Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

DocBubonic posted:

I run GURPS games. A lot of them. GURPS has a lot of disadvantages available. If someone submits a character with a lot of disadvantages, I'm not going to let that character into the game. Its simple for me. If I think someone is taking disadvantages for the sole purpose of getting more points, then I force them to change their character. I also expect the player to justify what disadvantages they take. so they have to explain why they might have a phobia of something that is rarely seen.

Also if someone takes a disadvantage, then they should expect it to show up. If anyone takes alcoholism in one of my games, they shoudl realize that alcohol is going to show up in some fashion. They can accuse me of railroading if they want, but they made that choice with their character.

If I don't think a disadvantage is going to show up in a game, then I'll just not allow that disadvantage (or lower the point value of it).

I think that if a player takes disadvantages, then they should expect that those disadvantages are going to have an affect on the game.
This is all poor design though, because the game actively incentives just the opposite of what you're stating you want from it. The fact that you have to police character submissions is a big red flag that the system is actively working against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ImpactVector posted:

b) The non-mechanical flaws are generally expected to be policed by the GM, which increases their workload.

I've heard this as a knock against FATE's compels actually. The argument was that the GM had to remember a handful of completely different flaws for every character, which is a lot of situational data to keep track of. He said he enjoyed running FATE PBP where he had time to review his notes before each move, but at the table he felt he was constantly forgetting and then missing good opportunities to compel his players.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fosborb posted:

I've heard this as a knock against FATE's compels actually. The argument was that the GM had to remember a handful of completely different flaws for every character, which is a lot of situational data to keep track of. He said he enjoyed running FATE PBP where he had time to review his notes before each move, but at the table he felt he was constantly forgetting and then missing good opportunities to compel his players.

He does know that players can self-compel, right?

And really any Fate GM worth his salt has a list of everyone's high concept, trouble, and apex skill for quick reference.

e: although I suppose it's also that mindset that a lot of players have where they immediately look at their sheet when they need to decide what to do, rather than just saying what they want to do and seeing what applies.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 3, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ImpactVector posted:

The fact that you have to police character submissions is a big red flag that the system is actively working against you.

No it isn't. You pretty much have to police submissions in every game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well of course the flaw has to come up in play to be relevant and award character points, otherwise why are you even getting points for that?
So why should you get points at character creation, when the flaw has had exactly 0 chances to have an effect on anything? ImpactVector nailed pretty much every salient point perfectly. A much better method is to give out points as the flaw affects the game, and only when it's a negative for your character. That way the flaw is always worth whatever the impact is on the character instead of some arbitrarily set value, and you can't load up on useless flaws to get useful merits. If your character has Bad Eyesight and wears glasses to correct it, you shouldn't get xp until your character has his glasses knocked off.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yawgmoth posted:

So why should you get points at character creation, when the flaw has had exactly 0 chances to have an effect on anything? ImpactVector nailed pretty much every salient point perfectly. A much better method is to give out points as the flaw affects the game, and only when it's a negative for your character. That way the flaw is always worth whatever the impact is on the character instead of some arbitrarily set value, and you can't load up on useless flaws to get useful merits. If your character has Bad Eyesight and wears glasses to correct it, you shouldn't get xp until your character has his glasses knocked off.

are you intentionally arguing to absurdity or what

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Evil Mastermind posted:

He does know that players can self-compel, right?

And really any Fate GM worth his salt has a list of everyone's high concept, trouble, and apex skill for quick reference.

e: although I suppose it's also that mindset that a lot of players have where they immediately look at their sheet when they need to decide what to do, rather than just saying what they want to do and seeing what applies.

I assume he does know that yes, though my understanding is that some compels really need the story guided in certain directions in order to be relevant.

The argument was that keeping track of all of those elements, even on a quick reference, + all the usual GM-y things like the general scene, NPCs, overall plot, does everyone have enough beer, etc, resulted in missed opportunities to compel at the table which he'd recognize after the fact and then feel like he wasn't running the game as good as he could be.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

While it's true that it's good when a GM can introduce these compels, the fact that players get rewarded for bringing them up (self-compels) means that they don't actually have to, because the players will seek them out themselves.

Then again, if your players aren't proactive about this kind of thing, yeah that does dump it back on the GM's shoulders. But that's true of any player participation.

Captain Foo posted:

Really? I don't think I've really had to do anything for the last few I've run (Dungeon World, Fate Atomic Robo, and FFG Star Wars).

