X amount of cops in the geographical area that used to be the county or city or whatever just have them answer to the feds. Local government is a relic from a time when communication between the state capital in pierre and sioux falls would take a week cause some rear end in a top hat had to ride his horse there to get the governors permission or whatever. Hell it could work for all levels of government. Why do I gotta call public works to plow my street in the winter, but if I go a mile out of town the county highway shop does it, and then if its a state highway DOT handles it.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
i'm a hard leftist so i admit i want everybody to think like me, but I hate more than anything that the idiots that populate this state make decisions about things like gay marriage and abortion but you go to neighboring minnesota and poo poo like that is legal and unfucked with. Thats the kind of poo poo i'd like to see eliminated.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
we take guns off DWI drivers probably 15-20% of the time. usually its in the center console of their truck which still counts as ccw I believe.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Cole posted:

isn't this why a bunch of people will elect to go to court? just in hopes that the officer won't show?

a question about speeding tickets (or really any ticket that will get you points on your license). a guy posted a thread in AI a while back talking about how he has gotten out of a bunch of speeding tickets. he still pays a fine, but the points get dropped. he basically requests a court date and i guess strikes a plea that he will pay the fine and not waste time with court if they will just keep points off his license. this might be something i made up when really stoned, but it was something.

any truth to that? i guess you don't have to answer but if you don't answer we are gonna know anyway. like "do you have aids?" "i'm not gonna answer that." p. sure you got aids.

Something like 98% of court cases end up with plea deals. Its almost better to plead not guilty initially and take a plea than to plead guilty to any charge. So I could say that that advice is fairly sound although jurisdiction may vary. Also about not showing up, I would get in serious trouble with my boss at a minimum if I didn't show up for any court date. It's been awhile since i've even been to court but I swear we get subpoenas when we have to appear for poo poo, so theoretically we could face legal trouble for not showing up.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I'd almost argue that theres more fit tacticop wolf hunter douche bags that are shoot happy than fat cops. i can't back this up with any sort of evidence except personal experience and facebook like pages.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Untagged posted:

If society wants me to train more, have the next level degree, work out more, community police more, and do all that other stuff your going to have to pay for it. Training time isn't cheap, colleges are expensive, the gym equipment at my station sucks, and walking a neighborhood foot beat consistently doesn't work when you have five calls holding and supervisors throwing fits over the response time. So if you increase our budget a ton, and hire at least double the cops we have now so we can do all this and still cover calls, I'd be grateful. Until then, welp.

The calls holding thing is the biggest. Cops respond to so much poo poo that we have no business responding to that we end up chasing the radio all night since cities/counties try to have as few of us working as possible and just trying to maintain a ratio of x cops per 10,000 citizens or whatever.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
More like agenda 21 fema officer am I right

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I dont even understand what I just read

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Nobody has to subtitle a south dakotan when they are on tv though :smug:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
and then lied about it in his report and possibly planted a weapon

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Vaha i'm pretty sure the no angel hashtag is for big girls to tell victoria secret to gently caress off

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
if you listen closely at the start of the video you can hear what sounds like the taser discharging, so yeah even if the guy had it it would be useless as an incapacitation device

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
drive stun doesn't incapacitate, only cause pain, and its not even that painful.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
depends. Fleeing usually only earns you some stick time. Race obviously is a factor in determining length of sticking or if bullets are necessary.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
sometimes i wish a reporter would come to work with me just so i'd have someone to talk to at night.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I just want to say that in rural america where minorities are always scarce, we are prefectly content ruining white peoples days.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Hillbillies?

Also, I think you'd go in the right lane if you wanted to go straight. Left lane is for left turns. Were the lanes not marked?

corn/soybean and hog confinements are the main industries in my area, everybody is a redneck. SD is 8th in beef production and 11th in pork production nationwide. You're welcome motherfuckers.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
drunk women are seriously the loving worst followed by their white knight friends when it comes to arresting people.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
are jails in canada nice at least? Do you harass english only inmates by only speaking to them in french? Is that considered torture? instead of water boarding do you guys maple syrup board people?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
some of us prefer blueberry syrup on our breakfast foods.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
i'm from minnesota, also known as south canada, so I can canadashame all day.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Shooting Blanks posted:

Cronuts or GTFO

look at this bougie gently caress right here. Where I live you are lucky to get gas station donuts and coffee, none of that fancy stuff. Give me a box of caseys day olds and burnt coffee

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
sounds pretty standard for our justice system. Our judge just sentenced a guy to 60 days in jail time served for felony protection order violation after this guy had literally 20 violations in the last 4 years. Our whole system of government and justice is a goddamn joke. America proves that equality is earned at the barrel of a gun until full communism or the nukes rain down from the heavens bringing scientific justice to all our asses

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
blueberries are delicious for real though.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
All Cisgenders Are Binary

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
that definitely won't make police look good.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/traffic/accident.htm

you only need to report it if damage is greater than 1,000 dollars or somebody is injured or dies. Otherwise just exchange info. Officer would be annoyed accident reports suck.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
why do we even let kids go to school anymore? Send em to the factories.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
It is imperative that we treat people with mental health issues better from a law enforcement perspective, but that article is right, we receive almost no training on the subject. I'd prefer to see a full time 24/7 unit of actual mental health professionals with LE backing doing this kind of work than cops with a few weeks extra training, but every little bit helps. Of course all the extra training in the world doesn't matter when the only place for a homeless mentally ill person to get any sort of help is in jail.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good cop memoirs/books? I read Edaward Conlon's Blue Blood and David Simon's A Year on the Killing Streets, the latter one being really great.

http://www.amazon.com/BOOT-Officers...ookie+year+boot

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
lol

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
paper bag test

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
all I know is if you look at that dudes criminal history its a perfect example of why we need to end the drug war

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
he was hosed from birth, but a world in which we don't criminalize drugs and instead legalize some and regulate them along with some actual restorative justice instead of just sending them to criminal MBA school means that kids in the future won't grow up thinking that a lifestyle of crime is the way to get the capitalist dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
firefighters definitely charge money for fires, here at least.

• Locked thread