If you're talking strictly PBP that's a whole other thing, mostly down to the relative anonymity of the submissions I would think. We were talking about checking for pure (subjective) system abuse, which is definitely a system thing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pbp uber alles

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

While it's true that it's good when a GM can introduce these compels, the fact that players get rewarded for bringing them up (self-compels) means that they don't actually have to, because the players will seek them out themselves.
The problem is that a lot of players aren't used to that idea. It's like how some people only see compels as punishment rather than a reward for playing your character as written.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

never not police anime directly out of your threads with extreme brutality

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

ImpactVector posted:

This is all poor design though, because the game actively incentives just the opposite of what you're stating you want from it. The fact that you have to police character submissions is a big red flag that the system is actively working against you.

The system actively encourages tinkering with the system. The two GURPS basic books present a lot of information and options. Far more then what anyone would want. There's options for everything from magic to having space sickness resulting from being in free fall in space. Going into this the GM has to figure out what's in and what's out.

Also the amount of points characters can get from disadvantages is dependent on the GM. If I think that players are going to abuse the disadvantage system, then I could just as easily limit the amount of points they can take from disadvantages.

Captain Foo posted:

I agree with Foo here. The game system doesn't matter when it comes to policing submissions.

ImpactVector posted:

Really? I don't think I've really had to do anything for the last few I've run (Dungeon World, Fate Atomic Robo, and FFG Star Wars).

If you're talking strictly PBP that's a whole other thing, mostly down to the relative anonymity of the submissions I would think. We were talking about checking for pure (subjective) system abuse, which is definitely a system thing.

I'm pretty sure people could abuse the three systems you mention. Yes, its more likely to happen in a system like GURPS, but it could still happen in other systems.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 3, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

are you intentionally arguing to absurdity or what
It's Yawgmoth.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's Yawgmoth.

Is there an implication I should be aware of here?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

never not police anime directly out of your threads with extreme brutality

Police yourself inside the electric chair.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Is there an implication I should be aware of here?
He's an idiot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's an idiot.

Takes one to know one, I guess??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Police yourself inside the electric chair.

Rude

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

The problem is that a lot of players aren't used to that idea. It's like how some people only see compels as punishment rather than a reward for playing your character as written.
Yeah, it's definitely something that can happen, which is why I added the caveat. Players can be resistant to any kind of participation mechanism though, even stuff like *W's "ask questions, use the answers". And while there's nothing wrong with that, I'd honestly take it as a signal that that game maybe isn't right for that group (or they might need some time to adjust).

And anyway, like I said earlier, at worst you're probably not any worse off than if you have to keep a list of character flaws to bring up in game.

DocBubonic posted:

The system actively encourages tinkering with the system. The two GURPS basic books present a lot of information and options. Far more then what anyone would want. There's options for everything from magic to having space sickness resulting from being in free fall in space. Going into this the GM has to figure out what's in and what's out.

Also the amount of points characters can get from disadvantages is dependent on the GM. If I think that players are going to abuse the disadvantage system, then I could just as easily limit the amount of points they can take from disadvantages.
The fact that the players are incentivized to "abuse" the system is what I take issue with here.

Nerdpost incoming:

When you break it down, a game is really just a system of incentivized actions with risks and rewards attached. If that system encourages gameplay that runs counter to what's desired by those playing it then the system is flawed for that specific purpose.

The same thing happens in board games. If your victory conditions and the way you achieve those conditions don't match what's "fun" or thematic you'll see similar critiques. For example Twilight Imperium (sans expansions) is often criticised for encouraging turtling because that's the best way to make sure you have the ability to score victory points.

IMO, the issue here is that we don't have the culture in the RPG community of critiquing games on these grounds. Much more emphasis is put on a game's fluff (which, in a narrative/imaginative medium like RPGs is still pretty important) in relation to how well a given game fits a desired purpose. Or if we're really examining critically, whether a game is completely broken or not.

DocBubonic posted:

I agree with Foo here. The game system doesn't matter when it comes to policing submissions.

I'm pretty sure people could abuse the three systems you mention. Yes, its more likely to happen in a system like GURPS, but it could still happen in other systems.
It depends on your definition of "abuse" I guess. In Star Wars for example, generally the most optimal choice at character creation is to dump as many points as possible into the attributes you're using because it's hard to raise them later. But I wouldn't really call that "abuse". You're just doing what the system incentivizes, and things work out fine if you do.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

ImpactVector posted:

It depends on your definition of "abuse" I guess. In Star Wars for example, generally the most optimal choice at character creation is to dump as many points as possible into the attributes you're using because it's hard to raise them later. But I wouldn't really call that "abuse". You're just doing what the system incentivizes, and things work out fine if you do.

Yeah, I'm not sure it counts as abuse when IIRC the game actually explicitly tells you to do this. (Though I do wonder if those instructions weren't in the beta and got added via feedback later.)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure it counts as abuse when IIRC the game actually explicitly tells you to do this. (Though I do wonder if those instructions weren't in the beta and got added via feedback later.)
That exactly was the case.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, that's a really good point. I can't remember off the top of my head if the book actually explicitly encourages you to buy up attributes, but I think it does (and looks like MSW confirms it does). And if it didn't that'd be a huge system mastery trap.

And I'm definitely not holding up FFG SW as a paragon of design. The dice are cool IMO and encourage interesting outcomes, but the rocket tag-y combat doesn't really do all that great of a job of emulating the feel of the movies. It feels like they fell a bit short in tweaking the system from the brutal WHFRP3 it's descended from.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The problem I have with systems like GURPS when it comes down to it is that you can very easily end up with Pun-Pun builds. You can exploit advantages to cover up disadvantages and still come out ahead in points, more often than not.

If I were given a choice between flaws for points and a FATE-like system, I would choose FATE every time. Players will actually try to act within character to get sweet FATE points to power their feats.

Captain Foo posted:

I'm still slightly salty that this character was never picked for a WH40K PBP. Should not have been (fun)policed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669915&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post435871222
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669915&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post435891682

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

unseenlibrarian posted:

Then why give the choice at all? Archeologist Wookie seems feasible until you get to the mid/end game and realize the character doesn't have nearly the narrative control optimized characters get.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

Pbp uber alles

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

Then why give the choice at all? Archeologist Wookie seems feasible until you get to the mid/end game and realize the character doesn't have nearly the narrative control optimized characters get.
Any game with choices is going to have some level of system mastery. I think the key is that both the fluff and the rules be clear and consistent about what you should be choosing.

That said, you're right that race/class/attribute combinations are often a pretty big source of traps. I think the clarification that attributes are important helps, but it's still not a design decision that'll make everyone happy. If you want more leeway to play against type you probably wouldn't want race to affect your attributes at all.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

black potus posted:

what are dads for if not punching weird old nerds

It like the explanation point on darwinian selection.

Serious post, like plut said, I know no one here would do that, BUT DON'T DO THAT, my sister was a social worker that had to clear up a mess that started as a brawl on the dad's boardgame night.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 3, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LuiCypher posted:

The problem I have with systems like GURPS when it comes down to it is that you can very easily end up with Pun-Pun builds. You can exploit advantages to cover up disadvantages and still come out ahead in points, more often than not.

If I were given a choice between flaws for points and a FATE-like system, I would choose FATE every time. Players will actually try to act within character to get sweet FATE points to power their feats.

I'm still slightly salty that this character was never picked for a WH40K PBP. Should not have been (fun)policed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669915&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post435871222
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669915&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post435891682

I haven't clicked, but I can certainly day there's a difference between not choosing a character and policing that character away

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Takes one to know one, I guess??
I thought everyone knew Yawgmoth was an idiot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought everyone knew Yawgmoth was an idiot.

It appears you are wrong.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

For all that's worth izzo/pewds played as the football guy on another 40k game but he left and I entered as replacement as an ork-starved birdman until my vacation ended. It was a fun game tho its just that it was right on time I had classes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

It appears you are wrong.
I envy you, honestly.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

I envy you, honestly.

Envy is an unhealthy emotion.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Captain Foo posted:

Envy is an unhealthy emotion.

this is true and also why envy is not elegantly simulated in any game because designers are responsible and good people.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fosborb posted:

this is true and also why envy is not elegantly simulated in any game because designers are responsible and good people.

Isn't monster hearts driven almost entirely by envy and angst?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
To be honest so is playing 5e.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Alternative: no you're thinking of Pathfinder.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
"Exalted" would also be an acceptable answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

ImpactVector posted:

The alternative is something like Fate's aspects, where you're rewarded for having your flaws actually cause trouble for you during the game. That way the player doesn't feel like they're getting shafted when these things come up (especially if they have a way to opt out of the behavior), and often even seek out or suggest these kinds of situations, which takes the pressure off the GM to bring flaws into play.

I've found the disadvantage is a reward cycle of "My problem monopolizes play which is cool, and I get rewarded for it which is cool, so I better trigger it all the goddamn time." Fun for the player, not as much fun for the group. Collectivizing rewards (see group beats in NWoD) helps a bit. So does formalizing when these things enter play. Hero and GURPS do use formal conditions for some disadvantages. Combined with disad. point limits (yes, you can tweak them, but you should have *a* limit) and the fact that before 2000, there was some assumption in game design that you did not secretly mistrust and despise other people at the table, disadvantages really are something negotiated between the player and GM based on what the player wants to do and what the GM wants to introduce into play. Characterizing this as "policing" is carrying some adversarial baggage.

These days though I don't like them as some kind of negative character "value" because hey, that poo poo gets kind of ablist from a certain perspective. In GURPS there's the notion of point-based valuation where disads represent a sort of problematic notion of ability. NWoD frames its equivalent as a source of challenging situations, comparable with other challenges characters encounter, with access to the same kinds of rewards.

• Locked thread